Highway To Hell | Teen Ink

Highway To Hell

By Tasnima751, Astoria, New York, New York
Tasnima751, Astoria, New York, New York

Chapter 1 - My Apologies To You, Good Great God
I could hear the sound of the truck grow closer as I glanced at the radio time. 4:56pm. I tilted my head, looking cautiously at the rear view mirror and saw it coming straight for me and its horn blasted on! BEEP BEEP! Pardon me, but you are mistaking me for someone who does not give a damn about your stupid horn. It was a red light, so I thought of just sitting there until the green light comes.
I stole another glance at the rearview mirror. “Oh shoot,” I mutter under my breath. My heart started to beat fast and sweat poured down the side of my face.
“NO NO NO NO!” I cried out, gulping for air. I was totally out of breath. “You know what, screw the light! I’m moving out of the way!” I shouted. I am not dying just for a crappy red light. As quick as lightning, I stepped onto the gas pedal, but nothing happened. WHAT? WHAT? The engine sounded as if it had exploded and then it came to a pause.
I shifted my position in my seat to get a better glimpse of how far away the monster was from me. Fear and anger boiled inside of me. “NO NO! THIS IS NOT HAPPENING! GGGRRRR!” I put my fingers on my forehead massaging them, thinking about what to do next. Nothing came to mind. This made me even more angry. I banged on the dashboard and suddenly, the engine roared with life! Whew! Relief flew over me.
I stomped on the gas pedal with all my might and I turned the steering wheel, two-full rounds with both hands to the right-- BOOM!
“OOWWWW!” I let out a loud scream. I was too late! Most of the window glasses broke into several pieces. Was it my spine that cracked or was it the car or maybe it was even both. The pressure that exerted onto my back from the truck made my car squeeze inward, which shot a great amount of pain up my spine as if someone was poking me with daggers.
And then no pain at all.
The blood that ran through my veins had come to a halt.
WWE EEE OOO EEE OOO! That was last thing I heard. The sound of sirens was coming towards my way. With barely any strength left like a butterfly that lost its colors, I tried to open the car door, but I gave up because my brain had completely shut down. It felt as if the devils had torn my heart away from my soul. I tried to open my eyes, but I couldn’t. I had simply dozed off to sleep thinking about my afterlife and I prayed to God about ALL of my soul drifting off to heaven. The light was getting smaller and dimmer as the darkness started to close around me.
_____________________________________________________________________
Chapter 2 - Mr. Heller Makes His Greatest Speech
I slowly opened my eyes and my visions started to clear. I peered at the place that I have fallen into. I felt as if someone had kicked me into a never-ending pit. It felt as if the earth had jumped out of its orbit. The sky above my head immediately grew dark and big blobs of rain fell onto my head.
“What in the name of the angel is going on here?” I asked anyone who was listening nearby. The lightning zapped across the sky, thundering a loud noise. I heard cheering. I stood on my feet and snapped my head in the opposite direction.
I thought I was dreaming, but I can tell you what I saw cannot be real. I. Saw. Devils. Was my mind playing tricks on me? “Oh yeah, this is probably an illusion I am having from the car crash!” I thought out loud. “What car crash?” I asked my mind. I shivered a bit, letting all the craziness fall out from my brain.
Okay, now for sure I was seeing red skinned “creatures” with evil grins on their faces and two big horns that stuck out of their puny heads. Yup, I was pretty sure these are all devils based on my perception of a devil, even though I haven’t really seen one.
Wait, when I prayed to God about going to heaven, I never meant hell! What is wrong with him? Wait, I should have never really said that! Wow, God must really hate me! “Bummer.” I said to myself with a sigh.
Suddenly, there was a loud bang noise that rung my ear drums. BBRRRIIIINNGG! What is this? All the humpty dumpties automatically turned the other way, and so do I because I obviously did not want to act like a fool and make a big scene. I turned to my left and I poked one of the devils in the shoulder waiting for him or her to face me, so I can ask him what this is all about, but the devil never did. I poked it, again. No movement.
Yeah, it is pretty clear why they didn’t even flinch to my touch. Devils DO NOT HAVE ANY SOULS because they are all cold-hearted. Yeah, that’s right. Okay, now, let me see if this was a hundred percent true. I slapped one of the devils right across back of the head, but then my hand goes right through their head without even feeling a thing and they obviously cannot feel anything either. It felt like I had just slapped the air. “Ha ha,” I said smiling. That felt funny, well it sounded funny to me, since I couldn’t actually feel it.
So, they cannot feel me, so let me see if they can hear me. This time, I turned to my right, went up to the devil’s face and scream, “Hello!” Nope, not a single reply. Ugh, how am I going to get out of here this ugly dungeon? Speaking of dungeons, why are these devils full of happiness and pride? I looked around and scowled.
Just then, there was another devil who walked onto the floating platform, which I just noticed now. “Uh huh.” I told myself. Yep, it was the leader of all devils, since he was the only one that stood about fifty-one feet in the air, wait-- I am exaggerating, maybe just fifty feet and and three-and-a-quarter of an inch in the air.
I squinted at devil. He looked pretty old and his cape flapped in the wind behind him like an wild animal trying the break lose from its cage and chains. I thought of Superman or Batman, but the only difference is that the cape is all red. Yes, of course, the color matches their skin color and it all depicts devils, evil, blood, agony and so on. Yup, it all makes sense.
“Wait, first of all how did he get up there? I see no stairs or anything that led up to there!” I questioned the devil to my right. No response. “Oh yeah, I forgot you devils can’t hear me. You’re like a moving statue with no hearing aid.” I mumbled to them although they cannot hear me. Hey, maybe devils can fly! Wow, the perks of being a devil! No no, I take that back. Oh Jesus.
“Silence!” demanded the old fart. Um, but what is wrong with him, no one was even talking! “I see you all have attended my meeting.” The devils nod their heads in agreement. Yes, we obviously all know that, I mean they. I turned my head until I couldn’t turn it anymore. Meeting? What is he talking about? This is not even a meeting! There are about more than a million of them who came!
“I have only one thing to tell you all,” he continued. Yeah, pleasant, so much for a meeting where millions of devils attend it. “This is very important. This is a duty that I am in need for all of you to complete. I know that anyways, all of you will have a pleasure in doing this, so I will just say it as simple as possible. Go make those disgusting and disgraceful mortals’ lives miserable, you skunk bags!” The devils cheered again in great pride. Did his minions understand what their leader had just told them? What a nice way to address kindness to your people-- “Wait, WHAT?” I shouted at the man, although he cannot possibly hear me over all this cheering and excitement. What did I just hear? Did I just hear that god-damn hippie tell us that these devils to go have fun making people’s lives miserable? Oh Lord! NOW, he really needs Jesus.
Okay, now that is just way WAY beyond the borderline. This man needs to grow up and get a backbone. I don’t do these things purposefully. When I torture people, I make it reasonable, like when my boss lowers my pay-check or when someone decides to take your chocolate. See, now that’s some good reasoning! Now, that’s when you start messing around with people’s lives. Anyways, when he said, “disgusting and disgraceful,” he better be referring to himself and his minions. I stared at everyone who were jumping with excitement and joy.
What the---? My train of thought was just then interrupted by a ratchety and scratchy voice. “Remember that this is obligated for every single one of you!” The leader said ending with a deep smile that stretched all the way back towards his ears. Oh he better not let his mind wander because it is far TOO small to be let out on it own. Who does he think he is? Oh yeah, he’s the leader of the all devils.
I slapped my forehead with my right hand. I was pretty sure that I would be walking around with a red bindi that covered half of the center of my forehead.
Standing here, listening to these directions just made me feel sick to my stomach like I had just drunk expired milk with too much gluten. “Why is life so complicated?” I said out loud, sighing. I found this “occasion” very unappealing. I wondered what was going to come next… Ugh. You know what? I do not even want to think about it.
Chapter 3 - My Charming Friend or Friends?
A Week Later…
It was raining. Hard. This was how it was everyday. I didn’t even have to shower because I had one all the time. Cleanliness was the only gift I had here and it was my only friend because when I ever talked to myself, the rain heard me as well. The rain was a very good listener. The rain was always patient with me. It cleaned me and listened to my thoughts and problems. He helped me in two ways and at the same time. What a great friend until-- one day…
I was doing my usual thing, which was lying on the ground symbolizing my pure boredom but then I was interrupted by a wolf.
It was no ordinary wolf. It had blue eyes. Wolves only had blue eyes at birth and when they were eight months, they turn yellow. This wolf looked way WAY over eight months. Also, what was this type of creature doing in this world? How can I ever expect a wolf for heaven's sake in hell? Do they even belong here?
I stared at the wolf, wanting for it to go away and give me my time. BUT, this was not what the creature did; it just crept closer. As it came closer, I scooted backwards, an inch by an inch. I knew it. It was going to eat me. I covered my eyes with the front of my hands, letting the wolf do the finale. I couldn’t care less about this anymore. This wasn’t worth my life anymore.
“You are different,” the wolf whispered with a french accent. I was pretty sure it was the wolf, since there wasn’t anyone around. Heh? The animal speaks?
I slowly let my hands drop to my lap, uncovering my eyes.
“What?” I asked.
“I have been watching you for the past few days. You fly around or lie down on the ground. You are never busy trying to accomplish your obligation. You are not doing what it expected from a devil. You are no ordinary devil.” And you are no ordinary wolf.
“Yeah I am. I like making people’s lives miserable you know! Ha ha!” I said, letting a fake laugh escape through my lips. I started to fumble with my fingers in my lap, hoping to play this sucker easily.
“I don’t see why you have to hide the fact that you are different. I can see your perceptions of this world.” The wolf paused. “Because they are just like mine.” He continued. Those words immediately sparked my mind.
“How can you tell when you don’t even know who I am.”
“I am may not know who you are, but the words on your face reveals it all.”
“Really?” I questioned, bewildered.

“Yes, yes. You are much like me.” Finally, someone who understands me.
Chapter 4 - Twinkle, Twinkle My Little Star
Two Months Later…
I laid on the dirty, hard ground. I stared up the dark, gray sky. The raindrops fell straight into my open eyes, blurring my vision.
“Come,” Oliver said as he stood up beside me like a phoenix rising. “Follow me, I have something to show you.” He continued, gesturing his head in the direction of the path that he wanted me to follow him.
“What? Why? Now?” I asked, annoyed. I got to my feet.
Then, he started running. He ran fast as if the world around him has come to an end. I started to follow him.
After what it felt like three miles of running, I stopped. I couldn’t run anymore. I was tired as if the sun was too close to my face.
“Oliver! Wait!” I yelled, my breathing hot and raged.

He whirled around, motioned with his paw. “This way!” He called before dashing around the corner of another alleyway.

“I am losing it! I cannot go any further!” I cried out.

“Trust me! We are getting there!” I heard him call up ahead. I reached the corner and saw Oliver bolting along, his head down. Sweat soaked through the back of my shirt. I tripped over a rock and fell-- I wasn't just slower than Oliver but clumsier too; I’d always envied his natural athleticism. He ran as fast as a cheetah. When I staggered to my feet, I caught a glimpse of Oliver disappearing at another alleyway. I hobbled after him, spikes of pain battering my scraped knees.

Lots sweat beads rolled from my forehead and then we came to a stop at a corner of another alleyway.

“What are we doing here?” I panted, my stomach roiling with nausea.
His face looked stern, he narrowed his eyes, and looked around to see whether or not if anyone was watching. NOW, he decided to look around to see if anyone is watching when people probably looked suspicious when we were running all the way here like maniacs!
“Just watch and have patience.” Oliver answered. I look down at Oliver. I could hardly breathe and he did not even sound tired.
I watched him as he slowly creaked the ugly, brown old door open and went inside. I followed his footsteps and stopped at my heels-- “Ooooo,” I drooled amazingly at the colorful doors. Wow, that ugly, brown old door can really frame a beautiful place.
“Yep, that’s what it looks like on the outside.”
“Heh? What do you mean?” I asked with a confused look as I turned around to meet his gaze.
“These are no ordinary doors. There are six of them: pink, orange, green, yellow, blue, and purple.” He directed his paw at each of the doors as he spoke. “I had a vision about this a very long time ago and that is how I discovered this place. There is only one door out of all six of them that will take you back where you came from. The other five doors brings you different types of chaos.” He explained further. I winced at the thought of the chaos that I might experience when I go through the wrong doors. This made me think of all the bad and scary things that could result from taking the wrong steps. All I wanted to do was to go home.
“But there are six doors! How do we know which door is the right one?” I asked frightenly. I did not want to go through the wrong door and I did not want to know about the type of chaos that would be thrown at me.
“We don’t.” We said without any expression or emotion shown on his face. “I can tell you that the first three doors are not going to take you home because I already tried them and they are not it and you do not want to know what happened in there.” So the pink, orange, and green down and the yellow, blue, and purple left to go.
“The doors only let you stay in the chaos for exactly seven minutes, and then they throw you out, straight back here. If you are there for more than seven minutes and you do not come back, then you have made your way safely back home.” He continued, trotting towards a flowerpot. He tipped the flowerpot over to the side. The flowers remained in the same exact position in the pot. Not a single piece of soil fell out; so the flowerpot was just a toy. A black cloak was revealed from under the pot. He dragged the cloak in his mouth, all the way to where I was standing and then dropped it like a shark that could its prey.
“Here, this will save you from most of the pain.” He said, pushing the cloak in my direction.
“Jee, thanks, a piece of clothing is sooo going to save me from the harm.”
“It is no ordinary clothing! It has so much energy and power to shield you! I am doing you a favor!” He snapped back at me.
“Wait-- how do you know about all the things? Where do you get these things from?” I asked, shockingly.
“I had visions about this place and cloak. But you know what’s funny?”
“What?” I questioned, trying to look amused.
“The visions never told me which door would take me back where I came from!” I don’t think he sensed the “amusement” in my voice.
“Well, the visions already gave you a lot of information, do you expect the visions to give you all the answers--”
“Well, the visions gave me this place and the cloak!--”
“--or should you be able to to find out all the answers using all the clues and hints that you received from the visions that you obtained? Don’t you see? It’s all a mystery that is made for you to solve!”
Oliver looked at the doors and pondered probably about what I had just said. And to think he was the wise one, since he had the visions and I was the idiotic fool.
“I was always greedy when I was with my mice family.” He said, looking down at the floor.
“Mice family? Heh?” I asked, looking puzzled. I thought he was a wolf. He was a bit way too big for a mouse.
“Yes, somehow after I came to this world, I turned into a wolf when I am actually a mouse.”
“How did you get here, then?”
“Honestly, I do not remember. I have been stuck in this horrible world for several years. Um, anyways, I think that you should start trying these last few doors to find the way out.” He said as he passed me the black cloak with his paw and looked away.
I took the cloak in my hands and moved my face in a stance where Oliver can look at me in the eyes without turning his head.
“What do you mean ‘you,’ aren’t you coming along when I find the right door?” I wondered, looking a bit worried.
For the first time that I have been with him so far, a smile grew on his face. It was an odd thing to see the stoned-face Oliver happy, or sad, because only his slanted blue eyes glinted a smile or welled with sorrow. His eyes are the windows to the soul. Never was that more true than with Oliver, who could only reveal himself through his eyes.
“I won’t be able to come. I want you to tell me the door to happiness and joy and I want to help other people like you who stumble into this terrible world to be able to get out like sunflowers turning to the sun. I want to be able to help to rescue them. Because of the visions that were given to me, I think I know what my special job is. It is to help wanders like you.”
“So you’re saying that you enjoy your life here?”
“No, I am saying that I enjoy my part of this life here.”
Before I had put on the cloak, I hugged him, tight like he was the only piece of life left in me. I did not know if whether or not I will be able to see him again, after I had found the right door.
“Even though I may not be able to be with you physically, I will always be there, spiritually, at your heart.” He whispered into my ear. In a long time, after hearing this thought, I shedded a tear, then three, then more. He was right. I will always remember him and he will always be with me, in my heart. I was the one who tore away from the hug first.
I slowly put on my black cloak. First through my right arm, and then my left. I glanced at him once more. In his soft, light blue eyes, I saw a spark of hope.
“Good luck,” Oliver yelped. He was at the verge of tears. He gulped, sending the lump in his throat to not rise.
I walked up to the door, two steps at a time, incase something went wrong. I felt Oliver’s eyes follow every step I took. I finally made it to the tip of the fourth door from the right. The door was yellow. Yellow. Ugh, yellow is such an ugly color. Why yellow? Since every one of these doors are a different color, then each color must mean something. Okay, think, think, think. Oh, so yellow is the color of the sun and it stands for brightness and this is a good thing, right? Oh God, please don’t let this be the wrong door, oh please! I sighed.
I lightly put my hand on the doorknob, letting my fingers close around it. I take deep breath. Inhale. Exhale. I held on to the black cloak, hoping it won’t fly off while I’m in there. I pushed the door forward getting ready for anything that was going to attack me.
I suddenly went blind by the light, then by the darkness. My head started to spin. This felt worse than hell. This felt longer than seven minutes and then--
Seven Minutes Later…
I groaned and rubbed my eyes and slowly opened them like a newborn baby trying to resist the light by opening its eyes. Someone was holding my left hand, tight and rubbing it. I peered at the face. It was my mother. She had bloodshot eyes with big black bags that stood under them. Her cheeks hung from her bones as if there was so much space beneath her cheeks. On top of her head was haystack and she looked like a raccoon.
I made a slight motion with my left hand and shifted my position on the bed. My mother quickly lifted her head as fast as lighting and her eyes widened. “Doctor! Doctor! He’s moving and he’s awake!” She screamed at the open door as she attacked me with kisses and hugs. “Oh honey, I thought you were gone for good! I was so worried!”
Gone? Worried? What? I looked around. I realized that I was in a hospital room.
I looked at myself. I was wrapped in so many bandages and there were numerous wires that were attached to me.
“What happened?” I asked my mother.
“Darling, you don’t remember? You got into a car crash! Thank goodness you’re still alive!” She answered in a tone with mixed emotions. There was happiness and sadness all over the place.
Suddenly, a male doctor rushed in, followed by two female nurses. As everyone tried to get my attention and started to ask me questions, something caught my eye. On the countertop, sat a mouse. He had the same soft, light blue eyes that Oliver had with that spark of hope. The mouse smiled at me, and in return, I did too.
The doctor, the two nurses, and my mother did not even bother to figure out who I was looking at; they continued to attack me with the questions that I never answered as the mouse’s eyes kept twinkling with glee.