Ainsley's Asylum

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next »

"She's Remembering"

“Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about dancing in the rain.”
This was definitely dancing in what seemed like a monsoon. In fact, rain would be a joy. Ainsley’s head hit the pillow, and enveloped herself in the diaphanous sheets. Metal springs jabbed against her back and sides, yet she found herself woozy, and ready to sleep.
Dreams took over from there.
“Morning, sleepy head.” Mara’s voice sounded serene.
“I didn’t sleep much.”
“No one ever does.” Mara replied with a weary smile.
“I could really use some coffee.” Ainsley told Mara. “Haven’t had it in years.”
“Neither have I.” Sighed Mara. “Anyways, your floor duty is soon.”
Ainsley jumped up.
“When?!” She asked with great enthusiasm
“The same as every other week. Don’t you remember?” Mara turned towards her.
“No, isn’t this the first week?” Ainsley cocked her head.
Mara eyed her suspiciously and hesitated to go back to folding some towels. Ainsley suffered from memory loss, and was breaking her robotic schedule she went through without knowing.
Ainsley moved her face to rest on the rusty window sill. A small tear glided down her cheek as memories rushed back into her mind all at once. Her head pounded with memories made her want to cry, but she was all out of tears. Her brain began to pound against the sides of her skull. The light blonde hair on her baby boy’s head, and her husband smiling at her while she plucked daffodils in the backyard for mother’s day all on a checkered picnic blanket. It was picture perfect. Her toddler held in both his hands a toy truck. Her husband grabbed her by the waist and held all three close.
“Ainsley? Are you alright?” Mara shook her awake. “Why do you keep falling asleep?”
“Painful memories help me fall asleep.” Ainsley answered groggily, still drunk with sorrow. “Where are they?”
Mara shifted uncomfortably. A secret lingered in her eyes, begging to fall from her mouth like a tear.
“He visited you last week.” She replied after a few minutes.
“He- as in... My husband?” Ainsley stuttered.
“Yes, your husband.” Mara looked at Ainsley in pity.
“And my baby boy?” Ainsley had tears in her eyes.
“Ainsley-”
“What happened to my baby boy?!” Ainsley yelled at her, gripping the sides of her comforter sweating in anger. She knew what had happened, but she still needed someone to tell her; she needed someone to be angry with.
Mara sat down next to her. “Ainsley, he died. He had leukemia when he was born.”
“Where’s... Where’s my husband?”
Mara got up and moved towards the door, but paused right before she signaled the guards guarding the room.
“Living in the same house as before,” Mara replied before she left the room, “Floor duty.”