Fixing Yoru | Teen Ink

Fixing Yoru

January 18, 2014
By Terribly., Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania
More by this author
Terribly., Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note: This is just an anime based series, nothing other than that. So basically just love for anime and writing inspired me to write this.

I was brushing my hair down it was almost touching my shoulders – but it wasn’t. It always was spikey I could never fix that, but now I managed to today. I looked at myself in the mirror over and over, hating it. I hated my hair I could never fix it. I shrugged and got up slipping out of my animal print jammies. I fixed my way into my pink polka dotted dress, it was cute. Romaru had gotten it for me, before …The accident. Also the sun hat, I put it over my blonde hair.
I slipped on my sandals and took my little purse with me as I held it over my shoulder. I looked everywhere my bed – neat my room was always clean, not a spec out of place. But it’s so lonely here, so I decided to go to the ocean today. ‘Come on, Yoru go to the ocean!’ I’d try to encourage myself, but it never happened. Because Romaru was supposed to take me to the ocean it was beautiful – it looked like the sun was setting right on it, like it was holding it in its waves, it’s all kind of blues – dark blues, light blues.

I finally turned the knob from the living-room door to enter the outside world, I walked up to the little shop up the street, where mama and Romaru used to get really sweet nectar, but I loved it more than they did. I put my two twenty five cents in the machine and took out the strawberry nectar, but as I was getting it, my eyes seamed to gaze at the body lying on the bench, it so happened to be a male. I hurried and grabbed my juice, he was half naked, and his shirt was off. I tilted my head to the right; I came just a little closer, looking at the scar on his chest. I blinked still having my head tilted to the right, this time my hat came off; I hurried and picked it up before the wind done took it away.

“Hey! Get away from my ramen!” The male shouted quite loudly, and angry, he sounded so irritated. His eyes soon shot open with such a blue filling. His eyes shined even though they were lowered, he didn’t seem as mad as he gazed his eyes over my whole body, and “What the hell are you gawking at?” he asked, sounding irritated putting his hands by his side on the bench, sitting up more. “O –“I pointed to his chest, he looked down. “Yeah that scar? Don’t you have something better to do than point that out?” He asked me, I blinked “I – I’m sorry I –“He frowned, “Why are you apologizing you’ve –“I guess he has just realized his shirt was off. “Where is it?!” He shouted hard. “Um…?” I asked him and he stared at me, “Did you take it?!” He got up accusing me, he was rather tall…. Maybe about six foot four. “Um,” I pointed behind the bench, and he looked.

“I guess you’re pretty smart there, why don’t cha sit down?” he asked sitting down grabbing his shirt, “Sit down?” I asked, “Something like that.” He said putting his shirt over his head, sounding irritated in the process. I sat down like he offered me, “So what’s your name?” He asked me as he sat down; his forearm went behind the bench and as his shoulder stood out like a sore thumb. “Oh… Um,” he interrupted me – “I’m not going to hurt you, or stalk you.” He shrugged, “Oh okay then… My name is Yoru Monakawa.” I told him, and he nodded his head. “Ah, well I’m Tamaru.” Tamaru told me and I smiled, “Nice name.” I complimented him. “What’s so nice about it?” Tamaru asked getting up putting his yen into the machine to purchase a juice.
I got up and he turned around, “What you’re leaving?” Tamaru asked me I nodded, “Why yes of course. I have to, the ocean…” I said,
“The Ocean?” Tamaru asked me, I nodded. “Yes.” I told him respectively, “Why do you want to go there?” Tamaru asked me, sucking his juice, “Well… It’s kind of personal.” Tamaru shrugged, “Ah, so you might want to do that alone.” I nodded, trying to be nice about it. “Well that’s okay, I understand. Nice meeting you Yoru.” Tamaru said shaking my hand genuinely, and walking off. I shrugged and walked on to the ocean and left Tamaru alone, he seemed so nice, he sounded so nice… His eyes shined under the sun, his whole body did actually. His skin was so perfect, too. I kept walking towards the ocean non-stop. I wasn’t stopping anymore after this, even if it was going to kill me I wasn’t going to.


I finally got to the ocean, the beautiful ocean. The ocean Romaru and I were supposed to go to so long ago. The breeze felt nice against my pale porcelain skin on my face, my eyes shut as my lips – my mouth curved into a smile, I was so happy I could come here. I turned my head and found Tamaru but then I faced the ocean again, my sun-hat flowing out to the sky, I screamed. I reached out my hands – my arms I tried catching it, I cried. I think I got Tamaru’s attention I could hear him. My knees – my legs felt so numb, my whole body felt numb. I collapsed, “No, Romaru got that for me, you can’t take it!” I cried out trying to get up – to move, but I felt so paralyzed so unstable. I cried throwing my back down on the sand.


I felt hands touch my face, it was Tamaru. “Oh my god, are you alright?” Tamaru asked me and he looked all over me, why is he being so nice to me? One eye had widened staring into his blue eyes, I soon passed out.

I get like this all the time, I get so unstable – so paralyzed, I start having episodes, I start screaming sometimes, but then my whole body gets numb, like my spine has just been ripped out of me.

+ TAMARU’S POV +

I didn’t really understand why I was so worried about her, but she seemed so unstable – so helpless. Her body was just so fragile so small; she was so short compared to me, maybe five feet and two inches tall. But yet she was so light, I put her body under my arms bridal style, her polka dotted pink dress danced in the wind as the breeze pushed and danced with her hair, I looked at her, I don’t even know where she lives, I sighed that means I’ll have to go and make someone else ramen as well, some reason I couldn’t just not help her, I had to feed her and give her a nice place to stay.

I do live alone; both my parents died, long ago – plane crash to America. I was living with my grandmother since I was eight but she died not long after, so I just took care of myself, I was twelve when she died. But in all those years she taught me everything there was to know about surviving; now I’m nineteen, and almost twenty. I walked her away from the beach, I was finally on the sidewalk and she still wasn’t up. I rolled my eyes as I kept walking; getting to my house.
Yoru’s eyes had finally begun to strike open but slowly. I stared at her, and she stared back at me. “Hey!” Yoru shouted squeaking, trying to wiggle her way out of my arms. But it wasn’t going to happen.
“Would you stop trying so hard to remove yourself from my arms?” I told her, sounding quite irritated. She moved her arms, least those weren’t paralyzed anymore. She finally had gotten out, but she was holding onto me. “S – See I can stand.” Yoru said as she let her hands go. Trying to keep her balance, but she just ended up almost falling on her backside. “You see, that’s what happens when you can’t move, just let me carry you.” Yoru shook her head no fast at me, I picked her up anyway, she bit me but all it did was tickle, but I was irritated as hell still. I didn’t say anything I didn’t feel the need to – or
The obligation, I quickly turned the knob and opened the door as I walked inside carrying her still.

+ YORU’S POV +

I soon was under a bright light over my head I looked up at Tamaru as he was still carrying me he carried me over to the table in the dining room. It was a big room it was super cute too, I looked at him. “I think you can put me down now, Tamaru.” I smiled, and he just looked at me, shrugging, he kneeled down putting me down carefully. I respect his kindness, he’s so kind… But he doesn’t smile…. Why not?

Tamaru sat down in front of me and stared. “So Yoru…” Tamaru said and I just stared at him continuously. “Yes?” I asked him, “Do you like Ramen?” Tamaru asked kindly. “Yes, I do I –“he got up and walked over into the kitchen, “Good.” He said grabbing some Ramen and putting it on the counter. He soon got a medium sized black pot and ran hot water into it. I smiled.


Tamaru soon had that pot filled up, and put it on the stove and came back to sit down.
“So Tamaru, where’s your parents?” I asked him, wiggling my feet under the table, “Oh they went across country to go to a very important business trip.” He said scratching his head, he looked so exhausted. “So, who do you live with?” He asked me, I smiled. “My older brother, but he’s out of town …” I sighed, “Ah I’m sorry. I’m sure you miss him.” He smiled kindly, “You smiled?” I said, out loud then put my hand to my mouth. “Huh?” He asked, “It’s nothing I –“
-
5 -
“Oh water’s boiling, I can hear it,” Tamaru said getting up getting into the kitchen.
“So why did you decide to go to the ocean, anyways?” he asked, putting the ramen into the pot putting the timer on for five minutes. “Well my brother always promised he’d take me to a beach, this very beach.” I smiled playing with my hands.

“So I see.” Tamaru smiled and came and sat back down in front of me, he just stared at me while he was sitting Indian style, I just smiled continuously, “How can you keep smiling like that?” Tamaru asked narrowing his eyebrows kind of glaring almost. “Well, that’s what my brother told me to do before he left town…” Tamaru frowned, “So he abandoned you?”
“I guess you could say that.” I replied, and smiled. He finally went up and got the ramen off the stove, and put it into two bowls. And put chopsticks inside with a fork. He put one bowl down in front of me.
“Well dig in.” Tamaru said grabbing his chopsticks, I blinked. And just ate, “What’s his phone number, do you remember it?” Tamaru asked me getting his cell phone ready. “I – I can’t call him, Tamaru.” Tamaru frowned, “Of course you can!” Tamaru kept laughing, “No I – I can’t I-“Tamaru just kept smiling, “Yes you can you –“I frowned getting up. “NO, I can’t ever call him again Tamaru! Because he’s dead! He’s never coming back!” I shouted at him running upstairs I didn’t even care what room I ran into at the time, I ran into one jumped onto the bed and laid on my stomach crying while my forearms were up by my eyes.
I soon heard a knock at the door even though it was open, “Yoru I –“I heard Tamaru sigh, “I didn’t know I –“I frowned, “I thought if… If I could just smile and bare it, that it would all be okay, but death – death is never okay. Death is a cruel thing, I hate death.” I cried harder, I heard footsteps coming up, “Yoru.” Tamaru said and I smiled gently.









I slowly picked up my head, but I didn’t stare at him – I couldn’t stare at him, I just kept looking at the blanket it was blue and soft …It reminded me of Tamaru’s eyes. Blue and soft… “Y – Yoru,” Tamaru said softly, “I – I’m really sorry…I –“I looked at him, finally. For some reason he looked so sad – so lost… It’s like I wanted to apologize.
“Tamaru I –“Tamaru interrupted me.

“Yoru, I’m really sorry for bringing that up, I really didn’t mean to.” I wanted to hug him, he was so sad… He put his hand on his face, “Tamaru don’t apologize please, you were just trying to help I should have understood that… I didn’t need to blow up like that… I –“Tamaru smiled taking his hand down slowly from his face, and bent down and put his hands on his knees.

“How about you take a shower and I’ll make some strawberry cheesecake for dessert.” I blinked and stared at him… I wanted to ask why he was being so nice to me for, but now I think he’s trying to make it up to me. Tamaru just kept smiling, I smiled a little. “Okay…” I smiled and got up all wobbly and fell onto him on accident.

“I – sorry,” I blink and he picked me up and put me into the bathroom and sat me on the toilet seat. “I have a mother who wears your size clothing; I’ll get some for you.” He said and he swung up and I finally realized he had this necklace… My head started to hurt again, - as soon as I try to keep remembering my past… It hurts, it always hurts me. I took off my shirt and pants; I was now in my underwear.

I stood up and got over to the tub, and moved the shower glass door and blinked I tried turning the knob to turn on the hot water, and it turned on I turned the cold knob and now it was warm. I finally took off my bra and panties and stepped in and shut the door.

I heard the door knob turn on the bathroom door, “Don’t worry, I can’t see you.” Tamaru said assuring me, he came in. “I put them on the counter okay, Yoru?” Tamaru asked me, “Okay.” I smiled, he turned the knob and opened the door and left and shut the door behind him. It felt so nice in here, so calm… I dunked my whole head the water and let my face meet with the warm water. It felt so nice.

I’ve had multiple baths all the time – I take showers every day and it never felt this good. I put my head out from under the water, and stared at the wall. I looked up to look for shampoo it was Strawberry – I like strawberry. And now that I’ve realized his bathroom smells like oranges. I like the smell; I took the wash cloth and stood up.

I lathered the wash cloth with mint body wash that I found by the shampoo, it was all white inside of here, the shower head was silver and the faucet was silver too, I washed my body from head to toe and took the strawberry shampoo and opened the pink bottle with the green lid and put some into my hand and merged my hands in with my hair.

I massaged my scalp for what felt like a minute and stopped and washed my hair and body off, I shot the showerhead off, and drained the tub. I stepped out, I took the red towel off the white towel rack and wrapped it around myself and took the other towel and put it around my head, I smelt so good – I smelt good before but I smell even better. I hugged myself; I was so soft and warm. But wet too… I smiled I just washed my bra today so it’s not at all dirty.

I picked up my lime green bra and put it on; I put on nightgown and socks he had put out for me that was his mothers, it went all the way down to my knees, and I smiled and turned the knob on the bathroom door and opened it and walked out and went straight into a room, I didn’t really notice where I was going… So I just sat down on the bedside and thought for a while, I got up and looked over at the desk on the other side of the room and wrote down a quick letter.

I was a bothersome, I knew I was and I was putting him out, I couldn’t do that so… I have to leave, I pushed the chair back than sat on it, I grabbed a number two pencil and a lined piece of paper and wrote down my note;

“Dear Tamaru, sorry I left I just couldn’t stay here anymore, you being so nice to me… And all, you probably don’t mean it anyway, so I’ll go, I’m really sorry for being such a burden towards you, putting you out and all… I won’t anymore I really hope you can forgive me though – Thank you for everything it was all too good, once again, thank you,

Yoru.”

I got up and cried a little a couple tear drops went onto the paper; I went over to the door and turned the knob, I looked both ways. I tiptoed downstairs, and saw him sleeping on the couch I went in the kitchen and out the backdoor and shut the door quietly; I opened the gate’s white door and then shut it and walked off.

TAMARU’S POV –

I finally opened my eyes and got up what’s taking Yoru so long? I stretched and yawned at the same time, “Well might as well go see if she’s okay.” I went toward the bottom of the steps and held onto the railing and walked forward, I found an open door – it was my room. I opened it up more with a push of my palm and saw nothing but a piece of paper on my desk. I walked over to it and picked it up, I seen two teardrops at the very top.

I read it over and over again, why did she run off? I was just trying to make her feel more at home, know what? Fine, if she wants to run off, fine! I went over to my bed, the cheesecake was already in the refrigerator anyhow so I lied down on my bed for a while, I stared at my ceiling fan, I was kind of confused but then put my forearm over my eyes and finally went to bed.

The next morning I felt so bent out of shape, I looked around me, “Well Yoru’s gone.” I shrugged, and got up and went over to my opened door and went out into the hallway and went down the stairs that leads into the living room; I sat on the couch… I felt kind of guilty, like I had to go look for her. Then I shook it off, and got into the kitchen and got into the refrigerator and took out the cheesecake and put it on the counter.

I opened the drawer and got a knife out and cut the cheesecake, and took out a big piece, and put the cheesecake back, I went in the drawer again to fetch a spoon, I grabbed one and shut the drawer with my hip and went over by the table, I sort of slouched. Why am I slouching? I never slouch, unless… I’m really sad about something.

I dug into the cheesecake with my spoon; furiously. How could she just leave me like that? I sighed hard, and inhaled. “Well best go find her.” I sighed getting up putting my hand in my pocket fixing my hair with my other hand; my index and thumb, I walked over towards the door opened it and walked onto the porch.

I don’t even know where to look to find, Yoru. I started walking down the street, and I looked around every crack every corner, I frowned. I didn’t find her anywhere there.
“Yoru!” I shouted, about five times, once at; where we met, in the middle of the street, at the beach, in the park. Now I started knocking on doors.

“Hello is there anyone here named Yoru?” I asked, the woman just gazed at me with her green eyes, “No I’m sorry.” She said, I frowned, “Well thanks anyway ma’am.” I said waving bye. Yoru, where are you damn it. I knocked on the next door, but just ended up getting ‘no’s’ I sighed and put my back on the edge of the wall. I started sweating; I wipe the sweat off my forehead and continue on searching.

By now, I’ve walked up hills I’ve walked more than five blocks, passed four stores, and still nothing. I finally drag my exhausted body up this hill and up to this door, ‘304’ was the numbers on it. “Yoru, I sure hope this is your place.” I sighed hoping. I knocked on the door and it just swung open, “Well that’s real nice.” I sighed in irritation. I walked in and found an Arial stair case, a gap for a doorway that leads into the kitchen and a wonderful living room.



-
Page 9 -
I heard footsteps coming from upstairs and she finally came down to the last staircase step, she was wiping her right eye. “I was looking all over for you!” I shouted and she jumped, she started hitting me. “Ouch, okay. Okay! I’m sorry.” I sighed, pushing her hands off me. “Oh it’s you.” She said to me, backing off. She shrugged. “Yeah sorry I left.”
She put her eyes down to the ground as she said softly.
“It’s fine; I was just a little worried was all. You didn’t really tell me where you lived or anything so… I thought I’d ask what was wrong.” She just stared at me then looked back down. “Why are you so worried…? T – That’s why I left, you’re too nice to me, and we’ve just met… Why?” She sighed. “To be honest, I don’t really know either.” I said taking my hand out of my pocket.
She just stared at me, with no expression. “Mind if I stay here?” I asked her, “Stay here?” she asked me, “Yeah. I mean you need someone to help you every-time you think of your brother, you start to collapse, and stuff. And I could help around the house and everything.” I told her nicely, “Besides you look sort of lonely…” It looked as if she was thinking but then her lips formed a smile. A smile so big it ended with dimples.
“Well um, if you want to,” She grinned again, “Well considering it is late we might want to get some sleep.” I shrugged, she shrugged too and we walked up stairs. “I’m going to go take a shower.” I shrugged again, “Oh… Well I guess you could wear my dad’s clothes.” I took off my jacket and stumbled into the room Yoru said was his. And I took a light blue shirt from the brown drawer and shorts, and walked to the bathroom.
I finally got inside and shut the door, and open the glass door and turned on the hot and cold water, and stripped naked and got inside. I stood in there for quite some time then finally realized the shampoo and conditioner on the shelf and took the blue shampoo bottle and squirted some into my hand and put it in my hair and washed my hair from the stench of sweat. I washed it out then finally put in the conditioner.
-
Page 10 -
I looked over and found body-wash and poured that into a pouf and washed myself, and rinsed the conditioner from my head and body-wash from my body and stepped out of the shower and put the towel around my waist. I turned around just to be reminded of my scar…. I shrugged it off and threw my shirt over my head and then dropped the towel and put the shorts on.

I walked out of the bathroom and into Yoru’s room, just in-case she had another episode… I went up to her bed and lowered my eyes to look at the floor, I found a made bed for me. I sort of smiled, and lied down. I thought for a bit with my forearm over my forehead, as I gazed into the hypnotizing ceiling fan, I soon fell asleep.
A couple hours later I woke up; it was three o’ clock in the morning. I heard Yoru going off again, I got up and opened one eye and squinted the other as my hair hung over my face. I looked at Yoru, I moved some blankets over and got in bed and wrapped my arms around her and cuddled her until she’d calm down. “Shhh, Yoru it’s alright.” I kept telling her. “Don’t leave me!” She shouted loudly. “I won’t leave you.” I whispered.
YORU’S POV+
I woke up at six o’ clock; I look over and found Tamaru not there on the bed or on the floor, I push the covers off of me and got up and walked to the door and opened it. And then went downstairs I smelled food. It smells really good too. I went into the kitchen, everything was cooking. Eggs, miso soup, rice, and Nori was on the side. What a breakfast.
“Oh hey Yoru,” Tamaru said, “Go sit down I’ll bring it to you.” I blinked and went to go sit down, I was in an oversized sweater, and socks on. And I had my hair up in a side ponytail. I saw Tamaru come from the kitchen, and put a couple of bowls on the table, and I went over and sat at the table, and there sat chopsticks.

-
Page 11
-
I picked them up but they slipped, he just kept eating away until he finally realized. “You can’t use chopsticks? You’re Japanese!” Tamaru chuckled. “Yeah well, I never learned.” I sighed, he smiled. “Well hmm, first you take your thumb and your index finger; you put the chopsticks between them, and then you just put them in your bowl and eat.

I tried, just like he instructed but they just ended up falling out of my hands all over again, I sighed hard. Tamaru took my hand in his and showed me, and then fed me like that. He let go of my hands and they just fell out again. I put my hands on my cheeks.
“That was very yummy.” I smiled. “Do you just want to use a spoon?” Tamaru laughed.

“Yes.” I said getting up Tamaru put me right back down by pushing my shoulder down and he got up, “I’ll do it.” Tamaru smiled getting me a spoon, why still… Why is he so nice to me, I just don’t understand. He came back and gave me the spoon. “So are you able to call your mom?” He asked me, I played with the food. “Not really…” I smiled into the food.

“Why not,” Tamaru asked scarfing down his food. “Well… Because, she doesn’t want anything to do with me so, I just can’t.” I shrugged eating more. “That’s a load of bullshit, I mean come on, and you have to call her. Maybe she misses you, maybe she regrets that.” He got inside my pocket – “HEY NOW.” I growled, “Shush.” He took my phone, “What’s her number?” I growled taking it back and going to contacts and under my mom’s name.

“So where is she now?” Tamaru asked, “America.” I smiled; he looked at me shocked, “America?” Tamaru asked leaning in closer, “Yeah, apparently she’s a C.E.O at this big working company in a state they call Californa I –“Tamaru smiled, “California.” He corrected me. “How do you know its pronounced California?” I asked, “Well my dad took me there almost every summer.”
“What made him stop taking you?” I asked, then my eyes widened. “Oh sorry, you probably don’t want to share that.” I looked back in my bowl and ate faster. I could see him smile though, “No, it is okay. I’ll tell you.” I picked my head back up wanting to listen.

“It all started when I was about six, my dad wanted to spend some-time with me at California, and thought it would be good to get out of the country. My dad’s a big business person who works in Tokyo. So in California we went to waterparks tried new foods everything, it was amazing…. It felt as if it were a dream.”

My eyes grew larger as I listened. “But California isn’t all that great, you have your pollution and people staring at you like you’ve done something wrong. But it all stopped when I was twelve, I finally figured out why we were going to California, my dad made this business plan… But apparently, the plan didn’t go out to well; she was the vice President of the company she worked at, on the up and up and everything. Apparently my dad wasn’t.”


I frowned, “So no more California for me, but to be honest. It was great to be in America, but to be honest I’ve always wanted to visit this other state people keep saying that their government lives off of, I think it’s called Pen-Pennsylvania.” I shrugged. “I’d like to go there.” I smiled, “Well maybe one day you’ll be able to!” I smiled, Tamaru smiled more. “So what made your mom move to California?” Tamaru asked scarfing more food down his throat.

“Well apparently, she didn’t want anything to do with my dad brother or even me. I was five at the time. But that’s when I realized my dad walked out on me when I was only three. Then my mom left all the sudden, she said to my brother Romaru that she wanted to leave to California. But didn’t want the responsibility to put up with a five year old and a ten year old,”

“He was ten?” Tamaru asked, “Yeah he was ten but he still took care of me. He always promised me, that he’d take me to the ocean like I’ve always asked… But we didn’t. And before we could get the chance… He died, that’s what everyone’s always had told me anyway I –“ Tamaru frowned, “You can’t always believe what people tell you, sometimes that’s how people die, for all you know he could be alive.” I shrugged, “Even the news said it though I –“Tamaru smiled. “You won’t believe what people would say and or do for money.”

I frowned, “But why would they lie I –“Tamaru smiled, “It’s this thing called money, and another thing called greed, and another thing called power and want. People will do anything for money and for power over people, to make them believe what they want them to believe. They said that about my twin sister and she’s in California now.” I frowned, “You have a twin sister!” I shouted he opened his eyes, “Yea?” Tamaru asked, smiling.

“What’s her name?” I asked him, “Tamari, NO not soy sauce.” Tamaru stated, “Now about that phone call.” He pressed the call button and put the phone to his ear, I just kept eating but I know someone answered – I could hear it. I smiled, “Hello?” I heard a woman voice on the other line. So she didn’t change her number, after all this time… I smiled while I had the spoon in my mouth.

“Hello is this Yoru’s mother?” Tamaru asked her, and I watched him as he spoke, “Her name is; Yona Monakawa.” I whispered to him, “Yona Monakawa.” I could hear anger in her voice as she said; “I don’t want anything to do with that brat Yoru, she’s nothing but selfish and greedy, that little b**** deserves to be alone!” She hung up and Tamaru took the phone from his ear, and hit end.

I just sat there quietly…. Tears rolling from my eyes down to my collarbones, the salty tears started to burn, so I wiped them away with the back of my hand. Tamaru turned to me “Y – You heard what she said… Didn’t you?” Tamaru asked, I nodded, “Here I – I’ll call her back….” Tamaru called her back… She answered, to just shout at him again.

Tamaru doesn’t deserve to be yelled at…. “It’s her fault why Romaru’s gone; it’s her fault why she was born, why her father left me! All she cares is for her! No one else, you’re wasting your time with her, I know you’re with her. You called me from her phone, just lose my number, because I’m not changing it. I hate that brat! All she is… is…just… Ugh!” She hung up the phone.
-
Page 14 -
Tears snuck under my hands, and rolled down to my chest. Tamaru dropped the phone on the table, and hugged me. “Shhh, Yoru. It’s alright.” Tamaru smiled, “N – No it’s not alright, how? I’m her daughter! How could she do this to me…I don’t understand, I thought mothers were supposed to love their children no matter what!”
“I know… They are, but some mothers… are just… Brutal and cruel,” Tamaru said squinting his eyes, I could hear him crying. “Don’t cry, Tamaru I –“I looked up at him, “Why not? You’re crying.” He said in anger, as he looked me right in my eyes. I know he wasn’t mad at me, he was mad at my mother.
“I know I’m crying but… You don’t need to it’s alright I –“Tamaru stopped hugging me, he leaned closer. “How can it be alright? It’s not alright! Your mother treats you like s***; you’re not all those things she described! You’re better then all those things, you’re smart, you’re awesome, and you’re amazing. You’re inspirational. Hell you even gave me the will to smile again. All because of you, I smile now. Things don’t look bleak anymore because of you!”
I just stared at him, I stayed silent. He took a step back wiping his tears from the corner of his eyes, “I – I’m sorry.” Tamaru looked away. I jumped and hugged him, “Thank you, Tamaru.” Tamaru barely hugged me back but he did he patted my back too, “Why are you thanking me?” Tamaru chuckled but still sounded sad.
“Because, you’re the first person to ever say that to me, in eleven years.” I smiled, “Eleven?” he asked, “Yes Eleven. You’re so nice to me, and I don’t even know why but it makes me feel better. When you’re around I just think about you know?” Tamaru gently pushed me back, “Hey how about some ice cream?” He asked, wiping my tears.
“Sounds good,” I smiled, he smiled back and we both sat up. It was about twelve and he took a shower first then I got in. We looked pretty nice, just for some ice cream.
“Hold on, I want to put my hair up.” I said, and I opened my bedroom door, and went to my mirror. And put my hair up like I wanted.
-
Page 15 -

We walked down the street and passed up the place we met, “Hey wait how about a juice?” Tamaru suggested, I smiled, “Only if you’re paying.” I giggled, “Of course I will.” Tamaru went to the machine and kneeled down, “What’s your favorite?” He asked, “Um…. I’ll have to go with, Peaches.” I smiled. He pressed the rectangular sign that had peaches on it. And took out the kind he likes; Strawberry.
Tamaru passed me mine and I put the straw inside, well at least I tried. “Here give me it.” He took it, and he pressed the straw threw it and bent it. Just how I like my straws! Bent, “You know… I wish I had another sun hat.” Tamaru stared at me, “Sunhat?” Tamaru asked, “Yeah just like the one Romaru bought for me. That would be lovely.” I said, and we were almost by the park.
I kept walking and almost got hit by a car. “Yoru,” Tamaru shouted, pulling me back by taking the back of my dress and pulling backward. “Watch where you’re going, you could’ve died!” Tamaru said… He sounded so worried… Well I guess I would too if he almost got ran over. We both smiled, and we kept walking towards the park.
We finally approached the gate of the park, where I opened the door and we both got inside, we saw kids playing, a couple playgrounds and even couples on benches holding hands and cuddling. I tried to eye the ice cream parlor. “Over here.” Tamaru already said pointing. We finally went over to the ice cream parlor… His hands are always in his pockets…. I wonder why that is.
“Hello how may I help you two?” He said smiling; he looked a bit older than Tamaru. He had black hair and green eyes, a bit tanner skin. “Vanilla Chocolate swirl for me,” I told him and he nodded, “Vanilla for me.” Tamaru smiled. And he finally got the ice cream; I’ve finally realized his name. ‘Mark’ well at least that’s what his name tag said.
“Thank you, Mark.” I told him and he smiled. “Yeah thanks Mark.” Tamaru said too, and we both walked off, walking down a trail and seeing waterfalls and flowers… But then my head started hurting, I put my fingers to my temples, “What’s the matter, brain free –“I started crying, and I fell. “Oh my God,” Tamaru kneeled down, and held me up.
Tamaru’s POV +

It’s been at least a week…. Not since she collapsed like that all over again, but I’ve only known her for a week… And I’m so nice to her. Why is that, I guess… It’s just the right thing to do, I suppose. It’s been four days since the accident… I left her alone for a couple hours like she had requested..... Mom would have wanted me to take care of her I know she’d want me to….


I got up and walked towards the door that belonged to her room, and opened up, and saw her sleeping, I sat down on the chair next to her bed. I looked at her, “Yoru… Please get better soon…” I sighed, and Yoru shot her eyes open and stared at me, “Oh so you’re awake… Morning sleeping beauty,” I smiled. “Morning, Tamaru.” Yoru smiled back at me, pushing her body to sit up.

“Hey, let me help –“she interrupted me, “No I can do it. I know you’re not going to be around for me forever, so I have to start doing things on my own…” She said smiling even though she sounded so sad when she said it. I smiled. “Yoru, I told you I’m not going anywhere. So just relax.” I smiled ruffling her hair.

“Yeah but still though, what if one day… You do have to leave me, and then…. I’ll just depend on you to come back and help me I –“I frowned, “Yoru, stop talking like that… So do you think I should call a doctor, I’m pretty sure you need one and –“She frowned. “You know better than I do that no doctor can fix this problem…. It’s just something I’ll have to conquer on my own.

“I suppose…” I growled, “What do you want for dinner?” I asked, “Do we have anymore Miso Soup left over?” Yoru asked, “Yeah, a lot more actually.” She smiled big, “I would like that.” She replied to me, I smiled. I walked away, and went downstairs; I poured some Miso soup in the bowl and threw it in the microwave. I crossed my arms and leaned against the counter, I shut my eyes for a second….

-
Page 17 -
I heard a thud, Yoru?! I ran over to the steps and found Yoru on the stairs, I frowned. “Yoru,” I shouted and walked up the rest of the stairs, I kneeled down next to her, and put my hands on her back to turn her around, “Yoru, are you alright?” I asked her and she smiled, at me. “I’m fine.” She replied, “No you’re not. Why didn’t you stay in bed?”
“Well because, I thought I didn’t want to be a burden.” I lowered my eyes and smiled as I sat her up, “Yoru you’re not a burden, alright?” I sat down on a step in front of her, “Jump on my back.” I smiled as I felt her jump on, and I held her legs tight, and she wrapped her arms around my neck tightly and I got up and ran downstairs with her into the dining room.
I sat down in front of the table and took her off my back and her arms slid down, “Come on Yoru, let go.” I chuckled, “But I’m cold.” She cried, I smiled, “I’ll get you a blanket.” I felt her let go and turn around to face the table, and I got up and went to go get her a blanket. I looked in the kitchen first to see if it was done. It wasn’t boiling or anything.
I went in the wall closet and found a big gray blanket, and took it out of the closet and walked into the dining room and covered her up with it. Her head popped out. “Thank you, now I’m all toasty.” She smiled; I smiled right back at her. “Now don’t leave this table, promise?” I asked her, she nodded. “I promise.” I smiled. “Good.” I went back into the kitchen and leaned on the other side of the wall.
About ten minutes later I heard it boiling and opened my eyes and got a spoon and poured some into her bowl and took a spoon from the drawer, and took the bowl and put it in front of her, “Might want to –“ She took some but got burnt. “Yoru, you forgot to wait or at least blow on it. It’s hot, going to go get you some milk okay?” Yoru nodded as she was trying to cool down her tongue.
I got into the refrigerator and took out a little glass bottle of milk, and went back into the dining room and opened it for her. “There you go, Yoru.” She took it and drank almost half of it. “Thirsty much,” I laughed. “Actually, yes I was.” She smirked about it. “I bet.” I turned on the TV and switched to the news.
YORU’S POV+
I ate more of the Miso soup, “Wait… Tamaru aren’t you hungry too?” He turned his head to me, “What? No. I’m not.” Tamaru shrugged. “Don’t give me that, you have to eat too, or I’m not eating anymore.” I growled, and then I heard my stomach growl, “Eat Yoru.” I frowned, looking away. “Yoru…” He kind of growled. “No.” I opened an eye and looked at him.
I sat his hand on his temple and his head just hanging there, looking at me with an irritated expression. “Yoru, I’m not going to argue. Eat.” I frowned, I got up and kind of stumbled, but I soon found balance. And I walked to the kitchen and held onto the wall. I could hear him get up, and hold me. “Tamaru, eat. Please. I can’t eat in front of people, I’ll feel bad.” Tamaru frowned.
He put his hands on my shoulders and put his face in my face. And just stared at me, “Fine do whatever you want, I won’t make you do anything…” He let go of me. I blinked, “Really?!” I squeaked happily, “Yep.” I soon found his hands tickling me. “Hey stop it!” I giggled, “Nope, not until you eat.” Tamaru argued. “You said you wouldn’t make me anymore.” I giggled as he tickled me faster.
I soon fell over and he just kneeled more just to tickle me faster. “Okay, okay… I’ll eat.” Tamaru stopped tickling me. And I smiled. “Thank you, I was about to –“I ran upstairs. “Yoru!” I heard him shout, I just laughed. I went into my room, and I heard footsteps and he opened my room door.
“Yoru, fine I’ll eat too.” I jumped out and hugged him. We walked downstairs and he had ordered something. Pizza, “I know you just can’t eat Miso soup all day so you’re going to eat some too, maybe I’ll make riceballs, too.” He smiled at me. “I love riceballs….” I mumbled. “Then Riceballs, Pizza, and Miso soup it is.” I blinked.

-
Page 19 -
“That’s a lot of food…” I smiled. “Well you could use some meat on your bones.” I frowned; I went over and lifted his shirt. “Well looks like you need some too!” I shouted, “Hey!” I heard him say while I was shouting. “For your information, this is lean muscle, and if you’re done looking at my chest, I’d like my shirt down now.”

I pushed his shirt back down. “And I don’t want to hear stories on the TV I want to hear your history…” I smiled. “M – My history…” he sighed. I nodded. Tamaru kind of looked sad. “Oh… I’m sorry. I’ll tell you my past if you’d like.” He looked at me, nodded and smiled.
“Tell me about Romaru.” I blinked… “Okay…” I smiled.

“Romaru was this awesome guy, anyone could practically get along with him, and you just weren’t allowed to hit me, or insult me or him. And if you did, he’d beat you up for it. When I was about ten, he was fifteen. We were walking one day. Then we got kidnapped by four elder men, probably in their thirties.” Tamaru’s eyes widened.

“W – What happened when you got kidnapped?” Tamaru asked. I shrugged, “T-They um… u-m….” I couldn’t help but stutter. “They –“I punched the table to get to the punch line. “They beat me, and mostly Romaru for talking back to them.” I wiped my eyes from the water spilling. “Yoru, if this is going to make you upset you don’t have to –“I frowned, “No this is the first time I’ve shared my past with anyone…” I smiled.

“So a couple weeks later I –“Tamaru stopped me, “Wait didn’t the police – weren’t they involved? Didn’t they put on a search party?” asked me, “No. No one actually wanted to search for us, considering no parents and no one actually ever cared, so we never really got found, but… We were in the basement, and they were pretty… Dumb I mean… We weren’t even chained or tied up, there was a window.” Tamaru smiled.

“Romaru opened the window and put my feet on my shoulders, and pushed me through, I told him I wasn’t going without him, and it was raining. He told me to go and to never look back. He pushed me out by force. And I was on the grass. I turned back…”
Tamaru frowned, “He told me to take care of myself, to never lose hope.”

“So… I just left.” I cried harder. “I didn’t want to; I swear I didn’t want to. I tried so hard to go. I’d fall and stumble it was raining, I’d even slip and fall.” I sighed. “Well….” I shrugged, “That was it… That’s all I remember.” I still till this very day think that it’s my fault.” Tamaru shook his head no. “It’s not your fault; he wanted you to live on. I –“My eyes were swelled with so many tears….

“Yes it is my fault, Tamaru! I’m the one that left him, I could help him! But I didn’t even try. I’m such… a bad person. Mom’s right I am a b –. I can’t even say it! I’m a rotten person…” I started putting my fingers into my forearms and started scratching up and down. I saw Tamaru run toward me, and take my fingers out of my forearms.

“No, let me!” I shouted. We heard the doorbell, “I’ll get it.” Tamaru said he got up, and opened the door. “Your three boxes of pizza, and –“I turned and he looked inside. “Damn nice, body baby” Tamaru lifted his eye brow. “Excuse me?” Tamaru asked. “Nah not you her,” I frowned. “Me?” I asked, “Yeah baby, you got the –“Tamaru put his fist into his jaw, and knocked him flat on his backside. “Just for that comment, we’re not paying.” He shut the door and returned back to the table.

He got up though again and locked the door, and came back to sit down. He opened the pizza box lid. “Wait, don’t touch it.” Tamaru got up and I could see him get some plates, I took the pizza and left it on my hands. It burned but I didn’t care, Tamaru smiled running back but then he just frowned. He put the plates on the table took the pizza off my hands.

Tamaru took my hands into his. “Gah, your hands are so red.” He sighed, “Hold it by the crust.” I frowned, “Okay…” He stared at me, “You should smile more…” I smiled, “Well okay…” I smiled. And took it by the crust and ate it, and he took some and ate some. “Oh that’s good.” He took another piece and ate that one too. “Hungry much” I asked,

“Yeah well… It’s good.” He kept eating. I pulled up his shirt again, “You’re not even gaining anything!” I shouted, “Hey!” He muffled through the pizza. I ate some more too. We smiled. About a couple hours later we were stuffed. And we haven’t even started the second box.

“Well, time for bed.” He threw out one of the boxes and put the rest in the refrigerator. He came back to me, and put me on his back. “Oh I’m just too tired, to hold on.” I sighed; he turned around and put me over his shoulder. We got into my room, “Just sleep in that.” I sighed, and changed. “Hey not in front of me, I’m a girl!” I shouted.

“Yeah well, I don’t care anymore.” He shrugged; he slept in nothing but shorts. I went under the blanket. “Why are you going under there, you can suffocate yourself that way you know….” Tamaru said.

I wonder what will happen next… On our journey…



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.