The Missing Time | Teen Ink

The Missing Time

June 4, 2014
By LLAAProductions BRONZE, pasco, Washington
More by this author
LLAAProductions BRONZE, Pasco, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note: The tittle is still a work in progress.

“Earth, the final frontier.” I made the two hanging starships collide. I’m in my brother’s room, my mom and I haven’t touched anything in here since his disappearance. Nothing has changed, not even the Jimmy Hendrix poster he used to cover up the massive hole in the wall he made 5 years ago when I was ten.
My brother Will has been missing for almost a year now. I remember coming in here sitting on his bed, watching movies, playing games, actually kicking his ass at said games. Lately I’ve noticed that I come into his room every once in a while and just lay there on his bed, blankly staring at the solar system he had displayed on his ceiling.
Where the hell is he? Maybe he went to join the circus finally, or he’s off being an amazing scientist who plays the guitar and has millions of fans. I know I’m trying to give myself false hope on these idiotic dreams we once had, but I just want to believe he’s off for some greater purpose in life then being here with me and mom… and “The Creep.” I miss my big brother a lot, he was my only friend.
“Hey honey” I look over to my left, snapping out of my thoughts. I see my mom leaning on the door frame; it looks like she’s hugging it as she gives me those eyes I hate so much. Eyes a little teary and filled with pity. I know my mom should be the one more struck with grief about my brother’s disappearance since she bore him, but Will was all I had ever since our mother began to change.
“Can you come help us bring the groceries inside?” The muscles in my face haven’t worked since I was three, so I gave her my usual blank stare. We stay there for a while looking at each other from across the room until she sighs in defeat.
“Honey I know you’re upset. It’s almost been a year since he’s left. You can’t sulk for the rest of your life. Please, your father and I need you.”
“He’s not my dad!” I give her a stern look; she backs away a bit from the door.
“Now you look here he is your father! He provides this family with security and puts food on our table. Now I expect you to stop moping around here and get your butt down stairs missy!” I kept staring at her, never breaking eye contact, not moving an inch. She threw her hands up into the air and stomped down the hallway.
That man is not my father, he’s just another creep my mom met, but this time she was stupid enough to marry him. Why can’t she see that he just wants to take advantage of her?
I gather up my thoughts and roll out of Will’s bed, immediately falling face first on the eerie grey carpeted floor. Instead of getting up I press my ear to the ground. I can hear my mother down stairs talking to The Creep. He’s saying he wants to send me off somewhere again, my mom says no. It’s good to know she’d still defend my honor. He’s been trying to get me out of this house even before they were married, I don’t blame him, I ruin any hope for happiness.
I haven’t been able to recover from my brother’s disappearance. Like I said before he was my only friend at the time, the only person I could rely on. I had lost my friend Kinsley; he committed suicide a week before Will’s disappearance. My brother was trying to keep me positive by trying to cheer me up every time I was down. I don’t know why he would leave at such a time. I actually don’t think he left willingly.
When I entered his room that night everything was trashed, it looked like a fight broke out. The signs were there, there had been a struggle, but everyone looked past it saying that he probably just left. He was marked as another teenage runaway. But I knew Will and he’d never leave, not without telling someone.
But then again, Will could have gotten in with the wrong crowd. He could have had a life we didn’t know about. He could have put on a visage when he was around us, but that scares me. It would mean I never really knew him and now that I look back on it, I never even tried. It still doesn’t sound like my brother though, or at least the brother I knew. It’ll be almost be a year since Will has been gone. The cops gave up looking for him a long time ago, I’m pretty sure they’ve already pronounced him dead.
I push myself off the floor to stand up, shaking my head to put my thoughts at ease. I decide to go down stairs staring at the doorway before actually going through it. I walk to the hallway and towards the stairs. I take each step with caution, making sure I don’t step on a creaky floor board. My mom and The Creep are still talking. I want to sneak up on him, he hates it when I do that.
I reach the bottom of the stair case and go around to the opposite entry wall to the kitchen, making sure they won’t see me. I sneak up on him without my mother noticing me creeping up on them.
“I don’t like that. I think I read somewhere that it’s better for a child to be with their parents so they don’t become sociopaths. You wouldn’t want me to become a sociopath now would you Jeff?”
“Holy s***!” he exclaimed as he jumped backwards at the sight of me. Mission success.
“Abby! Don’t do that! How many times do I have to tell you to stop messing with your father?” I glared at her, the corners of my eyes along with my nose cringing at the word father.
“There it is again! You keep saying this man is my father, and I keep telling you that he isn’t. He’s another one of your men ready to tear this family apart!” I spit out every word with venom. I know the real reason why he wants to send me off so bad. It’s because he’ll think I’ll tell on his extra activities and he’s right, I intend to.

I’ve been watching Jeff secretly smuggle bundles of black bags into the house. I’ve heard him on the phone with other women saying the same compliments he’s given my mother. He’s hit me before, threatening to sell me; he looked dead serious about it too. I believe him. Will didn’t know everything, but he knew that I didn’t like Jeff, and he stood up for me, he never left my side. I was never alone with Jeff, Will was always there, but he’s gone off somewhere.

It hit’s me pretty hard when I remember that Will is gone. Sometimes I can completely forget about the situation at hand due to school work, but it always comes back to me. I stopped crying about it about 4 months in. My eyes won’t produce anymore tears.

I look over towards my mom remembering that I wasn’t alone in my mind. She looked hurt, she looked angry; she looked as if she didn’t know me, and she didn’t. Me and my mother used to be close, but once our father left, we drifted apart. We were strangers living in the same house.

I couldn’t look at her in the eyes, so before anyone could say another word I left the room, and out the front door where I was blinded by the mid-summer sun.

I felt the humid summer heat the minute I stepped outside. I regretted coming out here, but I needed to think, I needed some space. I normally did my thinking in Will's room, even when he was around. If I did then I could hear those two talking through the floor boards, and I didn't want to have to get into another argument with my mother if she decided to follow me upstairs. Walking aimlessly onto the sidewalk, not sure exactly where to go. I decided upon going to the nearest park to let off some steam.
I wonder what The Creep is saying to her right now. my mom's angry with me, maybe even disappointed; anything The Creep says will sound like the right thing to do. I may be sent away for real this time, just what The Creep wants. He wouldn't have to worry about me spilling the beans on him if I'm sent off somewhere.
When I arrived at the park there was no one around. It's six in the afternoon, most families leave around eight, but it's a Monday. They always leave earlier on Mondays.
I sat on the swing in the center of the swing set, it was my favorite. I swung for a while before I began to calm down from the events from earlier. Instead of dwelling on everything going on, I decided to remember the good old times.
My father wasn't around much for most of my life, but I remember Will saying that he was a pretty rad guy. He'd tell me how when dad was around they would travel everywhere the old bug would take them. Our dad was full of energy and life; he was the life of every party. He was the kind of person you'd assume has seen some pretty wicked s*** in his day. Our dad didn't like to stay put to one place, he couldn't stay still. I'm not really sure the reason he left, because I didn't really have a conscience to remember when he was here, but I've always had this belief, it's because he's out there experiencing something more. When I was young, when my mother started to date other people, I always believed that my father would appear one day and take me and Will on an adventure...permanently, but that day never came. I know not that our father had upped and left us.
I started to remember when my mom, Will, and I used to always come to this park whenever my mom was out of work, which was normally the weekends. We'd come in the middle of the night, laying down a blanket on the cold, grassy ground so we can lie down and watch the stars.
I think this is when Will started to love the stars. Out mom used to be so invested in us, she would teach us everything she knew. She even used to bail us out of school so we could experience something more, so we can see how the real world outside was along with the logical learning we were receiving from school.
The way my brother described my father was the same way I saw my mother, but soon enough I started to see her eyes change. they weren't filled with life anymore, they started to dull through the years. She started to change, bringing random men home. The longest they'd stay was a month after they ran off with most of our money.
Jeff has been with my mother longer than any of the other jerks she's dated, so long that she even married him. Oh god, Will needs to be here when it all falls apart though. Once they leave her she goes into this mass depression and becomes even more distant then she is now. the only person who could seem to comfort her was Will, she loves Will the most, probably because he looks like our dad.
My mind started to wonder back to the topic of Will and his disappearance. I haven't told my other yet, but I plan to find him no matter what. He's the anchor of our unstable family, he keeps us sane, he keeps us calm and without him it seems like every little thing pushes us to the edge. Our tempers have risen, and they keep rising, because we don't have someone there to remind us that we love each other, that we only have each other.
I have this theory that if I drive all the way to Idaho State, then I can find my brother's main man Travis. Travis has already been interviewed my the cops within the first week of Will's disappearance, but I have a weird feeling he's keeping something from us. Him and Will were the best of friends since their freshman year of high school, they were inseparable. They told each other everything, I was actually jealous of Travis because he was closer to my brother than I was. They kept everything on the down low, meaning they had tons of secrets between each other.
He's keeping something from us, from me, I know it, and I am going to find out what it is. I am going to have my own interview with him, press him up to a corner until he cracks. The fact that Will's room was trashed makes the whole situation smell fishy to me. I want my family to go back to the way it was, I want my brother back, but first I have to find out where he is. Feeling really determined and righteous I bolt up from the swing set and head straight for home.
When I got home the sun was still out, but the street lamps were on already, it must be seven. Not wanting my mother or The Creep to know I came back, I decided to enter through the side door which was closer to the stairs. I gently closed the door behind me and waited for the tiny click to be heard before I turned around to head for the bottom of the stairs. I didn't make it to the bottom of the stairs though.
"Can you tell me where you have been all this time?" I looked over to see my mother sitting at the kitchen table reading a book, trying to figure out how to plant tulips. It was like that overly used scene where you get home late and you think you're out of the dog house, only to find out that you're not. A light suddenly turns on and there sitting in the dark is your guardian. My shoulders slumped from their tense position; I looked over at her and sighed.
" I was at the park, I had to get something sorted out in my mind." I looked away then back noticing she was about to say something.
I spoke up first, "I know you're angry, and you have the right to be angry with me. I went too far. Can you let this one slide for today? I have some homework that I should go to bed early. If you decide later that you need to talk you'll find me in Will's room." The way I spoke towards her probably made her more mad, but when I looked back towards her, she nodded her head and sat back down continuing to read her gardening book.
I headed up to my room. I ignored my homework covering my desk as I sat down, I pushed it aside. I grabbed my laptop and checked the calendar. I sent an IM to Travis telling him I'm going to visit soon, closing my laptop soon after, not waiting for a response. I circle the first week of May on my calendar, I plan to go then. I start planning how I will get Travis to tell me what's up, to tell me the truth, writing everything down in my trusting leather back note pad. When I'm finished I decide it'll be best if I do start on my homework. I grabbed all of my papers and headed towards Will's room I'm going to find out what happened to him even if it means I have to play hooky.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.