Siren's Song | Teen Ink

Siren's Song

By Hannah Dove, Lake Bluff, Illinois
Hannah Dove, Lake Bluff, Illinois

Author's note:

I'm a huge history buff, and Greek 'villians' such as the sirens have always interested me. I wanted to research them further, and this story sprang up. 

Anthemoessa, a sea-drop meadow, femme fatales in flowers yellow.
Daughters of the Earth, Children of the Sea, companions to young Persephone.
Yet Hades stole Youth, with hands of Death, and so the Daughters of Earth had met,
a malicious fate that eons told.
Of Sirens with their
black
wings
cold.

***
Before the Graces Had Fallen
“Come along, subjects, follow my lead!” sang our maiden, the doe-eyed girl of flowers and a polished beauty of new beginnings. With a flick of her wrist the vegetation that creeps upon the ground curled up in delight and turned a pale jade once more. She laughed amongst the petunias, peonies, poppies, petals falling with every step.
“Persephone, Persephone,” the meadow whispered. “Persephone, Persephone.”
She was powerful, regal in stature, queenly, ready to ascend to her mother’s throne. Her impatient smile was radiant, her golden gaze, her sunlit glow that lifted the leaves from their back-bending bows.
“Mortals of Earth, watch as I take my place as ruler of the Harvest!” The girl twittered as she swayed between the mastic trees. We smiled without complaint, twirling the buds in our hair.
We were her companions, handmaidens, guardians. Daughters of the Earth. Us three, Parthenope, Ligeia, and I.
Fathered by a river god, mothered by the soil, nurtured by the Muses of Song and Tragedy. We sang to our lady of the Spring, as she rested on her hammock of vitality:
A green fruit gets ripe slowly,
On the tree that now lays barren
Yet the Youth is now in season
For prosperous lifelong Reason
Bring back our blossoms from Charon!
Oh, bring back our Youth from Charon…
I was the rhythm, the spine that held our voices high, the beat and sway of the trees and the wind and the waves upon the shore. Ligeia was the melody, a balance of dramatic tension and a weightless calm, consequent and antecedent. Finally, Parthenope was the harmony: the singer of relationships, of the mechanisms of working together, of the near mortality of Song.
We were not meant to be prophets. Our song was not meant to hasten fate.
On this island, surrounded by sea, we were safe from the prying eyes of mortals and of Mt. Olympus alike. Safe to protect the Maiden Goddess.
But not safe from everyone, oh no. Youth leads to Death, and misery certainly loves company.
We were there when she was taken. It’s often we get left out of the tale; It was so quick we barely heard the island sigh. For the God of the Underworld is no fool: he came and went, as quick as a flame, as petrifying as his namesake. As alone as a shadow.
When the chariot of death surfaced, when Hades, lonely and
desperate enough to swallow springtime whole, stole away with the girl of flowers, her mother was broken. Death reigned over the land, as the golden wheat of Demeter’s happiness was devoured by hopelessness. Hades’ realm had the earth in it’s clasp, yet he of course was too preoccupied to notice.
Our meadow wilted under the weight of the befallen: little shrines of weeds took hold of where Persephone used to sleep, stand, dream in endless exuberance. We all felt the weight of the world: Atlas could not hold our shame. It took Demeter’s flaxen tears to shake us from where we stood.
“Daughters of the Earth, heed my plea, find my daughter Persephone!”
Hearts in hand, we fled with the tragedy we knew all too well
We were given wings to search for her child, endlessly, tirelessly across the earth and sea, yet
the Underworld was the one place our winged flight could not breach. Our tears splashed into Poseidon’s plane as we craned our necks to seek our lost beauty. We sang into the day, into the black realm of Night.
Come back to us, our Goddess of New
Crawling mountains green and skies of blue
We beg of thee, quit our chase in vain
Lest we suffer Demeter’s wrath, never quell our pain
We sailed across the skies and seas, days and nights. A war broke out in mortal times, a human woman was said to rival the beauty of the Divine. All of the Goddesses of Beauty and Grace took part in this distraction of mankind. Yet we only searched for the budding girl of sun’s light. But we made the error of arriving without our maiden in pursuit, and so Demeter’s apparition seethed with a desolate aura. A raven black vapor that rivaled the gloom of the very place Persephone now resided.
“You were to be her protectors. Now nothing shall protect you,” were Demeter’s cold words before she vanished in smoke and incense blue. Then there was a burning, and boiling sensation that grew and grew.
Ebony feathers grew out of our spines, searing down our skin. Parthenope screamed, the most sensitive, always the softest
“I gave you wings to seek. Now you shall seek repentance. Wise, like Athena’s owls, yes. But
deadly. Vultures, harpies of seduction of both mind and body. We’ll see who Hades carries off next, ha! You shall do the carrying off now. For the song that once matched the Muses shall not be the harbinger of youth, but sends the message of death. This, I proclaim.”
Parthenope screamed again, for a great pain now seared our minds. Knowledge of past, present, future. She was on the ground, convulsing. Tears sprung up in Ligeia’s eyes, and fell, black, staining the once yellow poppies with a tinge of decay.
“You creatures are fated to live only until mortals who pass by this treacherous isle are able to pass safely. As ruler of Divine Law, I make it so!”
Demeter’s incendiary fury raged on as she babbled, inconsolable tears dripping from her fair eyes. “I will teach you to counter fate. For I am the Nightmare, Giver of Customs, Ruler of Divine Retribution.”
She vanished in a cold flare, leaving us to weep tears of death on our once blossoming oasis.

After the Curse
"Her glance is that of the fabled basilisk, her voice a siren's voice—with her voice she enchants, with her
beauty she deprives of reason—voice and sight alike deal destruction and death."- Cornelius a Lapide
I am feather, I am stone. I am beauty, and I atone. These words are etched into our skulls, reminders of what we are now. Horrible, wretched, vultures, scum of Earth.
Island of rock, I sit in a cove next to the pointed peaks of sandy brown. The island is covered in feathers, the only spot of color is the meadow where we once played with Persephone, flowers popping up after every footstep where she tread with a demure smile. Seeing one another’s sharpened teeth now gives a sense of unease. Parthenope has tried to chip hers off with a rock, yet they just grow back sharper and sharper until she screams again in disgust. A bird’s scream, a fiendish scream that rises up from primordial darkness. 
I hear Ligeia’s wings flapping, the occasional screech showing where she is. Or was, regardless. We are more harpy than nymph now, though we still try to take heed of our meadow, surrounded by the sharp spines that point towards the center. Towards the monsters.
We know what the mortals now think of us: they call our island the Siren’s Rocks, tell each other in hushed whispers to avoid, go around, go through if you wish to meet Hades firsthand. What was supposed to keep us hidden has now reared it’s horrid face back out to those who used to worship us.
We must still appear as maidens though, as men throw themselves off in order to swim to our island. Fools, yet saviors, if only to keep us alive for another day.
It happened as second nature; when the first ship passed by. We used to ignore the mortals in order to attend to our lady, yet now our lives depended on them.  Our throats burned like Hades’ flames as we began to sing, one by one, piece by piece. Parthenope started crooning, louder and louder as we three joined in song, melody laced with poisons old:
Come thee sailors, hear our plea,
Dance towards the night, dance towards the sea
Immortality is what you’ll reach
Dreams greater than Morpheus’s niche…

We hum this chorus, soaring through the words.  We see the ship stop through our foresight, winds dying from the sails, bodies falling into the sea, gasps as skin meets rock and frothing sea. How must they see in us, creatures of darkness, creatures of black night. The golden rays of the sun no longer fall upon us.
Faces soar into the sea to greet the thought of us.
It was the last time I would see Parthenope cry.
I wander the shores now, hunting down ships, anything to keep us alive, though I wonder why I do so. We are not freer than the souls down in the Underworld, though they may be mortal and then no longer flesh and blood and fear. The sand stings like glass under my feet, claws of scaly skin, monstrous things to clamp unto bitter fate. This is how it has become: I mutter amongst the shorelines, circling and crawling through the endless caverns in search for something, anything, nothing. Ligeia takes to the skies, encircling the island with swift pulses, beats. Parthenope takes to the sea: she rarely comes up for air anymore. She has experienced the carnage first hand: the ominous stopping of the ship, the sudden burst of frantic mind waiting to meet the girls of the Earth’s fair beauty. She sits under the waves, watching as the bubbles rise up as the men fall down. Yet she makes sure not to she herself in the bubbles: if she does, she’ll only see the golden maiden.
Eyes of hawks, yet it is not those that we see with. The third eye is what now sears my sight with the view of the doomed:
A ship, wooden, with oars 20 feet long and an ego 20 feet longer. I screech, higher than Ligeia, more resounding. A ship has become within reach.
Ligeia instantly drops from the heavens, and Parthenope breaks out from underneath the waves.  Shoving up wings behind ourselves and preparing our voices, I notice a difference with Parthenope wings: they were covered in soot, watery, speckled amongst her ruffles. I try to ignore it as best as I could: it’s probably the remnants of a bygone ship caught ablaze.We do not look at each other: we close our eyes to sing, to feel the burn of fire’s rage through our throats.
Mantic are we, prophets of the night, and so we entice those who try to escape us. We have seen sailors time and time again jump overboard in manic resistance to his companions’ despair, drown or break apart on the rocks. Some do make it to our isle, but seep away into exhaustion. And still we sing on.
Except there is something different, something missing from our calls. This vacancy is burning, burrowing, twisting, blinding. I search for the cause, and I see Parthenope. Not singing, not moving, just black drops of fate in her eyes. Our eyes meet for a split second as hers turn vacant and mine sharpen into tears. The ship moves further, one mile, two miles. Ligeia begins to shriek, horrible fear-filled cries that permeate farther than Siren song.  Parthenope feathers seem to slide off as she tumbles into the sea, swallowed up by the liquid that bubbles up below. The ‘Great Hero’ Odysseus will grin and chortle at how he passed the magnificent Sirens by, yet the only thing he truly heard was the soundless gasps of a daughter returning home.
They say her body washed up upon the shore, a golden maiden, and her beauty and youth were so entrancing that they named a city after her.  They never really knew why the sand was stained black around her; or why there were so many feathers at her feet.