George W. Carver High | Teen Ink

George W. Carver High

June 3, 2016
By Andromeda56567, Franklin, Wisconsin
More by this author
Andromeda56567, Franklin, Wisconsin
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Jennifer:
(angry tone of voice)
Let’s go girls! I can’t hear your cheer! We have a game tonight. Denise! Get your arms up!

Denise:
(Thinks to self)
My arms are up! I can’t extend them any farther.


Jennifer:
Denise! Would you cheer louder! I know that big black voice of yours can yell louder than that!

Denise:
(walks off yard stage right)

Jennifer:
Denise! We don’t have time for this. We only have 4 hours to perfect this cheer!

Denise:
(walks over to Jennifer)
I’ll cheer. On one condition.

Jennifer:
And that would be?

Denise:
(Squints eyes and leans toward Jennifer)
If you stop over exercising the fact that I’m black.

Jennifer:
(steps back)
Fine.

(Girls continue cheering)
(James appears, upstage left. Walks diagonally toward downstage right)

James:
(Shouts to Denise)
Hey Denise! You lookin’ fine baby girl!

Denise:
(Get super excited, shouts back)
Hey James! Baby, why aren’t you warming up for the game tonight?

James:
(Shouts)
I just wanted to see your pretty face!

Jennifer:
(frustrated)
Girls, I guess practice is over thanks to Denise. If one girl can’t pay attention, then none of you can. I will see all of you tonight at the game. Half hour early to run the routine.

(Girls scatter offstage, James puts arms around Denise. The two walk off stage right)

At Rise: James and Denise are sitting on a wooden park bench downstage left. Trees are scattered amongst the stage to the left and right of them. The stage is well lit.

James:
(smiles at Denise)
So how was practice babe?

Denise:
It was alright. Jennifer is still defining me by my color

James:
She only defining you by your skin color because she’s jealous of you. Don’t let her get to you.
(Kisses Denise on cheek)

Denise:
You know that isn’t true. She’s captain ‘cause she’s white.

James:
I always think of the best, Denise. And so should you.

Denise:
(brushes off skirt)
I guess you’re right.

 

James:
C’mmon. Let’s head to my place. You just need to cool off a bit. I’ll even make you some food so my baby girl won’t be hungry later on.

(James grabs Denise’s hand. The two stand up and walk offstage left)

At Rise: Cheerleaders are in locker room, sitting on benches downstage left. Lockers in background. Stage is well lit.

Jennifer:
(speaks in loud voice)
Alright girls, we have to be on the field in 10 minutes. Finish up your makeup and put your ponytails high up on your head. Your bow should be straight. We’re going to win this thing. Where is Denise?

(other cheerleaders whisper to each other)

Denise:
(firmly)
I’m back here. I’ve been here for awhile now.

(silence)

Jennifer:
(tapping her foot, puts hands on hips)
Denise, one more snappy remark out of you, and you won’t be on tonight. I don’t care how much James wants you to try your best. You better cheer loud.

Denise:
I gotchu, Jennifer.


Jennifer:
Ladies, we have now 5 minutes. Let’s grab our pom-poms and show them what we’ve got! Head out these doors, and sit in your rows.

(Jennifer leads girls out, Denise and Cynthia trail behind)

Cynthia:
Denise, don’t take her s*** so seriously. She’s just a b****. She’s just jealous that you’re dating James.

Denise:
Cynthia, how can she be jealous? He’s black, I’m black. Whites don’t date blacks. That’s how us blacks get in trouble.

Cynthia:
(tightens ponytail and lightly whips hair around)
Girl, we got this. Let’s show her who’s boss.

Denise:
(additude)
I guess...

(Cynthia and Denise walk offstage right.)

At rise:
Football field back drop, goal posts on left and right side of stage. Football players in gear standing upstage. Cheerleaders run from stage left cheering and jumping toward center stage. Cheerleaders get into position. Few spotlights center stage, focused on Cheerleaders.

Cynthia (to Denise):
Hey, just cheer your loudest and be happy. This is for James, not Jennifer.

Cheerleaders:
(Cheerleaders move in sync with each other, shaking pom poms)
George Carver Bulldogs!
We’re the best and that no lie!
Put your hands up in the air, and Cheer for the Bulldogs!
Wooooooooo!!!!!!!

(Cheerleaders run off stage right, Denise and Cynthia are left on stage. They sit on bleachers next to each other. The game has ended.)

Enter James, stage right.

James:
Hello my lovely lady! You did fabulous out there! All I could hear is your cheer.

Cynthia:
Alright, girl. I’m headed out. See you later!

Denise:
Bye, Cynthia. See you at practice tomorrow.

Cynthia:
(gets up and walks off of bleachers. Walks off stage right.)
Girl, there’s no practice tomorrow! It’s Saturday.
Denise:
So how do you think you did? I mean, we won, but…

James:
(interrupts)
We did pretty well, at least I think.
(puts arm around Denise)
Baby, whatchu wanna do tomorrow? Maybe I’ll swing by your place?

Denise:
Maybe… That would be cool.
James?

James:
What’s up, sugar bee?

Denise:
You know I love you, right?

James:
(Kisses Denise)
Yes, I sure do.

At Rise: A classroom, Monday morning. Two lines of 4 desks in center stage. James sits in desk closest to downstage left. Denise sits in desk closest to downstage right. Two desks between them. Kimberly and Jennifer sit in second row, between Denise and James. Well lit stage.

Kimberly (to Jennifer):
Hey Jennifer, after school wanna get our nails done?

Jennifer:
Whatever.

(Kimberly and Jennifer talk quietly)

Denise (to James):
Hey, so last night was great.
(smiles brightly)

James:
I knew you’d like my special touch, my rose.

Jennifer:
So, Denise. After your performance at the game, we’ve decided to kick you off the team. Sorry.

Denise:
I was practically the only one cheering! There wasn’t anything wrong with it.

James:
(starts to get angry)
Yeah, Jennifer. How about you work on the rest of your team and stop trying to kick her off the team because she’s black and better than you!

Jennifer:
(gets angry, has a little sass to her voice)
How about you play better so we wouldn’t have to put so much effort into cheering.

James:
(has angry, feisty tone in voice)
If that’s what you think as the head cheerleader, then you don’t deserve to be on the team. You know, Jennifer, you’re gonna run into some trouble if you keep acting like that. Your ugly little white ass won’t be saved once you come to our streets...

Denise:
(interrupts, yells at James)
James, calm down!

James:
(calms down a little bit, but still has an underlying anger in his voice)
I’m sorry, baby girl. But if this is about white supremacy, then I’m gonna say something. You don’t deserve how she treats you. King jr. ain’t fighting for our rights just to be hated on in the end. Got anything to say to me or my girl?


Jennifer:
(sits in silence, not knowing what to say)

James:
I thought so. Now get the hell outta here, and don’t you EVER come near me or my girl again. C’mmon, baby. Let’s roll out.
(James stands up, helps Denise up, puts arm around her, and walks off stage right)



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.