Red Winter

Samantha N.
Red Winter
Summary: The year is 1958, and the tension between the US and the USSR is extremely high. Everyone around the world is in fear that the two powerhouse nations will one day just snap--sending the world into a biological mess. The whispers can be heard in every which direction, "The Soviets have a bomb." "The United States is doomed." "We will crush the Soviets." But, what people don't know is that a plan is already in the works--in the Soviet's favor.

Ruth is just a normal girl, trying to ignore everyone's whispers about the world. She has her own battles to fight--she has to protect her two younger siblings against their unstable mother, Rhonda, who is secretly fighting her battle with Munchhausen syndrome. She must fight against her mother's brutal murderous attempts to take their lives.

One day, the USSR finally gains some ground over the United States, breaking their way through the modern technology barrier. They have come up with a chemical that can massively infect people with TB. After the bombing, Ruth is taken away from her family by the USSR military, claiming that she is "infected". But, what they don't know, is that she isn't. Ruth fears for her little brothers and sister.

Upon arrival at the "lab", Ruth finds a USSR soldier who befriends her, and tries to help her escape. Can they make it in time?