The Lightning: The Sacred Power | Teen Ink

The Lightning: The Sacred Power

By Takeda, Tallahassee, Florida
Takeda, Tallahassee, Florida

~ Free at last! Free at last! Thank God All Mighty we are Free at last! ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

Author's note: this was a very fun experience writing this story.

this chapter is just the beginning

Chapter 1: 7 years later
“Mommy,” said a young voice. That is the voice of Malia’s little girl, Imani Hyabusa, she is now 8 years old now and just like her mother, she possesses The Lightning. “Mommy, where are we going?” Imani asked. Today was her first day in Japan, she was born in China. Malia’s now 21 years old. “Imani, today we are going to see your Aunt Kaliyah,” said Malia.
It has been approximately 7 years since Malia has used the Lightning. The Raging Black Dragon Clan has been eliminated and there was peace. “We’re here Imani,” said Malia. Malia knocks on the door and Kaliyah opens the door, she is very excited to see how big Imani has gotten since she last seen her.

“IMANI,” said Kaliyah excitedly. “AUNT KALIYAH,” Imani said in the same way. The two were very excited but as the two were getting happy, Malia asked to speak to Kaliyah in private. The two sisters put Imani inside and start to talk. “Kaliyah, I’m worried about Imani,” said Malia. She explained about how she feels Imani’s life is in danger even though there is peace. “Malia, trust me what’s the worst that could happen?” Kaliyah asked.

The day went by great. There were no problems and everything was good so far but Malia had a weird feeling. Malia and Imani arrived back to their home and Imani asked about her father. Malia never told Imani about her father, so Malia explained that her father was dead because he sacrificed his life to save the village when it was under attack 7 years ago. Imani was so sad and started to cry but Malia had pulled her close and told her that her father did it for her and the village.

Imani started to smile and Malia wiped the tears of her daughter’s face. “Imani, I will protect you even if it costs me my life, you’re my everything and I can’t live without you.” said Malia. The two got dressed and went to sleep waiting for the new day to arrive.

you will be in suspense when you read this.

It was a brand new day, Imani was sitting in the living room and she was eating her breakfast when Malia had asked Imani to come sit on the couch so she could explain some news to her. “Imani, sweetheart, I have something to tell you,” said Malia. Malia explained to Imani that she has the trait for The Lightning.

“Huh,” Imani said in confusion, she was very confused about what she heard. The Lighting is a trait that is passed down to the 2nd female child on the mother’s side. It is very powerful and can be used in different techniques such as, The Lightning Beast, The Lightning Flame. Malia possessed the Lightning and now Imani Possesses the Lightning also. “Imani, I know this is hard to soak in but eventually you will understand I will help you control it just like Kaliyah taught me also.” said Malia.

Malia decided to start Imani’s training to control The Lightning. They mainly focused on how to keep it surrounding her body to protect her, just as her mother learned, Malia taught Imani everything she knows… even summoning the a creature like the Grim Reaper. Instead, Imani wanted to summon an armored giant with a sword made out of lightning and a shield. Malia couldn’t have been more proud to see her daughter grow up to be just like her mother. “Excellent Imani, you’ve learned everything about The Lightning,” Malia said. Later that night, Imani woke up to get a drink of water and she had seen this woman in the distance. “Who are you?” Imani asked the woman. “Follow me,” the woman said. Imani began to walk away from the house and was following the woman to this mysterious house.

It was the House of Mr. and Mrs. Hyabusa. As Imani got closer she collapsed and she was in a vision where she seen two younger children. She asked for their names, the boy said his name was Han Hyabusa and the girl said her name was Suzan Hyabusa. When Imani heard those two names, she had a flashback of when Malia told her about her parents. Imani realized these were her grandparents. Then all of a sudden, time moved so fast that the two kids she met were now grown teenagers and they didn’t recognize Imani then. She watched as the two walked around the village have a good time together.

Imani heard every word they said to each other. “Suzan, I will always be here to protect you no matter what,” Han said. “Han… I never thought you cared,” said Suzan. Han leans in for a kiss but all of a sudden… an ENORMOUS explosion comes from the village. Han and Suzan sensed it and rushed to the Village. Imani decided to follow and seen the horror. The village was completely destroyed.

“My people, my village ALL destroyed!” said Han. Then out of the fog and smoke, two strange men in armor appeared along with another group of men. It was Dragon Emperor Shan with his young sister Boo and their Dragon army. Han knew he couldn’t win so he teleported Suzan and Himself to find his two children Malia and Kaliyah hiding. Han transferred The Lightning from Suzan to Malia. “Both of you get out of here NOW,” Han demanded. Malia and Kaliyah left and when they got far enough… A LOUD scream scared the two girls, it was Suzan she was killed and then a male scream… the father was killed next.
“Find them,” the Emperor said. The search began but luckily, Malia and Kaliyah escaped. Then out of nowhere, Imani woke up looking around to find her alone. She ran back to the house to wake Malia up and tell her what she had seen. Malia had told Imani all about Han and Suzan. They were the grandparents and she also told the story about her journey with Lily who is currently in Korea and Sagas who was killed in the last War. Malia didn’t mention another person she met 7 years ago… Hayden was the father of Imani but as Malia told Imani before, he was killed 7 years ago when the village was invaded.

Malia walked Imani back to the room and put her to sleep. Imani tried sleeping but she kept hearing this woman named Molly call her name telling her about a war. Molly is the spiritual aid for Imani. Molly is supposed to protect Imani under no situation. Imani kept trying to ignore the voice, but she couldn’t so Imani packed her bags and ran away from home. Imani left a note on the bed with her pink bow.

“Oh my God Imani,” Malia said the next morning. Malia ran to Kaliyah’s house and showed her the note and Kaliyah had the same reaction. “Where is she,” Kaliyah asked. Malia didn’t know either, and so the search began.

Imani had run away from the village. She left everything behind except her bag with food and supplies to survive. Imani ran away because she couldn’t accept what she had seen or what she was told. She didn’t want to believe it. She was into her 4th day away from the village, she was running low on food and she was getting scared. Out of nowhere a strange image appeared before her.

The strange image was Imani’s aide once again. She had come to inform Imani that her village was in danger and that the Dragon Emperor’s Army was closing in on the Village border. “No, I refuse to believe this is true this can’t be true.” Imani said. “You must return to the village and save your people from this threat.” The aide said.
There was a river close by, and Imani looked at herself in the water. She had seen a different person. She had seen the person she is destined to be. Yes, she is Malia’s child but she is also the person who is the protector of her village. She is the new carrier of The Lightning.
The Aide had shown her what her mother is doing at the moment. Malia is moving around trying to find her. Imani was touched by this and she starts to shed a few tears down her face, this opens her eyes and tells herself that she has to go back to the village. “This isn’t for me; it’s for my mother, my family, and my people.” Imani said. “My people need me and I’ll go back and settle this fight.” She said loudly.

The aide nods her head in agreement and she lets Imani know about the danger of this mission. “Imani,” the aide said. “My name is Molly, and this mission could be the last one you take on.” Molly explained. She informed Imani about how dangerous the Dragon Emperor, Boo, and the Dragon Army are. “How do I defeat them?” Imani asked. Then Imani looked at her hand and a spark of lightning shined. “Well, I guess it’s one against an Army full of soldiers.” Imani said to herself.
Molly then gave Imani a power blade and a new uniform to wear in battle. The uniform is resistant to heat up to 10,000 degrees, the shoes give her incredible speed, and the other garments heal all her wounds instantly. “Ok, let’s go it’s time to finish this and settle this once and for all.” Imani said. Then she ran her way back to the village.

the battle is about to start keep going.

The Dragon Emperor and the Dragon Army had arrived and set the village ablaze. The fire burned down many buildings in the village, The Army was ordered to slaughter the villagers but luckily Malia, Kaliyah, and Lily were there to fight back for a while. Lily was defeated and was taken prisoner. Malia couldn’t stand to watch the horror that was taking place. Her village and her people were all being taken away little by little.

“IMANI, WHERE ARE YOU?!” Malia screamed. The Dragon Emperor Shan along with his sister Boo and the Army had walked over to Malia and Kaliyah and demanded that they surrender. They refused so, in an act of disbelief and rage. The Emperor ordered for them to be killed but as they went in for a strike. A blade stops the attack and blows the army, Boo and the Emperor away. “Huh, so you finally decided to come out of hiding?” said the Emperor.
“Imani Hyabusa… the one we’ve been looking for.” Said Boo. Imani had shown up to the battle field, she looked around and seen the massive destruction that was brought upon her people. “Mom, are you alright?” asked Imani. “I’m fine but… where did you…I don’t understand,” Malia said. “I’m going to settle this Mom leave this to me,” Imani said to her mother.
“If you want to get to me, you’re going to get pass my Army first and my sister,” Emperor Shan said. Then, in a flash, Boo and the Army charged. Imani pulls her sword out slowly and throws a slash in the air; the slash makes a lightning cut through the air and goes deep in the middle of the army.
With the army defeated so easily, it was Boo versus Imani now. Boo was a tough girl, her specialty was fire and wind techniques. Boo unleashed several of her best moves but sadly, Imani was immune to them and she defeated Boo with no problems.
“Humph, just you and me now kid,” said Emperor Shan. Imani has her sword ready in her hand and holds a knife in the other. The time for the final battle was closing in. This will determine it all.

this is the end .

Imani and Emperor stood across from each other on the battle field and waited for one to move first. Emperor charged and Imani charged full speed. The two clashed and a huge Explosion erupted like a volcano. The battle was intense and very tiring.
Blows were being exchanged and swords and weapons were clashing but Imani wouldn’t give up no matter what. She was determined to save her village from this threat and she will do anything it takes just to save her people. Imani and the Emperor were both tired and Imani couldn’t fight anymore. The emperor found a perfect opportunity and went in for a kill. Kaliyah jumped in front of the strike and she was bleeding badly. Kaliyah was struck but she wasn’t going to die. Kaliyah falls unconscious. Imani seen a chance and she took it. She summoned the Lightning and she summoned the armored knight. The Emperor charged and the knight struck. Imani wasn’t powerful enough to finish the blow.
With Malia’s help with the power she has left, she was able to give the final blow with Imani and the Emperor was defeated. After the long and hard battle, the mother and daughter was fell asleep and when Imani woke up the next day, she got dressed and walked outside where a large crowd of the villagers were standing, cheering for the young girl who saved the village.
Malia was so proud of her daughter. She ran up and gave Imani a huge hug and Imani looked up at the sky and seen a man who smiled at her and Imani knew that her father was proud too and was happy for her.
“Father, I know you’re proud of me and I will always love you. Thank you so much for bringing me into this world. I will protect the village and mom.” Imani said with a big smile of her face.