Rapunzel

Author's note: This started as an assignment for one of my college classes. The assignment was, take the story...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This started as an assignment for one of my college classes. The assignment was, take the story of Rapunzel and remix it however you'd like. So, I made a story. If it gets enough positive feedback, I'm thinking about adding to it and hopefully creating a full-blown novel out of it one day.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

1

Pop-pop! Bang-bang! It was utter chaos; all around shots were being fired and men lay wounded or dying. He knew he should do something, but all he could do was duck his head and run. Oh and pray that his cover wasn’t blown. That was pretty crucial to his survival. This whole time, which had really only been about two minutes, all the rebel could think was “why am I here” or “what the hell is going on?” As far as he could tell, there were no attacks scheduled for today.
Either way, he figured he’d better get out of there, and fast. He looked around, checking his surroundings as he’s done so many times in training, and found a small clearing of rubble to his left. If he could just…
But of course it wouldn’t be that easy. One of his men stepped in front of him and the rebel knew what he had to do; he took out his pistol and before he could even register the shock on his comrade’s face, he shot him and ran for the clearing.
On a normal day, the fact that he shot that man so easily would have tugged at his conscience, but right now he had more pressing issues. Like getting out of this mess alive.
And figuring out where he was going…
He slowed his pace to a walk so he could catch his breath for the first time all day it seemed. Now that he was slowing down and actually paying attention to where he was going, instead of just navigating the streets and turning corners mindlessly, he realized he’d never been to this part of the region before. The government never brought him here, and he doubted the rebels even knew this space was here.
But uh… where was here?