Brother vs Brother | Teen Ink

Brother vs Brother

By uraloser BRONZE, Eaton, Colorado
uraloser BRONZE, Eaton, Colorado

Do or do not, there is no try- Yoda

Author's note:

I've always loved history, and a debate about the civil war made me want to write about it more. Its still a controversy in American society, the causes, and I wanted to explore it more.

I barely surviv’ad Chancellorsville. A terrible war thisn been. Truly the deaths of all these Americans isn’t worth it. It isn’t worth freeing the slaves, that’s for sure. We lost a mighy heap of men at that battle. Our boys ran into battle to be gunned down like strawmen, fallin’ like paper. They exploded in red, spreading everywhere and not a thing to do to help em’. No such thing as green grass on that day, it was all painted red with boys in blue. We neva stood a chance. Mighty a bad time, I do say.
I be wishin’ I was still on the farm, throwin’ hay and takin’ care of the animals.  Me and my brother, Alan, used to shoot bottles on the fences and if we were lucky we shoot a bird too. He almost never missed, he was quite the sharpshooter. I remember he shot a coyote once right in the eye like nothin’. I liked it much more than this war stuff. No dyin’ on the farm cept for birds, just relaxin’ and workin’ with the animals and what not. I received a letter from my brother not too long ago as a matter of fact, telling me what he’s been up to. Says he’s been working on a farm picking cotton but mainly overseein’ some slaves. Says he whipped them’s a couple times when they’ve been real bad. Thisn’ here is why we fightin’ this war. Cause of people like him, who thinks the negro are lesser to the white man, which they kinda is. I don’t believe they should be slaves, but they sure shouldn’t be around us whites. We ought to have separate societies, or we can take ‘em back to Africa or wherever they came from.
Gotta say my backbone sure has been rubbin’ my belly. I am mighty hungry for some meat or some warm bread. The food we been eatin’ is terrible. I mighty think I got sick from some of it, cause I had a very bad case of diarrhea. What would make me feel better is if we had some of my mama’s cookin’. I’d love me some of that pork soup that she would make real good. I guess salted beef and hardtack will have to do.
This is our second day in a town called “Gettysburg.” First day we lost in the town so we moved back a bit. My head nearly got blown off by a cannon! We’s at the bottom of some hills now, and I see them coming. General says we gots to make a stop here or they gon keep goin’ Noth and we could lose this war. That’s all fine with-
“ERN! We a moving back, let's get goin!” said McCuller. “RETREAT! RETREAT! GET BACK MEN!”
I turn’d, gun over my shoulder, and ran as quick as my brother when Pa was gonna give him a lickin’ for when he shot our window. The Confederates sure had came close, they started to shoot. Bullets flyin’ past me, I see some men fallin’. We headed up to the hills, and I turned to get ready to give em’ what for. The gunshots kept rangin’ in my ear, and I kept dazing in an’ out. I attempted to load my gun but struggled to stop from shaking. Finally I got a shot in and turned to fire. They was chargin’, there must have been thousands. I took a good shot I think, and got a confederate in his left knee I believe. He fell down lookin’ hollarin’ but I couldn't hear him over the shootin’.

McCuller turned and shouted, “ERN! See dat there man on that building? He's picking off men left n’ righ!Try to sneak back into the town n’ take him out!”
“Yessir, can I not just shoot him from here?”
“You do what you're told Ern, get going!”
I took off far right away from the battle, bullets tryin’ to lick me left and right. I got into the town, it was mighty torn up. Blue and gray laying everywhere, blood running the streets. I snuck up on the man on the roof, he was an ‘mazing shot. He sorta looked familiar.
I got closer and closer until I thought I had a good look at him. He was young whelp, younger than me for sure. It couldn't be. Looked exactly like my brother, but he shouldn't be here.
“Alan! Alan! Is that you?!”
He looked puzzled and stood up. “No ones ‘posed to be ‘ere righ now! Who goes der?”
“It's me Alan, Ernest! It's me!” I shouted. I began to tear slightly, but held it back and waited.
“Ernest? What is you-” a bullet flew in and struck him in the arm
“ALAN! NO!” I screamed as I ran as fast as a horse bit by a rattlesnake. A makeshift ladder on the side of the building was there, and I climbed up it as fast as I could.
“DON'T YOU DIE ON ME! GOD AIN'T TAKING YOU TODAY!”
“I-I-I’m fine. Git me to a doctor.”
“Get on my shoulders. I’ll carry you down!”
I carried him down the ladder, nearly fallin’ off almost every step.
“Over yonder, past the end of the town is our doctors.”
It was a long walk over there, I had to drop him three times. I ripped some of his clothing and tied it around the injury too. We eventually got to the tents behind Confederate lines.
“Whats dis Yankee doin’ here? Put your hands up where you stand, boy,” said one of them.

“This man here, he’s my brother and he needs medical assistance NOW!”
“Why do you have him?”
“I was told to kill him but I done recognized him and he got shot while I tried to talk to him.”
“Put him on the table and we get a doctor in here soon. You’re coming with me.”
“No I ain’t, I stayin right here with my brother.”
He aimed his gun at me again. “You ain’t got no choice.”
I started walkin’ with him but he hit me on the back of my head with his gun and I was out. I woke up in a chair, tied up with more Confederates poitin’ their guns at me. A man sat at a table lookin’ mighty weird.
“What’s goin’ on here? I was with my brother and now I-”
“You stand trial for the illegal injuring of Alan Whitmore. Yesterday at 12 o’clock you brought him here, injured, and says you rescued him. Well, he’s out and we don’t believe it. We got your gun that you left, and examined it to tell if it had been used. It checks out.”
“You think I’d shoot my own brother?”
“It is believed you didn’t know that he was, and only did when you went up to execute him.”
“I’d never do that, I knew it was him before I shot him.”
“Explain your gun.”
“Before I was tasked with killing him, I was fightin’ like any other soldier in the Union Army.”
“So you confess to killin’ other men?”
“I didn’t kill nobody.”
“We have a witness to test to your crimes.”
A men also sitting at the table stood up. I had never seen him.
“Yeah he, he shot me in the leg while we was chargin. Got me right in the leg, survived by hiding behind a dead cow.”
“What do you say, uh, soldier?”
“I didn’t shoot my damn brother.”
“Suspended until your supposed ‘brother’ wakes up. If he does not, and dies, to be hanged immediately. You are to remain in a set quarters. Dismissed.”

“Get up, get up!” A soldier rushed behind me and tried to get me up.
“I’m still tied up,” I replied. “Forget or somethin’ while you were fiddlin’ sticks with your friends?”
“QUIET YANK!” He started to untie me and pushed me out of the seat. “Let me show you to your quarters, ‘boy.’”
We walked to the outside of the camp to a small tent. Two Confederates stood outta it, lookin’ mighty angry at me. “Get inside their nicely.”
I went in and lied on the makeshift bed. Didn’t have much else to do. One of the solderis walked in-
  “You don’t leave unless we tells you to, you don’t walk around unless we tells you to, you don’t-”
“Shut it.”
He walked out, grabbed a plate of what looked like some hardtack, and walked out. I munched on them and laid down.
When it was night I snucked out of my tent, and tried to sneak around. The two guards were out, guns just lyin’ there. I took both of them, hid one behind my tent, and took some ammo out of his top pocket. I went from tent to tent, till I found my brother’s.
“Alan, Alan, you awake?” I whispered to the tent.
“Ern is that you?”
“Brother, we gotta leave right now. They want to execute me cause they thinks I shot you.”
“Didn’t ya shoot me? Thoughts you did.”
“Al, if you thinks I shot you, then you-”
“STOP RIGHT THERE BOY!” shouted someone in the distance.
Someone was running towards from way behind me. “MOVE AND YOU DIE!”
“Ern, kill em.”
I loaded my gun, with no hesitation. I shot and fired in the direction of where I heard, and heard the shout of death. “SHOTS FIRED IN THE CAMP! GIT YOUR GUNS!”
“Ern, I can walk. Not fast, but I can keep up. I knows where the horses is, follow me.”
We went out and around all the tents, going in and out. Alan hobbled along, but he went fast enough. Finally we got to the horses.
“I sees them movin’ in the dark. SHOOT! SHOOT! SHOOT!”
Shots started firin’ at us. We needed to go now. “GET ON THE HORSE ERN!”
I shot my gun two more times in the direction, and mounted the horse. Alan got on behind me, and I whipped her and we took off. Shots still firin’ at us, glowing yellow flyin’ past us like shootin’ stars. It didn’t matter now, we was safe.
“Ern, take us home.”
“Sure thing brother.”