Pieces Of Time | Teen Ink

Pieces Of Time

It was late at night, the moon shone over the city. At one particular area, people were dancing and just having a good time some from inside a nearby club. Lights and loud music leaking out of its walls. Coda; who was clearly intoxicated. Sluggishly stepped out of the club trying to keep himself balanced. “Will you be alright?” asked a bearded man standing next to the exit. “Yeah, yeah I'll be fine,” said Coda drowsily. Mumbling to himself while trying to count his money to go to a fast food restaurant, he dropped his money onto the road. Trying to get it back, he stumbled forward, not noticing the car coming towards him. “Watch out!” was the last thing Coda heard before getting hit by the car. He hit the windshield of the car, bounced off, and landed on the concrete on his face and went still.
Everyone gathered around not knowing what to do. Some holding each other while some would just cover their faces with their hand. By the time the Death got to the scene, Codas soul had left his body and wondered into the city. Death notices Codas unique blue soul from the red ones. Death sighs and leaves the lifeless body as the ambulance arrive. Death passes through the crowded streets unseen as she has lost sight of the blue soul getting further and further from the noise into a much quieter part of the city. Coda still far ahead, everything so out of place but he didn’t know what. Everything spunned as he wandered without a clue, Death was nearby. Stopping at a traffic light; he spots a fox who is also looking back at him curiously. The fox scurried away and through the fence of the cities park. Coda intrigued by the fox followed the fox, phasing easily through the fence. Looking at his surroundings were tall and green pine trees with the moon illuminating his path. There stood a lonesome bench calling out his name. He sat down enjoying the night sky. From within the forest, Death appeared and without a word sat next to Coda.
Coda looked down at his blue hands and looked up at Death mouth agape, Death stared back. He then slowly looked away rested his head on his hands. Death mirrored his movements, both staring into vast unknown of the forest. “You said it,” Coda began. “Are you going to kill me?” He looked up with a small grin. “No,” answered Death, “you're already dead.” He gave an empty chuckle. They once again sat in silence but it was much shorter than the last one. “I-I’m sure we can come to some sort of arrangement. We can just pretend. Tell them you lost me?” Coda stuttered out, waiting for a response from the ghastly being next to him. Death asked, “Tell who?” Coda started. “The umm...the oh I don't know.” he then asked, “what now?” “That’s up to you.” Responded Death. “Okay,eh” Coda said, not a second later he got up and started to run down a path that laid before him. Death stood there. As she spread out arms to lift her cloak like a bat she said “It’s time” and lifted into the air, hard winds started to shake the pine trees “No hang on! Let's uh...talk about this?” Coda now slowing down and turning to look at Death who was hovering over him. “Just sit down on the bench again? Have a chat? I-I just need more time.” Death slowly landed in front of him letting her arms fall to her side. Looking down at him her mask covering any evidence of emotion asked. “More?” “Yes!” Exclaimed Coda. Death spread out her arms once again, “So be it.” With those words she flew towards Coda. “No hang on, Let’s talk about this, no!” he yelled before being engulfed in the darkness of Death's cloak.
Everything, was dark. Little flashes of light would appears and disappear as fast as it came. More darkness. Then a rose appeared from with the black void and there held by the petals was a baby; Coda. As the rose fell apart Coda floated, not really going anywhere. Coda opened his beady eyes, and saw Death's mask swoop in and without hesitation took off her mask to show a woman's face. “Mother,” Said Coda with stretched out arms as he floated closer to Death. “Yes.” She responded. “I am born. Am I safe?” “Of course you are. I have you.” She cradled his small body. “Take me in you arms. I wish to see the sky and feel the weather on my skin.” “Here.” She lifted Coda and the once black void turned into the light blue sky. “Don't drop me.” he said. The sky darkened and started to rain. “I won't.” Death replied. The rain was coming from one lone cloud. It started to fall apart to expose the now dark blue night sky with stars twinkling. Death holds Coda above the stars. “I wish to hear the sea and smell the damp woods.” “Here.” She let go of Coda and watched him drift  down into the sea. Coda got washed up to the shore and into the damp woods. Centipedes, spiders ants started to crawl out of the ground and got under Coda. “Look at the ants.” “Yes.” The ants then turned into Death and grabbed Coda from the ankle. “Now.” Coda replied in a heartbeat. “Show me fire burning.”
Death walked into the damp woods still holding on to Coda. The woods then merged into the inside of a house. As Death stepped in deeper into the house her cloak slid off, and out came an old man. “Grandfather! Where am I? Where are we?” Asked Coda as he looked around the room. “We are among friends. Yours and mine, some, both.” People were dancing around a fire from inside the house, without a care in the world. Death phased through the wall into a blue room, into a red room, and into a pink room. “Why did we never speak?” asked Coda as they went up some stairs. “I don't know.” Was the short reply. Everything went black again and the old man turned back into Death. “Now, It’s time.” She once again held Coda in her hands. “No. Show me many things so that I remember.” Death threw Coda up into the black abyss where he just floated and was surrounded by many sea creatures. He then floated off to see dog, cats, lions, pigs, monkeys, gorillas, wolves, snakes, and much more. Then bones started to form as hands and faces trying to grab Coda. “Now.” repeated Death. “More!” With those words the skeletons fell apart falling into nowhere, Coda fell with them. He then was surrounded by planes, wheels, and technology. “Now.” said Death once again. “More!” exclaimed Coda as he fell into the atmosphere of the earth. He floated above horizons and fields. “More.” he said a little quieter as he landed onto Death's hand and fell asleep.
Death brought him to her now masked faced,  lowered him a little as if cradling him. They were now back at the park, on top of the bench where they first met. She stepped down, and covered Coda with a little part of her cloak as if it was a blanket. With the other hand she grabbed her cloak and pulled it of herself, and disappeared for the last time. The fox saw Death leave, looked around, and walked away. unconcerned of what had happened.