Home > Novel (Fiction) > Historical Fiction > Behind the Barbed Wire~ The thoughts and feelings of a WW1 soldier

Behind the Barbed Wire~ The thoughts and feelings of a WW1 soldier

Vika_Hope
Summary:

It is not simple words in a textbook.  It is not "oh what a shame."  It is not a pillar for conflict.  Not just words on a page.  History, is what defines our future.  War.  A topic I have wanted to cover for the longest time.  I've always hesitated, when there are so many areas to write about.  However, this short novel is extremely important to me, and I feel deeply for the main character.  Rarely can the average 21st century teenager empathize with historical figures.  I believe it is because of just that: they are just figures to us, pawns in a game that led to a victory, or a loss.  Plain and simple.  Now I do not blame my generation for that.  How could they possibly know the full story, if it isn't even given to them in history class?  The human race's worst mistake when it comes to historical figures is this very notion: We learn from history so we don't repeat our mistakes.  Now, I can garuntee you, very few of your peers are going to be involved in a civil war, or a political scandal.  What very few of us realize, is how the small details are so very important.  We can all relate to stories better, (and learn from them) when more human emotion, and detail is given.  The tiny, and large details are what help us learn from our mistakes.  If I told you America broke free from Britain, but they are allies today, you would know it happened, but you would not know why.  So, if in the future, if a disagreement occurs between you and another individual, maybe your conflict resolution skills wouldn't be top notch, and you would make the same mistake (on a smaller scale) and act like an arrogant controling country.  That is an extremely simple example, but once you journey into the complexity of the concept, it is mind blowing.  Without further ado, I give you the true story, of... a World War One American soldier.

This book has 3 comments. Post your own now!

Halloimjane said...
Feb. 25 at 9:32 am
hmm. gloomy, but cool gloominess

Mayday paradefanatic said...
Feb. 25 at 9:30 am
Interesting

Bookdiva said...
Feb. 7 at 10:14 am
This is an incredible book. Reading this, I feel as if I have time-traveled to this place & time. Keep writing!!!