The With to be Crowned | Teen Ink

The With to be Crowned

By ffaheem01, Keller, Texas
ffaheem01, Keller, Texas

The Witch to be Crowned
                   .
Once upon a time there was a lovely Queen and powerful King, that had a beautiful daughter , with hazel eyes and beautiful, silky, dirty blonde hair who sadly, had a green star on her wrist, a sign of being a witch. Although the Royal family put in so much effort, they couldn’t keep the secret of their daughter being a witch. People of that era believed that witches were only evil without a drop of good in them, when they really weren’t all that awful. This belief led to many people abandoning their children, including the royal family after their daughter's secret was public, Princess Iris.
Iris was abandoned on the outskirts of the kingdom, in a forest known as “The Glass Forest” where not many witches were usually abandoned due to how far it was from the kingdoms. That forest was a special kind of forest because there was only one way in and only one out that had many dangerous creatures in it. In this forest you could find only two witches including Iris and another called Eli, who cared for the Princess. Iris’s story was well known throughout the kingdom, how she was of the royal family and how she was abandoned. Iris was also known for trying new spells, practicing magic, which usually ended into a great disaster of gas and explosions.  
One day, as Iris was practicing her magic, she accidentally casted a spell which caused a disease to spread to three kingdoms, including the one her parents ruled. The disease which her spell caused killed many people including her parents.Only Iris knew what caused the disease while everyone else thought that it was just a curse coming from nature, one that caused the kingdom the loss of their beloved Queen and King.
  Since Iris was a part of the royal family, she was the next in line to rule, but if she went back to the kingdom she would have gotten killed, because not one human liked witches around them, due to all the “evil” in them. Afterall, people feared what they didn’t know.
It was a big deal whether or not Iris left the forest to become the next ruler of the kingdom. If Iris did then there would be a chance that she could stop people from blindly hating and trying to kill witches, and abandoning their children because they are witches. Not forgetting that if Iris was not the next ruler there would have been a great chance that the next ruler would start a war between witches and humans, simply making the relationship even worst.
Even though Iris knew that her being the queen would surely help end the hatred of witches, Iris would have to go through the Throneful Forest, the only way out of the Glass forest. This forest was known for the dangerous creatures that lived in it, specifically the Soulless one, which Iris feared the most, for she had encountered it while it took the soul of the witch that cared for her, Eli.
After Iris listed out all what her ruling would and would not cause, she made her, what she believed,  final decision. Though she noticed that her ruling had much more positive effects than negative effects, she chose the easier way of not going to the kingdom and getting crowned as  the next leader,  and instead just staying where she is. Iris, like many other people was scared of doing something wrong and hurting someone; she wasn’t planning to risk anything anymore. Iris thought about and shed many tears over her decision every day since it all started and was really disappointed of her choice, but never changed because of all the fear she had in her.
As Iris was walking one day through the Glass Forest, like she usually did to calm her mind that was like an angry sea, she noticed something very different about the forest, which she knew every inch of like the back of her hand. There has been a new member that entered the forest. Iris kept on walking with, she could feel her heart in her throat. The bushes shook and so did she, Iris got herself ready to face what was coming. The bush shook more and her heartbeat grew louder, and a crow came out which turned into little boy and bringing Iris to the conclusion that the new member is a witch.
“M..my name is Philip,” said a frail little voice coming from the frail little body. Iris looked at the ground, “I am sorry I didn’t mean to cause you any fear,” the boy said as  he got closer, Iris could hear his heavy breathing. “ No one has entered the forest in the past 18 years, I was the last one to enter,” Iris said. She turned and started walking away, Philip followed her, “Can you help me out, I have been lost for almost a week now,” “Please,” Philip begged and his large brown chocolate eyes began to water. Time froze for Iris, and for a second, she remembered the first time she met Eli.
“How old are you kid?” Iris asked as she looked back at the boy, and Philip looked back at her, studying every detail of her face ,“ Iris, right? Isn’t that your name?” A pause followed and a loud sigh came from Iris. “Don’t play with my patience kid,” she said annoyed, “ I am six,” Philip said, his voice a little shaky. Iris started walking again and then Philip followed, “ So are you, Iris?”  Philip asked as Iris took a deep breath and noded. She got ready for the wave of questions she was about to be hit by. “ Are you going to go back to the kingdom to be crowned?” She looked at him, she rolled her eyes, “ No,” she replied. Philip looked at her in disbelief, and asked,  “Why not?”. Iris though for a moment while she decided how to put this in simple language.“I will ruin everything , and it is dangerous, you will understand when you grow up,” Iris said and noticed the curiosity on Philip's face turning into sadness, “My parents always said that” he said with sadness filling his voice and tears escaping his eyes and then rolling down his cheek.
“ I had to leave them because someone found out I was a witch and they didn’t want me to be harmed,” he continued, Iris tried to change the topic, “ Do you think I should go back to the kingdom?” “ I guess,” Philip replied as he wiped his cheeks, Iris felt bad for the boy and started to reconsider her decision of whether to go to the kingdom or not, she wanted Philip to be with his family again, living in happiness and she knew the only way to do so was if she was the next ruler. Iris and Philip talked their way to her house. They talked about how they would prepare for the trip, all the creatures that lived in the Throneful Forest and the problems they might deal with through journey
As soon as the sun came back up Iris and Philip got ready and started their journey. Iris was very scared and hoped that all the years she has practiced her magic in will hopefully come in handy, while Philip was filled with excitement. After many miles of walking in the cool of the day, Iris and Philip got to the end of the Glass Forest,and the beginning of the Throneful Forest. Iris took a deep breathe and followed the path leading into the throneful forest, followed by Philip who was so amazed by the forest.                   
After a few minutes of walking, the path they were following split, so Iris started working on a spell to show her which path she should take. Halfway through the spell Iris notices Philip staring at a white flower, but he didn’t look normal, this is when Iris realized that this flower was the flower of the Siren Fairy, which would get the attention of anyone passing by it and slowly poisons them as they are looking at it. Iris grabbed Philip and took him away from the flower and gave him a potion she packed to restore his attention. “What happened,” Philip asked when Iris   hugged him tightly and said,  “Don't worry everything is going to be fine. I won’t let you get hurt”.
Iris and Philip walked through the right path according to the spell, but then Iris suddenly stopped. “ We are going back it is not safe out here for you,” Iris said, she had been thinking about going back after the flower incident, because she was so worried something worse might happen to her or Philip. “No, why would we ever go back, I am not going back, because I always finish what I start and so do you,” Philip argued. “Philip, please it is not safe out here I don't want you to get hurt,” Iris said in a hopeless effort. “You need to stop thinking you will destroy everything because if you don't you will destroy yourself,” Philip said angrily, while Iris stood quiet thinking to herself about what Philip said, “ I promise you I won't get hurt,” Iris looked at him, then started following him through the path the spell led them to.
Iris and Philip watched out carefully for any creatures that might harm them, and there were many through their walk. As Iris and Philip were walking the last miles of the forest, Iris  saw a familiar face, it was her mother, Philip started walking back as Iris walked forward in disbelief. “ I thought you died,” Iris said and her mom replied ,“I didn’t, now don’t I deserve a hug after all these years,” Iris started walking towards her mother and hugged her. “ Do you still have the picture of me and your father by any chance,” her mother said “ Yes, I only have one,” Iris replied , “ Would you mind if I see it,” her mother asked. “No you can’t, I know who you are,” Iris quickly said, “It’s okay I got it myself,” her mother said as she turned into the soulless one. Iris panics, because  when the soulless one has an object that is important to someone he can make the person the object belongs to their servant . Iris grabbed the picture, but then the soulless one laughed, Iris then realizes that the only way to stop the soulless one was to rip the picture. Iris had the picture since she was 3, when she was abandoned, it was the only thing she hadn’t destroyed yet, Iris took a deep breath and then ripped the picture.
The Soulless one disappeared while Iris stood in disbelief. She had never thought that she would destroy something as important as that picture, and what surprised her even more is that she didn’t mess anything up. She realized that it is not that big of a deal to ruin things sometimes and that not getting over it is causing her many problems. Not only that, but she also got to face the Soulless one and was able to escape its evil powers.  Phillip rushed to her side, “Are you okay,” he said urgently. “Yeah I’m fine, ” Iris replied. “There is no time to stop now, we must continue on our journey before it’s too late and someone else is crowned,” Iris continued. They then walked a few more miles through the forest till they finally got out of the Throneful Forest.
Iris for the first time in 18 years was able to feel the warmth of the sun on her face, outside the Glass Forest. As Philip and Iris started walking towards the burning sun they started to see people, hear music, and smell the fresh made bread in the bakeries. As they they were walking they heard a woman screaming, “The daughter of the King and the Queen has returned!”. Philip and Iris were not the only ones who heard the woman but also many farmers, who got their torches and pitchforks and started chasing Iris and Philip.They rounded a corner to try and lose the angry citizens of the kingdom, they lost them but ran into a pale and sick looking girl in her mother’s hands, who was crying because her daughter was dying.
Philip looked at the sick girl and said, “ I can help your daughter.” the mother of the girl looked at him in hopelessness , “ do whatever you need to do,” she replied, as her tears created rivers on her face as she talked. Philip got Iris to sit by the girl, “fix her,” he said as he stared at Iris with his little brown eyes . “What,” Iris replied in a voice filled with confusion, Philip looked at her and pointed at the sick girl, then waited for her to help the little girl. Just before Iris thought about how she might make a mistake and make the girl suffer more than she already is, she remembered the picture she ripped, and decided to just try her best. Iris then muttered a few words under her spell, casting a spell which she used when she got sick to feel better.
When Iris  finished saying the spell, the girl’s eyes opened and she got up and looked her at her mom in confusion, “Thank you so much, you saved her, but you are a witch, why did you do that,” the mother said as she hugged her daughter with the rivers of tears on her face branching out. “Not all of us are bad,” Philip said as he smiled at Iris and continued “, and sometimes we make mistakes, but that doesn’t mean we always will ,” Iris smiled back. “I found them,” an angry farmer yelled. The mother of the little girl jumped in front of the farmer blocking the Philip and Iris, “ She saved my dying daughter while no human bothered to ask what is wrong,” the mother yelled at the farmer. “Go away, you are craz…” the farmer’s yelling was interrupted by an old man known for how wise he is, “ I remember that little girl running around everyday but for the past week she has not been visible, that women is not crazy we are, no one really has a cause to harm any witches, we just hate what we don’t know” people murmured after he finished speaking, “I agree,” a man said followed by another and then another agreeing.
“What brought you here,” the old man asked. “This is princess Iris, and we came here today for her to be the next ruler of this kingdom and to create peace between witches and humans,” people murmured again in disbelief after Philip finished talking. “ Well, we have been waiting for you, Princess Iris, please follow me to your castle to start the ceremony,” the wise man said, and the crowds followed them to the castle.
Later that day a great ceremony was held and Iris was crowned to be the next ruler of the kingdom. Philip, on the other hand, found his family and helped Iris lead the kingdom. Iris lead a happy kingdom with Philip by her side, and their dream of peace between humans and witches came true, letting them live their happy ever after.
                   The End