An Unhappily Ever After Beggining | Teen Ink

An Unhappily Ever After Beggining

By Gsword GOLD, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Gsword GOLD, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

"In order to be smart you can't be too smart."

Author's note:

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

We pulled up in our carriage, in a summer day, to this lovely house that was covered in viens and made of brick. The sky was blue behind it making me feel like I'm in a painting. It stood 4 stories tall making me feel small.  And the day was hot, making me sweat like a river. I honestly feel like I'm going to make a first bad impression. I'm extremely nervous, with so many thoughts rushing through my mind. I hope he likes me.We step out onto a paved road with the smell of daisy's tickling my nose. We'll at least my nose.

Mother really doesn't care of the smell, all she cares of how large the house is and how many servants we will have. Then there's my sister. She isn't that bad, just a little wacky. And I emphasize the wacky. Right now, she is turning in circles, humming. How could we even be related. She could be coincided at times than the nicest person will click in her head. My family, we'll I don't know what to say. They were lovelier when father was around, but now I sit on top of the gray cloud that lays over this family.

I think to myself, "It might be nicer having a stepfather. Maybe this family would have some sunlight now. And maybe, just ma-," I'm interrupted, with a screaming at the door, not from the outside, but the inside. My mother just looks at the door, and says,"Are you sure this is the right house?" We all knew the answer, so no one answered her question.

"But father I want a chicken, a horse, and a dog..." We hear from the inside. We all look at each other. Who on this Earth could be more coincided then my mother? Then the door opened. A girl, not much taller than the lawn statue of a woman, appears, face redder then the rose's red. Then as she looks at us, she says, all innocently, "Oh. You must be our new house mates. I'm Cind-" Than an older man appeared behind her. He was not older than mother nor younger. I assumed, he was the one.

"Oh, hello. You must be our new guest," she said all innocently. It kind of makes me gag to think of the voice. "Hmph. We are not just guest," my mother tries so hard to mimic the guest part of the sentence, as if she was her. " I'm actually now your step-,"she was interrupted by the man behind the blonde hair child. "Sue Ellen, so glad you made it. With this weather, I'd thought the horses would just stop in the middle of the road and say,'I'm done.'" If only they did talk of course.

He kissed her cheek. And I had a weird feeling inside. Maybe, this stepfather thing is getting to me.

"Oh please come in," he said invitingly, "This is my daughter, Cinderella." (So this is the stuck up girl.)

Mother pushed us forward, to introduced ourselves. I put out my hand, and said," Charmed. I'm Abigail." I looked at my sister, expecting a word to come out, but alas she is still dazed and confused. "This is Bethany. We're the Hamingtons." Cinderella, looked at me funny. She looked at her dress, than mine, her hand, and then mine. She giggled. I swear she murmured, "Why did you let this circus in our house daddy?"

I did not like this girl one bit. And to be frank, my dress was amazing. Sure it wasn't the finest of silk, but I'm not traveling to a China for the finest they got.

Mother left us, that is when it got awkward. Cinderella circled around me. I just looked straight ahead and broke silence, "You have surely a beautiful house."

She stopped in front of me. And said, "I know I do. And I would have you know, this house is was made in 1693, almost 200 years ago. So It would be nice if you didn't touch anything."
I looked at her strange, she was just so rude, and I thought my mother was.

"Just to make sure, you ladies don't screw up anything, here are the rules. Your bedrooms are down those blue halls to the left, near the white curtains. You are only allowed in your rooms, the dining room, and the breakfast room. And whatever you do, do not go in the music room. Your clothes are due downstairs in the basement, to be thrown out. In your closets, you will have a new wardrobe. New city requires change, especially in your need. You are only allowed to use your bathroom, and the main downstairs bathroom. Any questions?"

I was about to open my mouth when she said, "Good then. I will be by you room in 1 hour and 30 minutes to see if their are any, nic nacs that aren't fit." She looked at us and said,"Go then."

I slowly walked to my room. I know I shouldn't say this mean word but,"Why the hell, am I taking orders from a 13 year old!" I'm older, so why. As all these mean thoughts were in my head, I stopped at this door, that was near the white curtains. This is it. I breathed heavily. I put my handle on the knob, then I heard my mother running down the hallway. I swear if she fell down, I would have laughed. " Yes," I asked. She handed me a girls china doll. It was beautiful. Pale skin, rosy cheeks, red lips, in a rose colored Sunday dress. "For you, I mean your room," she explained. "It is beautiful," then for the first time in a long time we hugged. It felt good. I felt safe. Then she said,"Now don't you break that." She walked away into the long hallway.

Again, I was at the door. I put my hand on the knob, and twisted it, and pushed. I looked around, and I was speechless. Aqua blue walls, with ivory bordering. A small twin bed was in the middle, with baby blue satin sheets. A little bedside table sat next to it, with its very own lamp. I can't believe I get my very own lamp. A white chair, was placed in the corner with a leg stool. I felt comfratable here. Here is where I can live. I can spend my afternoons here, playing the harp that was placed in the opposite corner. It was truly a wondrous site to see.

A house, maid came into the room, making sure it was suitable. I replied with perfect. She brought up some black tea, while I unpacked. After I put all my clothes on the bed, I sat down with a book, I brought from home called,"The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" and some tea on the whites chair. It was comfy. And I was letting the sun beams come through my tall window, I spilt the tea over the chair. "Damn," I said quietly. I got up quickly, and searched in my bag, for a small blanket, sure enough my yellow crouchet blanket was stuffed in their. I quickly grabbed it, when I heard Cinderella coming up the stairs. "S***," I said, I have never cussed so much in a day. I quickly placed the blanket on the chair, hoping she won't notice it.

Then, I heard a knock at the door. I knew it was her.

I get carried away often, but this time I have really screwed up.

I was so nervous to let her in, I mean, who knows what she could say was bad. But, unfortunately, this was her house, and these are her rules. No matter how sad it may be, I scuffled around then said,"Come in."

"Ah what a lovely room. This one is one of my favorites, apart from mine of course. I hope everything is to your liking?" I nodded. "Well, you know what I was coming up here for, right?" Once again, I nodded. "If you please." I gave her the hand motion to walk around.

She looked at everything, with strange faces. I did not know if she was happy or disgusted. "I have to say, you have a good sense of style. Lovely blanket," she said for the first time nicely. She walked near the chair, where I spilt the tea. My heart was beating so fast, I didn't know if I'd hyperventilate. Luckily, she walked pass the chair in satisfaction. Then she stopped at the bed. My heart dropped.

She picked up my book, and asked, "What on Earth is this?"

"A book, of course."

"Don't get all snooty with me. I mean, what is it doing here?"

I was getting pissed, so I said star caustically, "I'm reading it. To educate my brain. You know the thing up here." As I pointed to my skull. I noticed her face was turning red. And I loved it. She was walking out with my book. I asked her abruptly, "What are you doing with my book?"

She turned around slowly and said,"Oh this stupid thing?" And right after she said that, she did the worst thing on Earth. She ripped it, threw it on the ground, and spit on it. Than she walked out laughing.

I yelled as loud as I could and with a temper said,"This was my gift from my father," fore it was the only thing I had left of him. He had a thing for books. I guess I have his book gene. I went on my knees to the trashed book, and was about to run out in the hallway and rip those golden locks out of her head. But instead, I just cried. I know it was childish of me, but I didn't know what else to do.

I heard a crash next to me in the other room, my sisters of course, 5 minutes later. I ran out in the hallway, and Cinderella was walking out into the hallway redder than a tomato. I heard crying from my sister. Than, I knew Cinderella did something so evil. I know this was bad of me, but I slapped her. I was happy that I left a mark on her perfect skin. And she just looked at me and went, agh. I stuck my tongue out. I really felt like a child then.

I ran into Bethany's room, and all these teapots were broken, all but two, on the wooden floor. My sister was crying in the corner of her magenta purple room. Their in the corner she was crouching and said,"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to." I felt so bad for her. I asked her what happened, and she explained how Cinderella came into the room for inspection, and didn't like my teapot collection. She didn't like that they were there for decoration, not for use. I just held my sister their in my arms. I know she is my annoying twin, but she is my family, and I would help her in this time.

I walked over to the shattered china teapots and picked up the ones that we're not harmed. I started to clean the broken glass, but cut myself. Unfortunately, I started bleeding. The maid ran in here and was starting to say, "Cinderella told me to clean up the-" and she looked down at the mess than at us. In her young sweet voice, she said,"My dears, what happened? Wait let me guess, a blonde headed girl through a tantrum."

"How did you know?" I asked her.

"You honestly believe, this is her first tantrum." I shook my head. " We all have our opinions of this, um, lovely child." She looked down at me. "Let me help you with that." Before I knew it she was mending my hand. This was the first time I noticed how young she was. Her face was smooth, with her brown hair in a tight bun. She had the most beautiful of freckles, that complimented her blue eyes.

She started cleaning up the broken teapots when Beatrice  asked her,"Do you like her?"
I tapped her on the leg, and gave her the 'Don't say that' look.

"Who, Cinderella." I nodded. "To be honest, she is most of a time a brat. Like last week, my hair was wet, since I had no time to dry my hair, after a bath. So she, chopped a lot of my hair and said,'Here this will make it dry faster' But then again, she does have her moments."

"I'm Abigal. But you can call me Abby. This is Bethany, call her Beth for short. Yours?"

"Sally"

I started giggling under my breathe, not because of her name, but because all maids were named that nowadays.

Than we all laughed, for no reason. We all went into the hallway after we talked for a while, and went our separate ways, but me and Beatrice didn't go far. We just went to our bedrooms and watched how the sun set from afternoon into evening.

That afternoon, I made an enemy and a friend.

It was around 5:51 on my clock when Sally knocked on my door and said,"Dinner is Served, your grace." "Don't say 'your Grace'," I said under my breathe. I started to walk down the hall when I started to smell the most delicious thing I ever smelt started to make my nostrils flare and my stomach growl, now matter how cheesy that sounds.

"Why don't you look pretty, I mean handsome Mr.Lithel." I said that, because I wanted to be nice. After all, he invited us to live with him in this huge house.

"Why you have raised a fine lady, Sue." We both said Thank You after he gave us both a compliment. Cinderella just snarled at me. I started eating this delicious chicken when, when I noticed Beth has not gotten to the table yet. I asked mother where she was, but all she said was,"I don't know," then started to talk to my stepfather. I asked if I could go find her, but their was no response, not even a blink from my mother. She didn't care, so I got out of my seat quickly, and knocked on her door.

"Beth." I called out. "Bethany Hamington,one out right now." Still no response. I opened the door and went into the empty room. That is when I noticed a loud banging from what I assumed to be the closet. I opened it not knowing what to expect. It was Beth. She was in tears and said,"Cinderella. She did it." "Did what?" I asked her. "She locked me in here for no reason." I was now furious at this little brat with golden highlights. I just held my sister in my arms and said,"Karma." She nodded.

We both walked out into the hallway to go to the first dinner with our parents. By the time we were there, they were all finish. Every plate dry as a stick. "You guys our fast," I said in surprise. "Really?" my mother said star caustically. "The real statment here is grounded, 2 days, both of you." I was in shock. "Why?" I asked. Then little Miss Perfect said,"Oh did they not tell you. Goodness me I thought you heard. Abby said,'Im going to find Beth.' Then off she went." "This is know of your concern Cinderella. That is still no excuse however. Bed, now." Those were the last words I heard for the night.

Great, now I don't get dinner or 2 amazing days.

I just walked to my bedroom and went to get change for bed. I looked in my drawers and saw the new bedtime wardrobe. It picked out a light blue silky nightgown. It was comfratable. I slowly made my way to the bathroom just to hear the floorboard squeak, then brushed my long wavy hair. In the mirror, I saw a girl like me but not me. She had the light blue eyes like me. She had the pale soft skin like me. She even had the mid spine length hair that was brown inside, the dirty blonde outside. But the girl in the mirror was just an image reflected off. She did not have the personality like me at all. I just stared at this girl for a long time, not worrying about anything except the personality that girl didn't have.

As I was getting all comfy in my bed, their was a knock at my door. "Come in," I said loudly but softly at the same time. It was my mother. She came in and sat down next to me on the bed and apologized of how she acted at the table. She stated she was all excited about this new love experience and how she forgot the time with us. She asked,"Would you forgive me?" I just looked at her, but in a funny way. "I'll lift you and your sisters grounding." "Of course," I said no questions ask. Then she just grabbed me and then gave me a warm hug. "I love you," she said. I loved her so much, and wanted to say the same thing, but instead I just nodded, hoping she knows I love her.

She started asking me questions about my new stepfather, and Cinderella, and about the house. I responded honestly like, "Yes I like the house and my new stepfather." Than said how Cinderella acts all innocently around her father and her but not me and Beth.

"She's a brat." Than I covered my mouth, not meaning to say that aloud. My mother just laughed and said,"Good. I'm not the only one getting that vibe about her." We both laughed this time. Than I told her all about the awful things she did. In response, my mother stated that she knew we weren't the ones who wrecked all our items. In shock,  I said,"She actually said we did it." My mother, sympathetically, nodded. I was upset, than realized, this is Cinderella we are talking about. Of course she would do this.

I hated Cinderella, but with a passion.

I was so sleepy, I didn't noticed my mother left, until I was asleep in my safe room, in this safe house, with nothing to worry about...

At 2:01 a.m. I heard a loud thud, then screaming. I was scared, and turned on the gas light. I put on my gray robe, and left the bedroom quietly. I started to tiptoe, than realized everyone is awake probably by now, so I started running. I followed the crying and whimpering noises, into my parents bedroom. In their, a bright light was lighted, and I saw my mother crouching next to a body at the end of the bed whimpering. She was covering the face until she moved.

The body was my stepfather's.

"What do I do, What do I do." My mother screamed.

"I don't know. I'll get Cinderella," I said this frantically and horridfied.

"No. We can't. We shouldn't. She doesn't need to see this. Go into the town, and find the nearest doctor."

"Ok. What do I tell him?" We were talking quickly.

"Um, three stabbed wounds. Bleeding horribly." She started crying. "After you find the doctor, and tell him where we live, find the police. Tell them their, was a murder here. I will cover up the wounds." She had a red face, and bloody hands. Each moment we spoke, he was getting paler and paler.

I was walking out of the room when, she came running in. Cinderella. I was blocking her way, so she wouldn't have to see this horrific scene.

"Move out of the way. Move out of the way." She yelled. She hit me in the head, and my vision went weird, her nails must of got in the way because a line of blood was coming down my cheek. I was feeling dizzy, but I still was blocking her saying,"No you can't." Then she punched me in the chest, which knocked me down. The wind got knocked out of me. But I wasnt worrying about that. For the first time I worried about Cinderella. She saw everything. She just stood there, then came running down to her fathers pale  body. I couldn't bare to watch, so. I got up. I had to any way. Their wasn't a moment to lose, he was losing to much blood. I was out of the room,  when I turned my head to the room. I pity this girl. She doesn't have a mother, now this. I felt her sorrow.

Luckily, the town was a minuets away, and the doctors and police station was right there next to each other.I went to the doctors, and he was being impatient, because I was breathing heavily, and talking to softly. When he finally realized what I said he, went out of the door faster than I ever seen someone running. Then, I went to the police. They were young and cute. I blushed when I spoke to them. They asked me, If I knew what the man looked like who stabbed my stepfather.

I told each of them the story, and they ran to their carriages, and went off to the houses as fast as they could.

Bam. The doors went right open into the room. I couldn't bare to watch this sad story, so I only turned away.

Everyone came out of the room soon after in tears. The room was emptied, and the body was carried out. But all I noticed, was Cinderella, in the corner alone. I cried for her, it was too sad. I walked over to the spot she stand in. I said slowly," Cinderella, my words will not be enough to cover this night. But I'm so-" she interrupted me.

With cruel words she said,"Just shut up."

"What?" I said in shock, of how rude she was being.

"I said Shut Up!" She grabbed my robe, then shoved me against the wall, "if it weren't for your tardiness, he would still be here." Her hands were growing closer to my neck, as if she was going to choke me to death. "It is all your fault." She was about to slap me, when a police man broke us up.

In a bold accent,"It wasn't her fault, Cinderella." He hugged her, and whispered," I'm so sorry."

It has been a long night for all of us. I luckily forgave her for hitting me, but still haven't let go of the events before this.

It was sunny on the day of the funeral, but it didn't feel sunny in our hearts. We have only just met him. And my mother has only just started to quarrel with him. I didn't know him much, but he did seem like a nice guy. It saddens me he had to go, this early on into the new family. I looked over to my right, and saw my mom crying, to my left Cinderella with a straight face, in front of me a lowering coffin. I was surrounded by sadness. I haven't been this depressed since, father died in the hospital bed, from cancer. But alas, no one can have a happy ending.

We went home, had lunch, the dinner, then it was bedtime. Nothing exciting. None of us spoke to each other. Occasionally, visitors would come by sharing their grief, with some flowers or homage soup. And when ever we tried to say something, Cinderella would have to ruin it. Yes, she knew her father and loved him more than any of us, but that doesn't mean we don't have feelings for him either. This went on for days, with no exciment. It did get boring to often.

I saw the obituary written in the newspaper for him. It was pitiful. A small section of that beside a blurry picture of a grumpy man trying to be happy.(The picture was take after his wife's death) It said:
                                       Eddy Lithel (1849-1881)
                                 A man, lost his way until he found
                               Cynthia Carter, who became his betroved,
                               But died at giving birth to Cinderella. Found
                                Another wife who also lost her husband.
                              It was to soon when he died of illness,
                               But it was long enough for the family.

Pitiful. Truly Pitiful. He didn't die of sickness, he was murdered. I guess they didn't want the other subjects to freak out, think their is a murderer on the lose, (even though their is).  But what makes it worst was, it was horribly written, not giving enough credit for what he successes in life and Cinderella keeps telling her father died from sickness. (Maybe that is what the newspaper got their false fact from).

2 weeks after the death, of my stepfather, mother was in control of the house. Luckily, I didn't have to work to keep it tidy. Even Sally didn't have to work.
Five days before all this control, mother found a will, stating she gets the house and is now the mother of Cinderella.

Well, since we were tired of Cinderella, being in control, the table turned on her. Now she has to do the chores, and all the cooking, and so on and so forth. I felt bad, that I didn't feel bad for her. Apart, from the recent death, I don't feel any sadness for her. She deserved it. She needs to learn to take orders now, and what it feels like what I went through when I met her. Unfornuatly, with all this, hardwork, she has been going crazy. She started talking to the birds and rats. She makes clothes for them, and tell them about her dreams. That is the only time when I think, she needs a reality check.

I didn't feel like getting out of bed, so I just rang the bell to gave my breakfast brought up to me. I have to give her props though, it is a tough job. I've done it before. I don't know why but when she says,"Here is your tea and biscuits, mam," I get chills. After I drink the tea, I always get a feeling of happiness. But then I realized, what the feelings of happiness, we're not natural. I finally, saw a small bottle of something in her pocket. I got suspicious, so I real quick took it out of her apron. As, I looked at it, I read the side effects, very happy. Then, I read the front. It said,"Luperoys's Fast Acting, Getting Sick Fast Doohickey" I can't believe it she,has been butting this stuff in my drink, to get me sick. How dare she. I said sharply,"Seriously, You aren't getting supper tonight." She looked at the bottled, that stared at me scary like.

I just kept starring back, when chills went up my spine, I got a horrible pounding headache. "Agh," I said in pain.

"Serves you right."

"Come back here." Unfortunately, she just walked out of the room. I couldn't move, so I just sat there, trying to consume what has been happening. I spoke to myself and kept on saying ,"What" all over again. Luckily, after a 3hour nap, my headache was gone. I still had chills, but it was fine. I decided that I'll sleep in some more, just because I can.

I was woken up by Beth, which startled me. "You slept in till 1'." she stated.

"I did," than look over to the clock, and it said 1:03,"I did." I then giggled.

"Well, since Cinderella, isn't in charge of us, I have something we can do."

"Like what," I said tired but excitedly.

"Let's explore."

"Explore what?

"This house, and the rooms in it." Her plan was solid. Today, we'd see the rooms that are, I mean, we're forbidden. I got dressed fast, and got ready for the day ahead.

We tiptoed out of the room, like we weren't suppose to do this, but when we tiptoed two feet, we realized that we have freedom of this house, we don't have to be secretive anymore. We started running.

We went into the ballroom, which was of course huge. I felt like I was in a castle, in a fairy tale. What made this room even more special, it had a huge grand staircase smack down the middle, that led up to the other rooms. Also, if we had a small ball here, we could make a huge entrance. I imagined, what it is like to have a party in this room. Filled with people in gowns you couldn't breathe in, and suits that looked all fancy but were really just a hammy down or rented out for the night. I could stay in here all day, but I was to excited to go in the other rooms, I had to leave.

We went up the grand staircase to see the room upstairs, but when we were at the top of the stairs, Beth gave me a funny look and said,"Wait, one moment." She slowly, was making her way down the stairs, chest out, hand waving in the air as if she was a queen. She looked ridiculous. I just said,"Come on," waving her in this direction. We both just laughed for Beth's silliness.

We searched all the rooms upstairs. They were all the same. Now, I'm not saying boring, but they had the same concept. A bed in the middle, a chair, some sort of instrument, a closet, and a bathroom. Couldn't they just jazz it up a little bit? The only bedroom that stuck out to me, was the one with a bay view window. The sun just came in, and shined on the bed sheets, making the whole room glow.

We walked around the house some more, and found us in the music room. I could see why, we weren't allowed in here. If this was my house, I wouldn't want anyone in here myself. My head just explored every corner. I didn't know so many instruments could be in one room. I made a list just to remember all of them. I jotted down:
Grand Piano
Baby Grand Piano
Guitar
Chelo
Violin
Flute
Clarinet the
Pickello
Trumpet
And Trombone

One instrument I forgot to put down, since you can't see it, you only hear it was voice. I don't know why, but I could tell many people sang in here. This was a room of happiness, and I am going to use it often.

We found ourselves in all sort of rooms like the basement, kitchen, grand bathroom (which has thud biggest tub ever), and an art room.

But unfortunately, the day had to come to an end, fore we heard a loud thunder, and it started to rain. But of course, not actual thunder and rain that comes from the sky, but rain and thunder that have came from Cinderella's face. "Please, please. Make it all stop." She said this to a rat. Of course, she went mad. I read a book about mad people,I think it was called, "Alice in Wonderland." I might still have the copy. Anyway, it was about a girl named Alice, who fell down a hole by following a white rabbit in a waistcoat. Her adventures in wonderland, were given to those to were mad, but of course everyone is mad there. She grew and shrunk, because she drank things that said,"Drink Me." She didn't even know what was in it, it could have been drugs for all I know since she was hallucinating all this. And sooner than later, I determined she went mad herself in wonderland. After I read this crazy book, I heard their is an actual disease that is based off of this book. It is a brain tumor, where the patient goes mad, grows or shrinks, and start seeing things, hence forth it was determined to be called,"Alice in Wonderland Syndrome." Maybe she has it.

I just ignored her, and walked away.

Then she tapped me on the shoulder, and said all calmly," Your clothes are downstairs." Then she went to calm, to bratty again, and started to mumble to herself.

I just swayed my head to side to side, got my clothes, and went to bed.

Eddy Lithel (1849-1881)
                                 A man, lost his way until he found
                                Another wife who also lost her husband.
                              It was to soon when he died of illness,
                               But it was long enough for the family.

"Serves you right."

"Let's explore."

"Explore what?

Grand Piano
Baby Grand Piano
Guitar
Chelo
Violin
Flute
Clarinet the
Pickello
Trumpet
And Trombone

I just ignored her, and walked away.

Just Wait untill Part 2.

My dressed, looked absolutely gorgeous. Blue silk, and purple sleeves. Mother said this was made by her, but honestly, I think it was tailored.

I went inside the hallway, with my ballroom makeup and outfit on. And Beth was there as well. She was in the same dress, just different colors, red and rose pink. You could tell we were twins, just by the way we were dolled up. Luckily we aren't identical twins, that would be a disaster.

My mother said as if she were about to cry, “Now there are my two gorgeous daughters.”

That is when it hit me. I felt bad for Cinderella. Whether I like it or not, she is apart of this family. She has to come. It wouldn’t feel right.

I stepped forward nervously and asked, “Could Cinderella come? It wouldn’t feel right to leave her alone here. She is family and-”

My mother inturuppted me and pulled me forward sympathetically and said, “I know, I know, she is family, but we mad a deal. The carriage will be here soon, and I don’t think she can make a dress on time.”

I heard the rocks hitting together, with slightest sound of a horse. The carriage was pulling up.

“But mom, can we please let her borrow one of my dresses. With all she has been through, she needs one special night. You never know, she might fall in love with the prince, that means she would move out. No more pulling our hair.”

“Your actually right,” I heard Cinderella coming down the stairs with that sentence. In shock she had a dress on, “I do intend to fall in love with the prince, or something, to move out and move to the palace. It be better than here I assume. I’d be queen and have power. I’d be away from you.” She paused. Then twirled her dress and asked, “Do you like my dress? My friends helped me.”

“And by friends you mean?” My sister asked, knowing she had friends.

“The rats of course and some birds.”

I was fed up with all this rat stories. “For the last time, you’re not friends with the-” I stopped because I was so angry. I looked at her dress closer, to see if my eyes were playing tricks on me. They weren’t. I shouted, while holding her dress, “How could you?!?! You steal my fabric from the clothes you made me throw away. I threw them away because of you. Now I find out, you just wear them without my consent!”

My sister finally figured out why I was angry and noticed she was too being jipped. “Are those my pearls!”

One by one, we ripped her dress knowing she has stole from us. She was left with a corset and her girdle. She was in shock and infuriated and sad at the same time. I regret everything I said. I am extremely glad she is not going to the ball. She doesn’t deserve it.

“Girls, never behave like that again! As for you Cinderella, you are not going to the ball, and will never get to go outside these gates ever again unless I say so. I am very disappointed in you. A lady does not steal.” My mother just shook her head disapprovingly.

“Fine! But you will regret that decision! And as for you…” She pointed at me, “I hate you.” She was getting choked up. “It is because of you, my father is dead. It is because of you, I’m not going to get my happily ever after!”

I was getting teared eyed. Everything she said beat me up inside. My mother tried to pull me back, but I stepped forward. “You don’t deserve a happy ending.”

I walked outside in the front, in tears. I told the carriage rider it would be a minute. I could imagine my mom telling Beth we need to go and Cinderella running off. It was a couple seconds later, when my true family followed me to the carriage. It was a silent ride to the castle except for once, right before we pulled up the palace.

“Now then. We aren’t going to allow one little argument ruin our night are we?”

I nodded, but then looked away. I was lying. Cinderella ruined the night for me, at least for now.