Letters | Teen Ink

Letters

By Too_Many_Tears BRONZE, Huddersfield, Other
Too_Many_Tears BRONZE, Huddersfield, Other

To conqure fear you must become fear! and dont judge a book by its cover... read the blurb too :)

Author's note: i was watching Being Erica and i thought: Everyone has regrets and I was just sat wondering how awesome it would be if i could go back in time and warn myself not to do something stupid thats how this came about...

Just the Prologue so let me know if its any good :) all comments negative or posevive are welcome. I hope you like it X)

As the bus pulls up to the stop I catch a glimpse of red and black in the corner of my eye. My heart begins to pound, oh well that’s just brilliant, as if this day wasn’t stressful enough. I walk slowly off the bus praying to whoever that she doesn’t see me; she does. She looks me straight in the eye, the fire of disdain burning deep within her cold blue eyes I lurch out of her way but she moves with such stealth that before I can dodge she has me by the arm and twists it so hard I think it might actually fall off...if I'm lucky. “PLEASE, PLEASE! I’M SORRY! WHATEVER I DID I’M SORRY!!” I scream out in pain. To my surprise she relents and let’s go of my arm with a shove “Whatever you’ve done? Stop playing innocent you know what you’ve done Pearl!” she spat, quite literally spat right in my face, fully hocked it back and let out this disgusting yellow-green-brown stuff that stuck to my nose and eyelids. I'm imprisoned in to darkness, corpse smelling darkness. Then I feel a sharp pain behind my knees and I topple to the ground, don’t cry, Taira, whatever you do don’t cry!, I rummage around in my back pack to find some handy wet wipes and clean my face until there isn’t any skin left on it. That’s one of the things about where I live: no one sees anything. There’s a bunch of people that get off at my stop, a bunch of people waiting at the stop, but no one tries to help. Heck no one tried to stop her! They all stood and watched as it happened, but.... no one saw anything!
I pound the pavement until I reach the turning to my cull-de-sack, almost stepping on Luna the cat- THE creepiest cat in the world. Seriously the things pure white and always looks like its got pink eye. Luna just looks at me as I walk away as if to say “Bitches be crazy....” Mesmerised by the creepy ghetto cat I almost kill some guy moving boxes. “HEY! Watch it! I'm kinda walking here!” the random box guy snaps at me, annoyance obviously raging within his cranium but not quite reaching his hands so he doesn’t drop the box. I must applaud his self control, Impressive, but rude. “I’m sorry but I didn’t see you...” I say in a floaty melodic tone which makes me sound a little bit like a Disney character, hoping this will soften him a little. “Yeah, well I'm not exactly hard to miss, am I? I'm carrying a huge box! Pay more attention next time, Princess!” he snarls like a rabid dog. What is his problem? “Excuse me but, what is your problem? Yeah I bumped into you, I did say I was sorry and FYI the reason I didn’t see you was 1: my glasses got smashed today by some b**** with an attitude and 2: I was trying not to step on Luna the cat! So excuse me if I'm a little clumsy today!”I flipped at him and, to be honest, it felt kind of good. “ so let me get this right, you smashed your own glasses and you want me to feel sorry for you?” he said in a slightly casual and sarcastic manner that really got me aggravated... “Oh my God! You don’t even know me who-”WHO IS THIS DOUCHE! “-and FYI that was two reasons, not a reason” he smiled with a smug but annoyingly attractive look on his face as he headed inside with the so-called HUGE box.
After the whole ordeal is over I eventually get into my house, after dodging carefully every moving guy on the planet, and put the kettle on wanting the day to end already. Its only when I'm stood in my kitchen waiting for the kettle to boil that I begin to turn the events of today over in my head; surprisingly that run in with (what I'm hoping is just another moving guy) wasn’t the worst thing that happened today. But fair to say not a brilliant end to the week. So as I stand in my tiny kitchen stirring my tea I review all of today’s events:
1.
I am avoided all day at school and whispered about... I think
2.
Jelly bean Gennie decides that she doesn’t like me again today and try’s every way possible to hurt me, get me in trouble or just ruin my life in general for instance I'm walking up the stairs to maths so she trips me and laughs as I fall back down the stairs and land with my bum on Mr Choctons face.....must say not the best day to wear a skirt...
3.
Then I get called out of class because some of the teachers are worried about me... apparently they’ve heard that I’ve been self harming. I haven’t. So now I'm on a special watch program even though I’ve showed them my scar less wrists they still think that there may be some truth in it. Now I have the pleasure of going to the school nurse every other day because a “Concerned pupil” had a word with them!
Not a happy bunny. But I'm home now and I can just relax with my cup of tea and the T.V for an hour before I'm shooed out of the living room by Joe, my little brother, who no doubt will turn it over on to Scuzz (a rock music channel) the moment he’s through the door. I walk out of the kitchen but have to back up because I noticed something stuck on to the fridge. I have to get really close to see what it says; I'm basically blind without my glasses.
Hi love, new neighbours moved in today having their stuff delivered be a darling and help them out for me. They seem pretty nice so make a good first impression! Be back later. Love you xx
Great. So no relaxing for me then, I hurriedly finish my tea, then rush off upstairs to pull on my favourite denim blue skinnies, with gold and brown stitching on the seam on one side of each leg and gold sprayed buttons on the pockets and fly, and a white t-shirt with ‘LOL’ printed on the front in big bold red letters. Just as I'm about to sprint out the house I grab my flowery gray hoodie, looked like it was going to rain all day, and my spare pair of glasses and head out the house. When I get next door there are still plenty of boxes left in the moving van for me to help with. Yay I’ve been looking forward to lifting boxes... The last people who lived here were really creepy, they spent most of their time indoors and when they did venture outside looked blinded by the sun and quickly stalked back in. My theory was that they were vampires; Joe agreed with me, mum thought that maybe they were albinos but their hair was night black and had the darkest brown eyes I’d ever seen. They kept their house nice enough though from what I saw, which consisted of the front garden, the front room, the back garden and the back room. Well what I could see through the windows anyway...

As I walked up to the front door I suddenly get really excited, I didn’t realise how curious about this house I’d been until now. The door flies open before I even have a chance to knock. “... I just think we should go and meet the people we’re going to be sharing a street with that’s all I'm planning on being here a while... I just-” the women in front of me says as if she’s exasperated then she notices me standing there with what is probably the fakest smile ever spread across my face. “Oh I'm sorry, Hi can I help you?” she sounds friendly enough and defiantly not a vampire... I think. “Sorry I’m just um...I live next door and uh... just thought um... I thought you might want a hand with the uh... boxes” Great first impression Taira...you nut job! I think to myself as I make the smile even bigger, you can really call it a smile it’s more like pulling my cheeks back to make the skin around my mouth tight, whatever you want to call it I look like a Cheshire cat or Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory... “Oh, uh... well that’s really nice of you thanks...uh, we’re just having a rest for 5 minutes so you’re welcome to come and sit with us for a bit if you’d like” She says with a friendly smile. She looks like she’s in her mid-forties, probably about my mum’s age, about the same height too with mid length blondish-brownish hair and beautiful dark green eyes that have specks of blue in them, unusual but lovely. She has olive skin almost like a slightly faded tan which makes her eyes stand out. Other than her eyes everything else about her is relatively plain a straight uninteresting nose, thin unimpressive lips, fairly flat cheeks, slightly arched eyebrows and a slightly rounded chin. Her eyes are defiantly her best feature. “I’m Pamella, but you can just call me Pam,” she declares as she ushers me inside, a feeling of disappointment hits me when I see the inside of the house, it’s the same lay out as mine but the kitchens bigger and the walls are all beige. What did I expect? A vampire lair with black and deep red everywhere with coffins in the kitchen? That feeling is quickly overridden by irritation when I realise that the “moving guy” I bumped into is actually Pam’s son. “... and this is my eldest son Viggo... well don’t be rude to our guest Viggo...” Pam tried to whisper the last bit between gritted teeth but actually comes out quite loud. I can tell that Viggo is probably in a pretty bad mood but I don’t care because he was a complete dick earlier. He stands up shakes my hand, his head inclined downwards slightly as if he’s trying to touch his chin to the top of his chest, his eyes look to a space in the bottom right hand corner of the room, so as not to meet my eye and mumbles “nice to meet you” Yeah I bet you are... I mumble a “likewise” in reply and he sits back down on to a fancy looking dining room chair. I can tell from just from the dining room that they are probably quite well off the dining room set is from a fancy catalogue my mum reads, don’t know why she reads it we can’t afford a strand of a cashmere rug from that place but she sits there for hours poring over, it keeps her happy so I leave her to it. Pam and I chat for five minutes. It’s strange how much you can learn about a person in five minutes. Pam’s originally from London but has lived in Yorkshire since she was 12, they have just moved from Malton (a small town near Scarbourgh) because Pam got a new job as Assistant manager at Marks and Spencer, She has three kids: Viggo, The eldest (and obviously the most obnoxious), Tammy, whose a year younger than me and Viggo (15) and Ash whose the same age as Joe (13), Pam is also, like my mum, a single parent. My mum was right she does seem really nice I can’t vouch for Viggo though. After our chat Viggo reminds us that there are boxes outside to lift so we crack on with it although after about 3 boxes I notice that Pam is really struggling and tell her she should sit down and that Me and Viggo will handle the boxes. She resists for a while but eventually goes back inside to lie down on the couch. Oh Brill I’m left with Mr Happy...Viggo and exchange looks then get on with the work. When we’re about half way through he mumbles something unintelligible. “What?” I say more aggressively then I was ment to. “I said I'm sorry about earlier. I was just a little ratty from the journey...” he trails off. Please that’s the best he can do? I'm not taking that. “Really so that’s your excuse for insulting a perfect stranger who accidentally bumped into you? I had my back to you anyway I wouldn’t have seen you even if I did have my glasses!” my voice sound squeaky with annoyance. He just looks me up and down then shrugs. “Yeah well I’ve apologised so whatever.” He says almost nonchalant tone. This just aggravates me. “Ha, yeah so did I but you didn’t want to take it smart arse!” I bite hoping this has the desired effect. “Well what do you want me to do get on my knees and beg?!” his sarcastic tone annoys me so I bite back with “That’d be nice! And while you’re there you can clean my shoes”. He lets out an angry laugh. “ Nice try princess but you’re gonna be hard pressed to find anyone that’s going to come half as close to you as I am let alone your feet...” That hurt, it was a low blow, and he had to know that because I can feel my face forming that guarded and hurt expression. I clench my jaw shut and let his words hang in the air for a while and decide not to say anything at all, partially because I wanted him to feel guilty and partially because if I did say something it’d come out all squeaky and stifled. “Crap I'm sorry I didn’t mean that I just... it came out all wrong. I didn’t mean that at all. I just wanted... I don’t like losing and well I didn’t... look I just...I’m...sorry...” he says eventually and he sounds sincere but I’m not quite convinced yet... “Can we just start over?” he puts down the box he’s holding and puts out his hand “... Hi, I'm Viggo. I just moved here, it’s nice to meet you” He sound really friendly and his smile is breathtaking. He’s properly gorgeous he’s got his mums eyes but they look even more striking on him because un like his mum every inch of him is remarkable. From his golden brownish soft curly hair to his button nose and slightly cleft chin to his arched eyebrows and sharp jaw line, if I hadn’t encountered him before now I Probably would have swooned at the sight...actually I – No! He’s a complete douche!... a gorgeous one, but still a douche even if he does have the most perfect lips I’ve ever seen...I tell myself it seems be working...for now anyway. I put my box down and shake his hand but when I speak my voice is patronising. “My names Taira, I live next door. Stay out of my way and I’ll stay out of yours ok? Don’t want to get too close to me now do we?”The muscles in his face release the smile and he looks wounded but I don’t care what he said hurt. We pick up our boxes and return to getting them out of the van and into the house in silence. When I'm finished I chat to Pam for another five minutes before I leave. On the short walk back home I get a pang of guilt. Mum wanted me to make a good first impression. Great first impression I made.