To Tear A Stone

Author's note: I wrote this because I felt like I had to. I felt powerless against war, as though I could do...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I wrote this because I felt like I had to. I felt powerless against war, as though I could do nothing against it. This book is what I can do against war, this book is my protest. It is little, it is only short and I am no one, but it is nevertheless close to my heart.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Glass Bottles

The wind screams over a silent land, whipping charcoal up into the air and blowing it into the eyes. The smell of smoke claws it’s way into clothes and into hair, sticking it’s sent to a person. This is a pillaged and ravished land, blackened by fire and twisted by explosions. The girl’s face resembles the land. She is beautiful, but eyes are harsh, scared and cruel. Her hair is scruffy; her face is stained by charcoal. Her face is shadowy, sharp and strong. By her side is a half person. A
This was inspired by a picture I saw of a war destroyed village in Russia.
little boy whose mind is else where, in some make believe world only he can see. His face is buried in her hip, his little hands gripping her skirt.
The wind whips around both of them, making her skirt billow and flutter around him, making them one creature. Her hand is on his shoulder, holding him close as though he might suddenly slip away from her. The girl’s body is strong, with wide shoulders from which sprouts a long, strong neck. The little boy is frail and weak, gentle and sweet. The girl’s bright eyes watch the shuffling people, as though expecting attack. The girl watches madwoman carefully as madwoman wanders by.
Madwoman carries her dead child close to her heart. As though her beating heart could revive her child’s cold one. Madwoman could from no words, only whimpers and wails. Her legs swing beneath her like pendulums on a clock, she sways. The screaming wind hits her full on, whipping her long and tangled main of hair about her. Her mind has been lost to grief, her child as been lost to a bullet. Away she wanders, no longer seeing the charred village. Into the woods she goes, into the woods where the packs of dogs roam. Dogs that used to be pets, and are now wild creatures thirsting for blood.
Life is like a glass bottle, thinks the girl. You live inside it, separate from everything without noticing. It’s not till tragedy strikes, and that bottle breaks, do you see the real world. Then the screaming wind whirls about you, and soldiers spill in. They are here to kill, pillage and destroy, to take everything and give nothing back. These are the fruits of war, thinks the girl, these bodies that litter the streets, this village burned to the ground and all these lost and shuffling people. Her mind is of the practical kind; she has already decided to stay in the village. Mamma and papa are gone, as is elder brother, but she is strong. In their memory she must not leave this village. She will rebuild her home again, for this little one, she will rebuild.
Wild boy’s eyes were large and strange. He opened his eyes to wide, making his handsome face seem strange. His hair was dark and stuck out around his haggard and stone like face. He watches the girl, for she is his heart’s darling. There has never been a time she has been out of his heart. To wild boy, people are strange creatures. To wild boy, people do not matter. All people, that is, except for the girl. Wild boy watches the girl from a distance, watching the little one cling to her side. Wild boy is harsh and strong. His body is hardened to cruelty, and his mind hardened to people. To him people are cruel and strange, and the world more so. He wants a world without people and without pain. Wild boy wants a wide-open place, green and bright, with freedom from people. He wants not so much for himself, but for the girl. For his happiness depends on hers, without her; there is nothing.
The girl leaves the little boy in a cave of rubble, where his small body is protected from the wind and from view. Then she goes out in search of food. No plants will grow in this parched soil; no animals roam though the ash. The girl finds a dead man, with a loaf of bread clutched between his hands. The dead man’s sightless eyes stare across the ground, his mouth has swung open in death. The girl is afraid. She knows of the sin it is, to take from a dead man. She pauses; watching the dead man for movement, then plucks the bread from his hands. If there were punishment, it would be inflicted on her and not the little boy.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

This book has 14 comments. Post your own now!

DarkEyes said...
Beautiful! The storyline I liked the most was Alexandria's. I love how she struggles through hardship and horror, and eventually comes upon a good ending to her story, presumably. (I kind of wish it would be clearer there) Soldier boy's story made me cry in the end, and was beautifully described. The general seems to have gotten what he deserved, with his gluttony and his uncaringness for human lives, although the officer's uncaringness for him seems cruel. With the general's dau... (more »)

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
This is really good. You're very good ad describing backgrounds and characters and giving premises.

manga_maniac said...
This was fantastic, it's 11pm, i'm exausted, yet i just had to read this straight through . I loved how the stories came together at the end. Really spectacular :)

CautionwetPaint said...
This was an amazing read! Seriously awesome job! Again I must say the way you write has me imagining it all in my head like movie, or tv or something! :) Granted there were some minor spelling and grammar, and there were some parts where you could use pronouns and actions to describe the person rather then saying their name and giving a few details. You know? But anyway the story was riveting, amazing job. it was a powerful story and it was very real. Nothing cliche about it :) This deserves a 5... (more »)

AnimaCordis replied...
Dec. 29, 2011 at 5:35 am
THANK U i was so worried about it being cliche!!

SN3RD said...
This keeps readers reading! Great Job! Extraordinary! Wanna come check me out and read or rate Hunter's Point or Perspective?

IceFox416 said...

I loved this! Very emotional, yet not sappy. It really is a good story about the aftermath of war. My only suggestions are: Maybe give the girl or a few of the other charecters a name? I think it would bring out how things were for the girl before the war, and how she changed from the innocent girl she once was. But other than that and some minor grammer/spelling mistakes, this was great! I'd definately buy it if it was a book. But I'd also like to see the plot lines tied together a bit more,... (more »)

kingofwritersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

This is a really powerful story--I loved it! I'd give it a 5/5 for sure!

There were a few things you should work on. Watch out for grammar and spelling issues whenever you write a story, but other than that, it was great!

Keep up the good work! :)

Emiri said...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:38 am

This is something i'd epect to be in a book. I like how you put it in present tense, and the multiple story lines taking pllace in the same setting. I really enjoyed readng this. K)

LifesIllusion said...
Wow! You write like no one i have ever seen before. You write with such utter detail and th am amazing part is that it was all in 3rd person. It's always so much harder to write in this way for me but you have had practice with it obviously! Also, you should keep this forever. When you are old and your opinions on war will differ, it would so cool to go back and read this writing of yours!!! All i can say is that this story inspires me even though i got confused a few times. Definitely 5/5 stars... (more »)

AnimaCordis replied...
I can't find your work! i can only find your favorite work by others! Could you send me a link or something?

applesauceHater said...
You inspire me!the way you use you words is incredible!!!!AMASING IMAGERY!!!!!I loved it!Also, I don't know if it's certain people or what, but 3rd person is usually hard to write in, i guess compared to 1 person, but you nailed it!!!One thing was I was confused about the time period, it might be cuz im just oblivous or something, i only remember a couple wars from russia. But that's probably due to my account, becaus you're just amasing. Loved the last sentence it was awesome, and loved how you... (more »)

AnimaCordis replied...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 4:49 am

Oh thank you! 

I meant from wehn the gemans invaded Russia, or rather tried to invade russia. I meant for the war to be farily ambiguous, as though it could really be any war. I was looking at war photos to try and grasp what it was like.

applesauceHater replied...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 6:40 am
cuz i was thinking of stollins rule and the persecution of old believers, but it quite didnt make sense to be that:) but ur right, it really wouldn't matter which war, there not that different from each other