The Life of Chole Grace | Teen Ink

The Life of Chole Grace

April 4, 2014
By Anonymous

Author's note: Whats the purpose of life, Why are we here, Why do we have pain?

I made a quick left on 21st avenue, I tried to push my thoughts away while running up the stairs. As I unlocked the door to my apartment I made another attempt to clear my mind. I kicked my shoes off and collapsed onto the couch. I didn’t have time to deal with this right now, It wasn’t in my schedule, but I did anyway. I scanned my surroundings and realized I had everything I had ever wanted. My place was decorated exactly how I wanted, everything had its own place and it was always clean. I lived in the beautiful state of Washington and was going to the college of my dreams, all my hard work from high school payed off and I had a full ride scholarship. All of my savings went towards housing and a new car. I work for the most perfect family, the kids are wonderful and always a joy to be around. I couldn’t ask for a better family and friends. I had nothing to complain about but my mind kept going back to that one place and I couldn’t seem to stop it, no matter what I did.


I moved from the living room to my bed room in a effort to get ready. It was already 4:30 and Ashley was coming to get me at 5:15. I planned out what I would wear in my head. I would wear my black skirt with my red scarf and white tee paired with my gray boots. I quickly grabbed my clothes and slipped on my outfit and went into the bathroom to try to fix my hair and redo my make-up. I pulled out the brush from the drawer and looked in the mirror. I stared back at the person looking at me. Silence filled the room and I found my mind drifting back to that place. I didn’t want to be epically today. I didn’t understand why it was so present on my mind today it just seemed to keep coming up. Suddenly the phone rang piercing the silence and instantly pulling me back to reality. I ran out of the bathroom and grabbed the phone. “Happy 21st Birthday.” I heard my mom's sweet soft voice. “Thank You Mom.” I said. She began to tell about the letter she sent me in the mail, I didnt hear any following information on the letter, I just heard the sound The sound of her voice was so familiar and warm. That was the voice of the one who comforted for the entirety of my childhood. It was always the first sound I heard when I would open the door coming home from school. Her gentle voice asking how my day went. Of all things I missed, her voice was at the top of the list. “Okay?” she said interrupting my thoughts. I agreed not sure what she was talking about. “Your brother came home from school yesterday complaining about his history teacher. He says he's the same teacher you had your freshman year. Do you remember who he was?” I tried to recall but I wasn’t sure, and knowing my little brother the teacher couldn’t actually be that bad. Ben was four years younger than me and from the day he started the first grade he had been finding ways to make sure he didn’t have to do anything. I giggled at the though of him telling his teacher the reason for his uncompleted homework was cause he had spent the night at the hospital from some rad scrapes he got while he was boarding. “I'm sorry mom I cant seem to remember but he cant be that bad, why is Ben taking a history class this year, he's a senior?” “he failed last year, remember?” “Oh” I exclaimed. “Yes I remember.” I heard Ashley knock on the door. I yelled at Ashley to come in, she plopped herself on the couch and told me to hurry. I turned my attention back to my mom, I will call later okay, I love you I said. I heard my mom say I love you too baby and I miss you. As I hung up the phone my heart sank for a moment upon remembering what it was like to be home for birthdays, to be surrounded by my family. I heard Ashley open the fridge and loudly proclaim that I needed to do some grocery shopping. Pulling on my boots I wobbled into the kitchen and closed the fridge door. I laughed " ha, there's no way!" Ashley looked at me and began to walk away. "lets go" she shouted over her shoulder. “whats the plan” I asked as I grab my keys from their usual spot on the dresser in my room. “its a surprise, I'll meet you in the car but hurry okay the guys are waiting for us.” I heard the door slam shut and started to walk down the hallway slowly looking at each picture hanging upon the wall. I looked at my mom in our latest family picture and guilt came over me for the way I cut my mom off earlier. I thought of my sister, Natasha who I hadnt seen in over a year and a half, she was engaged and I hadnt even met the guy. She was still back east for college and I never made a trip out to see her. I thought of my brother, Ben who was growing up as an only child, he wouldnt have any memories of going to highschool with his siblings like I had with Tasha. As I moved farther down the hallway I noticed the picture from when Ben and I brought home a dog that “followed” us home from school and when Tasha and I dressed up in my mom's “pretties.”
I suddenly missed all the traditions of friday night pizza and making banners for people's birthdays even stealing my sisters socks. In the right hand corner of the wall I noticed a small picture, it was worn and crinkled at the edges. I closed my eyes and I was there again. It was gorgeous day, the most perfect day, the sky was blue and the clouds were the puffiest anyone had ever seen them. The grass was so green it seemed fake. Reality pulled me from the memory and I was left to only observe. There was a young girl, she was barely 16 and she had the brightest blue eyes, they were light and airey They were beautiful even though they held deep secrets of pain, but in this photograph you didnt see that, all you saw was joy. Her smile was contagious. Her hair was long and bleached by the sun. Her skin sunkissed and warm, it was as if I could feel it even thought I was just observing the photo. Her hand was intertwined with his, he was tall and strong. His eyes had beautiful blue depth. His eyes were locked on her. He smiled down at her as she was slightly giggling to herself and just by luck someone had caught it on camera wihtout either one of them noticing. I closed my eyes and for a brief moment I was taken back, a smiled came to my face. HONK! The horn of my car startled me. I walked out the door, locked up my house that was filled with every treasure that belonged to me and ran down the stiars. Ashley looked at me with impatience and I just laughed at her.


We started to drive,I had no idea where we were going. She made a right hand turn on evergreen way. “Where are we going?” I pestered. “I thought we were meeting the guys." Ashley rolled her eyes at me and pretended to focused on the road. Ashley and I had know eachother since the first day of college. I rememeber wandering around campus turning my map in every direction to try and find out where I was. I was so nervous and too shy to ask for help. So I wandered aimlessly until ashley came straight up to me and asked where she could find Professor Johnson's room. I chuckled softly and told her I was looking for the same room, we decided to look together. Ashley and I became really close that first year and had been best friends since.


I looked out the window in awe of the beauty of the forest. Our campus was right in the middle of an enourmous evergreen forest. During the winter it was absoluetly breath taking, when the trees were covered in snow and around christmas the school puts lights on some of them. Soon we exited the charming appearance of the forest and entered the other side of Washington. The city. I looked over at ashley, “what have you got planned?” looking at her knowing she had some michevous arrangement for the evening coming. She chuckled and responded with “the guys are already at the restaurant.” "So dinner and a movie?" "Hell no," she laughed.
I laughed at her and continued to occupy myself with all the extravagent lights, tall building and loud music playing in the streets. I wasnt exactly a city girl so this was all sort of new to me. We pulled up to an unbelievably tall builiding. “Wait, I hesitated. Were going in there, are you sure?”
Woah I need to get you out more often, Ashley teased. "Hey, Im' from Colorado not New York, cut me some slack.” We walked towards the building, I admired the unique detailed hadi work of gthe architure that was displayed all over the skyscrapper. There were two glass doors with golden handles. I looked stright up directly after entering the building, it seemed as though it went up forever. The guys were waiting for us in the lobby area. I heard Dylan say “Dont act so shocked that things like this exsistce, Chloe.” I gave him a friendly shoove, “not even a happy birthday just straight to the teasing” I said. He laughingly responded “ it just wouldnt been right if I didnt tease you.” he embraced me in a tight squeeze and exclaimed loudly. “Happy 21st Birthday baby.” I felt his hands move down my side and wrap around my waist “Thank You” I said kissing him on the cheek. He looked at me like it was the most absurd thing I could have done. He came in to kiss me and I quickly slipped out of the way and gave Josiah a hug. Dylan looked at me astonished. “it just wouldn't be right if I didnt tease you” I remarked. I heard my friends burst into laughter and I began to giggle. I turned back to Josiah, “how are you doing?”
"I'm good, Happy Birthday." "Thanks" I said. I had know Josiah since I was really young. We grew up in the same town. He was one of my best friends. We both played basketball, except he was on the varsity team as a freshman, it took me a bit longer to get to varsity level. most weekends we would go shoot hoops till midnight. During junior year our friendship started to change. One night while walking home in silence Josiah decided he would break the awkward pause. He asked me if I ever thought about us, like us as a couple. I smiled down at my feet and asked if he had to be home any time soon. I can still hear the way he responded. Psh do you even know me a curfew, no way. I giggled and we sat and looked at the stars for hours talking about all the hidden secrets we had. Around 2 am that morning he rolled over and looked at me, I got lost in his gorgeous blue eyes, he asked me if I would be his girlfriend. I said yes. And that night underneath the stars I had my first kiss. We dated through junior and senior year but as graduation approached things got tense, we werent sure how our relationship would work long distance if we werent at the same college. We started to fight and thats when we realized that not only our realtionship was in jeopardy but also our friendship. We broke up two weeks before graduation and it was one of the hardest things I had to do. I moved up to washington that summer. Josiah moved to the east coast to attend a junior college to do his generals and live with his dad. We wrote letters all the time and one day they just stopped. After two years being apart and over six months of not talking, I finally got a phone call from him. He told me to come outside and when I did he was standing at the bottom of the stairs at my apartment with a full car and a tired look on his face. After multiple minutes of just laughing in gleeful shock he explained that he finished his generals and had recieved the ok to transfer to WU to start his marketing degree. I had endured two years of chaos without my best friend, and it was dream come true to have him back in my life.


Dylan grabbed my hand from behind and we walked towards the opening of the restaurant. It was picturesque. There was a bar with lights hanging above it.“Reservation for ashley” “right this way” the host said, we followed him to a small table towards the edge of the restaurant. “your waitress will be right with you” it was silent for a moment and then ashley spoke up, “Josiah, I saw you talking to that girl in Art Appreciation Class?” “yea what about her” he muttered “some details would be nice!” he smirked at her “ehh you know she's nice to look at and stuff but I dont really know her that well.” “how good looking?” Dylan added to the conversation. I nudged him he looked at me and laughed paybacks rough. Ashley gasped, “really its her birthday” Dylan leaned over and gently kissed me on the cheek. “I love you babe” he whisered in my ear. I smiled at him and joined into the conversation with Ashley and Josiah. "We still have another year and a half of college," Josiah groaned. “Its gone quickly though.” I added. I would disagree! retorted Ashley. "Come on guys? Its not like its been bad, I've loved college with you guys! I said a little frustarted. Dylan quickly entered the conversation. “I think Chole has a point we've been really lucky to have eachother even if there have been some rough times.” Josiah looked like he was thinking, but before he said anythning our waitress walked up. Hi My name is Sarah I'll be your waitress for the evening. What can I get you folks to drink. Ill take whatever has alcohol in it said Dylan. Josiah ordered a beer and Ashley and I ordered martinees. Dylan turned to me and asked me if I was excited? For? Your first legal drink? Oh yea of course I responded. Ashley giggled "yea your first drink?" "Hey watch it" I said. A waitor came around the corner and asked for our ID's. I rumedged thorugh my bag and grabbed my wallet, quickly slipping my ID out from its spot in my wallet. I showed the waitor and he moved on from me checking the rest of my parites. He quickly returned with our drinks. That was odd ashley said. I looked at her confused. They usually dont send an differnet person out to ID you and bring out your drinks. Hmm I said maybe our waitresses shift ended. Josiah chuckled I bet she isnt twenty one. I dropped my wallet back into my bag and noticed my phone ahd started to ring, I didnt recognize the number, usually I would just have Dylan answer for me but this wasnt the time nor the place and for I couldnt seem to shake the feeling that I knew whoever was on the other side of the phone. The number looked kind of familiar but I couldnt figure out from where. Should I take the phone call outside, I thought. If they really need to get a hold of me they will leave a message. I ignored my phone and set my bag back on the ground. When my focus returned to what was happening in the now I realized everyone was looking at me. Whats wrong I asked? Are you going to try your drink? Yea I said. I lifted the cup to my lips and took a sip. In the first moment I was unsure if I liked it not but as I continued to consume my drink I found myself in love with it. We continued to bable and laugh and order more drinks im not even sure what I ordered to eat, the night became a blur.


My eyes flashed open I looked over at my clock on my nighstand. It was five fifteen. How did I get here? What was going on? Suddenly my legs began to move and I found myself on the cold bathroom floor with my head in the toilet. My vomit was acidic and it burned. I dosed off for about fourty five minutes but then found myself vommiting again. I finally passed out laying in the bathtub.


I heard a knock on the door. I forced my eyes open and peered through the opening of the bathroom door It was ten o' three. I sighed and swung my head back down hitting it on the bottom of the tub. I wasnt sure if I could move ro if I even wanted to. I tried to use any strength I had to push my self up but couldnt do it I collaopsed back down and moaned again. I heard someone insert a key and turn the handle. It had to be ashley. “Ashley” I called out. I heard the door shut but no respose. The person walked into my kithchen and turned the tap on, I listened as they got a cup from the cupboard and filled it. They made their way down the hallway towards me. Next thing I knew cold water was all over me and ashley was standing in the door way. I panted trying to catch my breath after the shock of cold water. “what the hell?” I sputtered Ashley got down on her knees next to me and began to apologize “ im sorry I had to do it, I promise it helps.” “Well it doesnt feel like it I just feel like im hung over with frost bite now.” Ashley giggled and helped me up. She sat me down on the floor and started a warm shower. “Theres no way I can take a shower I cant even stand” “you can, I promise” she helped me back up and shut the door. I undressed and slowly got into the shower. It was warm and perfect I couldnt ask for anything better. It met every need I could ever have. Apparently I was in the shower for a long time because ashley came in to check in on me. “I'll be out in just a second” I said. I grabbed the towel, it was clean and smelt fresh. Ashley must have gotten me and new towel cause I vaguely remember vomitting in one last night. On the counter was my favorite pair of sweats and old high school t-shirt. I slipped on my clothes and walked towards the living room. I fell on the couch, I heard ashley chuckle. "What happened last night?" I asked. Well after a few drinks you were totally wasted and we decided you needed to get home so Dylan drove you home. She pulled out her phone and showed me a picture of Dylan and I. He had his arm around me I was in the passenger seat next to him I was punched over vommitting on the floor. "Josiah and I got this picture about one with the caption, Happy Birthday to Chole she has thrown up about as many times as she is years old." "I'm never doing that again." I said with a groan. Ashley chuckled "You'll learn to limit yourself quite quickly." We spent the rest of the day watching movies. Around 6:30 Ashley headed home. I popped in another movie and fell asleep.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.