Dreaming Big | Teen Ink

Dreaming Big

By Scarlett Goodrich, Pasco, Washington
Scarlett Goodrich, Pasco, Washington

Author's note: It is what i always wanted to happen to me. I would want my dreams to come true and become a world known performer.

Hope you like it!

This morning I woke up, got out of bed and headed downstairs to see my mom in the kitchen cooking up some breakfast before we left on our big trip to California later on today. Our plane leaves at noon so I ate quickly and looked at the clock. I had a couple hours to get ready since it’s only nine O’ clock. I helped my mom clean up the kitchen and headed back upstairs to get in the shower. I was in the shower for about twenty minutes. I got out, dried off, and threw on some black yoga pants that I had bought at Victoria’s Secret, and a t-shirt that I got in California last year. It was Pink with some lettering on it that read “Aeropostale”. I went back into my bathroom, blow dried my hair, and decided to curl it. Time went by quickly when I curled my hair, because I have extremely thick hair I didn’t pay attention to the clock, but when I looked at the clock, it read eleven fifteen.

We arrived at the airport about twenty minutes later and we sat and waited to be called to board the plane. We waited for about ten more minutes. The intercom came on “Now boarding for California.” We grabbed our bags and headed for the place where our bags would end up on the plane. After we placed them on the belt, we headed for security, we had to take off our shoes, my mom had to take off her belt and we put our phones into a bucket. They went through the conveyer belt to be checked. We stepped through security, and got our shoes back on, and we were now headed towards the plane. The trip took 7 ½ hours and we needed a car when we arrived.

The car I decided to rent was a Nissan Altima coupe. We got the car and drove off the lot with it. We had arrived at the hotel we were staying at about fifteen minutes later. We were in the heart of California. Where regular people like me become movie stars or singers. This is the place where I wanted my dreams to come true. I am a singer, I love to perform. It’s what I have been doing since I could even make a sound, before I could make out any words. We checked into the hotel and got to our room. It was about eight thirty when my mom decided to take us out for dinner. We had chosen to go to Dairy Queen because it was fast and cheap. We ate and laughed at the many jokes being made by my little brother Matt, who is thirteen and he made everyone laugh, even my little sister Emma laugh, she is six. She doesn’t laugh as much as she used to, she laughed a lot more when our dad was around.
My dad had passed away from a car accident about a year and a half ago. I still miss him, but I wish that my mom would get out there again and meet somebody just as great as my dad. I tried to push my mom on going on more dates but so far she has only been on two. We were in LA, where anything can happen.

It’s heartbreaking to see her all sad, but lately her smile has been coming back, and I don’t have a clue to why. All I know is that I loved seeing her smile again. I would love to say thank you to whomever or whatever was making her happy again. Once we were done with dinner we walked out of DQ and the sun was still up. The hot wind was still blowing as it did when we first arrived. This was my favorite kind of weather. It was warm all the time, the sun was always shining. I was always thinking that I was born in the wrong state. 18 years ago, I was born in Minnesota, it is pretty cold up there and I am summer baby, I love the warm weather. I wasn’t a huge fan of the snow, it’s wet and cold all the time, and just wasn’t the best to walk in or to drive in.

We went and drove around town saw the walk of fame. This was the first time Matt and Emma had been to California. It showed on their faces how much they enjoyed it down here. I know they hated it in Minnesota because Matt and Emma would always get sick. We decided to head back to the hotel. It was about ten O’ clock when we arrived. My mom had put Matt and Emma to bed, I got ready for bed and my mom and I decided to stay up and watch “Breaking Dawn Part 2.” After the movie it was about twelve forty five. I was exhausted from all the flying from the day before and just needed to get some sleep.

Today was going to be a great day. I decided to lie in bed for a couple more minutes to think about what the rest of day would look like. Since my aunt and uncle live in California, my mom and I decided to drop Matt and Emma off at their house, we decided to bring my aunt Amanda along with us and have a girl’s night. We had been planning to go to a Karaoke Club. I could not have been more excited, since I loved to sing, I couldn’t wait to show my talent to others. After I finished up thinking about the day, I got up and made some pancakes, bacon, sausage, and eggs for breakfast. They all came running in the room as soon as they heard sizzling in the frying pan. I have to admit that it smelled amazing. I set out the glass plates on the table, and got the forks out and placed them next to the plates. There were four chairs, enough for all of us. Matt sat next to mom and Emma sat next to me across from Matt and Mom.

“Did all of you get enough sleep last night?” My mom asked to break the silence, since none of us were saying anything.

“Yes, this bed is way more comfortable than my bed back home.” I said and Matt and Emma just nodded their heads yes, while stuffing food in their mouths. I was guessing they were starving, the spoons were basically shovels.

After breakfast I cleaned up the mess that I had made. I did the dishes and laid them on a cloth to dry throughout the day. I went into the bathroom and took a quick shower. Got dressed and just put my hair in a sock bun on top of my head. The rest got dressed and we got in the car to take Matt and Emma to Aunt Amanda and Uncle Chris’s house. They live in long beach it was about a half an hour drive. We finally arrived. Their house was huge, I could see a famous person living in this house. I have never been to their house before. Every time I would come here by myself I would stay with a friend that I met about six years ago and now we have become the best of friends. Her name Is Eleanor, she is 18 years old and she moved here with her mom from England about ten years ago. She has an amazing accent. I decided to text Eleanor to see if she was busy tonight. Luckily she wasn’t, so I talked to my mom and asked if Eleanor could join us for a girl’s night tonight.
My mom happily said yes, since she hasn’t met Eleanor yet. We dropped off the Matt and Emma. My Mom, Amanda, and I left and were headed to pick up Eleanor. Since Eleanor lives in LA we had to drive back another half an hour. It wasn’t that bad since we got talking and laughing all the way back.

Forty five minutes later we arrived at Eleanor’s house up in the hills of Hollywood. Her house is on the highest hill in Hollywood overlooking the city of LA. I hopped out of the car to go get Eleanor. I rang the door bell and Eleanor’s mom answered the door.

“Heather!! It’s so good to see you, it’s been too long!” She said in her still strong British accent, basically screaming in my ear as she hugged me.

“It’s good to see you too Mrs. Williams, is Eleanor ready yet?” I instantly heard screaming coming from the stairs. I saw Eleanor running down the stairs and running at me to give me a huge hug. She had a huge grin on her face once she made eye contact with me. I had to be honest it was so good to see her again. It’s been about two years since the last time I saw her.

“Heather I have missed you so much!!” She said clutching my body in a hug.

“I missed you too El, it’s been way too long. You ready to party with your best friend in the whole world?” Oh I could tell by the look on her face that she was beyond ready. She just wanted to be with her best friend. I mean who could blame her. The best times are when you party with Heather.

“Ready as I’ll ever be!” Eleanor said in the happiest tone. She said her goodbyes to her mom and we were on our way. I led her out the door to meet my Mom and Aunt Amanda. My mom and Amanda stepped out of the car. My mom came up to Eleanor and just gave her a hug thanked her for all she has done for me, when I came down here to visit. Amanda shook Eleanor’s hand and we got into the car and were on our way to the club.

We had finally arrived at the club, we showed the security our ID’s and gladly we got inside. One of the security guards asked. “Are you guys ready to get on that stage and blow some people away?” he said looking at the four of us as he stamped the back of our hands.

“Most definitely, I’m going to blow away any of the people that sang before us.” I said pretty confident about mine and Eleanor’s performance later on. The security guard looked pleased and finally let us inside. The club was filled with colorful flashing blue, green, yellow, and red, lights. I was more than excited now that we were here. In the club there were so many people and many young men who were pretty easy on the eyes.

We got a table and sat down and ordered drinks and some food. Eleanor and I got up to go sign up for our turn to sing. We got back to the table. My mom quietly whispered in my ear, “Honey, there is a young boy over there who keeps staring at you!” She said I heard her loud and clear we had only been here ten minutes and I already had a boy checking me out. I quickly looked up and saw him looking straight at me. I smiled at him and waved. He waved back and smiled, he was pretty cute. He had a gorgeous smile that a girl would swoon for. By that time it was mine and Eleanor’s turn to step it up and show the people in the club that we belong here and we are the best. We got on stage, everybody was clapping for us, finally we decided on a song to sing “Give Your Heart a Break” By Demi Lovato. We started off pretty strong, once we got to the bridge of the song Eleanor and I took everyone by surprise. We were out of breath and at the end of the song people were giving El and I a standing ovation. We had said thank you in our microphones and went to sit down. We got to the table where my mom and Aunt Amanda were sitting and chowed down on our food.

A short time after our performance a man came up to Eleanor and I and introduced himself.
“Ladies that was a marvelous performance you just gave the audience, I am L.A. Reid.”
I hadn’t realized it was LA Reid until he said his name, since it was pretty dark in the room. I felt my jaw drop instantly, while almost choking on the food in my mouth. LA Reid was talking to Eleanor and I. Looking over to Eleanor I smiled, almost had a heart attack, and fell out of my chair I was currently sitting in. It was unreal, I couldn’t believe it. LA grabbed a chair from an empty table that was placed right next to us.
“You girls are both very talented. Here is my card you can come in to the studio at anytime, call anytime, just come and stop by and ask for me I’ll always be there, and we can see what happens from there.” L A said as he stood up shook Eleanor’s and mine hands and left the club.
I suddenly looked over to Eleanor, and Eleanor made eye contact with me. We both just started to scream and hugged each other as tight as possible. Eleanor phoned her mom and told her the news. We only got here yesterday and my dream is already coming true. It feels like it’s happening too fast. I looked over to my mom she looked kind of in shock. I smiled at her and all she said was, “We’ll talk about this later.” We continued to eat our food. I saw that boy that my mom told me about earlier before El and I sang. I waved and he started to walk towards our table. I didn’t know what to do I just sat there talking to Eleanor trying to look natural, to make sure that he didn’t know that I knew he was coming over to my table. I looked up and saw him standing right next to me.
“Hi” I said to be nice.
“Hi I’m Nate, you and your friend did a great job up there.” holding the back of my chair with his right hand.
“Thanks, I’m Heather and this is Eleanor.” I said pointing to El sitting to the right of me. “We decided on that song last minute, so we didn’t really have a chance to practice. But if we would have practiced it would have been so much better than that.”
“Wow, that was a pretty good performance for not practicing at all.” Nate said making sure that Eleanor heard since she was still eating her food as Nate and I talked.
I scoot my chair over enough so that Nate could fit into the little table we were sat at. El and I and Nate talked for about an hour until my mom and Aunt Amanda left the club and left us there, talking to Nate. He told us that he could give us a ride to where ever we needed to go. My mom had to take my aunt back to Long Beach, because it was getting late, and to pick up Matt and Emma. The three of us left the club about midnight and got home about twelve thirty. Eleanor texted her mom and told her that she was going to stay with me for the night. We exchanged numbers with Nate in case we wanted to hang out again. He is a really sweet guy. Probably the nicest guy I have met in a while. Nate dropped El and I off at our hotel. Once we got in, both of us crashed on my bed still in our clothes that we went to the club in. It has been an eventful day.
I woke up about four O’ clock in the morning and decided to change into my pajamas. My jeans were really uncomfortable to sleep in. I decided to wake Eleanor up and give her some PJ’s to change into. Once we got changed we washed our faces and took the remaining make up off, and went back to sleep. I went back to sleep with a smile on my face remembering the events that had happened just over four hours ago. I’m pretty sure I dreamt about it.

The sun was seeping through the window and woke me up. I glanced at the clock it was ten seventeen. I’m glad my mom let us sleep in, she knew we were having fun last night and dealt with it, since we were in California. I told her to let loose a little and give me some space so that I can enjoy this vacation and have fun without having to be with an adult twenty four seven. I let Eleanor sleep and I got up to take a quick shower. Once I was done getting dressed I stepped out of my room my mom was sitting on the couch reading “The Hunger Games” She looked up at me and smiled.
“Hey honey did you have fun last night?” she said just so I could hear her, everyone was still sleeping and didn’t want to wake anybody up.
“Yes it was a blast. Nate is super nice and sweet.” I said with a smile on my face “Thank you mom.”
“For what honey?” She said taking my hand in hers.
“You know, letting me take care of myself and trusting me to be safe and get Eleanor back safely, and just letting me have fun.” She pulled me closer to her and gave me a long lasting hug. I lied down on her lap, while she played with my damp hair.
“I don’t want to smother you Heather, I need to trust you and know that you are responsible enough to not do anything stupid. I mean look where we are, we are in California, and there are some places that I wouldn’t want you to be. I don’t’ know what I would do without you.” She said kissing my forehead.
I sat up and thanked her once again and we talked about what happened at the club, with LA Reid. She told me we could check it out, but she isn’t so sure about it. She doesn’t want me to go into the music industry and ruin my life, like Lindsey Lohan. I laughed when she said her name. I told her I would never do anything to harm me or anybody else or my family. She got up to go get ready for the day. I went and jumped on my bed and Eleanor shot up, her eyes wide. She hit my harm for almost giving her a heart attack.
“Hey go get ready we are going to go see LA Reid today! Hurry up because we are going to go pick up your mom and bring her with us!” I said jumping on the bed to make sure that she would stay awake. I couldn’t contain my excitement. I wanted to go see the record label. I wanted to know where Eleanor and I could possibly be recording our own music one day.
Finally everyone was up and ready at noon. We called Eleanor’s mom to be ready when we got there, which would be in about twenty minutes. We were now on the road to our careers. I looked over to Eleanor and she had the biggest smile on her face. I knew mine and Eleanor’s dreams were coming true. It’s been what we always wanted. Eleanor has been singing since she could talk. She has an amazing singing voice. We rely on each other to make each other better singers. When I was here a couple of summers ago we took singing lessons together. Since then I haven’t been scared to sing in front of anyone. When I was in middle school I had the worst stage fright. I just wanted that to end, so I told my mom that I wanted to have singing lessons to help me over-come the fear of singing in front of others. Now I love it, it is such a rush of adrenaline, and people appreciate that you have a talent to share. I was ready to have a career in singing, I want people to know who I am, I want to go on sold out tours with my best friend and perform all over the world. I want boys and girls to know that their dreams can come true, if it’s truly what you want to do and you set your mind to it your dreams could come true.
We arrived at the studio and met LA in his office. We shook hands with him and he told us to have a seat. We were talking about what could happen with mine and Eleanor’s futures. El and I told him that we would want to be a duet and nothing else. He approved our wishes. He then took us to a recording studio to sample something for him. Once we finished he had one of his people work on it and we then listened to the track that we sang. Josh, the guy that was working on the song, did an amazing job and we sounded amazing. Our harmonies went great together, I was happy with where things were going. LA also looked happy with the way things were going by the look on his face. We went back to his office and asked if Eleanor and I could wait outside so he could talk to our parents. Since we were waiting I decided to text Nate and told him we were in LA Reid’s office, and asked him if he wanted to hang out later. He said he will come over when he gets off work. Eleanor and I were talking for about forty five minutes and were wondering what was taking our mothers so long. All of the sudden our mothers walked out of the door with smiles on their faces.
“Why are you smiling mom?” I asked with a grin on my face knowing that something good came out of this.
“Welcome to the music industry honey!!!” She said walking toward Eleanor and I. I screamed and gave my mom the biggest hug that I thought she deserved. We went back into LA’s office and signed an eight million dollar contract for four years.

Well thats the end i know its not the best but here you go.

It has been three months since Eleanor and I signed with LA Reid’s record label. I am living in LA with Eleanor until my mom and siblings get back with everything from the house back in Minnesota. A few months back when we first got into music business we decided to go looking for a house, Eleanor had told me that the people living next door to them will be moving to Florida in a few weeks and that we should take a look at the house, and see if we liked it. They should be here any minute now. They left about four days ago. I saw the moving trucks next door and my mom right behind them through the window. I ran out the front door and ran next door, I saw my mom smile as she got out of the car once she saw me running towards her.
I took hold of my mom and it felt good to be in her arms again. I missed Matt and Emma’s loud laughs and giggles. My mom went and unlocked our new house and the men started to move things into the house right away. Several hours later the men got in their truck and drove off. A few days later we were all settled in our house my room was perfect, I had a huge walk- in closet and my own bathroom and a balcony. I could not have been happier with the room and the view I had gotten. Eleanor came over and started writing some music, El and I have already started an album and we are going to a red carpet event where we will be introduced. So our stylist will be coming by in about three hours. The red carpet event is tonight at seven, I am extremely nervous and excited at the same time but more on the nervous side.
Our stylist came by and gave El and I some gorgeous dresses for tonight’s event. We are going to arrive at our record label, pick up LA, and arrive at the red carpet with him. This was our debut appearance. The first time people will see Eleanor and I, the first time paparazzi will be asking questions and taking pictures of us with LA Reid. I could not have been more scared or nervous. This is where either people love you or they hate you. Eleanor and I had finally finished getting ready and we were off to the red carpet event. We arrived and LA was the first person out of the car and helped El and I by grabbing our hands. I had forgotten we are singing one of the songs we have written tonight and we have been practicing for the past week and a half. I don’t know how I forgot about it, it’s the biggest career move of El and I’s career. We stepped on the red carpet and instantly the cameras started to flash left and right.
“Turn this way LA.” All the questions kept coming as we moved down the carpet. “Who are these lovely young ladies here tonight?” Asked an interviewer, LA politely answered her question.
“These gorgeous young ladies are the new edition to Epic Records. They will be performing tonight to get their names out there.” The interviewer nodded her head and we continued down the carpet. I wanted to get inside so I could sit down. All of this adrenaline is giving me a slight headache. I was getting extremely nervous. I will be singing in front of some of the most famous people in the industry right now. And we won’t be the only people were singing tonight I heard that the biggest boy band in the world right now would be performing, which happens to be One Direction, and I heard Justin Timberlake would be performing also. Both of them are super talented and I am a huge fan of both of them. I came back to reality and I started to get lightheaded, I really needed to sit down.
I swear I was so close to passing out. LA noticed and told some people backstage to get me some water. I told him I needed some Ibuprofen for my headache that was now pounding in my head. I had a seat got some Ibuprofen and waited for my headache to go away. At this point I am getting super nervous. I saw Justin Timberlake and One Direction backstage as El and I were getting ready. All of them came over to me and asked me if I was ok, that I needed to take a big breath and have fun, don’t think about it. They left and went to go get ready for their own performances they had later on tonight.
The awards were now going on for about an hour and Justin Timber lake performed first, then One Direction performed about a half an hour after him. I don’t know why they put us last, that made me feel like we had to hit it hard and have it be a great performance, like the boys before and Justin before them. LA had told us that we were performing last, so that we would be the last performance that people would remember, so that the people would spread our name around the world.
They did great, they came backstage and told us to have fun and told us that we would be great. We were next, I took a deep breath and I instantly heard LA Reid’s voice introducing us, and we walked on stage. I wasn’t really nervous at this point in time. Yeah there were probably twenty thousand people in the room. I was ready to get this performance over with. We had started our song out soft and the chorus came and Eleanor and I Just let it all go.
The song was finally over and the crowd went wild for our song. They were all standing and we were so happy we gave each other a hug in front of everybody. I started to cry, not in a bad way but a very good way, they were tears of happiness, I was afraid everyone would hate our song. El and I stepped off stage and tears of happiness were still falling down my cheeks but soon stopped, El and I were bombarded with hugs by One Direction and Justin Timberlake. They knew Eleanor and I were scared out of our minds. They congratulated us and continued on with getting ready to go out for an after party. They had invited us but I didn’t know if I could handle it. They really wanted to get to know us better since they had just met us, and thought we were nice and sweet girls, but Eleanor and I politely declined the boys’ offer to go out. So El and I decided to go home, and have our own little after party. We had ice cream and watched a few movies. After the movies were over Eleanor and I crashed on the couch.
A few months have passed and Eleanor and I had released our first album. Later on that year we went on our first tour. I knew my dream had come true. I could have not been happier with my life.
THE END.