Dirt Black | Teen Ink

Dirt Black

By RuLeu, Clive, Iowa
RuLeu, Clive, Iowa

Author's note:

An old woman named Betty, who used to be an art teacher, told me to keep using my imagination and express my creativity. She told me to never stop doing what I love. I hope people will learn a lesson about how they will react. I also want to carry on Betty's words to everyone. Don't give up and don't stop doing what you like to do whether you're good at it or not. Express yourself and your creativity. Keep doing what you love.

Prologue
  You may think you know the story of Dirt Bla- Snow White, but you really don’t. Sorry, I didn’t introduce myself. I’m Evalouise. Call me Eva, or call me Louise. (I’d prefer Louise.)
  As you see, you might not recognize my name but there will be a little spark in your head that triggers your memory when I say, “The Evil Queen.” Please don’t get scared and stop reading. Just give my side of the story a chance. I beg of you. If I’m “SOOOOOO” evil why did I bother introducing myself? Why did I say sorry when I messed up Dir- SNOW’s name? Sorry. Wait there it is! I just apologized. See? It’s because I’m 100% innocent.
  You’ve heard of the, “Oh, my little 7 dwarfs, you look hungry. Let me get food for you. I’ll make you apple pie. I’ll read a story to you.    I’ll…” Do this! Do that! You know. But, I heard, “You little annoying dwarfs! Get back here! Get me my food! Get me apple pie! Read a story to me! Do my hair! Get me a new dress! Get me some jewelry!” You might think I’m lying, but at least I got my revenge, you know the story. Or at least you think you do. I thought when she was poisoned I would never hear the pain in the dwarfs again. But a prince brought Snow back and now she has a kingdom. AND SHE’S QUEEN, TOO! Sorry, I’m just frustrated. I made it worse. And now she’s, “The Evil Queen poisoned me! Feel bad for me!” Don’t even think about falling for that fake innocence! Snow is an awful person. I wish to call her Dirt Black. Not Snow White. Fine, I’ll get to the story. It all starts with a: Once upon a time. NO! With my story, it all starts with…

It was a beautiful day outside. White puffy clouds, blue sky, and birds chirping. But, then Snow came in with an axe. “Ew! These trees look horrible! This whole entire forest is horrible! Wait, I’m not going to give the whole entire forest and extreme makeover! I’ll just stick with this hideous place and build a house made of this hideous wood.”
  “It’s not hideous! This is where we live! Our home!”
  “Who just said that?”
  “Us! The 7 dwarfs!”
  “Ew, you guys have fat noses. Let me give you an extreme makeover. Wait, I’m not touching those disgusting heads. Where did you get those hats? The dump? Oh, wait. You don’t have one. This is the Unenchanted Forest.”
  “It’s enchanted, just wait for Evalouise to come!”
  “Who is she? The “Enchanted Goddess?” You guys kill me!”
  “She may not be a goddess but she is the forests’ guardian!”
  “Oh… I get it. You guys are so weak, that you can’t defend yourselves so you need a personal guardian! HAHA!”
  “You don’t ever say that about Evalouise again!”
  “What kind of a name is Evalouise? Are you sure she’s a girl?”
  “A woman!”
  “Right. Whatever.”
  “She is more powerful that you can imagine!”
  “What is she going to do? Put me in a tree and leave me there? EVIL! HAHAHA! Hey, you guys are really funny.”
  “I bet she can hear you!”
  “Right, because she can blend in with the trees? Or even the Sky? HAHA.”
  “EVA! We need you!”
Then, I immediately went to see the dwarfs. “A bird? Wow, she looks really strong. I bet she can TOTALLY defeat me. What does she do that’s so scary? Eat the grass?”
Then, I turned into my human form. “See? What did we tell you, Miss Snow?”
  “Sorry! Forgive me! I mean… I didn’t do anything, ma’am. I just came to live here and I was just talking to the dwarfs to see where I can build a house. They called you to get your permission.”
  “Only call me if you have an emergency, you dwarfs! I already told you my rules!”
  “That’s not why we called you, we called you because-“
  “I don’t want to hear it.”
Then, I winked. I was watching them the whole entire time. I just wanted to see all the other awful things Snow would do. The first thing she said when she entered this Enchanted Forest, I knew she was trouble.

Snow’s house was an ordinary birch wood house in the middle of the Enchanted Forest. It had pink flowers and windows. It was pretty cute, but then, I heard my sweet dwarfs screaming. “EVA! SNOW HAS AN AXE POINTED AT US!”
  “OFF WITH YOUR HEADS YOU LITTLE BRATS!”
  “AHHHHHH! EVA! I THINK SHE NEEDS A SNICKERS BAR!”
As soon as I heard the dwarfs I flew down. “Snow! What are you doing?”
  “I went to… cut down trees and then the dwarfs got in my way.”
  “Did you have an axe pointed at my friends?”
  “Duh! I was carrying it outside with the blade out in front of me.”
  “Then why did you say off with their heads?”
  “I meant the trees. Yeah! The top of the trees!”
  “And calling them brats?”
  “I was talking to… the… RATS! Yeah, I was talking to the rats. I said off with the trees heads then some rats got in my way.”
  “Then why did my dwarfs say you needed a snickers bar?”
  “I was mad at the rats! Duh.”
  “From this point and on I’ll be watching you. You better not hurt my dwarfs again. Or threaten them again. Eva is out!” Then I flew away.
  “Are you little brats trying to get me in trouble?”
  “No. Of course not!”
  “Be quiet Lumpy!”
  “It’s Grumpy! Not Lumpy!”
  “Whatever. You little annoying dwarfs! Get back here! Get me my food! Get me apple pie! Read a story to me! Do my hair! Get me a new dress! Get me some jewelry!”
  “But there isn’t jewelry in the Enchanted Forest, Snow! And the only thing we can make a dress out of is leaves, flowers, and grass.”
  “Then go make one!”
  “Yes, Miss Snow.”
I got really mad. People should never talk to my friends like that, so now, payback time. “Mirror, mirror on the wall, who’s the fairest of them all?”
  “You, your highness.”
  “Good. Tell me the poisoned apple recipe, would you?”
  “Of course, ma’am.”
  “While you’re at it, tell me where to get the most delicious looking apples you could ever imagine.”
   “The apple recipe is: 2 blackberries, 8 bowls of untouched poison ivy, 5 bowls of untouched poison oak, 4 rose petals, 1 pint of black widow poison, and finally a delicious looking apple from a tree about 267 miles down south from here.”
  “Great. I’m going to be gone for at least 3 weeks, even if I fly. Can you watch our hideout? Wait, when I made the potion last month there was no poison ivy or oak!”
  “Of course ma’am! I’ll watch this place.”
  “Oh, also… keep an eye on Snow White. She causes much trouble.”
  “Of course.”
  “Thank you.”
  “No problem.”
  “Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the most powerful of them all?”
  “You know the answer to that.”
  “And Eva is out.”
  This will be a very long journey. I am flying at the moment, and I’m getting very tired. I will strongly regret this.

Chapter 3
  It’s been 2 weeks. I’m going to go down to land for a while, because my wings are starting to hurt. I turned into my human form and I found in my purse, a hand mirror. It’s the same as my wall mirror but it’s small and it goes in my hand. “Mirror, mirror in my hand, who’s the fairest in the land?”
  “You, your majesty. Have you been flying this whole entire time?”
  “Of course mirror, how close am I to the tree?”
  “You are really close ma’am. 5 more miles to go.”
  “During my break I’m just going to find the items for my poison potion.”
I found the 2 blackberries and 4 rose petals but I didn’t find any poison ivy or oak. Besides, how do you not touch it? “Mirror? How do I get untouched poison ivy or oak?”
  “Oh, I was kidding about that part! HAHA got you there!”
  “This is a serious mission!”
  “HAHA YOU KILL ME! Lighten up! You really need a snickers bar.”
  “STOP!”
  “Sorry. I was just trying to have a little fun.”
  “Then give up! I’ve never had fun and I never will! Mirror, mirror shut off!”
   That was not funny. Why would he do that to me? I feel betrayed by him-
  “Ow!”
I look on my left shoulder and I see a black widow. The next thing you know, everything goes black, fuzzy, and dark.

Chapter 4
  I wake up and see an apple tree. My eyes are trying to focus but they just won’t adjust! Ooh, those are the most delicious apples I’ve ever seen in my entire life! My eyes are still adjusting and wait… “Mirror, mirror in my hand, where do the delicious apples stand?”
  “You are at the apples ma’am.”
  “No joke?”
  “No joke.”
  “Great. Bye!”
  I take a basket and fill it. These look amazing. I stop to eat some. They are really good. Wait, I still need the widow poison. I look in my bag and there it is. Sitting on the jar that I brought for the spider, so I grab a stick and push it in the jar, so I turn into a bird and start flying back. “Ow!”
  I crash land. I can’t fly. The widow poison did something to me. I don’t know what, but my wings really hurt. So I guess I have to turn into a human and start walking, but while I’m walking, my thoughts and questions in my head are going crazy. How did I get to the apple tree?  Was I really poisoned? Was I just tired? Was I hallucinating? What happened? Can I make it back? Will the dwarfs be okay? Will my mirror be gone? Will snow have taken over? Have the dwarfs gone to Snow White’s side? What will happen?
  I just can’t take it, I’m confused, and I don’t know what to do anymore. I have to push past the limits. So I get up, and start flying.

Finally! I’m here! It took me another 4 weeks, but now, for my revenge on Dirt Black! HAHAHA! I mean, Snow White. “Mirror, mirror on the wall, who did you miss, most of all?”
“You, ma’am. How was the trip?”
“Wonderful. Now I can retaliate against Snow!”
  I mix all of the ingredients in a pot and I start my magic. Then, I put the apples in the pot of ingredients. “Wonderful. This is where my revenge starts. So then, the dwarfs will no longer suffer from Snow White. They won’t suffer at all.”
So then, I disguise myself as an old woman and walk to Snow’s house. “BE QUIET YOU LITTLE ELVES!”
  “We’re not elves! We’re dwarfs!”
She’s being mean to the dwarfs again. She will now learn her lesson. “Yes?”
  “I’m just a poor old lady. Would you like to buy an apple?”
  “I will… if the apples are free instead. I mean… there’s no money out here.”
  “That will do! Thank you for doing business with me! Bless you child.”
  “Really for free? My trick worked! I mean… oh, these apples delectable. Thank you ma’am. I hope you raise a lot of money. Not.”
  “What was that last part? I have very poor hearing.”
  “Nothing. It was nothing.”
  “Goodbye then, miss.”
  Then, I go to my hideout and watch Snow through my magic mirror. “I do admit these do look like very good apples. I wonder where she got them. Oh well. Now, to take my first bite! Yum. Juicy. Good. I don’t feel well.”
  “Snow? Snow! Are you alright?”
  “She’s been poisoned! Lets go tell Evalouise!”
  “Right. EVALOUISE!”
  “Yes? What has gotten your beards little ones?”
  “Someone poisoned Snow!”
  “Oh really, is she awake?”
  “Of course not, she might die! Do you know who did it?”
  “Of course I do. I know everything.”
  “Who was it?”
  “Me, duh. She was hurting your feelings!”
  “So what if she hurt our feelings! You took this way to far!”
  “You’d be dead if it weren’t for me!”
  “Still! You don’t try to kill people! You’re not the Eva we know anymore. YOU’RE AN EVIL QUEEN! DON’T YOU GET IT? EVIL! 100% EVIL!”
  “Fine if you want it to be this way, help snow. But, if she tries to hurt you… don’t come crawling back to me. Got it?”
  “We don’t need you! We need Snow White!”
  “If that’s the way you want it.”
And then, I went back to the hideout. “Mirror, mirror on the wall, spy on the 2nd fairest, of them all, you know, Snow.”
  “She’s been found your majesty!”
  “By who?”
  “A prince!
  “So?”
  “A prince’s true love kiss can break the spell!     If he truly loves Snow White she’ll wake up! Then she can get married to the prince and become a queen! Then, she can also overrule you!”
  “That’s impossible! My magic is too powerful!”
  “It’s not impossible. Its just power that’s too great for you.”

“Are you sure?”
  “Sadly, but yes.”
  “I hate the power of love!”
  “How would you know, ma’am? You’ve never experienced it before.”
  “Be quiet. I can hear people walking towards us.”
  I really couldn’t. I just wanted a moment of peace. My magic mirror can just keep talking and talking, and it’s awfully annoying! Why did love have to exist? I wish I were strong enough to get rid of it, you know? AHHHH!   The dwarfs were right! I am evil! What do I do? I need to overcome this, quick. I used to be the guardian of the forest. Not the evil witch of the forest. I wish I had a reversing time spell. “Ma’am, Intruder-“
  “You can’t take my mirror! Give it back! Get off of me! NOOOOO!
  Then everything went black. I was so confused. They were wearing armor so they must be… royal guards! Do they work for Snow White? How is she already queen? This can’t be! I’m supposed to be fairest of them all, not Snow White! Suddenly, I woke up.
  “What’s going on?”
  “So, if it isn’t Evalouise, old guardian of the Enchanted Forest, am I correct?”
  “What do you mean old guardian?”
  “There are things that are more powerful than you. Have you not realized that?”
  “What?”
  “Long story short, you were replaced by me! The Fairest of them all.”
  “You get me out of here NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Epilogue
  So, there you have it, the story of Dirt Black I’m stuck in prison for life. Trying to tell people my side of the story so I can convince them to get me out. I don’t know what to do with my life. All I wanted was to help the dwarfs. But they turned against me.
  Now I’m nothing. Not the fairest, not a guardian, Nothing. Rumors got around from Snow White. She’s trying to tell you that I’m the bad one but what do you think now? Have I convinced you? Okay, I do admit, it would be hard to trust an “Evil Queen” but I’m telling you, I’m not evil. I’m nobody now. I wish I had my mirror. He’d tell you the truth. But they destroyed it. Killing him inside. I wish he could be here. Being alone in the light isn’t as good as being in the dark with someone with you. And that’s exactly how I feel. I’m alone in the light. I want my mirror. I want my friends back because I’m nothing without them. With them, I feel like I am important. I’m not nobody, I’m… I’m… somebody.

The End