The Making of a Nazi | Teen Ink

The Making of a Nazi

By Sportsgirl1, Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Sportsgirl1, Cedarburg, Wisconsin

Author's note:

I originally wrote this story as a prequel to “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.” My intention was to show how an ordinary person could have been influenced to make choices that are hard to understand. I know that for me and most others the idea of going into the Nazi Party is hard to understand. Hopefully through this story the reader can start to get an idea of why people might have chosen this path.

Thinking about becoming a commandant of the Nazi Army has become a regular part of my life. Despite my young age of 18, Adolf Hitler’s words and arguments are opening my eyes to the reason why Germany is having such big problems, the Jews. Hitler’s plan to separate the Jewish people from everyone else in order to free Europe from the sins of the Jews, seems logical. The Führer must be onto something, I mean they don't even believe that Jesus was the son of God!
Unfortunately, my parents do not share my beliefs and continue to talk with their Jewish friends. The only thing my parents fail to realize is that we could be so much better off if the Jews were not keeping all their money to themselves, and stealing from hard working Christians, like my father.
When I first started believing in the views expressed by The Führer, I casually brought it up to my parents. They clearly showed how much they hated him.
“Thomas Andrew Adams!” scolded mother, “The Führer is the worst man alive! He is discriminating against our friends and neighbors. Even trying to close their businesses and steal from them!”
So from that night forward, I kept my feelings and opinions about Hitler hidden.
Every evening, after my parents fell asleep, I would quietly take the radio out from under my bed and listen to his speeches. They were very inspiring!  For the longest time I felt that Germany’s economy was getting worse. Listening to those radio broadcasts I was able to understand better the cause- Jews!! A couple of months ago, while listening to the radio, my father opened the door. I could tell by his disappointed expression, that he saw my passion for the Nazi Party was growing.  How could I not be influenced?! Hitler is helping create more jobs for the Germans and improving the economy.  Even though my parents look at me with disgrace, in my heart I know they still love me. However, I have begun making a “To Do List” for myself, which includes moving to Munich and joining the Nazi Party. If everything goes as planned, I will become a soldier, gain the trust of the leaders and fulfill my dream of becoming commandant of the best army ever.
There are still some days when I have hesitations about discriminating against Jewish people. As a young child in elementary school, my friend Shmuel and I would play together all the time. We used to think it would be cool and macho to go on top of the slide and jump off the play set. That was until the one time my jump was so high that I hit my head on a metal pole on the playground. From then on we weren’t allowed to act like “acrobats” even though we still did it sometimes.
Elementary school was great! My first crush was a blond hair, brown eyed girl named Sarah. Chasing her on the playground was my way of flirting. That was fun. Even though, I loved all of my friends no matter what their religion, I know joining the Nazi Party would benefit me and my family.
For now, I will stick with my plan. I have my “To Do List” all over my room, accompanied by pictures of the Führer and drawings of the Nazi flag. Might as well since my parents know about my passion. Plus it annoys them and I’m 18 being annoying and obnoxious is what everyone my age does!
To get money to go to Munich and find a place to stay, I have found myself a job as a farmer and a baker. To be honest, baking is MUCH better than farming. You get to sneak bread out, and don’t have to be outside, all sweaty. Plus, you get to interact with more people.

It took a little over a year, but I finally have enough money to get a train ticket and a place to stay. Now to make a letter informing the office that he should expect me coming on the 30th of June next year.
Waiting for the thirtieth took a lot of patience, so I start working out more to become fit. You must be fit to be a soldier. Working on my speed, strength, stamina, agility, etc.. was hard and time consuming.  The only reason I kept going was because many people want to be a part of the Nazi Party and they are fast and strong too. Making sure that I am bigger and stronger than the other men is the key.
The 8th has arrived (which is when the train ticket is scheduled for.) I want lots of time between moving and joining the Nazi Party. Getting on my bike and heading for the station was exhilarating. Readying myself for the Nazi Party, I boarded the train. Just then, I notice the face of a woman sitting right across from me. It is Sarah from elementary school! She has become even more beautiful than before.
Hopefully she doesn't remember that time in high school, during our junior year, when Dan embarrassed me in front of her. Dan was the youngest boy of a Jewish family living a few towns over. He somehow found out that I liked her, (not that it was that hard to tell) and he brought me over to her. He then announced, “Oooh your girlfriend is here. What a perfect time to show her the act we have been working on!” Knowing that his words could only mean trouble, I tried to get away. Unfortunately, I was too late. Dan pushed me, took grab of me arm, and pulled me towards him with his fist waiting to go into my stomach. Gasping for air, Dan pulled me up and kicked me in the shin. He did much, much more than this, but it is too painful to think about.
Snapping back to reality, I tapped Sarah on the shoulder. She turned around and it appeared as though a light bulb had went off in her head. She had recognized me.
“Hello Thomas, long time no see,” Sarah said, “Where are you headed off to?”
I told her where I was going, Munich.
“What a coincidence I am going there too!”
The whole rest of the ride we caught up with each other. We established that after unpacking we would meet up for coffee.
“We have now reached Munich,” mumbled a voice. Getting out of the train Sarah and I observed soldiers and an occasional Nazi flag. We separately quickly, heading to our apartments to unpack. Riding my bike to the coffee shop felt… different. It wasn’t at all like at home. Kind of like it was more secure. Our home didn’t have this change yet. I arrived more than 15 minutes before Sarah. It was a very nice date. Basically we shared our story of what happened since school. It turns out Sarah came here to get away from her parents and start a new life. I told her I did the same, but never told her my plan about the Nazi Party. I feel like if I told her she wouldn't necessarily agree with it right away. Plus I just got to get to know her again and I don’t want to ruin that.
Shortly after our first meeting at the coffee shop, I decided to propose to Sarah. I knew it was a little soon, yet also knowing that with my plans we would most likely be moving a lot and I wanted her with me.  Sarah said “yes,” and now it is official that we are engaged. Of course, I hadn’t yet told Sarah about my plans with the Führer. Despite her initial hesitation, Sarah agreed that taking a position in the army could help with resources. Meanwhile I have still been training and looking more fit than ever. Sarah has moved in with me and occasionally I’ve written to my parents telling them how I’m doing.

June 30th has arrived and I am on my way to boot camp. When I first arrived, it took a while to get through security. As I reached the front door to enter the Nazi building, there were two guards who stopped me and confirmed my paperwork. I was led through twist and turns until I we arrived at a room that looked like an office. The clerk behind the desk checked that all my direct ancestors born since 1750 were not Jewish. This was done by looking at my baptism paperwork.
“It’s to make sure you are a pure,” explained the man behind the desk.
Of course I knew I was, but I let them check anyway. Their confirmation allowed me to proceed to the next rotation. Once more, the guards guided me around different corners. I tried to remember them all. Left, left, straight, right, left, right, right, straight.  Many twists and turns that included passing by a door labeled, Commandant Officer. I couldn't help but think this was the position I wanted my whole life. Maybe one day I will meet the commandant and eventually take his place, but for now I'll settle for becoming a top grade soldier. We finally entered one of the rooms.
“Who is this?” demanded the trainer.
“Sir, this is Tom Adams, a new recruit!”
The trainer gave a nod of acknowledgement and then boomed in a demanding voice,“What are you doing here?”
A couple moments of silence passed as I gathered myself.
“Well sir, I came here to join the Nazi Party.” I could feel myself shaking.
“ Well obviously! What I want to know is why you believe you should be given the privilege to join? What makes you different from the people I reject?”
I thought for a second. “Well sir, ever since I was a kid, I have wanted to be a part of the best army in the world - the Nazi Party! I knew this was the place for me.”
Of course, I left out the part about wanting to be the commandment because he might think I was trying to take over or something.
“Also, in order to join, I disobeyed my parents beliefs, worked two jobs, and left my family to move to Munich. Throughout all of this, I have been training my butt off.” I ended with a little puff of my chest and a flex of my muscles to try and look bigger.
“Before you get accepted, we will need to evaluate your skills,” explained the man after what seemed like forever.
“Of course sir.”
First test: weight lifting. I’ve gotta say this one I was gonna nail. Starting off with a warm up of 100 pounds, I kept adding and adding more weight. I was sure my skills would be better than the others.
Second test: running a mile. I’m pretty good at cardio too. Once I finished, the guard told me my time. I thought back to the last time I ran a mile, and realized I ran one minute three seconds and thirty two milliseconds faster. I was on fire and totally ready for the next test! Turns out my skills were definitely going to take a dive.
Third test: shooting and aiming. Don’t get me wrong, I have great aim, but NOT with a gun. I’m embarrassed to admit that I’ve never used, held or even touched a gun. This should be interesting. When I got to the table, the guard told me that the gun was already loaded. It took more than 5 minutes to become confident enough get the gun in my hand and accurately aim.
“Bang!”
It went off louder than a firework. I knew guns were loud, but I didn’t know it was an earsplitting volume! Though I should probably get used to that. Unfortunately, I missed and the bullet went way off to the left. With a goal of correcting my original mistake, I aimed a little more to the right this time and fired. “Click.” I forgot to reload. Examining the gun more closely, I saw my mistake and correctly loaded the weapon. Then, I aimed again a bit to the right.
“Bang!”
As my ears started to ring, I realized that I forgot to prepare myself for the noise again. Thankfully, I hit the target dummy in the arm. Just as I started to reload again, “It’s on to the fourth test!” yelled the guard
Fourth test:  This involved charts, note taking, and staying organized. I am not good at any of those things to be honest. As I said, my parents weren’t the wealthiest, so they couldn’t afford the best education. Fortunately, every day I would stay after school and ask for extra lessons. I do remember learning something about graphs and charts and stuff. I desperately need to remember this information, but it was like, seven years ago!
When I finished my, “test” and checked it over ten times, I made sure that this was the best possible work. Then, I handed the paper back to the guard. He briefly looked it over and led me to the hallway again. Out in the hallway, the main trainer whispered something to the guard and I was led outside. I failed! This was the most disappointing moment of my life. As I began the long walk home, they signaled me to come out back. What was going on? Quickly, I marched back to the guard. He led me to an enormous obstacle course.
There's a wall decline with the rope, barbed wire we have to crawl under, weights, etc. This will be the longest and most tiring obstacle course of my life. Without even knowing it, I noticed I'm rubbing my hands together staring down the course. “I will conquer this course,” I think to myself. It looks like I'm getting ready for a race. When the gun went off in my head I sped up the rope with no legs.  I dove under the barbed wire and flew through the course, even being able to pass some people who started way before me.
After the race, I am tired but still wanting to go out again. It gave me a great rush. Before the soldier in charge could say anything I sprinted back to the starting point.
“It’s time to get your uniform,” boomed the man.
This is it! The moment I've been waiting for. I've worked up a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get here. Even risked my relationship with my parents, the only family I have, just to be in Munich with the Nazi party. I know in the long run there will be no doubt that it was worth it, but for now there is a question in the back of my mind.
The uniforms are in a big walk-in closet the size of two master bedrooms combined. It does make sense because there are a lot of people who are and want to be soldiers. He asked me my size of shirt and I tell him that I'm an adult large. I have to admit I looked pretty sharp,. Next, we went to a place that looked like an office. Tables were set up with lists and schedules. People were going in and out everywhere. The officer that assisted me with my uniform, walked me over to a table and I followed.
“We have added a soldier, his name is Thomas Andrew Adams,” the officer said to the man behind the counter. He handed over a schedule with times and days to come to the academy. There is so much excitement in me right now that I can barely contain myself. The only negative in the schedule is that there will barely be any time for Sarah and the other daily things that I do. But, I will make the best of the time I have on my one day off of per week.
The day was almost done and we were going to have a graduation ceremony. I couldn’t believe my eyes, the Führer was standing at the end of the line, shaking the hand of every soldier that joined this past month. I was on the opposite side of where Führer started. As Adolf Hitler went down the first row, I noticed him holding something behind his back. It kind of looked like a pill case. As if that wasn't suspicious enough, his hand started shaking. I was at a state of shock! Maybe it was due to the weather. Munich was colder that day, and the uniforms weren't too thick. Maybe Hitler was just cold and didn't want to show it. It probably wasn't anything. This amount of people wouldn't follow a drug addict.
The soldiers in line appeared nervous, but no one would dare to wipe off their sweat. That would only draw attention to ourselves.
Hitler approached my side of the field. I had paid close attention to the other soldiers, noticing that they all gave him a firm shake and a Nazi salute. I copied all of the other men and Hitler seemed pleased. Looking around, I noticed the men further up in line looked scared and concentrated on what other people were doing as well.
Finally after what seemed like five hours the “assembly” was finish.
“That’s it for today. You men can go home,” informed the trainers all in unison.
All of the soldiers left in a crowd, while wiping our sweat off. Coming home, Sarah was there to kiss me hello. Telling her I made it in was cool. I also told her that I had learned many different things. Sarah seemed very excited for me. I showed her my uniform and my schedule. She was disappointed to see the hours. To cheer her up, I told her that I get a day off every week which lifted her spirits a little bit.

It is on to training. My first class (and longest) is charts, graphs and other math components. I know that once I start learning I will remember everything from the past. This class is one hour and 15 minutes long. After this class, I supposedly will be learning strategies on how to show no mercy and to be tough. Although I don't like having to learn about graphs, this class is even worse. I would much rather be nice to people than to show no mercy or emotion. However, my purpose is to be a part of an organization that is doing better in the world and will help me provide for my family.
There are training classes, command classes, shooting classes, hand to hand combat classes, building classes and a time to get to know my fellow soldiers during meal times. The first person that I got to know was my trainer Dave. Since I will be with him a lot, my plan was to get to know Dave. I have learned that he has been in the Nazi Party for one and a half to two years, and his wife and three children live in Munich as well. He has one girl and two boys. Their names are Annabelle, Carl and John. It must be hard having no time for your wife and three kids. I thought not having time with just my fiance was bad. I can't imagine missing my kids too! Dave then asks me about myself.
“My girl was the first person I ever liked going back all the way to kindergarten,”  I told Dave. “She has golden hair, brown eyes and is the most beautiful woman in the world. In high school it seemed like I could never impress her. There was a Jewish bully who would embarrass me in front of her.” I continued.
Just as I started to share more details, the trainer commanded,
“Get up!”
All of the men hurried out. Feeling good about my talk with Dave, I headed to my command class. Basically, we sat and learned about all the commands before taking a brief quiz. After that, we stood up in a row and practiced the commands. Some of them included, “Up! March! On!”  Those were all pretty self explanatory.
During this training, I realized how serious you have to be when the officers come into your eyesight. For example, some people laughed at a joke during training and they were locked out of the building by the officer. After they left, the last thing remembered hearing was a crack and then a scream. I never saw them again. They either quit, got hurt, or worse, but we know better than to ask. We heard murmurs in the lunchroom, but nothing for sure.
Throughout these tiring and anxious days, I often thought about if I had ever left the Nazi Party how my parents and Sarah would react. Would my parents be proud? Or would they be ashamed that I left in the first place? I’ve written letters to my parents, but they keep coming back unopened. The last time I heard from them, they told me that my father lost his job! I've been here long enough to know that the Jews are the reason behind this. All of it! They’re the wealthy ones. They aren't letting anybody have their money. Just thinking about them sickens me! It's their fault we are losing so many jobs, including my father’s job! Even if it wasn't my family I would hate them all the same, but now they made it personal. I loath them, despise them, and want to hurt them even more than ever.  
Adolf Hitler has shared with the members of the Nazi Party a plan to hold those filthy Jews responsible. We will have to be patient though. First, we will begin to collect names of the Jews.  This shouldn’t be too hard. We can stake out the temples and then use that to locate where they live. Then, we will have them mark their clothing with a Jewish star so we can identify them on the street. In the meantime, work camps will be built, kind of like prisons. Once we rid our country of all Jewish, people the depression will be over. While the camps are being built, we will create a place for the Jews to live.  Walls are going to be built around poorer parts of the city. Since the pure blood Germans will get a chance to take back their jobs, we will provide the Jews small portions of food and water.
Although I do not get into great detail, I did tell Sarah some of the future plans. I was surprised to see her mixed feelings. She seemed happy that the depression would be over and we could earn enough money to start a family, but she didn't know how she felt about about holding the Jews captive. I reminded her that the Jews were not real people.
“Yes they are Tom!” she would always say.
It's weird, but it’s like her eyes were telling me the whole story of what she was thinking and feeling. On one hand, it's good because then she can't keep secrets from me. However, seeing the disappointment in her face was a little upsetting. In order to distract her from the negative thoughts, I began to ask Sarah questions about our upcoming wedding. Sarah’s excitement about the wedding was obvious. Luckily, I have been getting paid more money with my job so I can give her everything she wants for our special day. She has to see that we have it pretty nice.
I have heard that if we make the “ghetto” (the part of the city that will hold the Jews)  then we will even get a chance to live in one of the houses that will be abandoned. I smile, already imagining the better life we will live.