Wars and Hope | Teen Ink

Wars and Hope

By gummybearbeezus, Narragansett, Rhode Island
gummybearbeezus, Narragansett, Rhode Island

Author's note: I was inspired to write this because I read an amazing book by Susanne Dunlap about Anastasia Romanov, the last Russian duchess and it contained a lot of background about World War I and I really love historical fiction so I thought that maybe I could write a story about a young girl in the opposite position as Anastasia and see how their worlds collide.

Chapter 1

So here I am hoping that my brother is going to come back and all I can think is one word. Maybe. My brother Rory is fighting in the war and my parents are scared straight. I’m really scared but I know how brave he is. Rory is a survivor. I know he wouldn't leave me completely. He was my best friend. When we were little, I was adopted and when our parents died, he took me under his wing. I had no one but him. All I had ever wanted was for someone to love me because my parents never did. Nobody but Rory did. So when he left, I was devastated, but now that I think about it, I shouldn't have been so worried. He has trained for this since he was eight years old. For eleven years now, he has decided he was going to fight. When we had his goodbye party, I locked myself in my room. I was a mess of a drama queen. Everyday when I got home from school, I went to my room. Every night, I would sit up and listen to what he said to my mom. But one night was the night I broke down.

“Are you sure you want to go through with this? It’s your last chance.” Mom.

“I’m positive. I need to. The country is counting on the army and the army is counting on me. I promised I would.”

“We’re all going to miss you. But you and I and Dad all know that Ariana isn’t going to sleep at all. She’s already a wreck and you haven’t even left yet. Imagine how that must be for her. She’s going to miss you more than the rest of us.”

“I know and I’m going to miss her the most. I should go talk to her.”

“I love you Rory and I’m totally confident that you can come home.”

I heard footsteps and through tears I saw Rory come in.

“I’m not going to act confident,” his voice cracked “because I know you. You’re strong. I’m going to miss you.”

A tear rolled down his cheek. At that I started sobbing.

“I know you have to go now but why did you enlist in the first place? We could still be together as a family. Kind of anyways.”

I don’t know. I just felt like I had to. For you. So Russia could be free. SO we could be free. So you could be free”

And like I was still a baby, he was rocking me in his lap.

“I love you, Rory.”

“I love you, too.”

***

When I woke up the next morning, Rory was still there.

“You stayed?”

“Oh, I guess. Do you want me to leave?”

“No. Stay. I’m gonna miss this you know.”

“Me too. But at least we still have now”

“At least”

And I fell back asleep.

***

I woke up to Rory shaking my shoulder.

“Come on you lazy bum. It’s noontime.”

“Shut up.”

And then I realized something.

“It’s tomorrow.”

Tears were now rolling down my face.

“Nonono. Don’t cry. I can’t let you cry.”

“But you’re leaving us!! How can I not cry?!?!”

“I don’t know.” Was all he said in reply.

“Rory, if you really want to go, remember this, I love you to the moon and stars and back again. I love you more than words can explain. I value you more than my own life. You took me in when no one else cared. Not mom, not dad. But now you’re leaving me, Aaron, Justin and Sara. WHen mom and dad abandoned us, you stayed with me. No matter how much of a brat I was. Because trust me, I know I was a brat after that. When Sara brought us home and they adopted Aaron, you stayed with me.So if you leave while you’re gone, I’ll go crazy. Write to me. If you stop, I’ll die. If you die, I die, okay?”

Now I was sobbing. I couldn’t control myself. When he left, I changed and went into his room with a surprise. He was packing up which was perfect. For the surprise I mean. Not me.

“Here, a family portrait. I don't need it half as much as you.” I held it out.

“Ariana. Are you sure?”

“Positive.” I sat down on his bed and cried.

***

I didn’t talk for the rest of the day. Night came and went while I was up tossing and turning. I was uncontrollably sobbing and shaking. I felt weak, vulnerable. I got out of bed and joined the world of the living. Outside I could hear bombs exploding. Well, the radio was right until so far.

“Oh no! Kids go to your room and get your boxes and comforters.”

I bolted down the hall and grabbed my stuff and an extra blanket. I ran back down to the basement and hid under my bed because I was shaking again Lack of sleep? Not likely. Anyways, our boxes were everything we wanted to make sure was salvaged from the war in case any of this actually happened. Well, here we are and it’s actually happening.

“What are we going to do? St. Petersburg is bombed. We have to find a way to be safe. Our house wasn’t actually constructed for war.”

The house shuddered.

“See what I mean?”

Rory spoke up.

“On the bright side, I’ll be here longer.”

“I guess that’s good.” said Aaron. He was so quiet when he said it you couldn’t tell he was happy at all.

“I guess,” I said. “it’ll sting when he leaves but it will be worse to have to wait and dread that day.” Count on me to show everyone the down side of the situation.

“But I don’t want my baby to go.” Of course Aleksandra Alina Notachelv had to say that.
And of course a bomb had to land on our house.

“Why Why Why Why Why Why Why?” Rory was next to me screaming at the ceiling.

“Rory,” I said calmly. “it’s okay. We have each other. A family. We’ll be okay.”

“Yeah, it’s alright. Everything up there is junk. we have all of the good stuff, right? Our family. And anything else we needed. Now, take all of the stuff to the basement, especially food. and get into the war zone. MOVE! Dad. Always making the best of things. When we get all of the food and our boxes into the war zone, I lay down on my cot and fell asleep.

***

I woke up to a body next to me.

“Rory?”

“Yeah. If I had one more chance with my little sister, I’m going to take it.”

I smiled even though he couldn’t see it.

“If you’re not going now, when are you going?”

“Honestly, I don’t think I’m going anytime soon. Excited?”

“Kinda. Although, I think I wanted to see you bravely fulfill you dream of being in the army.”

“I don't know if I want to leave you yet. We’ve been here for twelve years and I still don't know who they are. They are a dark mystery to me. Maybe one day we can figure David and Aleksandra out but I guess it’s a little too late.”

“I know that I love them so I feel safe. But I still need you you know. You’re all I had left. Of mom, or dad. Of my true my family. You know, we’re the mysteries. Not David and Aleksandra. I was thinking about it and I still don’t know who or where we came from.”

“Does it really matter that much to you. Like really matter?”

“Kinda. I’d like to know where I truly came from. I don’t like being a mystery. It’s difficult.”

I don’t either. But I have you and that’s all that matters. But I have also realized that everyone takes for granted what they have. They don’t know what they have until it’s gone. Do you know what I mean?”

“Yeah. I do.”

“Well,” I said trying to stay strong, “we have right now and we should enjoy it instead of taking it for granted. And depending on how Russia looks, this could be the last for a very long time.” Notice how I said trying to be strong. Inside I was dying. I was falling off of the edge of the world and never stopping. Ever. I’ll never reach the bottom. And I had nothing to hold onto to slow my fall. Just fallin fast but never stopping. Imagine that for a minute. “How long are you going to be gone?”

“Fourteen months.”

“So, you’ll be here after my thirteenth birthday? Fine, but I get your room.” I said trying to lighten up the mood.

“Under one condition, you clean it the day before I get back.”

“Fine.” I groaned.

“Ariana?”

“What?”

“If I leave you have to promise me something. You have to write to me.”

“I don’t think...I promise.”

***

I woke up in the morning alone.

“Ariana! Time to get up!!”

“Daad! Five more minutes!”

“Nope. Your breakfast is getting cold.”

So, I grudgingly got up. I looked at Rory’s bed. I was empty. No suitcase. No note. Nothing. I started uncontrollably shaking.

“Oh sweetie.” Mom’s gentle voice still couldn’t soothe me. Her touch didn’t snap me back to reality either. “He left this morning. We were all up. But, he wouldn;t wake you up.”

I couldn’t help myself. I collapsed into a heap.

***

When I woke up, I had everyone crowded around me. Everyone except for the person i cared for most, Rory. Tears were rolling down my face.

“He said he wouldn’t wake you up because he talked to you late last night. He didn’t think you would let him go.”

“Well you know what? He was right! I wouldn’t have let him go and you shouldn’t have either! I can’t believe you didn’t even try!” I don’t know why I was taking it out on them. it wasn’t their fault. I sounded like a spoiled brat. Like Anastasia the grand duchess. I was just in shock.

“Honey, we-”

“No! You didn’t try hard enough! He’s not here!” I was sobbing. “I didn’t want him to go.” I said quietly. “He was all I had left. Now he’s gone, too.”

I sat down and silently sobbed. When they walked away, Aaron sat down next to me.

“Hey.” He said quietly.

“Hi.”

“I tried. I really did. Tried to wake you up, tried to make him stay. I begged, I Pleaded. He was hesitant to go but, he went.”

“Aaron.”

“What?”

“I love you more than words can express.”

“I know.”

And I slept like a dead man.

***

I woke up in in the morning and I knew I had been crying. I suddenly had a flashback from when I was little. It was really strange and I don’t know how it happened. But nonetheless. It was still there.

It was a cold and dreary night. I was a year old. My parents had just died and Rory and I were abandoned. While I was sleeping, he took me out of bed and carried me outside. He walked me to the orphanage. When we got there, we went in and got rooms. When the police showed up asking questions, I sat huddling in a corner. I was like a wild animal just brought into captivity. Rory answered questions with the headmistress. The next day, we were up for adoption.

Then the memory kind of faded. I got out of bed and walked into the makeshift kitchen. My parents jumped up from their pillows and rushed at me to give me a hug.

“We love you baby. It doesn't matter if you were adopted or not. You’re ours.”

I hugged them and held back tears.

“I love you guys and I thank God you found us or we would still be there.”

“We were searching for two turtle doves. A pair.” Mom said with a smile.

Then I realized I was missing something.

“Where’s Aaron?”

“Still sleeping.”

“Okay, I’ll be right back.”

I ran to Aaron’s cot and sat down.

“Aaron, wake up. Please. We need to talk.”

Aaron rolled over onto his side and looked me in the eyes. It was like looking into a mirror except, it was looking inside at my heart. His eyes and face were blanketed with sorrow. Apparently I was crying at his facial appearances because he reached out and wiped a tear from my cheek. He reached out and hugged me. And the walls that I had standing around my heart from before came crashing down.

“It’s okay. I promise. He’s going to come back.But I swear this to you. I will never leave you. But the first thing we’ll do is write him a letter. When I found out he was enlisting, I started to save money for stamps. We have enough money to write to him every week for 2 years. And I sent him away with my stamp collection from my parents. We’ll make it through this. I promise.”

“Are you sure you can promise something like that with me. I’m a little bit vulnerable right now.”

Absolutely. I swear.”

This book has 1 comment.

karendankar said...
I am so happy to see you doing this!!!! YAY