The Journey | Teen Ink

The Journey

By Dovahkiin326, Buffalo, New York
Dovahkiin326, Buffalo, New York

Like a Bauss

Author's note: What inspired me to write this story was the fact that I am very interested in medieval and fantasy video games. So it inspired me to right a story of my own. Which led me to The Journey.

Upon waking this morning, I thought it would be any other morning, eggs, bacon, and fresh juice from our orange tree. But instead, thought Merrin, I found a bag with an assortment of items including a dull, beat up sword. As he waded through the sea of chickens leading to the front gate of his family's cottage, he contemplated how he was to go on with this situation.
Merrin was a person who was considered to be small, but for what he lacked in height, he made up for in strength. He got his hair from his father, long, and dark, worn in a pony tail. He also has his mother’s eyes, striking blue, with a glint of mischief.
Merrin read the crumpled note he found on his cottage table. It read; “Son, we are leaving. As should you, so we left supplies for you under this note. Also, our family has deep, dark secrets you couldn't possibly imagine. You may not want to know what they are, but if you do, visit the Great Oracle atop of Mount Athrius. (Be warned, the roads are treacherous, and littered with monsters and bandits).” Merrin crumpled the note and shoved it into his tunic pocket. Along with supplies, his parent's left him a red travel tunic and a black cloak. After reading that for the second time, Merrin set off for Mount Athrius, a mountain all the way across the land Kavttuum.

city of Paron. The guard wore the traditional symbol of Paron, a blazing spear.
The guard lowered his pike in front of Merrin as he tried to pass the guard by."Let me through!" Merrin demanded.
"No," the guard replied, "You must pay the toll."
"What toll?" Merrin questioned, "There wasn't a toll before."
"There's a toll now, so pay up!" ordered the guard.
Merrin suspected that this so-called guard is a bandit from his father’s note, so he casually took his bag off of his back, and took out his pouch of gold coins and threw it in the bandit’s face.
Merrin then drew his sword, and challenged, "Hey guard, if you’re so tough, then take me on!" With those words of encouragement, the guard tossed down his pike, and drew his own blade, a fine blade with a smooth surface. Considering it gleamed like a jewel, he assumed that the blade had never been used. Merrin cursed under his breath, he had expected the guard to be dumb enough to keep his pike. If the guard had, he could easily have taken him down at close range.
Despite of this challenge, Merrin charged the guard. It was a long battle, and hardly legendary, but he was proud of it nonetheless. After Merrin charged, he and the guard clashed swords, both of them struggled to overpower the other, but it was very closely matched. This guard obviously had been training with swords all his life, and all Merrin had for sword practice was the occasional quick lesson in swordplay. The bandit quickly broke out of the clash and sliced in an overhand cut. Merrin quickly danced back and returned with a thrust. The blade cut through the bandit’s leather armor and went out the other side of his torso. When Merrin withdrew his sword from the man's chest, it made a sickening sucking sound, and the bandit fell to the ground, shivering. Not being able to stand the sight of a person in agony, Merrin turned around and walked away. But Merrin stole a quick glance back and immediately regretted it. When he saw the look of agony on that man’s face, it was enough to make him double over on the ground and lose the contents of his stomach. When his convulsions stopped, he continued on his way. However, he would always have that man’s look of agony haunt him.

After walking for quite some time, and approaching the town that is a ways a way from Paron, named Mortys, Merrin decided that he would need rest. So he walked until he found the safety of some trees near the town. He then laid down for what seemed like hours, but was only mere minutes, and finally fell asleep. When Merrin awoke, he realized that it was midday. He then saw a shadow sprint past the trees he was laying under, and turn the corner leading to the city. Out of curiosity, Merrin followed the figure around the corner. He searched the crowd of people for anyone that at least looked similar to the figure, but the figure had simply vanished! Confused by this, Merrin walks around the town in search of the figure while also taking in his surroundings. The town was an average size, but filled with many alleyways leading to other parts of the town. While analyzing the town, he saw a person go into what appeared to be a clothing store. Then it hit him, literally. The figure ran out of the store, and crashed into him. Merrin fell to the ground and hit his head on the cobblestone.
When he came to, he found that he was on a table with a blurry figure in front of him, tending to his wound. The figure looked around Merrin’s age, 18 or 19 years old, and had wild blond hair and bright green eyes he was incredibly small, smaller than Merrin. His face was defined, but very gentle looking. With difficulty, Merrin managed to mumble “What’s your name?”
“Tarrík,” The man said, still tending to Merrin’s wounds.
Now knowing who the figure was, Merrin passed out. When he awoke again, he found that there was a girl tending to him now. Merrin took this opportunity to study her. She was only a year or two younger than him, with fair blonde hair and wonderful blue eyes, and she was an average height person. Merrin also realized that instead of lying on a table, he was now lying on a comfortable bed. He now felt rejuvenated. He tried to sit up, but the girl pushed him back down. “You must stay down.”
Even though Merrin tried many times to spark up a conversation, she was still quiet. He did manage however, to get her name, Katherine. Around an hour later, Katherine came back and seemed more talkative. “How are you doing?” she asked.
“Well enough.” Merrin answered.
“How is your head feeling?” Katherine said with a hint of concern in her voice.
“Good, it feels much better now that it isn’t split.” Merrin said a bit sarcastically.
Katherine didn’t seem to notice. “Considering you know my name, what is yours?” Katherine asked.
“My name is Merrin Pakel.” He replied.
“That’s a nice name, are you named after anyone?”
“Yes, I am. I am named after my grandfather, Merrin Paklrel.” answered Merrin.
“I do not know who that is.” replied Katherine.
“I wouldn’t expect you to,” said Merrin, “He was not a famous man.”
After talking about his family, he remembered that he could not stay here for much longer. He must get to Mount Athrius. “I need to leave.” announced Merrin.

“Why are you leaving Merrin?” asked Katherine.
“I cannot say. They are personal reasons.” Merrin said a little uncomfortably.
“Please tell us Merrin, we want to know,” Katherine begged, “You can trust us.”
“Alright, I submit,” Merrin told them, “I am going atop Mount Athrius to see my parents and discover my family’s secrets.”
“Let us go with you!” exclaimed Katherine, “You will need a healer!”
“You will also need somebody who is quick and agile.” said Tarrík, who had not spoken a word since he told Merrin his name.
“I’m not sure I should, but I will bring you along in return for you helping me recover.” Merrin decided.

Merrin and his new partners set out for the Elven city Caratys, a beautiful city crafted very precisely, and has stood for over one hundred years. Hopefully, Merrin’s father’s friend, Feanaro Oronra, the smith, still resides in Caratys, else Merrin won’t have any armor, armor Merrin needed if he wanted to survive the rest of this journey.

Around halfway to Caratys, Merrin announced for him and his partners to take rest, for it will be a long day after. When he awoke it was midday, and his partners were already awake, Tarrík apparently had gone hunting, and was now roasting multiple rabbits over a fire. When the rabbits had finished, they enjoyed a small, but delicious meal. After they ate, Merrin, Katherine, and Tarrík set back out on their journey to Caratys.
They traveled from midday to the late evening, and at last, had arrived at Caratys.
Just like his father had told him, Caratys was a beautiful city, elves were walking around, the buildings were built into trees, and in the middle of the large city was the grand hall. It was created from marble, and intricate carvings decorated it with the history of the elves. One of the scenes depicted the elves winning the Great War against the Orcs. The Orcs are now forbidden in this land, and are killed immediately when seen because they are a very violent race that holds a grudge against the humans and elves. One of the scenes in the carving showed the great Elven warrior, Aerandir Inglorion, slaying the fearsome and barbaric Orc king, Ma’zal. Even though the Orc king is dead, his name still sends chills down people’s spines. Merrin shivered. Just thinking about the Orc king gave him chills, let alone seeing the picture. Merrin shook at the thought of living during that time when that Orc was king. He felt a tap on his shoulder and jumped. He then heard the laugh of Katherine. Merrin turned around and saw Katherine laughing and leaning on Tarrík. Tarrík hid a smile behind his hand, but not very well. At first Merrin was fuming, but he then joined their laughter. But in the back of his mind, he still thought about the dreaded Orc king Ma’zal. Merrin heard the clanging of the forge nearby. He then cut off Katherine’s and Tarrík’s laughter with a piercing whistle.
“Follow me! The forge is nearby.” announced Merrin.
“Why do we need to go to this forge?” asked Katherine, “we could have picked up some armor at Mortys.”
“The armor here is extraordinary. It is made by the best smith in the land, and my father’s close friend, Feanaro Oronra.” Merrin declared.

Leaving at that, Merrin continued on towards the noise of the forge. When he arrived at the forge, he saw his father’s friend Feanaro, working on a beautiful sword, the blade was golden, with a bird’s head engraved into the pommel. Feanaro turned, when he saw Merrin, his face lit up.
“Hello Merrin, how are you?” he asked.
“Well enough Feanaro.” Merrin replied.
“That is good. Pray, may I ask what you are doing in Caratys?” he wondered.
“I am on a journey to the top of Mount Athrius to see the Great Oracle.” Merrin announced.
“Mount Athrius, said Feanaro, concerned, “You do know that that mountain is a very dangerous place?”
“I do know this Feanaro, which is the exact reason I have come. I need armor so I can survive the journey to the top of Mount Athrius.” Merrin said.
“For the son of my lifelong friend, that is but a menial task.” Feanaro declared.

For hours, Feanaro worked on Merrin’s new armor. When it was finally finished, he held in his hands a fine piece of work. It was armor made of pure silver, lined with gold, and had intricate patterns swirling around the breast plate. He saw that it was very thick armor, yet when he slipped it onto his shoulders; it felt light as a feather.
“Thank you Feanaro. This is very fine armor, and it shall do wonders when I am in battle.” Merrin praised.
“You look very fierce,” said the voice of Katherine.
“Thank you Katherine.” Merrin said, “Would you happen to have some armor for my friends here?” He said now to Feanaro.
“I would have some for your agile friend here, some beautiful leather armor. But for your other friend, you would need to go to the enchanter’s shop.” said Feanaro apologetically.
“I understand, Feanaro. I will head to the enchanter’s as soon as I leave.” Merrin told him.
“Goodbye, Merrin.” said Feanaro in farewell.
“Bye Feanaro.” said Merrin as he was departing.

Now that he knew where to find armor for Katherine, Merrin set out for the enchanter’s shop, not too far from the forge. After finding the enchanting shop, Merrin walked inside, and saw beautiful garments that would take your breath away. Merrin then walked up to the front counter and asked “Do you have anything for my friend over there?”
The man at the counter glanced toward Katherine, who was looking at a wonderful silk healer’s robe. It was white with red stripes across the chest, with a hood with one thick red stripe across it.

This book has 1 comment.

Dovahkiin326 said...
on Jan. 22 2014 at 8:37 am
Dovahkiin326, Buffalo, New York

Like a Bauss

This is a very great book