Serenity | Teen Ink

Serenity

January 23, 2015
By Isaac666, Pasco, Washington
More by this author
Isaac666, Pasco, Washington
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Another boring day of slow repetitive education was under his belt as the final bell rings. Unaware of the life changing experience that awaits him the next day. For now he enjoys himself with opening a soda and playing an old action film to remember how it all used to be when he was an innocent child. Back in a life of love and safety, back with his beloved mother, back when I used to be with him.

Chapter 1

As the day starts I begin my morning rituals consisting of making breakfast and lunch, I take my supplies and say goodbye to the empty house as I depart. No one is in the house in the mornings since my dad has gone on those overnight trips for long periods of time, even though he still works days. I don’t blame him, ever since mom died he never wants to see me because I remind him of her. So yeah, I practically live alone in that house, but I get by. Paying the bills still leaves me enough to get food, and my DVD/game collection is growing.

I have been going to school in this city my whole life and I still can’t stand these people. Even with the annoyances I get by even if I don’t try to study. The students and teachers are all pride fueled morons, they believe they’re better than the person next to them. They would stab their best friend in the eye and burn his family just to get further in this city.

As I walk towards the massive school I reminisce of the time I first saw it. The city only allowed two high schools to be built, and they were only two blocks away from each other on the far side of the city. Many parents tried to persuade the city to put a third on the other side of the outskirts, since both schools were at one edge of the city, The council is a bunch of lazy and corrupt pigs that do things that only help themselves, so no they didn’t get a third school, they got a strip bar in the city.

With only eight uncorrupt police officers, this city can’t be classified as lawful, there’s a lot of crime extending from gangs, corrupt council, and foreign tyrants. Yeah, there is way too much crime packed into too little a space.

Upon entering the classroom the flood that is gossip came pouring out. I took my seat and awaited the bell. With the teacher speaking of politics in the world today, I decide to get some work done and ignore such idiotic one sided-opinions. I have facts and proof that can disprove every single one of his theories. But enough about my possible kicking of his tiresome ass, time for a nap.

My name is Axle Chaos, I’m seventeen years old and always on my own. Other than that I got nothing going on, but learning about the other students lives to amuse myself during my downtime. When one checks on everyone, he tends to learn a few things like stay away from the wannabe gang members, because they think it’s cool to harass everyone. Don’t attack the short or small kids, or you incur the wrath of their guardian, and most importantly do not interact with the Eve sisters!

Lunch break finally begins, and of course, I have nothing to do but chill and enjoy a home cooked meal. With my dad being gone most nights, I had to learn to fend for myself which is a good skill to have since I’m awesome at it. When I was about to take a bite of my sub I saw out the corner of my eye that someone was watching me. A mixture of fear and danger washed over me when I recognized who it was, Sara Eve, the third oldest of the Eve sisters at the age of sixteen and one of the smartest in the eleventh grade. She’s about 5’1” with ebony black hair that grows slightly past shoulder length and a bright white smile, I’ve only ever seen her sad once. Questions were swirling in my head, why is she staring at me? Does anyone else notice? Has she noticed I’ve seen her?

She stands up during my confusion and begins to walk towards me. As she walks by, the bystanders start to stare with admiration, until she was in front of me, then all of their stares were at me and had looks that said “you bastard how could you betray us” or something like that.
When I drop the “I don’t notice you” act I look up and wait about fifteen seconds before she even says “hi.” I guess she was waiting to see if I would talk first.
I respond with my signature “what’s up?” which makes her look a bit spooked by me actually talking.
I never speak in school, and if I need to, I make damn sure it’s good, but out in the world I’ll speak in an orderly manner to any stranger. With what I said, everyone is apparently waiting for the next bit of dialogue, I guess my spoken words are that rare. Waking from my inner thoughts I see she has noticed everyone else who is intently watching us.
To my surprise she comes out and says, “Can we talk privately for a minute? I really need to tell you something.”
I did the smartest thing I could think to do in this very situation and that’s say, “okay how about we talk on the…” and before I finish that sentence I run away as fast as I can.

Not the smoothest of getaways, but with no one on my tail I consider myself safe. I stop halfway through the school and walk into the lower levels where no one goes except me, the Guru, and his Lost. The Guru is an ex-therapist who offers free advice to any who need it, which he calls them the Lost. He’s the janitor, he’s a thinker, he’s an ex co-worker, but most importantly he’s my friend. Unfortunately he’s not here, so I’m by myself in this place with nobody to help me out. At least he keeps the soda stocked.

So this is probably a good time to explain the situation I’m in. I know how this school works. Everyone knows to not talk to the Eve sisters unless you have a death wish, and want to become public enemy number one. It’s not because they’re dangerous, it’s because of all the dudes who want to date them. So if someone were to try and flirt with them they would have to answer to the guys of both schools, and their fists.
Even the most powerful, scary, and overall hardcore are in fear of trying. Me going and having a private discussion would have my face on wanted posters in five minutes, and headhunters after me in seven. The thing that was troubling me the most was what she was going to say to me that was so important she couldn’t say it in front of other people?
Sara and I go back since elementary school, a few years before she became unapproachable. She used to follow me everywhere like a puppy, since I was her only friend in that entire school. Nobody would ever go near her for some reason, even though she was pretty cool except for the times she would stay on my arm, follow me around town, and be at my front door thirty minutes before I left for school. Now that I look back I forget why we stopped being frie…..wait I remember now.  Man now I wish I can forget it again. Right then the bell rang signaling the end of lunch.

I rushed to my next class making sure not to be spotted by Sara or her jealous fans. To my dismay I was reminded that she was in the same class as me, and let’s say that it was awkward as hell. Come to think of it she is in all my afternoon classes after lunch, sitting behind me a couple seats back. I couldn’t relax when I could feel a death stare pointed at the back of my head…..well death stares would be a better term, since I had her and half the class staring at me.

After the final class of the day, I have all my supplies packed and was hoping to get out quickly, but with so many people gunning for me I couldn’t dodge everyone. The bell rings and I go bolting through the door. While trying to run through all the people to freedom, I glance around to see if Sara was anywhere to be seen, but instead see her angry admirers. Luck had shown me some kindness when I find no sign of Sara anywhere, so I decide to put on some music and head home and relax from this more than extra stressful school day. Since I have to walk home daily it gives me time to think on today’s topics as well as figure out tomorrow’s strategy. The way to my house is usually crowded so I learn to dodge and run when it’s time for it, today’s walk isn’t as crazy as most days, so that means there is a fight going down.

In order to blow off steam, and keep people from rioting from the lack of justice in the town, the mayor made a law that if you have to fight you must fight in the square at the park and you won’t be arrested. But of course no one listened to that law, and the police don’t or can’t uphold it, but some use the square to hold waged fights and showdowns for the fun of it. I may know a lot about this town and its ways, but it doesn’t make life easier.
The only reason someone can live and thrive in this city of dark, stalking gangsters, and corrupt law twisting politicians, is to keep their head low and their fist high until their rich enough to move away. My dad has a different code for all this mess and he calls it “chance.” and that means this is all one big chance for money, even if it risks all he loves and loses it. There’s no gamble in his words anymore, since he already lost love.
For lack of profit from his attempt, my father now expects me to hand him five thousand dollars as an “I gave you your life” debt, or two hundred a month to get technical, because if I don’t pay him he will kick me out, or so he thinks. I have two good reasons, for one I have what’s left of that money which I think it’s about four thousand now give or take a couple hundred dollars, and for two I freaking…..well I guess today really isn’t my day.
When I looked behind me for safety reasons, I saw what every male student is envious and fearful of in this city. I saw Sara, and not just her, but I saw all five of the Eve sisters together and only two yards behind me. As I was staring back in horror, Sara met my gaze straight on and waved to me then turned to talk to her sisters.

I decide to take a right into a nearby alley, so I can test to see if they’re following me or if its coincidence they’re near. I wait until I’m halfway down the alley to turn off my music. They were near since the walls were close enough that their conversation was clearly hearable. “This isn’t the usual path he takes.”
“Did you even tell him yet? He looks really surprised to see us.”
“She hasn’t yet.”
“You were supposed to during lunch.”
“I tried to, but he ran for it.”
“Might as well tell him now.”
“That would be the nice thing to do.”
“We must look like total stalkers right now, hehe.”
“Well it’s already normal for one of us, right?”
“Shut up Kitty!”
“Save me Marie.”
With my headphones in I couldn’t tell who’s who, but this talk is turning my spine into a freaking glacier. I take out my headphones to hear more clearly, but that ended up being my first mistake.
“Hey Axle, we have something we need to tell you!” I know that angry tone was Dahlia’s, but I couldn’t turn around to see. I was so scared that I could feel the ice dripping from my breath.

Dahlia Eve is the oldest of the Eve sisters and considered the mother of the group. She’s 6’1” with a natural leadership aura that can make a platoon follow her command. She always wears her black hair in a very long braid even when she was a kid. When Sara and I used to hang out, she would walk with us everywhere. I still remember the day she yelled at me for what I did to those guys.
I turn around to respond, but Dahlia cuts me off before I get a word out, “before we tell you that, why have you been avoiding little Sara all day today!?”
I know where this is going so I start to back away slowly. But when I start backing away Marie Eve prepares to catch me. Marie is the second oldest and the most fit of the sisters.
She is 5’7” with a slimmer but sturdier stature and has dark brown wavy hair. Marie and Cat were their own little group in the sisters, and they seemed happy when I used to know them. If I were to try and outrun them, Marie would catch me in a minute then where would I be? I had to think of an escape plan and be quicker than quick since dudes are starting to group around the alley entrance.
To hell with it, I’m making a run for it. I begin to sprint the opposite direction of the sisters, down the alley jumping over every piece of trash I could and got an idea to slow her down. I push over a trash can and watch as the debris scatter around. I begin my sprint again only to look back to see Marie running like the bestial form of a human. But I was a little faster since she was tripping over the trash. With the wind rushing past my face and through my hair it was pleasant enough to make me forget the danger.
My thoughts of victory were short lived though as Dahlia yells out, “You can keep running, but we know where you live idiot!” and that was all it took for me to realize tonight I’m locking the doors, closing the curtains, and turning off the lights, or at least the door part.

After that exhausting event I finally arrive home. I give a hello to an empty home, to see if the sisters are in my house. Being nervous and suspicious has kept me alive so far. When I sense it’s all clear I head towards the fridge to grab me one from my soda stock. I may not have said it yet, but I’m addicted to soda. I should start making some food for the next day. A sandwich with fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and meatless country gravy packed into two hoagies. I put the finishing touches on the ingredients and throw it all in the slow cooker for the hour. When thinking of tomorrow I remember to lock my door. As I head toward my door I notice I smell like sweat. After I lock the door I walk up the stairs to the bathroom and prepare a shower. I guess I better scrub up quick if I want to catch my food and my shows.

I awaken startled by a loud beeping noise that came from downstairs, that’s the timer signaling that its five minutes until my food is ready, I must have dozed off for about fifty minutes while scrubbing myself off, was I really that exhausted from today’s events? I grab my towel to dry myself and tie it around my waist. As I head through the shower room door, I am greeted with a never seen sight. Across the laundry room Marie is half naked with only her underwear on, and Cat is wrapped in a towel. Marie took a second to comprehend the situation before she had shock and embarrassment written all over her face. I’m not proud of this but the next thing I do, I let out the most girlish scream I ever have. I open the door and run down the stairs into the hallway only to be stopped by Dahlia.
“Axle, your ass is mine for that stunt you pulled in the alley, what the hell were you doing?” she yelled, but halfway through that little scolding I ran the other direction.
I take a right into the living room and trip over Jenna and land in the back of the couch.
I stand up with Jenna and steady myself shaking off the impact, and checking to see if my towel was still on. Jenna Eve is the youngest of the sisters and the one I know the least about. She looks to be about 4’3” with long blonde hair and what seem to be eyes that have retained their innocence. I don’t know much about her since Jenna was a little over five when I last met her, which was way back in my childhood.
She seemed unfazed by my current appearance and spoke in a well-mannered tone saying, “Hello and sorry for the intrusion, we knocked on the door but you didn’t answer so we entered by ourselves, and may I comment that you have a very nice house.” She seemed to make both me and Dahlia calm down with her formal greeting/apology.
I simply replied “thank you” since I do take some pride in my decorating skills.
She continues with her greeting, “I don’t exactly remember you well, but a friend of our family is my friend as well, right Lia?”
Dahlia looked at me and said “of course.”
Jenna looked to the side and said, “what about you Sara” we both looked to the side and noticed Sara standing in the hall. She was so far the most stunned by my current appearance.

I was too preoccupied with Sara to notice the launched projectile heading towards my face, which luckily only clipped my cheek. I looked at the item and saw it was a bar of soap. When I looked to see who threw the soap, I had little time to register that Marie dove into me, spearing me into the back of the couch with enough force to break my ribs, which luckily she didn’t. Trying to collect my thoughts I lay breathless on the floor. When I returned with my conciseness Marie had already started a flurry of slaps on my face. Her hits barely registered because my face had gone numb from the previous attack.

Chaos had erupted in a very short period of time, Sara was trying desperately to pry Marie off me, Cat had entered the room asking Dahlia a bunch of questions, and in between the assault of face slaps I could register a beeping noise.
“What’s that beeping?” I heard Jenna asking aloud.
I grab Marie’s arms and look for the source of the noise, I could hear it coming from the kitchen. It took a few seconds for me to remember the food I was preparing. “My dinner,” I say while shoving Marie off, I jump to my feet and do a quick sprint into the kitchen. After quickly turning the slow cooker off, I hunch over the counter trying to catch my breath and tolerate the current rush of pain to my face.

I gather my rational thoughts and stand upright. Looking to my left I see the sisters watching me, waiting for my next move. Being a man of strong hospitality, even when my guests break into my house unannounced, I say “if you all may kindly relax in the living room I will be with you shortly and properly attired.” They start exchanging glances, internally agreeing with each other, then with only a quick okay from Dahlia they reluctantly head into the living room. I set my dinner into the fridge for later, my hunger left me. I start to head upstairs to get clothed, before entering my room I shout, “You can turn on the T.V. for the time being.”

After a short period I exit my room in my best casual wear and over shirt. I walk into the kitchen and ask if anyone was thirsty, within moments there were multiple voices answering my question. Since the answers were conflicted I decided to bring a tray of different sodas. I walk into the room and place the tray on the table. I find the only seat away from the sisters on the edge of the couch and relax for a bit. The sisters each took a drink, and with awkward silence drank it.

After a long while of watching television, I sat patiently waiting for someone to explain the situation. Thankfully Dahlia broke the moment with, “are you seriously not going to say anything?” with a hint of annoyance in her voice.
I grin from the comedic feel of the moment and sit up in my current position “alright then, let’s get started” I say as if beginning a conference. My comment seemed to have surprised the older sisters a bit, then again I am perceived as the mute kid so me speaking is rare. “What is going on here?” the main question of the day being said out loud, which only led to more confusion.
Dahlia spoke again, “well you would know what’s happening if you would have listened to Sara, instead you’ve been doing you best to avoid her” using much emphasis on the main words.
I’m not going to lie, but that kind of stung on the inside, to recover some self-respect I replied “well Dahlia I know it was mean, but it was to protect myself,” which seemed to confuse her since I didn’t give any more info.
To continue on with the conversation she asks me “protect yourself from who? Is someone bullying you?” Dahlia usually liked to lecture me like I was her son or something.
“No, you already know why people don’t interact with me,” I say to remind her that it is not the point. “I’m talking about those admirers of hers that were pissed at today’s scene.” Still lost from my other statement, she didn’t catch the last part of what I said, of course they wouldn’t know of their admirers. As smart as they all are, their perception is lacking. They seem to have never noticed the drones of guys ready to die for them like knights to their queens.

I decide to cut the current conversation and continue with the main idea, “how did you get into my house?” Which seems to work when the sisters broke out of their deep thoughts.
Jenna was the first to answer, “we used the spare your dad gave us.” and before I could ask how in the hell could my father do that, I was interrupted.
Dahlia said in an angered tone, “before you ask or say anything about this entire situation, Sara has to tell you, something very important. So sit still and listen, please.” she said that last part in a softer tone.
“Why me!” Sara exclaimed in response to Dahlia’s words.
“Why not you?” Dahlia quips back, I grab another soda anticipating where this argument might go. With what seemed to be the final strike Dahlia says, “maybe Kitty should tell him, she would be much nicer than you.” which apparently set Sara off for some reason.
Sara yelled in a high pitch “No she can’t,” sibling rivalry seems to be the best guess. A moment of awkward silence passes after Sara’s outburst, she seems to collect her thoughts and begins. “I guess you and you father never talk, or have even seen each other in the past two months due to his night shifts, right?” Sara says while trying her best to make eye contact. I agree with her question and she then continues after taking a subtle but deep breath, “well he hasn’t been working nights,” she pauses slightly as if reluctant to complete her point, “he’s been living at our house while he’s been dating our mother.”
My expression at that point was of total horror, not only has he lied to my face, but he’s been off with somewhere getting cozy with some woman. The Eve sisters mother at that. The moment had passed and I continued to listen. “But some financial problems came up and your father said we can stay here.” Sara didn’t seem to be done at that point, but looked away from me. “That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you all day.” She said that final part in a quieter tone as if hoping I wouldn’t have heard it. I almost didn’t catch the last part since the shattering of my dreams of solitude was much louder.
“Axle!” Dahlia shouts snapping me out of my inner thoughts, “are you okay, do you need to talk about this?” she asks in her usual soft and motherly voice. She stands up, walks to my side of the couch and sits next to me. She flung her arm around me, hugged tightly and said, “You know I still think of you as my son.” Her hugs remind me of all the times I would peacefully sit on the couch and hang out while watching T.V. with Dahlia, Sara, and mother.
I stand quickly and rush into the kitchen, able to duck into the trashcan fast enough to avoid splashing vomit into my surroundings. When the ordeal passes I look to the living room, the sisters stand in the doorway with looks of questions and concern. Dahlia who seemed the most concerned probably thought this little scene was because of what she had said, which it wasn’t.

After I catch my bearings I begin to clean myself up. I step away from the sink and look to see Dahlia sitting at the couch. I walk over and sit beside her, she had her hands over her eyes, but I could still tell she was very upset. I let out a sigh of stress and am still feeling a bit uneasy, “look Dahlia, it wasn’t what you said that got me, it was something way off course but it got me suddenly.” The same memory hit me again, but I was able to choke it down.
My talk worked a little since Dahlia actually looked up and asked, “What was it?” her eyes slightly teary.
“I’m not ready to talk about it yet.” I say hoping she would leave it at that. Thankfully she didn’t pursue it any further, but instead hugged me since I said something emotional, I’ll never understand her motherly instinct towards me.
“Thanks Axle,” she says letting go of me, she seemed calm and happy with a smile forming.

“Are you both done yet, love birds?” It was definitely Cat and her comedic tone, “Poor stalker needs to speak or else she’ll lose…” but she wasn’t able to finish her sentence because Marie had wrestled her to the floor.
“That’s enough teasing you little demon girl.” Marie playfully says while continuing to mess with Cat. Both Jenna and Sara had already tried to pull the squabbling duo apart.
A stray thought had appeared in my head forcing me to ask, “Is there anything else I need to know?”
Sara was the first to perk up.  She seemed to have remembered an important detail and spoke up, “Our parents are coming, and your father wants you to make dinner for everyone,” looking happy as if a large weight has been lifted from her mind.
With slight, but subtle irritation in my voice I say, “first he tells me nothing about his new relationship, and now he expects me to make a feast for an entire family? Yep that sounds like him.” I pause for a second gathering myself, “Is there anything else?” I ask the sisters. When nobody answered I turned and walked into the kitchen, after all I am entertaining.

About half an hour passes since I started making dinner for everyone. The sisters stayed in the living room while I was cooking. After setting the final touches to the food I lean on the counter, stressful moments like this aren’t common in my lifestyle so it all left me a bit winded. The sisters weren’t to blame for this sudden arrival mess, so I should be treat them well, as long as they stay out of my business. Other than that I think things aren’t going to be lonely as usual, it may even be eventful. Despite the fact that I’m going to be hunted down like an animal from all of the admirers, once I get back to school on Monday.

After a few minutes of thinking I hear the door open and the pair of footsteps along with it. “Hey Mom, hey Grey.” I hear Sara say which starts everybody’s greetings, I clean myself up a little during the commotion and begin to walk towards the living room.
“Where’s little Axle, I haven’t seen him in years” I hear Beth, the sister’s mother, say After hearing that I take a deep breath and walk into the unknown dilemma of the night.

“What’s up?” I say to everyone as I enter the room which is quickly interrupted by a high pitch squeal, “Oh my god!” and then everything goes dark. The surrounding sounds were muffled, but one thing got through “Mom what are you doing?” coming from an unknown bystander.
Beth always had a thing for playfully torturing me when I was younger, which made Marie and her sadistic self later adopt her mother’s play style. In this case it was her mother smothering me. After almost seeing the other side I’m suddenly set free into the living world, it was a bit brighter than my liking but I open my eyes anyway. I look up slightly and see Beth and her very admirable trait, she smiled as her hands held my shoulders in place as to get a better look at me. It’s been eight years since I last saw Beth and all her daughters together, it felt like I was at someone else’s family reunion.

The heartfelt moment quickly passes when I heard a stifled laugh in the background, “Your face is all red boy” my father says in a mocking tone. Some of the sisters were laughing as well, but they kept it under control, “c’mon kid are you just going to stand there dumbstruck?” he continues with his mocking.
“Sorry Axle, I got carried away” Beth says.
“Thanks, at least one of us is mature.” I say mostly aiming that last part towards dad. The mood quickly turned when my father caught what I was saying, thankfully his scowl isn’t noticed by the others.
“It’s been so long Axle, you’ve grown so much” Beth continues to reminisce the good old days.

Beth Eve was like a second mother to me since her and my mother used hang out together. She always looked radiant, like an angel, with her blonde curls, even through her divorce, which was the hardest thing her family ever experienced. Hell I should know, I was there the entire time trying to comfort the sisters.
“Is dinner ready yet boy?” my father spouts trying to play the emperor.
“Everyone help yourselves to the feast,” I motion to the Eves.

Everybody is sitting at the table after making their plates, they all seem to be enjoying the food. After half an hour of compliments on my cooking, everyone was happily talking to each other while I silently listened. “Hey Axle,” my father says in a calm and low tone, after I give him a look of acknowledgement he continued, “Where did you buy the steaks at?” 
Reluctant with my answer I still gave it to avoid conflict, “I got it down at the market.”
He placed his head on his fist and continued to question me, “it’s weird how you just had it lying around, and it must have been pretty spendy.”
I think I can see where this situation is heading, so I might as well meet it head on. “It was on sale and I was planning on using it tomorrow.”
He didn’t seem like he was planning on stopping, “expensive food, unlimited soda, new furniture, and a growing collection of movies and games,” he started to list these things off, “looks like you have some extra spending cash.” I knew it, he was going to find a reason to start an argument.
I hate it when I’m right since it usually ends in disaster. “So are you finally able to tell me what your job is?” Each word seemed to increase in volume, “or why you’re getting enough money to be considered a high class citizen?” I look around to check the quality of the furniture from his recent comment, but instead met the uncomfortable looks of the other family.
“Now is not the appropriate time for this discussion.” I say trying to stop the conversation, even though I knew he was going to continue.
“Then when is it appropriate since you always avoid it!” We were both standing at our spots looking as if ready to brawl, two beasts fighting for dominance.
“Honey, calm down,” Beth places her hand on his back, he looks at her with a worried look I have never seen, and slowly descends into his seat.
He starts to go deep into thought but quickly gets a large smirk, “What is today’s date?” he asks everyone,
“Tenth of October.” I quickly answer knowing exactly what he was getting at.
“Well,” he claps his hands together, “time for rent.”

“Since you’re doing so well you should have no problem paying double the standard,” my father says acting like he has all the power in the world.
Beth finally decides to join in this happy little chat, “What’s going on, is he paying rent?”
Before my father has the chance to give Beth some half-assed lie I intervene, “He’s charging me cash for allowing me to be born.” With that last sentence the evening was ruined once again by my father’s actions.

Everyone at the table started to glance between me and my father, all looking quite confused. Dahlia was the only sister to speak up, “Grey, is that true?” Which makes him seem lost in the situation, but I could see the gears turning fast in his head ever searching for an excuse.
After a flurry of questions he finally had something to say, “it was so he could learn some responsibility for himself.”
“Bullshit!” even I could tell that a full blown lie. To further cause disbelief I state my reason, “by what I could tell, your in debt and need your kid to bail you out!” It was a long shot but I had nothing else.
My father seemed to have reached boiling by then, “How about you give two months payment right now or leave!” He gave me a choice that had grown to dull. I take one last look around and stand up, “Alright, I’ll get the money,” I say before I exit the room.
“I’m sorry about that, he can be so difficult sometimes” I hear my father say once I leave.

I entered my room and reached under my desk and felt for the plastic bag. Once I grab hold of it I check to see if they were still bundled, once everything seemed in place I leave for the dining room. I walk down the stairs and enter the room with bag in hand. My father didn’t see the bag yet, but smirked widely when he had seen me, it only made this more enjoyable. I walked up to the table and tossed the bag in front of my father. After taking my seat I see my father’s expression change into one of surprise, “Isn’t this what you wanted so badly?” Seeing his expression brought me more happiness than the sadness of giving away more than four thousand dollars.
I sat and waited for my father to react as he begun to search through the bag like a beggar. “Beth!” he exclaimed out loud after checking the contents of the bag, “we can finally get the ceremony you deserve.”
Beth looks at him and says, “I thought we were going to tell them together.”

Her last statement had made the sisters walk over to the table.  “Okay” Beth said after taking a deep breath, “everyone, me and Gray are getting married,” She had said those words peacefully and happy with a smile on her face, yet it struck me pretty hard. I had gone deaf from the high pitched squeals that occurred right next to my head, the sisters seemed to be overjoyed by the announcement. Everyone had forgotten the recent argument so quickly I could barely believe it. With nobody noticing me I head towards the fridge for another drink. I take a moment to look back at the table, Dahlia was still congratulating the new couple, Marie was hugging Cat, Jenna was next to me, dad and Beth are holding hands like some young couple, and when I look around for Sara she seemed to have disappeared. After some time passes, Sara reappears and joins the celebration. Something seemed off though, it looked like her smile is forced. To any other she would appear normal, but that wasn’t the case. Subtle variations in her features say otherwise, she was hating this.

An hour passes since the announcement and everyone has seemed to settle down. The sisters went to the living room to relax while Beth, my father, and I had stayed at the table.   
“So the boy finally learned some responsibility,” my father says, he just never stops beating dead things. “But this just raises more questions,” he says while waving a stack of money in front of me, he wields it like he was the one who earned it. “Where do you work? How did you get that money? And do you even go to school anymore?”
I smirk and answer his questions in one go, “That’s still a secret, you have the money so why do you care, and the school would call you if I dropped out.” I gladly sip my drink with a sense of accomplishment. “Now I have a question for you,” my father looked annoyed by my cockiness, “what are you going to do now?”
He leans on his elbows and asks, “What did you just say?” in an angry, but low tone.
I see the mistake and quickly correct it, “You misunderstood me, I meant what are your plans after this?” I look into both their eyes to show concern.
They look at each other and seem to relax at my question, “We are planning on a marriage in court, nothing big and overblown.” Beth says. Beth was always thinking about others, even back in the day.
My father looks at Beth and places his hand on hers while saying, “I thought we were doing a big ceremony?”
Beth takes her other hand and waves it back and forth, “it’s too much work, besides, I would rather chill with the girls.” she quickly looks at me and corrects her last statement, “Oh, of course I would like to chill with you as well, Axle.”
I sip my drink and place it down, “How are you going to do this? How are you going to live?”
My dad decided to answer this time, “that’s easy, the girls will bunk in the guest rooms and…”
“Rooms? You got a new house?” I quickly interrupt his answer.
He looked at me with a puzzled face, “I think the girls can fit in two rooms.”
I look to my left and sigh, “Man, I would’ve enjoyed this if it was just you.” I look back at my father and say in a stern tone, “Nobody can stay here.”
“What? Why?” Beth questioned me, this is probably going to hurt her the most.
I look down but come back quickly, “Dad, you no longer own this house.” I let a few seconds pass to have it all set in, “I do.”
A few moments of silence pass until my dad turns into his usual, angry self, “What did you say boy? I think I heard something incredibly stupid.”
It seemed unbelievable, even to me, and I owned this house. In an instant I lost the energy to keep up the charade of being nice to my father, “The hour is late, and your presence pisses me off, so you can depart now.”
It seemed my father couldn’t stay his anger, and maintain his nice guy façade any longer. He rushes out of his chair with mustered ferocity, no doubt attempting to intimidate me once again,
“You little bastard! How dare you speak to me like that!” Taking the loudest tone he could, “get out of my house!”
It was not uncommon for us to butt heads like elk, but not to this extent.
“What’s going on?” I turn around to see Dahlia standing in the passage,
“They’re both trying to kick each other out,” Beth quickly answers her daughter’s question.
“If nobody believes me I can go get the deed right now,” I say to everyone around me,
It was mostly directed towards my father.
He grins widely, as if he had me in some sort of checkmate, “Go ahead, show me some proof of this, little boy.”
I stood there for a few seconds, and quickly turn to walked away. I pass by Dahlia without making any eye contact, she seemed to be trying to avoid looking at me as well. I head up the stairs and into my room, I look down at Dahlia before shutting the door.

After several minutes I emerge from my room with a folded paper in my hands. As I walk down the stairs Dahlia noticed me, but looks away. I also saw Cat and Marie staring over the couch into the dining room.
“I’m telling you it’s the last straw, and on the first night you girls arrive.” Father wasn’t making an effort to lower his voice, he didn’t much care if I heard him talking, “he is out of here, tonight.”
“Watch out for that, he never listens to anyone’s opinions.” I said as I rounded the corner, both Beth and my father had turned to see me. I toss the folded paper onto the table.
“Ooh, what is this? Your report card?” Every word he spoke was mocking me, he grabbed the paper and unfolded it.
I took my seat as he continued to read the paper, watching as his expression slowly changed throughout the process. When he was done reading the paper, he placed it down, he looked as if he was beaten half to death. Beth touched his arm and asked if he was alright, he in turn assured her that he was okay.
My father looked at me, then back to Beth, “It’s true, he owns this house.” He tapped the paper, “this is the proof of ownership,” everyone at that point started to look at me and dad with the same expression of disbelief. “Where did you get the money?”
He asked me as if he was expecting this to be a horrible joke, but this was the painful reality, the same kind he told me about. “My job pays very well.” I answer his question while still concealing my occupation.
My father finally looked up at me, “How does a gang member afford a house?”

I attempt to stifle my laughter, only to fail. A thunderous roar flowed out of my lungs. After a short moment, my laughing began to dwindle. I looked around while rubbing my eyes clear of the tears that developed, everyone looked at me as if I was some kind of psychopath.
A few tiny laughs would leak out as I spoke, “You truly believe that? Do you hear yourself? God you’re an idiot.” I started to restrain myself a little when speaking, “I assure you Dad, I’m not affiliated with any gangs.” I was waiting for him to respond, but he didn’t, he just sat in his chair waiting for the next line, “My decision is final, I want you out of my house, seeing as you were about to do the same to me not long ago.”
To my surprise he responds with, “okay then,” in a voice I have not heard since I was a child, “I still hope there’s a heart in that chest of yours, and I hope you can give your old man one last favor.” The way he spoke was haunting, almost as if he was truly the father I used to know, but I quickly remember who he really is.
“Depends,” I answer coldly.
“We need to leave for the honeymoon, so me and Beth will be gone,” he looks at Beth then back to me, “but we were just going to leave them here with you…”
“No!” I shout, “I know where this is going! You can’t dump strangers on your son who you’ve treated like s*** for the past couple of years.”
“But, we aren’t strangers, you know us.” I turn to see Sara saying that while standing next to Dahlia.
“It’s been 6 years,” I say while looking away, “I don’t know anyone here, except this prick.”
“Son…” my father began talking,
“No! I’m not your son anymore!” I interrupted his attempt, “why should I help you?”
“Because they have nowhere to go!” He yelled, but not in anger, “they won’t make it on the streets!” This was the voice of a man who tossed his pride away, for the people he cared for.
“Innocent blood stains the darkest.”
I jumped out of my chair, throwing it back a little, and looked in the direction of the voice. When I looked for the source of the voice, fear gripped my heart tightly. I expected to see the departed standing near the front door, with a smile across his pale face, but nobody was there.
Another voice came from the other side of the room, it wasn’t the same voice, this one was angelic, “A soul born with kindness will never change, and yours is full of love and protection.”
“Axle?” I turn to see Sara and the other sisters waiting in anticipation. Yet their faces shown something unexpected, it was hope.
I grab my chair and sit down, “God damn it,” I curse under my breath while placing my face in my hands. A few minutes of hard thought pass, after coming up with an answer, I look up at my father, “Okay, I’ll do it.”
“Thank you son,” my father sounded humble.
“Don’t get the wrong idea, I’m still kicking you out.”
He nods in confirmation, “and I’m still going to find some answers.”                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
Ignoring his statement, I walk towards the stairs. Halfway there I stop and look at the sisters, “Welcome to the house of Chaos, choose the room arrangements however you wish, help yourselves to anything in the kitchen, and there are clean towels for everyone.” I look at my father, then back at the girl’s, “I have only one rule, don’t meddle in my affairs,” I give a warm smile to them, “other than that, I hope you’ll enjoy your stay.”  I then continue towards the stairs.

I was in the hallway heading towards my room, when I felt a hand on my shoulder, “Well, aren’t you the little boss.”
I turn my head to see Dahlia, “I guess you’re not here to tell me goodnight?” I say in a playful tone.
She smiled and replied in the same playful tone, “that, and more.”
I turn and walk away, “well, goodnight then.”
She threw her arms around me and hugged tightly, forcing me to stop. “Your one rule, it’s something I can’t do,” she talked in her usual voice, “I’m your mother after all, and it’s what I do.” She let go of me after she was done talking, “Goodnight Axle.”
When I looked back she was already walking down the stairs, with nothing else holding me back, I go to my room.

I lock my bedroom door and flop onto my bed. As I’m staring at the ceiling a dull pain starts to form within my body as I begin to think about this evening’s event.
I roll over on my side and open my serenity stash, I grab a cylinder and open the top. I look inside the cylinder to see the same fluorescent liquid I’ve seen countless times before. After shrugging my shoulders I drink the familiar concoction.
I begin to feel relaxed, I rest my head on my pillow, it felt cold and heavenly. In tonight’s final thoughts I found myself plagued with worry, tomorrow was a day off, but I sensed much difficulty in my daily activities.

“Dahlia…” visions of my childhood began to form as I muttered their names.
She was yelling at me. “You monster! Stay away!”
“Marie…” as I say her name I begin to feel pain.
Her fist came into contact with my cheek, and forced me to the ground, I noticed Cat in the background while Marie stood over me.
“Sara…” her name was the most hurtful, because of how I treated her.
“Wait!” Sara yelled from behind the park’s chain link fence.
“Don’t ever come near me again!” Every word was a threat to her, my eyes were filled with anger telling her to leave. She backed away slowly, before running away.

I struggled to remember a time when Sara would smile, for some reason I begin to relax whenever I see her smiling at me. But those days are gone, forever.

Chapter 2

I arose from my bed with a groggy shake, my mind felt empty from slumber, I quickly dress myself and head down to the kitchen. Upon entering the kitchen I direct my attention to the fridge, I begin to rummage through the tiny mass of leftovers from last night’s feast, I grab the meal that looks most appealing and throw it in the microwave. I lean on the counter as I wait for my breakfast. The morning silence calmed me from the deadly experience that occurred within my dreams, but something disturbed the silence, the small stepping of feet.
“Smells good, can I have some?” Cat says as she enters the room,
“Are the others awake yet?” I ask.
“No, I usually wake up way before the others,” she responds, looking as if taking pride in that fact.
She didn’t seem like an early riser, I mistook her for the kind of person you would have to use a squirt bottle on, just to get her out of bed, then again, I didn’t even know her. We continued with our small talk until the other sisters joined us.
“What’re you cooking? Can I have some?” Marie asks as she enters the room with the other sisters, her and Cat really are similar in actions, speech and appetite.
“We have more than enough leftovers, so help yourselves,” I say to the girls.

After breakfast was over everyone went into the living room, they were watching some show about cops and criminals. I was in the kitchen, chilling with a soda in hand, trying to forget the questions and doubt lingering in my mind. After a few more drinks, I came to a rash decision.

“A day out?” Dahlia repeats my words as a question.
I had proposed that we go into town for today and relax, everyone could use the distraction from last night’s ordeal, including me.
“What’s the occasion?” Jenna asks,
“I just thought, since you’ll be living with some guy your barely know, that we could settle in with a day out” I say to everyone.
The sister’s went deep into thought about the activity, but their thoughts were short lived, “C’mon, we need to get some things for the house anyway,” Cat says, pulling her siblings into the idea.
Everyone started mumbling about things that they needed, hygienic products, clothing, etc. In the end they agreed with the plan, especially Dahlia, “alright, let’s go have some fun.”

Luckily the shopping district isn’t a long walk from my house, we got there in half an hour with no problems. I’ve heard the saying “there can be no darkness without light,” and this part of town proves it. This town’s people may be nice, but it’s truly the gangs that make this place undesirable, and even worse are the police who allow this, but I’ve already beaten this dead horse. It was time to enjoy the only loveable place in this city.
“Alright, where to?” I ask the group, which gained me a variety of replies.I tried to listen for anything that may seem like a good activity for us to do, the argument continued with everyone talking about their side.
“How about a movie?” a small voice came from inside the group.
“Wait! Did someone say movie?” I halt the talking and ask.
“I did,” Jenna said as she raised her hand slightly.
“Good idea, which movie should we watch?” I ask Jenna.
But it was Cat who answered, “Everybody wanted to see that new comedy.” She then pointed at sign with the movie posted on it.
“How do you know that?” I asked,
“I heard my sisters talking about it, and you have a collection of movies by the same director,” she stood in front of me while listing the reasons.
I was truly impressed with her deduction skills, “wow,” that was all I could say.
“Bad Kitty! I told you not to search through his stuff.” Sara became flustered when she heard Cat talking.
Marie pulled Cat to her when Sara was done yelling, “don’t be mad at her, she’s just being cute,” Marie said as she glared at Sara.
“I told you what I would do if you started sneaking around the house,” Sara said as she continued to give her sisters a furious glare.
Marie and Sara stared at each other, as if having a mental brawl. Sara reached into her pocket and pulled out a gun, and pointed it at Cat, She then pulled the trigger. Without a second thought, I leaped in front of the gun, I fell to the floor shortly after. I touched my upper body, checking for wounds, when I didn’t feel anything hurting or bleeding I turned to look at Cat, bracing myself for the worst. I saw Cat, not wounded, but wet? Another look at the weapon revealed that it was a squirt gun. I lay there in confusion as Sara laughed and continued to shoot Cat with water, Cat curled into Marie who was trying to stop the stream with her hand, which the water slipped through quite easily.
“Axle, what are you doing?” I looked to see Jenna staring down at me,
I threw my hand on my face when I realized the situation, “I thought she was going to kill her, I tried to…” I had no idea how to explain my actions.
“Aww!” I heard Dahlia exclaim, “Kitty! He tried to save your life.”
I stood up and began to dust off my pants.
“Axle?” said Cat looking quite damp from the little amount of water that hit her, “did you really try and save me?”
I looked down to hide my blushing face, “I thought it was a real gun.”
I looked up to see Cat smiling, “Well thank you, hero.” A weaker stream hit her again, “Damn it! Ceasefire, Sara, ceasefire!”
“I guess Cats really do hate water,” Sara laughed once more.
The little skirmish ended quickly, with one side soaking wet.
“Great, now we get to go clothes shopping for Kitty,” Marie’s smile became that of pure evil when she said that.
Cat’s eyes revealed her worry at the mention of clothes shopping, “Save me hero!”
“Come on Kitty, let’s get you something fancy looking,” Marie said as she dragged Cat away against her will.
“Well I’m going to go get some things for the house, anyone coming along?” Dahlia asks the group.
“I have some things to get myself,” Jenna said, looking quite preoccupied with something in the distance.
“Same here,” Said Sara, “I’ll see you later, how about at Milly’s?”
The group dispersed into different directions, each with their own agenda. I was left alone in the street, thinking about my next objective. I seemed to recall a game that releases today, that could be a start, I walk in the direction of the game store, but stopped mid-step. A young man wearing a familiar black hoodie appeared from an alley and stood in my path, he was peering out of his hood with a deadly glare. I stood there, puzzled beyond comprehension, staring at the guy, he seemed determined. He then lunged at me like a beast, intent on killing his prey. Before I was able to react to the attack, he was pulled back by his hood. A second hooded figure stood tall behind the first guy, his free hand was raised high above the guy, and then fell like a projectile onto the smaller boy’s head, which gave a loud smacking sound.
“Ya freaking idiot!” I could instantly tell who he was from his accent, “Ya don’t attack friends of the group,” he slapped his friends head again. Afterwards he looks directly at me, “sorry about that Axle, he’s new to the group,” he says as he bows slightly.
“No problem Rico,” I say back, “you were like that once before,” we both shared a laugh at my joke,
“C’mon, let’s get on to the next lesson, who not to freaking attack!” says Rico as he pulls his apprentice away, he turned around quickly, “by the way, I need to talk to you later,” he flashes a thumbs up before finally leaving the area.
Rico Mendel, your friendly everyday vigilante. He’s part of a gang called “The Sin Reapers,” their gang dedicated themselves to cleaning up the crime situation in this city. It may seem weird for a gang to stop crime, but a good percent of this cities gangs are non-illegal. His gang actually occupies the areas around my neighborhood, and protects all households from other gangs. I helped them out of a few big problems, so I’m considered a friend for life, but that’s all in the past, and I’m happy to know that I helped this city get a little safer.
After that little event I remembered my current task, I start to walk in the direction of the nearest video game store. The walk only took a few minutes, as I enter the store I begin to search the shelves for the new release. I had found the game, but to my surprise it was in Jenna’s hands. My first thought was about how Jenna didn’t seem like a gamer, I expected that she was one of those kind of people who would sit in a chair and read old literature on philosophy… or something like that. My curiosity overthrew reason, so I began to move towards her.
Once I was near Jenna I take a closer look at the game, “Are you planning on buying that?”
This startled her so badly that she jumped, her shoulder actually hit my jaw when she did. She quickly turned to me, while hiding the game behind her back.
She relaxes when she sees me, “Oh, it’s just you Axle,” she says while looking up at me.
The mood still felt awkward, so I decided to play it with a joke, “ouch, ‘just me,’ am I that plain?” it worked well enough since she smiled a little, “are you going to hide that game for much longer?” I ask while pointing to her back.
She started to look around the store, there was only three other people here. She revealed the game while continuing to look at it, she still seemed troubled.
“I’ve been waiting a while for this to come out,” she looked up at me, “I really like this series,” she gave a small smile, but it seemed forced.
“So you’re a gamer?” I ask, trying to keep the conversation going. After all, this trip was so I could connect with the sisters.
“Technically,” she paused for a moment before giving her answer, “I’m a closet gamer.”
I raised an eyebrow question, “a closet gamer? Seems a bit cloak and dagger doesn’t it?”
She still continued to check her surroundings, “I know, it’s weird.”
“No!” I quickly rectify myself, “I meant that it sounded kind of cool.”
“Well, you’re actually the second person to tell me that,” her smile was a little more genuine this time around, “Cat was the first to say it.”
“So your family knows?”
“Yes, but they don’t like it,” she looked down for a moment, “they think I will turn into another Cat.”
“Damn, that’s the meanest thing someone can say to anyone,” I said in a serious, but overall joking tone.
Thankfully she laughed at my poor attempt at a joke, “Thanks Axle, I needed that.” She seemed to have calmed down since she told her story.
It felt kind of nice to help a fellow gamer, and one so young at that. I can usually tell who’s good and who’s evil, and someone innocent enough to tell a stranger her problems is definitely kind in my book. Maybe I could actually help someone like her, the least I could do is make her feel comfortable in the house.
“If anyone gives you trouble, tell me, and I’ll take care of them,” I flash a reassuring smile at her, “I promise.”
She finally went back to her happy outlook, “thank you Axle.”
I grab the game from her hands and look at it, “I’m buying this one, so go ahead and grab another.”
Jenna nodded in affirmation, and began her search. After she picked out a different game, we bought them and left the store. She held the bag containing the games, looking very bright.
“I guess everyone was wrong about you.”
“What?” I didn’t seem to catch what she had said,
“Nothing,” she said in response to my question, “I’m going to go to the meeting spot,”
“Alright, I’m going to go find the others, do you know where they are?” I could easily ask Jenna to call them, but this trip is for connecting, so I need to stay on target.
“Mmm…” she looked deep in thought, “I think Marie and Cat are over there,” she pointed at a designer clothing store a couple yards away, “but I don’t know where Lia or Sara are.”
“Thanks Jenna, see you later,” I waved as I began to walk in the direction of the clothing store.
When I entered the store, I immediately spotted Marie and Cat. Marie handed a neatly folded dress to Cat, she then walked into the dressing room. I had already started to approach Marie, who seemed overjoyed at the moment, being careful when walking so I wouldn’t scare her like I did with Jenna.
“What’s up,” I said while keeping some distance us.
Although I had taken precautions, it was all in vain. She had jumped when she turned to see who had spoken, “Jesus kid! I swear you’re trying to kill me,” she had exclaimed almost immediately after being startled.
I tried not to show my offense at her reaction, “sorry, I didn’t mean to.”
“Whatever, what are you doing here?” She asked me, but never looked me in the eyes, A slight redness could be seen forming on her cheeks.
“The hero is secretly a cross-dresser.” Cat said as she exited the dressing room in a frilly crimson dress.
Marie turned to Cat, when she finally looked at me her eyes were wide, as if imagining me in drag.
“I’m not a queen, I’m a king.” I say in attempt to avert the joke.
“The king of queens?” Cat says to prolong the joke.
Marie began to laugh again, “Wow, Kitty has claws,” she said through her laughter while making a cat paw with her hand, “I guess that covers for you scaring me, but seriously, what are you doing here princess?”
I try my best to ignore her last statement, “I thought I might see how you two were doing,”
Marie gave me a look of distrust, “I think you’ve seen enough of us last night you Peeping Tom,”
“You mean before or after the breaking and entering?” I said quickly without thought, I already know I was going to regret that later. “I mean, who goes into a stranger’s bathroom?” I was now caught between justifying myself at the risk of hatred, or being labeled a pervert.
I was expecting Marie to assault me, like last night, but she didn’t do anything, she just stood there. It looked as if she was holding in emotion, my vote was on apocalyptic rage.
“Crap, I was hoping to hold that over you for a while,” Marie says after she exhales, that apparently ended with a very anti-climactic tone. Even Cat seemed a bit disappointed with that ending.
“Can you help me out here Cat? I’m a bit lost with this situation,” I ask Cat.
“She was hoping to blackmail you with the fact that you saw us changing, she told me herself,” she answered without any sort of hesitation, I think I could actually trust the younger sisters.
“Okay, you’ve seen us, now move along little boy,” Marie said as she waved her hand at me. It seems I may have pissed her off a bit, oh well, I’ll just add her to the list.
Before I forget, “by the way, do you know where Dahlia and Sara are?” I ask the sisters.
“She’s at the bookstore.” Marie said, giving a slight hint of bitterness in her voice. She then directed her attention to her sister, focusing mostly on taking pictures of her in her new clothing.
I decide to depart from the scene of sisterly love, mostly out of fear of becoming maimed by Marie. “Well, I’ll see you at the meeting spot,” I say before leaving.

I luckily knew about the bookstore they were talking of, it was only a short walk away from the clothing store. I began my search for another one of the sisters, hopefully this time won’t end in disaster. I start to feel a bit worn out, so I take a moment of reprieve on a nearby bench. While seated I looked up at the sky, it was a beautiful blue color, unchallenged by a single cloud, I truly do value these moments of solitude. But it wasn’t enough to stop me from noticing the black hooded figure to my side.
“What’s the problem Rico? I’m busy.” I say without looking at him,
“Yeah, I can see that.” It wasn’t a strong excuse since I was relaxing on a bench,
“It’s more important, Siggy’s asking for you.”
“Not today,” I say in a tone he would recognize to be bad, “I’ll call him later.”
He tried to argue, but a threatening glance in his direction was all it took to end the conversation. I didn’t pride in doing that, in fact, it kind of hurt. He nodded and turned to walk away, I already know he’s going to try and tail me for the rest of the day, or at least until he finds a chance to speak to me. After that little task, I stand up and begin the search for the remaining sisters, yet again.
As I walk towards my destination, I notice the there was no gang activity. The fact was intriguing, but worrisome, since the merchant gangs would try to pawn off their goods in this area, but not a single coin was being exchanged. The merchant gangs were not violent or even evil, in fact they help the lower economy with their own job opportunities, it’s an illegal, but peaceful way of life based on entrepreneur skills. It all goes with the saying “high risk, high reward,” even though there’s little risk, unless the other business’s made a big enough fuss to the police to handle the situation, but they’re too lazy to do anything. The gang community is both good and evil, a few gangs are peaceful, but most extort from those who are weaker, that’s why I help the Sin Reapers, so this city will have less hostility. Only time will tell if helping this gang will bring peace or war, and time likes to make me wait.
I cut the inner thoughts short when I reach the bookstore. Upon entering the store I was kindly greeted as I welcomed the familiar sight of literature lined on shelves, I had visited this place often in my childhood, during happier times. I had quickly surveyed the area, but found no sign of Dahlia. I decided to sit at a nearby booth and wait, she could still be around. After a minute had passed, I noticed a small book at the other end of the booth, I picked up the book with a sense of curiosity, the cover depicted a young woman and an ethereal being.
“So you’re into romance novels?” spoke a voice from behind.
After jolting from the surprise I turned to identify the voice, of course it was Dahlia. So this time it was one of the sisters who scared me, bravo Dahlia. She sat at the other side of the booth, without much care for my recent reaction.
“So, how long have you been there?” I say while trying to play it cool,
She took a second to ponder her answer, “from you sitting down to you jumping in your seat,” she gave a small laugh at the end of her statement, she was never going to let it go, I could tell that instantly.
“Where were you hiding?” I asked.
“I was in the bathroom,” she said without altering her tone.
“Oh!” I quickly turned my head in the opposite direction after exclaiming, of course I didn’t think of her hiding in a bathroom, I swear, I’m an idiot most days.
“What brings you here?” she asks me in a joking tone.
“Is it a bad thing to see how you were doing?” I answered her question with an equally joking question.
“Yes, you may get mistaken for a stalker,” she almost laughed at the end, but caught herself midway, she seemed to adopt a more serious look afterwards, as if she made a mistake.
The mood turned a little more serious than to my liking, in an attempt to change the subject, “Wow, it’s almost time to meet the others, we should probably get going,” I say while trying to feign surprise.
Dahlia nodded in agreement, we purchased the book she had and went towards the exit, but she stopped halfway. I looked back to see if there were any problems, but she was alright. She appeared to be deep in thought while staring at a particular part of the floor.

“Axle,” she says while continuing her avoided stare, “this is kind of hard to ask,” she began to straighten her hair. After a quick moment she looked up and directed her stare towards me, “Are you a gang member?” she asked with a slight waver in her voice.
I look away from her and immediately say, “No!” my answer may have sounded a bit harsher than I meant it to be.
While still looking away I felt an arm wrap around my neck, “let’s go,” Dahlia says as she pulls me towards the door, when I attempted to look at her she turned away so I couldn’t see.
“What did you mean back there?” I asked when we were a few yards away from the store,
Dahlia continued her silence, She wouldn’t let me see her face, or set myself free from her grasp on my neck.
“What’s going on Dahlia?” I had freed myself from her hold and stood in place, but she wouldn’t respond, “Dahlia, please say some…”
I immediately stopped talking when I felt a sharp pain on the side of my forehead. I put my fingers on the spot that hurt, when I pulled my hand back I saw blood on my fingers. I had searched the area on suspicion that an object had been thrown.
“Back away from the girl, asshole!” when I checked for the source of the voice, I saw two angry guys standing next to each other, their fists were  curled and ready for action. “Are you deaf? I said back off!”
One of the guys had begun to approach us, I placed my hand on Dahlia and steered her behind me, in case this situation turned violent. I started to lift my fist, but I stopped halfway when the other guy had grabbed his friend and pulled him back.
“Dude! Wait, please!” he pleaded with his friend to halt, it seemed strange since he was ready to fight just a second ago.
“Why? You’re the one who said we should kick his ass,” his friend retorted, he looked very confused by his friend’s actions.
“I know! But I didn’t know he was a murderer, look at him again,” the guy began to point at me furiously as if his life depended on it, which it probably did.
His friend took another look at me, his eyes went wide with the realization of who I am, this now could only end badly.
He then turned to his friend, “Holy s***,” he said with the same look he just gave me. His words were barely hearable, but I was able to pick them up.
When I looked around, I noticed a crowd began to form in the area, we were making quite the scene after all. I couldn’t make heads or tails of this situation, but luckily the choice was made for me.
“C’mon, I don’t want to die!” the more passive guy began pleading with his friend, “Hurry!”
He relinquished himself to his friend’s pleading, allowing himself to be pulled away. He started to flee, but turned to deal one last blow before leaving,
“Hey everyone look! It’s the boy who murdered five men in cold blood! Watch out or he’ll kill you all!” he yelled to everyone who had gathered.
By now I was ready to stomp his teeth in, I was about to charge, but couldn’t move, Dahlia had a tight grip on my arm, which forced me to remain in place.
“Dahlia…” I had begun to speak, but cut myself short when I had turned to look at her,
Her eyes were full of sadness, “Please, don’t,” she said in a horrified voice.
When I looked back, I saw the two guys were too far to chase. I loosened my arm from Dahlia’s hold and started to walk in the same direction as before, except this time I was walking through a crowd that stared at me with looks of fear and hatred.

I exited the crowd and continued to walk away. Not long after they dispersed, Dahlia had started to run after me.
“Wait!” she yelled as she closed in, she grabbed my shoulder to stop me. I had put my hand on her own to remove it, but she resisted, “It’s okay Axle, don’t worry about what he said.”
Her words made me go deep into thought, “but I did kill them, didn’t I?” I glanced back so only one of my eyes could be seen, “I distinctly remember how you reacted, you yelled at me, then kicked me out of your house, and told me to stay away from you sisters.” Her eyes widened with the returning memories, “then again, you think I’m a monster, why would you care?”
Dahlia stared at the ground, she looked speechless. When I had finally realized what I did, I covered my face and turned away. Her hand fell from my shoulder as I began to walk  away. She didn’t say anything, she stared at my back.
She couldn’t forget the past, nor could I, my hands are covered in the blood of too many enemies, as well as my closest loved ones. That is why I must keep this a secret from everyone, at any cost. If anyone ever does what those guys did again, I will kill them on the very spot.
“Darrel, I won’t let it happen again,” I whisper those words to remind me of every tragedy I have gone through, and my sworn promise to my dying friend.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.