Pills | Teen Ink

Pills

By Thania Amador, San Diego, California
Thania Amador, San Diego, California

We have only been in London for a week and I was already wanting to leave. Everything so far has been calm and easy. I have been feeling relaxed till now, school starts in just a couple days and I am not ready at all. “Can we please go back.” I pleaded.
“We have only been here for a week and all you have done is move a couple of boxes and stayed in the house.” My mother replied. She’s the kind of mother that wants everything to be perfect and wants everyone to be happy, relaxed and normal. Reason we moved all the way to London in the first place. We had to get away from all the memories of my father and the people who have hurt me.
“I actually really like it here. It’s like living a new life.” My sister commented. She’s only 12 and is hyped up about everything.    
Alisa is the type of girl who gets straight A’s and wants to please everyone she comes in contact with. It kind of really annoys me.The happiness and living with it. She tells me to be happy every day but obviously that doesn’t work. I try my hardest to be like her, to not look at the bad side of life and focus on the good side but that can be very difficult for me.
“See, look at it the way your sister sees it, it’s like starting a new life.”  My mother loves the way my sister thinks. She loves every idea she has and I may get jealous of that at times but I don’t blame  her. My sister is talkative just like the way my mother likes it.
I stared out the window the rest of the car ride. My music was blasting loud in my ears. Maybe too loud because I know that my mother can hear it even though I have my earbuds in. I feel uncomfortable the way we are driving. The left side. I feel like we are going to run into another car and all die or something but we won’t. I will just have to get used to this I guess. The weather is pretty cold. Just how I like it. It feels good and I can actually wear a jacket without people telling me to take it off because it’s too hot.
I lay my head on the car window ready to fall asleep until my mom pulls in the driveway. My sister opens the car door quickly and gets out. I stare at our new home for a bit. It looks old and a bit creepy. But I think it is beautiful. The bricks looks so worn out because of the rain and there are vines growing on one side of the house but I like that. It’s not fancy or anything like our old home. It’s small and simple and we don’t live too close to the city. It’s perfect.
I step out of the car and make my way towards the front door. My music is still blasting in my ears which unables me to hear my mother calling my name. Alisa runs towards me and pulls out my ear buds. I get a little annoyed but then I hear my mom. She wants me to help move some boxes inside. While we are alone and carrying some boxes she tries to talk to me. “How are you feeling lately?” She asks.
I have actually been feeling worse lately, apart from being calm Im usually ready to die. At any time really. I obviously can’t say that to my mom so I lie, as usual. “I’ve been fine.”
“Okay good,” she responded, “so, how does pizza sound for tonight?”
“Great”
We step inside the house and I trip while carrying one off my boxes filled with clothes. Alisa laughs obviously and I just get up and pretend it never happened.
I walk up the stairs to my room. I’m in love with my room. The walls are just plain white and only has a couple posters and one giant banner with my favorite band on it. I don’t have a bed frame yet which I find comforting.
My bookshelf that I immediately put in when we moved in is now almost filled with books. My mom always finds books anywhere and brings them to me. 
My clothes are everywhere. I have been way to lazy to put everything where they are suppose to be. They are mostly all black so you can’t notice if it’s dirty or not.
Alisa’s room is just down the hall past the bathroom. She has her own bathroom in her room. I tried to get that room but my mom still doesn’t trust me after what happened last year. I look down at my wrists and see the scars. I don’t even trust myself alone anymore.
Last year I got horribly bullied in school and there was pictures of me doing things I had never even done all over the internet. Rumors were spread all through school and it just made my depression worse. I started cutting and then my mom and dad found out. They took me to the hospital and then I was sent to the mental hospital. While I was there my father passed away.
Nothing has been the same since. My sister is the only sane one in our home because she wasn’t so close to my dad as me and my mom were.
We moved to London to get away from everything that has happened back in California. I kinda actually like London. It’s actually cold here. I can wear jackets almost all the time. But this place is so new. I don’t feel right. Anything can happen and I’m constantly nervous. I want to leave. But I don’t.
I step into the shower. I watch all my blue hair dye go down the drain. I’m thinking of re-dying it but I’m not sure. I probably won’t.I don’t want any attention at my new school.  I try to wash out all the blue in my hair but there is still some in there. Hopefully it will all be gone before school starts.
Once I get out of the shower. I stare at myself in the mirror. My abnormally skinny body. My weird giant eyes. The scars on my arm and body. My pale skin. My boyish short hair. My big nose. I want to try and ignore it but I just can’t. I hate my body. I hate myself.
When I talk to people they already think I’m a wimpy guy. I don’t talk much so they can’t hear how small my voice is.
I’m a small girl that looks like a small male.
I get dress in a baggy sweater that looks like it should belong to a tall teenage boy but that’s just the clothes I like it. And I put on somes pajama pants and lay down with my headphones that are blasting music in my ears. I stare at the ceiling, trying just to listen to the lyrics of the music. I eventually fall asleep.

I wake up to loud banging on the door. I made a rule to everyone that since I can’t have a lock on my door any more that they can not just walk in at any time they want. They always have to knock. But for Alisa, knocking, means banging on the door trying to wake up a whole city.
I moan loudly so she can hear me through the door. “What!” the yell. The banging stops.
“Mom made french toast and she was wondering if you want some so she can make more.” she shouted loudly through the door. I love french toast but I’m so nervous about school starting so soon that the thought makes me want to gag.
“No, I’m fine. I’ll probably just have a banana for breakfast.” I probably won’t eat anything today, like always, but I will lie and say that I ate when they weren’t looking. My mom and Alisa have been worried about me losing so much weight. I just tell them that I have just been eating healthy and been working out in my room. Obviously a lie. Oh well.
It’s only 8 in the morning so I put on my headphones and try to go to sleep again. I think I should get as much sleep as possible before school starts because then I will start to get one hour of sleep a night. I hope this new is better than the last.

When I wake up again it’s around 12:30 in the afternoon. I get up and go to the kitchen. My stomach is growling like always but today I actually want to eat something. Just something small. Don’t want to gain any weight and be called a cow. We don’t have much in the house. Just a few things. We have half a loaf of bread because of the french toast I guess. We got some milk, some eggs, apples, cookies and some bananas. I go for the banana.
When I walk out into the living room Alisa is watching T.V. There is nothing interesting going on so I go upstair and isolate myself in my room. I grab my book and start reading.
Books. They are my second favorite thing besides music. It’s like living in someone else’s world. It may be better or may not. They are my only friends because they can’t hurt you or betray you in any way. You know when your time with them will end because you know the pages. Books are beautiful and sometimes you can connect with them. Weird, but not.
I read until my mom calls me over. I walk down stairs to see what she wants. She’s standing at the bottom of the stairs as if she was waiting for me.
“Do you want to go to the mall with me to pick out some new clothes?” she asks. She already has her bag on her shoulders as if she was already leaving but then she remembered that I need new clothes for school.
“What is wrong with the clothes I have now?” I asked. Everything. Everything is wrong with my clothes.
“You only have one pair of jeans and old t-shirts with mysterious stains on them. Your boobs are growing so we need to get more bras. So can you please come to the mall with me?”
I sighed and told her that I will go. I don’t want to go outside again. But I do need new clothes and my old ones are starting to lose its black. New clothes won’t hurt but going outside will.
We get into the car but once I tried putting the music on my mother told me to stop. I was confused. I asked her what was wrong.
“We need to talk.” She replied. Oh no. No. I don’t like having talks with her. She just tells me how terrible I am and how childish I ask.
“We have nothing to talk about mom. I am fine and everything is fine.” It wasn’t but I don’t want to have a talk with my mom. I turn the music on and we let the music fill the quietness in the car.
Once at the mall we walk around till we come across a store with clothes that are in fashion. I try walking past it but my mom tell sme to come in with her.
The store smells like experience perfume and there are lights everywhere. The floor is white and glossy and the walls are also the same but with a black line in the middle. I try walking away but she just pulls me back in. She tells me to pick something I like out. Everything here is nothing like my style and I don’t like anything.
After an hour and a half of being in one store and me just mindlessly walking around. She finally says we can leave.
I walk into a random store with dim lights and loud rock music playing. I buy a sweater and a couple t-shirts that are all black and grey and then I buy a couple of pants. When I told my mom that i was done she said “why don’t you get something with color. It will look cute.”
I shake my head and ask if she can go a pay it for me. I’m scared of paying for things on my own and I’m not sure why. I know it seems kind of childish but I just can’t do it.
Finally we go home. I go to my room and stay there the rest of the night. My book was still where I left it but I didn’t want to read. I kinda just wanted to listen to music and fall asleep forever. School will start soon and I will have to deal with the stress of work and people. I just want to do nothing for the last week of my summer and not think of the things that are going to come. Making new friends is harder for me. Not like I had no friends last year. Well I didn’t actually. Everyone there kind of thought I was a little crazy and I would always be to nervous to talk to anyone. But this year I am trying to build up the fear of talking and try to ignore my anxiety.
Everyone has already started school besides me because I have been enrolled later than the rest. I’m so scared. I will have to walk into a classroom full of kids knowing what they are doing and I will be there confused and alone. I’m going to look like a idiot. I wish I didn’t have to go outside. I just want to be home and sleep forever and not deal with outside world.
What happens if I walk into the wrong class and everyone stares at me as I awkwardly walk out and then everyone just laughs and people will be whispering about it all day. It wouldn’t be that hard to spot me with my blue hair. I won’t it to go away. Or maybe dye it a different, natural color. Maybe brown? Black? Oh I don’t know. The one that is least noticeable.
I don’t want to go to school. I don’t want to go to school. I really don’t want to be that new weird kid. I don’t want to go. I repeat that to myself until I fall asleep around 2 in the morning.