The Biggest Mistake | Teen Ink

The Biggest Mistake

By fall732, London, Other
fall732, London, Other

"To go to school in a summer morn,
O! it drives all joy away;
Under a cruel eye outworn,
The little ones spend the day
In sighing and dismay."

Author's note: love can be a wonderful thing, but it can be terrible too. It can drive you to do and say terrible things. Love can't be controlled and that's what makes it so dangerous.

The Biggest

Mistake

I'm feeling down today. It's a Sunday and I'm bored! I've just got dressed and I'm sitting on my bed. I look in the long mirror straight in front of me. I see a girl. The girl is not ugly I guess, but I don't think she's pretty ether, in fact I'd say she's more ugly than pretty. I walk up to myself and look harder. I have long, dark brown curly hair, I hate my hair. I have thick eye brows, but big eyes with nice longish lashes. I have a kink in my nose that makes it look like a witches, I hate my nose. I have a nice mouth I guess, but I think it's a weird shape. I have fair skin. A nice shaped body, or that's what people have told me. “Beth! Get yourself down here, breakfast is ready!” I go down stairs and sit down at the table. The twins are already at the table playing with their little toy soldiers. Why did mum have to have twins, I mean one little menace is enough to deal with, but two! “Harry, look what you've done!” I say as I pull out a little soldier toy out of my cereal where he dropped it. “Here are your eggs, eat it all, I've got to go to work.”
“But it's a Sunday.”
“Well, the office has asked if I can do some work overtime. Don't worry I'm getting paid.”
“What about Harry and Jamie?”
“I've got a babysitter so don't worry! She’ll be here soon.” Then mum leaves. I look at Harry and Jamie, they look at me, then start screaming a battle cry and attack me. “Get off me, go in the living room and play, get off!” They run into the living room before I can catch them. I stare at the table, it's a mess. Theirs cereal all over the table, let alone in the bowls. The dishes are dirty and everything’s everywhere. I turn around to face the living room, but it's not much better. The floors are covered with the twins toys and games. I blame them for the messiness of this house. I remember when they Booby-trapped me with rotten eggs. Their only eight years old, but they have brains like Einstein and the annoyance of a cough that keeps coming back.

* * *
I'm going to meet up with my friends at the park. There's quite a big group of us, we're all in year eleven together, and as I walk through the gate I see them. I run up to them, I hug Olivia, Nell, Sara, Ruby and Emily. “Oh, I haven't seen you guy for a hole day, it's too long.” I sigh.
“I know what you mean.” says Olivia
“I like your dress Emily, where did you get it?”
“oh, it's just from a market, it was like five pounds or something.” I smile, it's so good to see my friends. I walk over to where the boys are playing football to say hello. I see John and Liam my very best friends, at least out of the boys. I just seem to get along with boys, only if their not too annoying. “Hey! How are ya?”
“Fine, what bout you?” Says John.
“Ok, I guess. Harry and Jamie got on my nerves a bit this morning, but other than that I'm great!”
“Hi, what are you two up to?” says Liam, joining in the conversation.
“Nothing, why weren’t you at school Friday?”
“I had a cold.”
“Awww, how are you feeling today then?”
“A bit better thanks.”
“Come on then guys, lets play football and if you think I'm going in goal you can think again!” I say. I don't really like football, but John and Liam do, so, to make them happy and because their my friends, I play.

* * *
We’re in the park till it's dark. We stop playing football because John fell in a hole and cut his knee. We're all talking but in different groups. I'm talking with John and Liam. “I need a drink, can I get you guys anything?” Says John.
“Bring me some coke or fanta, whatever there is please.” I say
“ok, Liam?”
“No, I don't want anything.”
“Ok then.” Says John and walks off. Liam looks very serious all of a sudden. “Come with me.” he leads me away from the picnic. “Liam, what is it? Is something wrong?”
“Yes.”
“Well? What is it?”
“It's you.” He leans in. I already have my back against a tree. I feel his warm breath slide across my cheek, the way silk does. “I've wanted you for so long now, but I've never had the courage to tell you.” I'm bewildered, I've never seen Liam like this Before. Looking so helpless, almost desperate, from the calm, controlled Liam. “Liam, I...” I don't know what to say, but the look on my face must have said it all. All of a sudden theirs a chill in the air and Liam's face! He looks so disappointed, like a little boy who found out there's no Santa Clause but ten times worse! The expression on his face turns could, like ice water. “It's John, Isn't it!” He sounds so angry! Suddenly I'm scared. “No, of course not! We're just friends!”
“I don't believe you!” His grip tightens as I try to pull away. I'm scared now, I try to push him away but he's stronger, bigger, and has me where he wants me. “Beth! Liam!” It's John! Never have I been so glad to hear his voice. Liam lets go of me and walks back to the picnic. “What's wrong with him?” John asks me. “We just had a little disagreement.”

* * *
It's Monday. Today it's school, and a end of term school dance party, so school finished early. As I walk through the school gate my heart beats faster like a danger alarm has gone off inside of me. I stop dead in my tracks, I can't go on, I can face Liam. “Don't be silly.” I say to myself. “Don't be silly about what?” I turn round to face Olivia. Nell's there too, “Oh, nothing, it doesn't matter.”
“Are you sure? Coz you look as white as a sheet.” says Olivia
“Really? I'm fine I just didn't get that much sleep.”
“Ok, if you say so.” We walk to our class together. When we're I the class I sit at my desk and look around me. I can't see Liam, or John for that matter. Then just as the class begins to start John opens the door. “Sorry we're late sir.” He come in and sits down, then Liam follows. I look down at my hands on the desk. I daren't look up, but just for a moment I catch his eye. His could angry eye looking at me like a wolf might look at his prey. I feel sick. I get up and run out the class room door and vomit in the girls toilets.

* * *

At lunch break I look and wait for a moment when John is on his own. Now! I walk up to him, “hey!” I try to sound cheerful but I fail. “Are you ok today, I mean you were acting wired last night but today you actually vomited.”
“I'm fine” trying to sound it. Then I try to think of an excuse. “I haven't got a date for the dance tonight, that's all.”
“Oh, don't worry I'll go with you, but just as friends.” He smiles reassuringly. He's such a good friend. “Thanks, your the best.”
“I know.” He says, still smiling.
“Now give us a chip will ya.” I reach into his chip box and grab a few chips. “Oi, get your hand off.” His smile immediately disappears. I laugh. “Maybe that's what's wrong with Liam.” John says suddenly.
“What?”
“Well he's been acting a bit weird too. I was thinking that I'd done something wrong coz he wouldn't talk to me, but maybe it's coz he hasn't got a date.”
“I wouldn't know, I don't think so, do you?”
“I don't know, It's not like him to be so, so... so cold and, well angry looking.”
“You think he's very angry?”
“I don't know, like I said, it's not like him to be like this. Maybe I should talk to him.”
“No! Don't do that.”
“Why not?”
“Because... I think we should let him calm down first, like you said he looks uneasy. I think we should let him be for a while.”
“Maybe your right.” Then I see Liam coming towards us, I panic, I quickly walk away. “I'll see ya later then.” I say as I walk off to my class, “see ya!” he replies.

* * *

School is finished and I'm walking home to get changed for the dance. I'm on the bus, I'm thinking about what to wear. I get off at my stop, it's a five minute walk to my house. I like walking down this way, it's so beautiful and quite. There are hardly any houses near ours, we live in the smallest town around here. My school is in the next town, Pelting, five minutes away from this town. I love living in the English country, but I do love the city as well. My grandparents live in London and I love going there. In our town, which is near Dale Farm, there is a small shop that sells milk, bread, eggs, sweets and all of that kind of stuff. When we do a big shop we go to Pelting. Theirs also a pub called The Queen Victoria and a Inn called New Inn that's in Pelting. When I get home and open the door, Harry and Jamie run up to me and pretend to shoot at me. I chase them all the way up stairs and then they chase me into my room. The babysitter is still here, apparently mum won't be back until about ten. Me and John will meet outside the party at eight. I open my wardrobe and scan it for the right dress. I pick out a cream coloured, wavy silk dress with a gold ribbon around the waist, that goes all the way down to the floor. I put my make up on and my shoes and then my coat. I have to sneak out of the house because if the twins see me they'll chase me and I can't run in heals. I get the bus back to Pelting and walk back past the school and towards the Town Hall. When I get there people are already inside and on the dance floor. I wait for John who's late as usual, but I don't mind. I sit on the curb and look up at the stars, I feel like something's wrong, or will be. “I thought I'd never get here.” I turn round to see John's face grinning at me. “There you are, your late.” I say unimpressed.
“But you waited.”
“come on, I'm cold, and you can wipe that silly grin off your face. I'm ready for some fun!” I say, smiling. We walk into the Town Hall that's been transformed into a magical dance room. We dance for a bit and then eat as much as we can and then dance again. Now I'm talking with Olivia, Nell, Sara and Ruby. We giggle as we watch our teacher's dance with each other to the fast music, or a least try to. We talk about which boys are cute and which aren't. About clothes and make up, and about what we're gonna do over the Christmas holiday's. I can't help thinking that, this is how it should be forever. I'm gonna miss my friends over the Christmas break, more than I think I thought I would. “I'll probable go to London and see my grandparents.” I say.
“Uh, your soooo lucky, I want to go to London and see all the big sights.” Says Nell.
“When do you think your gonna go?” Says Emily
“I'm not sure. Maybe if mum can ever get a break from her job.” I say, smiling. Then suddenly it starts raining very heavenly.
“Oh no!” Olivia is the first to speak, “I hope it doesn't rain all night. I have to walk home!” I smile at her, “Don't worry, maybe you can come over to mine and wait for your mum to pick you up.” When I turn my head, my smile disappears. Liam has just come through the door. He doesn't see me, instead he walks straight over to the drinks. Of course someone has spiked the drinks, they always do, and soon he gets a bit drunk.

* * *
After about half an hour something strange happens. I see John and Liam walk out the building together. I feel something is wrong. I immediately follow them. I walk out of the Town Hall and out into the open. The rain is falling so hard it hurts. I go round the back of the Hall. There's a football court a the back. I go down and stand at the corner of the court. The rains pouring and pouring, almost making it impossible to see, my clothes are soaked and the wind howls on as I stand here turning to ice. It's as black and cold as death out here. I can just make out the shape of two figurers standing in the middle of the court. Their facing each other a few meters apart. I run up to them and that's when I see it. Liam has a gun in his hand. He's pointing it at John. “Liam, what do you think your doing!” I almost scream, I'm so frightened it's hard to speak. “Shut up!” He splutters.
“Liam your drunk, you don't know what your doing.” I sound so pathetic. I'm standing almost in between them. “Liam just drop the gun.” I stammer.
“Liam, mate what's wrong? Whatever it is we'll help you.” John says this with his hands in the air. I can hear how scared he is.
“She belongs to me! Do you hear!”
“What's he going on about?” John asks me.
“Liam I don't belong to you, I never did! Stop this now!”
“You'll always belong to me. I had you first! And then he came along.” Liam raises the gun a little. “Well no more! I'm going to have her and you can't stop me!”
“NO!!” BANG! I scream. Liam falls on the ground from the force of the gun. I close my eyes and feel the tears run down my cheeks. I open my eyes and see John on the floor. With a pool of blood around his head. I try to scream again but I find nothing comes out except his name. “John.” I whisper. I slowly walk over to him and lift his head on to my lap. The rain has turned into a drizzle. His face is as white as a sheet compared to the red blood on my dress. Liam gets up and stands just behind me. I just wanted to have some fun tonight, and now he's dead. I look up at Liam with tears in my eye's. “He's dead” I whisper. Liam just stands there, looking at John's lifeless body, and then to the gun in his hand. As if he can't believe what he just did, what just happened. But the thing is, I know it's all my fault. It's my biggest mistake for going to the dance with John. A look comes over Liams face that I can't describe. “I'm so sorry.” As he says it he lifts the gun to my head. I watch as his finger closes in on the trigger. I close my eyes, “Liam.”

fall732 said...
on Jul. 25 2013 at 9:21 am
fall732, London, Other

"To go to school in a summer morn,
O! it drives all joy away;
Under a cruel eye outworn,
The little ones spend the day
In sighing and dismay."

Thanks so much!

Amy Zerbst said...
Amy Zerbst, North Charleston, South Carolina
That was great! Loved it! :)