After all, How often do we get a second chance? | Teen Ink

After all, How often do we get a second chance?

December 19, 2014
By karla terrones, san diego, California
More by this author
karla terrones, San Diego, California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

My name is Karla . I have a half brother, I was born on July 3rd. I’m 14 currently going to Point Loma High School. I was also raised by a single mother. I grew up in Clairmont. I play soft ball and I  want to go to UCLA. I am not thinking about leaving California.My family is very supportive and they help me get through the hard times and tell me to just keep my head up. I know my family will help me  accomplish my goals. One thing i fear is losing my family. I didn’t grow up with my brother so i consider myself the only child but I grew up with my cousins and I consider them as my brothers and sisters. Through all the good and the bad at the end of the day, family are your only supporters. This is my first published novel

It was May 1st, 1995. I was with my homie, Tre, and we were outside  smoking. As we stood on the porch steps just outside his house, I gazed down the street. The cool breeze brushed across my face.  The stars were hazy in the moist, damp air.  The smoke from my lips added to the haze surrounding me.  My thoughts focused on the thing that pushed me over the past few days,money. I needed money.
A set of lights began to light up the dark street.  My eyes focused on them, as it grew brighter and brighter. This man pulled up in his jeep. I asked him what he could do for $100. We were doing a trade in that moment my homie Tre had said, “Aye man there go the police.” As they got closer they starting shooting, so me and Tre started running towards my house. I had made it home, later that night I got a call from my boy Boosie.
“Aye blood, you got my money?” asked Boosie.
I replied, “Yea boosie I got you homie 'll be over tomorrow only thing is I only have 35.”
The next day I went to my girl’s house she was very upset so I told her, “Aye, lil’ mama. What got you feeling some type of way?”
She said, “you know what keenon, I   can’t live like this no more.” 
“Shantel, what you mean shawty?”
“I mean like Keenon I can’t see these patients like this. They're so sick and you never even have time for me no more.”
“But baby, you know I’ve been busy.” 
“Keenon Dequan, you know got damn well you ain’t busy you ain’t got no real job but hustlin with your boys.”
Alright shawty imma let you cool down I'm going to see was good with my mom.  Haven’t seen her in a fat minute.
keenon walks in the house.  His mom is talking on the phone
Angelique, keenon’s mom,  “alright girl let me hit you up later my boy just walked in.”
“Hi baby how have you been.”
Good momma how you doing?  I haven’t been around lately. sorry
“thats good quan and yea no problem baby. where is shantel and how is your work going?”
She had to do another 16 hour shift and its going good.
“wow baby! i’m so proud  to call you my son now you need to go and teach marcus a lesson. he’s been getting in  trouble the other day he took somebody’s purse I think he will listen to you.” “Everyone has been stopping by to see how I'm doing.”
“ Aight mama I’ll try to talk that boy man he something else.”
“Thanks baby! well I’ll catch you later keenon.”
“ Man marcus what you think you doin boy. You can't be doin this  when you get in trouble you think these niggas in the south gonna help you? nigga, if you would have went to jail, they would've left yo’ ass there.  I would of came to bail you out ! I dont want you to end up like me.
“Man, keenon! I got love for me on these streets.”
“ Man they don’t love you they got you out here snatching purses.”

It was June 16. I was driving down random streets, not thinking about much other than just to clear my head, with my little brother in the car.  Then I seen these guys from east side. Rage starts to build up within me. we don’t get along  because they tried to pull a scandal with family way back. They messed with my cousin, kiara, a couple years back and I haven’t gotten over it.  They had noticed me, but I  don't think they recognized me. As soon as they saw me, it seemed as if they wanted to start problems  but I got out the car and said   
“aye ya’ll need to chill bro man I have my little brother with me.”
Man ain’t nobody starting problems yet  wait now that I think about it  aren't you the n from southside. 
“Man marcus lets dip don’t get involved in problems like this.Stay with football.” Ima take you home with mama now boy you better not be actin up.

“Shantel i'm home.” I didn’t get no reply so  I went in her room to find her, she was with another guy this really hurt me because I have been with Shantel for awhile. Shantel noticed me,  I can see she was hurt from what she did. I left immediately. I was driving around wondering where I should go and at that time Shantel was blowing up my phone with messages saying “ BABY I’M SO SORRY please forgive me keenon I only did it because I was  hurt.”
She tried calling but I didn’t answer any calls until finally I answered one.
“Keenon, please!”
“Shantel, I don’t feel like speaking to you right now. I think we should take a break from each other right now.”  I went back to my mom’s house it was very peaceful they were listening to music and just kickin it  there was a few girls there I was thinking of letting Shantel feel how she made me felt but I decided that I still do love Shantel and I can’t do that to her if I want her back I have to show her i’m a bigger person than she was to me. I have to forgive her.

Today was a very gloomy day and I just didn’t want to do anything  I woke up realizing i was not exactly where i wanted to be.So i got up and went home with Shantel. I didn’t talk to her the same it’s gonna take awhile . I had got a call from my mom saying that my dad was in the hospital I told her i didn’t care because he was never there to raise me and my brother .So when he shows he cares about us  and  can be a father I will give him some respect and  a chance. Until then, I don’t care where he is at or what he is doing with his life.I called Marcus and told him that Eric was in the hospital because we don’t claim him as our father  and Marcus said “ man Keenon I really don’t care. For all I care I hope he dies. “

Marcus we are a little hard on him yea he left us but I mean just be careful because karma will come back to us.” Alright boy I'm going to stop by mamas later maybe we can have a barbeque or something.The next day I went to the store to get the stuff for the barbeque and I had seen the guys  from east side again and I had overheard them talking  about my brother I hurried home and told marcus to stay away from those guys because he can get hurt. He didn’t seem to understand  what I was talking about he looked more confused than scared.

“Well Keenon i’m going to go outside i’ll be back.”

“Man Marcus where do you think you are going it’s not a good idea to go outside right now.”

“ Like Keenon seriously stop treating me like i'm a little kid I got this ain’t nobody gonna do nothing.’’

“Ok don’t say I didn’t warn you.” A few hours later Marcus came back into my mom’s house. By the look on his face i knew something went wrong. So I asked him what had happened He said that the 5O Came up to him and said he had a warrant out for his arrest.

“But Marcus don’t even  worry little blood they cleared your arrest at court.” He calmed down a little bit. Well at least you’re ok I  thought someone hurt you. Well now lets start this barbeque.  There was this girl that came to my mom’s house and Marcus seemed to have his eyes glued on her.

I went over and told him, “Aye Marcus blood, you tryna get at her?”

He said, “what you thought Keenon, but yeah I’m tryna make that shawty mine.”

I was all alone at my house, Shantel wasn’t coming home till friday night she went up north to visit her parents. So I decided to check on my little brother because he was at the house all alone as well because my mom was at work.I heard my brother calling out from the distance he had said, “ aye  dejanae you thirsty.” I went in the house I didn’t see nobody but my brother I  said, man Marcus  who is dejanae you better not be having your homies over while momma isn’t home.Then I seen a shadow on the side of me I turned my body to realize  it was a girl as I  looked at her  closely  I had  recognized it was the girl at our house last saturday.
Then I had  gave a holla to Marcus and told him I will give them some time alone I would be in momma’s room if he needed me. A few hours later  I was ready to go home so I told Marcus .
“ Well i’m going to go home now tell momma I stopped by and don’t do nothing stupid.” I went home realizing it was friday so Shantel should be home and she was.I was very delighted to see her.
“Shantel how was your trip?”

“It was wonderful seeing my mom and dad it is just so cute seeing them together for all this time.”

“Well you are very lucky to have parents like that Shantel.”

A few hours passed it seemed to be dark outside and it was getting very cold. I was happy that Shantel was home so I can cuddle with her.The silence in the air disappeared when  I got a call from my mom. She was telling me how my grandpa and his wife were coming down in a few weeks to visit so she was wondering  if I can bring a dish to the dinner.They have always loved my homemade biscuits.When I told Marcus he was happy because he has always had a crush on this girl Marlene she Was raised by my grandpa because her parents were  not really stable enough they weren’t taking their parenting serious. But then he stopped and said

“wait but Keenon I invited over dejanae what do i do?”

“Well boy do what you got to do.”

While Marcus was thinking of a plan i was making a list on what I had to get to make the biscuits.We had so little time to do so many things.I had hung up with my brother and went back to lay with Shantel but before I  got to the bed I wanted some hot chocolate so I had made us some. I could feel the hotness like if I was in the blazing sun.I could feel things were going to go well these next few weeks when grandpa comes to visit. I  went up with Shantel and was just thankful for everything I had in this moment.

It was that time my grandpa had arrived I didn’t seem to find Marlene any where in sight.So I asked my grandpa where she happened to be he said she was out in the back. I seen her with my grandma. It doesn’t seem as if Marlene and Marcus had made any contact yet. So I went to Marcus’s room and told him she was out in the back.

“ Yea I know blood but I think i’m honestly choosing Dejanae .I mean like we haven’t seen them in a minute so I really don’t have feelings for Marlene no more.”

“Ok boy do what you gotta do it’s your decision.”

(knocking on the door)

“Aye Marcus you’re girl here little blood.”

“I’m coming bro.”

Marcus and dejanae went in his room it seemed like they really had feelings for eachother.They're young and not very smart so I had slipped  a rubber in Marcus’s pocket I don’t know if he realized so I had told him if he was thinking about doing anything check his pocket.Marcus just started laughing.

“Boy i’m serious,But aye Marcus the food will be done in a bit.” 10 minutes passed by.

“The food is ready momma yelled out!”

Me and Marcus cleaned ourselves up before we went to the table.As Marucus, Dejanae, and I were heading to the table the look on Marlene’s face was not very pleasing.

“Oh hey Marlene I didn’t introduce you this is my girl Dejanae.”

“Oh I see thats why you haven’t came and talk to me. Mmm  watch out with her boy. Keep your little hoodrat on a leash.”

“Woah I don’t even know you like that don’t be going around callin me a hoodrat, you’re just mad because Marcus ain’t want you.”

“Aye yall need to chill this is not the time to be arguing.”

“You know what Marcus I’m not hungry no more I’ll be in your room if you need me.”

It had been a week my grandpa was leaving tonight. Even though his visit wasn't the best because of the arguing that went on I was still very glad to see him.Its sad to see him leave wondering when the next time I will see him again if there even is a next time because man he is getting old.For the next few weeks I had to be at my mom’s house to watch over it while she was gone away on her trip with her coworkers.Its nice to see my mom happy something she has been doing for years for me and Marcus. I was getting tired so I started closing my eyes but then I heard a noise that seemed to be coming inside the house and it sounded like it was coming from Marcus’s room next thing you know someone is in his room. I got kind of too paranoid to look but I got up noticing it was Marcus.

“ Man blood what you doing I was ready to pull the pocket knife out.”

“Bro sorry i forgot my key and i didn’t know you were here.”

“Well at least next time try the door n ,But I was thinking maybe we can have a small kick back with home close homies.”

“Yea fosho Keenon are we finna have some drinks or something.”

“Yea bro what you thought clown.”

I had called up tre and a few homies but more people showed up that I didn’t  tell. It got a little bit out of control and I remembered that my mom was coming home in a few hours. So I had to find a way to get them out of my house as I looked empty beer cans everywhere and the house smelled of weed. I started cleaning the house I opened the windows to air out the smell. But next thing you know my mom had arrived. I had a couple more cans to pick up but I didn’t think I can make it before she walked  into the house. So unfortunately we got caught.

It was august 12 my birthday was in a couple of days and my mom was still upset about what me and Marcus had did when she was gone. I had apologized but i felt really bad I knew I should've never did that. It wasn’t a very wise choice. It seemed as if momma didn’t trust me any more.She was upset with Marcus as well because she actually now that he had a girl he was doing better.
But I wanted to clear things up before my birthday because what is a birthday without your mother who raised you . A few weeks had passed it seemed as if she wasn’t thinking about what  had happened anymore.She seemed to had let it go but she was still kind of unsettled about the situation.My birthday was in 19 hours hopefully she was over it enough to still celebrate with me. Shantel seemed happier  than ever that my birthday was almost here.I have always loved birthday kisses from Shantel and waking up next to her on my birthday.
“Baby let me take you out to an early birthday dinner.”

“Awh Shantel but nah I can’t have you spend your hard working money on me shawty.”

“Oh Keenon don’t even worry about it your birthday is tomorrow you have always gotten  me the best presents for my birthday.”

So  I let her take me out to dinner it felt nice knowing I have a girl that cares. I called Marcus to see how he was doing he said good Dejanae had just moved in mommas house.He told me how he had settled down and he was looking for jobs so that he can get them their own house.

It was bright and early in the morning the morning sky was still coming out. I was waking up slowly then I had got a call from my brother saying I have big news to tell you blood.I messaged him and told him I will be over mommas in 5 minutes.I went inside her house had been rearranged.
“Aye Marcus bro what’s the big news lil homie.”

“Keenon I found out that Dejanae is pregnant and I got a call from the construction site.”

“Man marcus I thought I told you to use a condom.”

 

“I know you did but it was my choice I felt like I was ready to be a father I feel like i’m responsible enough.”

“No boy its not as easy as you seem  it takes a lot of responsibility the baby needs 24 hour care  and its not no game so you can’t just give up when you want to this is real life . They are expensive you have to buy diapers every month etc.”

‘Man Keenon I know  momma didn’t raise no fool.”

“Well if you say you're ready then that’s on you boy congrats though on your new job as well.”

“Thanks for accepting it.”

There was a knock on the door it was for Marcus it was a guy from the company he was going to work for I guess they come to you and do your interview. The man had came actually really quick because it had only been a couple hours  ago  that they had spoken on the phone. It seemed like Marcus was going to get this job. They were talking for a few hours he gave Marcus a test to take to see what he knows and what experiences he has.A few more hours passed and the man was done with Marcus he said he would give a call if he got the job for sure.

“I think you got the cut little blood, well i'm going to go home good luck and let me know if you got it tomorrow.”

“Hey baby what was the big news that your brother had to tell you.”

“well shawty he said that his girl is pregnant and tomorrow he is going to find out if he got the construction job.”

“Wow congrats to little man he is growing up so fast like we have been together for a while and i still ain’t pregnant .”

“Yeah Shantel i’m just waiting for the right time.”

It was April 24th Marcus's  girl was 8 months pregnant one more month until my beautiful niece is born. I was happy it was a girl because there really isn’t a lot of girls in the familly.My mom seemed delighted  as well. It was my moms first grandbaby so she was excited.I was very proud that Marcus was taking care of himself and that he got the job and all. Most of all i’m happy i'm doing good as well.  
I was thankful that my family was in good hands right now. I had been going to church with Shantel ,my mom , Dejanae, and Marcus.I couldn’t ask for a better life.I forgot about all the negative things that had happened I was just thinking of the good. Because I  was too blessed to let the bad bring me down.
Mine and Shantel’s 5 year anniversary was coming up in a few weeks after everything we had been through I decided it was time we get married.I was going to surprise her and propose to her on our anniversary. I called Marcus up and told him I’m going to pick him so he can help me look for rings he has always been good with that kind of stuff.I remember when he went with Eric to get my mom’s wedding ring. It was a  really nice 13 carrot all gold with white diamonds around it .I picked up Marcus when we got to the jewelry store he was ready to look. It took hours before Marcus  had found  the right ring. 
“ Keenon I   found this ring I figured Shantel will like this one. I wanted to find one that is  perfect for shantel like you are to me.  I know this will be special to Shantel how you're special to me.”

“Omg Marcus it's beautiful she will love it.”

My mom called me and said Dejanae was in the hospital. I called Shantel up at work and told her. The boss let her off because it was a family emergency. I jumped in the shower and when i got out I just threw anything on my worry wasn’t about my outfit being on point it was getting to the hospital as soon as possible. Me and Shantel left as soon as she pulled up in the driveway.We got to the hospital to find out that it was a false alarm my niece wasn’t being born yet it was just bad contraptions. The doctors let Dejanae go home today. She rode with me and Shantel because our car is bigger than my mom’s and I  figured she needed space

“Aye keenon can you get me some watermelon please i’ll pay you back when we get your mom’s house.”

“Don’t even worry about it nae nae I’ll get it for you, you don’t have to pay me back.”

“Thanks so much.”

“You know nae nae i’m so happy that you're part of my family my brother is very lucky to have found someone like you. you guys are gonna make some good parents. You mean alot to my brother.”

“Omg keenon that’s so sweet of you, yea I’m lucky to have Marcus in my life. Everyday I’m with him i seen sunshine.I’m happy you guys accepted me in your family.”

“Yea its just good to see you guys happy you know I mean before you came into the picture Marcus was  not very humble.”

“Well here you are Deja home sweet home.”

“Thanks Keenon and Shantel talk to you guys later.”

Shantel and I went home and got cozy and laid down peacefully next to eachother. All you can hear is the night breeze swooshing and the cars zooming on the freeway.

It was may 7th today is the day that baby Ashanti was supposed to be born.It is also momma’s birthday She was very blessed because her first grand child was going to born on her birthday. A few hours dejanae and Marcus had arrived from the hospital with the new family member . She was preparing the house for the baby to make sure it was just right.She was too busy to go to the store so she had marcus go to the store and get some bread.Marcus and I  had got into a little argument because I don’t get why my mom still treats him like a kid when he is about to have a child.Uncertainly I called him a mama's boy and he got agitated.After that marcus stormed off to the store with the homie Tre.

“Aye thanks tre for coming with me to the store but I don’t get why Keenon so much about how my mom treats me.”

“Yea boy no problem but aye blood look.”

“Oh bro its the guys from eastside man tre lets dip into the alley.”

“Man what they doin over here they're in the wrong hood they need to leave before something happens.”

“Tre let’s just split we in an alley they they ain't going to do nothing.”

“Marcus blood that is not a good idea.”

“Man we're fine we are grown men.”

(Tre)

Marcus walks a few steps and next thing you know they came around the corner marcus hadn’t noticed but right when i yelled out Marcus run they started shooting sadly the bullet was to fast and didn’t miss Marcus this was a very tragic thing seeing. I ran to Marcus and started screaming his name and picked him up and took back to his moms house I got into the house sobbing Angelique came out and said what is all that noise and noticed Marcus lying on the couch with blood all over his shirt.

She started weeping as well Dejanae and the baby and Keenon had then came out of their rooms as they all had then noticed he was dead it was a house full of tears.


I was so destroyed to know that my little brother is no longer with me I  feel horrible for arguing with him about how he gets babied still. I regret every time we fought and not being the big brother I should have been.It sucks that my niece is not going to grow up with a father in her life.It really breaks me that he barely got to know his baby I wish this didn’t happen to him why didn’t it happen to me? But I have part of him thanks to Dejanae.He will always be in my heart i will truly miss him. A few months had passed it was now july 7th mine and Shantel’s anniversary was in a week as soon as i looked at the ring it made me tear up knowing that Marcus had picked that out for her now she will now how much I care and how special it is to me and i’m giving it to her because she is special to me. I now think I'm ready to have our child.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.