Gentle Heart

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Old Friend

“September 12th

Emma Sean,

I’m so, so sorry old friend. I let you down. I moved. The last time I spoke to you, as you know, was almost two years ago. Since then, my heart has strayed from my family, from Troyce, from my hometown, our hometown. The Mildrige Village was our special home, the place you and I met. The place I found a refuge. Comfort. I hope you get this message and understand I had to leave; I was left with no choice. What I’ll miss most, is the Ole Barn, the hay we laid on, the nasty rats we would chase and scare away as little children, the paint stains our mothers dreaded after we would paint the old barn brilliant colors of peach and mint.

I’m living in a strange place now. I often get lost, as I live in a city, rather then a small and familiar village. There are handsome strange men, and my heart is free to open here, there’s more room and time for my heart to stray. You see old friend, when you told me never to speak a word from my mouth to you back in Mildridge, it was only a matter of time before I fled our village and wrote you a letter. So as I can imagine, this letter brings you no surprise, and sadly, no comfort. I promised you before you moved to the next town over, Centraridge Village, that I would fix things with Troyce and stay in Mildridge until I did. Sadly after you left, my first lover, James, confessed to Troyce the day before our wedding, that I had kissed him, and loved him since I’d seen him. As this is true, I had to lie to Troyce, but alas he knew better.

So I left town, you can’t understand the shame I felt, the look on Troyce’s face. It’s not the poor chaps fault I couldn’t love him. I never really loved anyone in Mildridge, Emma. No one but you and father. You were my only friend, my family almost. Even my own mother and grandmother told me to leave, and my brother Jacob, who is now only 12 years old, knew life would be best if I wasn’t in his. It’s heartbreaking, even after 2 years, and now living in a new town where no one knows my past, I wear my shame inside of me, hidden for no one to see. I got a job as a cashier. Not a big deal but it pays so much more then any shop in Misridge. This town’s brimming with life and people, and the worst part is, none here could ever replace you or Jacob, or even Troyce.

I ask you, beg if I might, write me back old friend. I miss your comfort, your silly heavy accent that almost was as bad as mine. Your friendship. I don’t deserve it, and I never meant to leave Mildrige, I never meant to leave things broken with your brother, but he can’t be my husband. Please feel for me.

Love,
Willow Blaise”