Adrift | Teen Ink

Adrift

By nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming
nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Author's note: Adrift is back with a vengeance ya'll! I revamped it a bit. Any and all thoughts on my work would be greatly appreciated. I dedicate this one to my best friend Krystall, who kept me from taking a match to this in the first place.

Andria raced down the street with blinding tears in her eyes. “Hey! Watch it!” an old woman carrying a food sack called after her. On a normal day Andria would have yelled back an apology…On a normal she wouldn’t have been running down the street with tears of furious anger streaming down her face…But it wasn’t a normal day…Anyone willing to feel would know that…It was something on the wind…Something with a certain tang to it…But because Andria’s mind was elsewhere she didn’t feel it.

“Where are you going?” Her father yelled to her from the front step. “Is school already out?” But instead of answering, she ran past their shop. Andria’s family had run it since 1790, the year now being 1863. Through the Klomp’s were simple people, they wanted all their children to have a good education so they “could be bright as buttons”, as her father always told her and her three brothers whenever they groaned about school. Andria, being the oldest and female, was to inherit the tailoring shop when she came of age. School made it all the better for her so she could manage the business on her own if need be.

It angered her father when she ran past him without uttering a word, so he ran after her and caught her by the arm, shook her, then said “What’re you doing girly? Now, I asked you a question and I want an answer!”

Andria knew better than to mouth off when her father had grabbed her. “Yes sir.” She sniffled. “No school isn’t out.” Another sniffle. “I’m headed to my island.”

“Schools not out yet?! Then what in the blazes are ye doing here lass?!...Psh! Your island! T’aint nothing but a miserable rock to crash ships on! Completely worthless!...Just like you!”

She let out a big sob “I’m playing hooky alright?” Andria wrenched her arm out of his hand. “My island isn’t worthless and neither am I!”

She ran onto the beach. Her father was on her tail screaming cusswords like the local sailors. Luckily, Andria didn’t talk like that. One, because she was a lady and had to act as such. Two, because she had to read so many books that she had learned bigger and better words to use than the conventional curses. And three, because it was all together beneath her.

Her father seemed to be gaining so she pushed herself even harder. Suddenly her feet met the planks of the jetty. “Get back here you good for nothing cockroach!”

Andria hopped into her boat. She staggered a moment because of the rocking of her dingy. “When I catch you, I’ll make you scrub the floor until your hands bleed!”

Andria went to her knees and began untying the mooring line. The skilled fingers of generations past that had been stitching, sewing and embroidering since 1790 were on her side.

“Stow it!” She yelled back as she used an oar to shove off. Andria was no dummy. You don’t say that to an angry man unless you’re sure you’re out of his reach. When her father reached her she was four feet away from the jetty. He swung out trying to catch her but missed and instead fell into the cold sea. He then screamed curses while spitting salt water. “Love you to Papa! Hope you enjoy your swim!” She knew she was in huge trouble when she got home! Why come home at all? She thought to herself. You’ve got enough provisions to last at least three days. After that you can just catch fish. This brought on a whole new wave of tears. She knew she’d have to come home eventually…No matter how hard she tried…Now alone on the ocean with just the beach in sight and her island covered by a thin veil of mist, she let all her emotion out…Until she cried herself to sleep…

“Hoist ‘er up!”
“I got ‘er right here!”
“Pull ye scurvy, good-for-nothing, dogs!”
Andria opened her eyes. A man with a gray beard with flecks of brown hair and food, held her like a very large child. She looked around and saw a bunch of crudely dressed men hoisting her small boat out of the water. She was sopping wet. Apparently she had been sprayed by the sea.
Andria jumped out of the man’s arms but at the same time he dropped her and she landed on her bottom. Quickly, she sprang to her feet, then noticed the sword on his hip; she reached over, grabbed it, then jumped onto the railing, sword in one hand rigging in the other. “ALRIGHT, I GOT SOME QUESTIONS AND I WANT ANSWERS!”
There was a small pause.
“Now!” She shouted.
A man wearing a blue jacket, a tricone hat, black boots, with a beard in two braids and a mustache in two smaller braids stepped forward. “Calm down lass! We was only trying to help ye!”
“Who are you?”Asked Andria.
“Fine thanks.”
“No. Who.”
“I was only joking lass!” His voice had a touch of an Irish accent…But yet his beard was dark brown…With little gray strands. He also had eyes green as shamrocks. “Aye, I know what you said lassie…Call me Cap’n Stockwood.” He said reaching up with his right hand. Andria took a swipe at him with the sword. “Watch where ye swing dat ting!...Ye got a name girly?”
“…Andria Klomp.”
“Aye…Andria…” Mumbled the captain. He seemed to be mulling things over.
“What business are you and your crew in?” Andria boldly asked.
“Piracy.” He answered plainly and honestly.
“Ah…” That explained a lot. “Where am I, and how do I get back to shore?”
“You’re aboard the Victoria.” Captain Stockwood said proudly. “And you don’t.”
“Wha?”
“You’re not gettin back. Land is too far away for you and that dingy of yours…You can come into my cabin and dry off. I don’t fancy we’s gots any lady’s clothing but we got boys and they’ll suite you fine.”
“…I think that’s the last thing I’d want to do!...” Andria spat indignantly.
Captain Stockwood’s face grew solemn. “You have my word as a gentleman…And as a father.” He laid one hand on his heart, bent his head and peaked up at Andria through his eyelashes. Everyone knew exactly what he was promising.
Andria thought about it What other choice do I have? “…Alright…” She said hesitantly.
“Very well then. Hand back the sword and I’ll get you some clothes.” Carefully Andria handed over the blade. As soon as it was returned to its owner, Captain Stockwood called out “Christopher! Get this lady some dry clothes!...And make sure they’re decently clean to!” Then he offered Andria a hand off the railing and led her into his quarters. “…Uh, I’ll give ye a moment…Don’t start undressing yet…” He paused as if expecting Andria to say something. There’s not much one can say…At least in this position. Captain Stockwood cleared his throat and started to head for the door. There came a shy knock on the door.
“Come in.” Andria and Captain Stockwood said at the same time.
A tall, blond, boy of medium build, with shoulder length hair, and eyes of green, walked into the room. Their eye’s met…It was a case of the oh so indescribable love at first sight. He almost dropped the pile of clothes he was holding! Quickly he regained his composer and swaggered over to her. “I hope these are to your liking. Though, they aren’t as lovely as that dress.”
“Oh, well, thank you.” She replied with a small giggle. Truth be told, it was an old, everyday, burgundy, dress.
“You’re welcome…Andria, yes?”
“Yes. You?”
“Christopher. Christopher Columbus. Nah! Just pulling yer leg! It’s Hussend.”
His stupid joke made Andria laugh. “Very nice to meet you Mr.Hussend.” She said extending her right hand.
“Likewise.” He said taking her hand, but instead of shaking it, he turned it over and kissed it. “Please, call me Christopher. Mr.Hussend was my father…Lemme guess. You work with your hands a lot?”
“Yes, I—“
Captain Stockwood cut them short. “Will you two love sick ninnies quit making googly eyes?! Christopher! Get back to work! And lass! Ye be making a puddle on my rug!”
Andria looked down. Indeed she was. “I’m terribly sorry!” She said hopping off.
“You should be! That was a gift from my grandmother, God rest her soul!” As Captain Stockwood and her new love left the room, Captain Stockwood said “Just set the wet stuff in the corner by the door. We’ll hang a line and dry them later.” With that he slammed the door behind them before Andria had the chance to say ‘thank you’.
Andria began to peel out of her wet clothes. Everything was wet. She was soaked to the bone! She threw her soggy pile over by the door, being careful not to hit the rug. Before she slipped the large shirt over her head she sniffed it. Though it smelled more like sweat, salt water, and other various odors; it smelled wonderful to her, just because it belonged to Christopher. After she put on Christopher’s shirt (It was so large on her she practically swam in it!) And his pants which she kept on her hips with a hope and a prayer, she exited the cabin where she saw the captain barking orders at some crew members in the rigging. She walked up beside him.
“Ah. Hello lass.”
“Hello…Um, may I barrow a belt?”
“Course! Course!” Said Captain Stockwood un-buckling his from around his own waist. He held it out to her. “Thank you.” She shrugged and fastened it around her.
Captain Stockwood, much to Andria’s surprise, threw his arm around her shoulders and said “Now girly, ye didn’t think we was going to let ye stay ‘ere for free did ya now?”
“No captain.” She said nervously.
“Aye. Aye. We be putting you to work now.”
“I thought so captain.”
“Here, you ‘ave to earn you meals.” He said poking her belly
Through laughter she replied “Yes captain!” She had a very ticklish tummy.
“So I’d like you to meet some friends o’ mine.” Andria winced. No telling what sorts of “friends” pirates had! “Right this way.” He said leading her through a lively jumble of crew. Captain Stockwood released her and brought out a mop and bucket. “Meet Mr. Mop and Mrs. Bucket! Ye know how to swab a deck?”
“Aye captain.” She replied with a smile of relief.
Over the next three days it became clear to Andria that the pirates wanted her for a deck hand and a deck hand only. She wasn’t rich enough to be ransomed anyway…And over those three days she neither saw hide or hair of Christopher Hussend. She had even been sleeping in the same place as the rest of the crew! Eating with them, working with them, talking with them, relaxing with them, even singing with them! They taught her some chanties…and curses…and chanties with curses…But not once had she seen the long haired, blond, boy. She was beginning to think he was just a vision of her tired mind…Until, one day, while she was polishing the captain’s boots, she saw him carrying a tray of tea over to the captain’s quarters.
She almost dropped the boot! But before she let herself spring to her feet and run to him, she reminded herself that the power in a relationship lies with the one who seems to care the least. Once he had disappeared into the cabin she walked jauntily over and stood next to the door hinges. Imagine the look on his face when I appear out of nowhere polishing the captain’s boots! She thought to herself.

“Here’s your tea sir.” Said Christopher setting the tray down on the table. “If that is all sir I’ll be on my way.” He took two strides toward the door. For the past three days the captain had kept him hopping under his duties as cabin boy. Peeling potatoes, scrubbing pots, mostly playing maid in Captain Stockwood’s cabin.
“Where ye going in such a hurry lad?” It stopped Christopher in his tracks. He was in for more chores! He hadn’t played his cards right…Oh well, it was what he was being payed for. “Hot date?” Captain Stockwood said slowly, emphasizing each T.
“Why yes Captain. Morgan promised me he’d teach me how to fish ‘the right way’. If we caught enough we’d fry ‘em up for dinner.” Captain Stockwood had eyes that could see right through you. Lying was futile. Still, Christopher couldn’t help it. No more than he could pretend he hadn’t seen Andria, and that his only desire was to speak to her. Captain Stockwood searched his face over and over again. Christopher tried to retain a poker face…But not too good of one. Poker faces always had something to hide.
Captain Stockwood set Christopher free from his all seeing eyes. “…Aye. Aye.” He mumbled to himself. “Dust the pictures and I’ll let ye go.”

As Andria rubbed the boots that were already shinning. Anyone could tell her mind was elsewhere. Why hasn’t he come out yet?! She thought to herself. Argh! How long does it take to deliver tea?
Suddenly Christopher burst out of the cabin. “Christopher! Just the man I wanted to see!” Andria yelled…She couldn’t handle being put on the spot
“No time to talk! Gotta fish!” He yelled back as he ran past her. Before she had time to be insulted he stopped, turned, and gave an exaggerated head jerk. A motion to fallow. Andria dashed after him. Christopher trotted down into the galley. “Morgan!” Morgan was the cook of the ship…Unfortunately he was no five star chef…
“Let’s go fishin’! The three of us!”
“Sorry son. I gots to peel the taters.”
For a brief second Christopher paused. “Captain’s orders. The man wants fish stew! Let’s go!”
“…Fine. Fine. Next time will you please tell ‘em to tell me earlier?”
“Of course, Morgan.” Living with these folks Christopher had become quite the liar.
“I’ll go give these back to Captain Stockwood.” Said Andria turning to the door.
“No!” Yelled Christopher with more gusto than needed. “…He’ll just give you more work.” He said staring into her eyes as lovers do.
“Besides,” Added Morgan. “De ol’ man kin wait for his boots.” Andria was taken aback that they would speak about the captain like that behind his back.
Morgan Grabbed three fishing poles from a nearby cupboard and passed them out to Andria and Christopher. Andria led the way out of the galley and once Christopher was five steps short of her he whispered to Morgan “Thanks.”
“Anytime bre.” Morgan’s mother was from South Africa and his father was Hawaiian. He had grown up in Scotland but met the Victoria, her crew and its previous captain off the Gulf of Mexico. In short, he was a dark skinned, wild card, who traveled often, smoked like a chimney, and rarely played by the rules.
The three casted out their lines. Morgan lit his pipe but then realized that Andria was watching him carefully, so he offered her a drag.
“No thanks. My mother would kill me!”
“Speaking of your mother, what’s she like?” Asked Christopher trying to make conversation anyway he could.
“Well, she works in the shop with the rest of us. She’s actually a seamstress. Papa handles the business orders…Momma can’t read…That’s why they sent us all to school.”
“Us all?”
“Yes, my three brothers and I.”
There was an awkward pause.
“I don’t remember much about my mother.” Christopher said plainly.
“Oh?”
“She died at sea from phenomena.”
“Oh! I’m so sorry!”

Christopher didn’t bother to reply but instead kept on with his sad tale. “After that it was my father who raised me…Made me tough I suppose… But I was only a wee little toddler when he died…"
Morgan laughed and said “Took ‘em a while to learn how to walk! What with da rocking of de ship and all.”
Andria and Christopher both laughed. “You knew him as a toddler?” She asked.
“Aye. I was dere when ‘e was born.” Morgan replied.
“Wow really?”
“Aye. I joined da crew when his ma was pregnant and his pa was cap’n.”
“Your father was captain?!” Andria asked turning to Christopher.
“Aye.”
“…Then how’d captain Stockwood become captain?”
“Father’s first mate.”
“…How’d your father die?” Andria dared to ask.
Christopher took a deep breath. “In a battle between ships. He and Captain Stockwood were hauling some loot back over from the other ship during the fight and it is said that one of the enemy pulled the plank they used as a bridge out from underneath my father. Father was lost at sea…He was such a lean man that he just sank like a stone…I always suspected mutiny…” He added in a softer tone. “…You know…Power lust and all…”
“Are you saying you suspect Captain Stockwood pulled the board?!” Andria asked in a hissing whisper.
“Ssh! And yes…Cap’n was the only one who saw it…Well besides them blokes from the other ship, I suppose.”
“Are you planning revenge on Captain Stockwood?” Andria whispered very quietly.
Christopher just started at her.
“…Right…” She said lamely.
Morgan’s line suddenly became pin straight. “Looks like I got one.” He said smiling broadly.

Christopher and Andria leaned and sat on the railing bellies full of fish and potatoes. It turned out the fish Morgan caught was quite large. Enough to feed half the crew! The other, smaller, five, Christopher and Andria had caught supplied the rest.
Andria sat on the railing swinging her legs over the water. Christopher leaned on it, arms folded in front of him. He wore a slight scowl. The sun was going down. Though the two weren’t talking they were sharing everything they had.
Abruptly there came a shout from the crow’s nest…The shout would change both their lives. “LAND HO!”
Out of nowhere the captain strolled up. “There’s your port missy.” He said making Andria jump.
“Oh! Captain! I didn’t hear you come up! You’re so quiet!”
He chuckled and said “Aye…Now, we’re going to pick up some much needed supplies…Such as soap!” He said eyeballing some random sailor, who in turn, smiled sheepishly. “I’ll lend you enough money to get you into a good hotel for a day or two, and we’ll be on our way.”
“Lend? How am I to pay you back?”
“Well, uh, once you get enough money send it to the lady who works at the hotel. She and I are…Good friends.” Captain Stockwood smiled at a joke that only he and the lady were in on.
“Oh, paying you isn’t the problem sir; it’s getting the money to you!”
“Aye. Be sure to write your parents and tell them where ye be. I’ll persuade the hotel’s mistress to give you a job ‘till someone can come for you.” Another mischievous smile danced across his face. He paused then said “Oh, whatever you do, don’t leave the hotel! Got me? Cabrunette is a rough port!”
“Cabrunette?”
“Aye. Cabrunette.” He turned as if to walk away but then caught sight of Christopher. “Boy, what are ye still doing here?! Ye know the work that needs to be done before we can put into port! Get going!”
“Aye sir.” He said dashing away.
Once Christopher had gone Andria half mumbled to the captain “I guess I’d better give him back his clothes…” She hadn’t changed clothes the whole four days!
“Oh aye…your dress is in me cabin…”
“Thanks.” She said before she walked away.
She found her old burgundy dress and embarrassingly enough, her under garments folded on the inside of the pile. After she was dressed in her old clothes from what seemed a past life, she exited the captain’s cabin. Suddenly a hand attached itself to her mouth and pulled her back into the cabin. Her surprised yelps were muffled by the hand. He let go of her before she could strike out at him and quickly shut the door behind them. She calmed down once she saw his face. “Christopher?”
“Aye.” He said, sliding the bolt into the lock. “Keep it down. I wanted to talk to you one last time.” He whispered, doing what seemed like gliding towards her.
“Aye? – Er, I mean ‘Yes?’” In Andria’s mind talking like a sailor in front of a sailor was like talking in a British accent in front of an English man! Besides, all the classy people said ‘yes’ instead of ‘aye’.
Christopher chuckled a bit when he stopped three inches in front of her. “…You don’t have to leave you know…The old man would let you stay as long as you kept working, you know…” Christopher sounded more like a nervous little boy than the handsome teenager he was. “We’ll probably never see each other again if you leave…”
Andria drew in a sharp breath…Somehow she refrained from gasping. It had never occurred to her that she’d have to leave Christopher behind for the sake of her family. “You…You…You could come too, you know.” Tried Andria.
“Unfortunately, my place is here…Besides, Stockwood would never let me.”
“Yes.” She said sadly.
“I’m not going to make you stay if you don’t want to…” Christopher said rubbing the back of his neck.
Butterflies went wild in Andria’s stomach. There was a long pause, both wanted to say something more but words were not their gifts.
“I love you.” Christopher said in a honey toned whisper pulling her by the waist into a passionate kiss. After five seconds they separated. “…Forgive me…” He said sorrowfully looking down into her eyes. He then unlocked the door and bolted out of the room like a spooked fox. Andria was glued in her spot. He kissed me…He loves me… I have to leave…Pity…Do I really? Would they care if I didn’t come back at all? Am I just as, if not happier here? I have work, and I have food, and I have a bed…He loves me…He kissed me! He loves me! He loves me! He loves me! Andria wanted to scream it to the heavens.

“So how’d it go?” Asked Morgan as he and Christopher scaled the rigging.
“Rather well…I think…” He paused a long while then awkwardly said “…I kissed her.”
Morgan laughed. He laughed so hard for a split second he lost his grip on the rigging but quickly regained it as all sailors do, then he took a deep breath and with a sideways smile said “Ah, one of those women?...I love those kind of women!”
“She not like that!” Christopher said hotly. “…I kissed her…”
“I see…Heartbreaking pretty boy!” Morgan taunted.
“Shut up!” Christopher called back playfully.

--READ THIS AFTER YOU FINISH THE CHAPTER-- This is the chapter that needed the most editing. At first it ended in a prose about reincarnation which is something I don't entirely believe in. I also had this one weird paragraph about suicide, so I actually forgot about the reincarnation stuff but redid the suicide paragraph so that it was actually relevant with the story. Thank you so much for reading this far by the way.

After Captain Stockwood got Andria settled in the hotel ran by his old “friend”, he and the rag tag crew hit the bar.
“Come ‘ere boy!” the drunken Captain Stockwood motioned to Christopher.
“Yes Captain?” Christopher learned it was best to do whatever the captain asked…Even when he was drunk.
“Sit down. I gots a story to tell ya!” He said patting the bar stool. “You familiar with the ships name?”
“Of course Captain!” Christopher had only lived on it his entire life!
“When I took over I renamed it The Victoria.”
“By the way, how did my father meet his death?” Christopher fingered the small knife at his side.
“Ssh! Sh, sh, sh, ssh!” The captain hissed pressing a dirty finger to Christopher lips. “I’ll get to that later. So I-I-I renamed The Victoria. Why? Because I was in love with a lady. Wanna know ‘er name? Victoria! Know what happened? She left me!” The captain began to sob loudly. “You see boy? That’s why I tried to keep you and Andria apart. ‘Women, ya can't live wit’ ‘em, ya can't live without–‘ RUM!” He screamed at a nearby barmaid as she scurried off.
“Aye, that’s very fine and good, but what of my father?” Christopher questioned.
“Your father? Your father! I am your father!”
“What?! No sir, you’re the captain. My captain. Not my father.”
“No, no, no. Your mother and I told him you were his son!”
“What?!”
“That’s right! You’re my son! Where do you think you got those eyes? Certainly not from your father! The green runs in the Stockwood family! Your mother had blue eyes and your dear papa had brown.”
“Duh-duh-duh, wha?...No. You’re drunk…” Christopher said aloud. “…You can't be telling the truth…”
“Oh but I am!” Captain Stockwood blew a smelly breath at Christopher.
The barmaid came back with a glass of rum. “Here you are sir.” She said shuffling away.
“Took ya long enough!” Captain Stockwood took up the glass and downed it as if as fast as it had appeared before him.
“Sir, how many glasses have you had?”
Captain Stockwood first winked one eye, then the other and finally both. “Lost count at six.” That was actually, fairly normal for him. “I remember your mother…” Captain Stockwood chuckled. “Had our affair right in Captain Hussend’s and your mother’s bed! She was a–“
“I don’t want to know!” Christopher shouted before he could hear another disgusting statement about his mother. “But what I want to know is, did you kill…Captain Hussend?”
“Did I kill him? Did I kill him!...He was me best friend!” Stockwood said as he sobbed into a handkerchief. “Yes! I killed him!” He sobbed some more. “You watched me do it to! I’ll never forget those big green eyes staring up at me in disbelief. He never loved your mother the way I did! He never captained a ship as good as I did either!” Christopher couldn’t bear to hear anymore, so he ran outside. “Where ye goin’ boy?” Captain Stockwood called after him.
My father’s a murderous piece of dung, my girlfriend and only true love has left me for her simpleton family, my mother was adulteress witch, and my father isn’t even who I thought he was! What have I got to live for? That night Christopher took a rope and hung himself in the bathroom of The Worm’s Wood Tavern in the port of Cabrunette. It was Morgan who found him. The next afternoon (after everyone was over their hangovers) they buried Christopher behind the bar. The entire island was in attendance, but it was Andria who wept the most, not leaving his grave until sundown. Christopher left no note. In his mind he was a piece of filth with scum for parents that didn’t deserve his last thoughts to be conveyed.
As for Andria, she died two years later, at the age of 17, in a bed of roses at the hotel, with a 20 year old man who could never fill the void Christopher left. She was buried beside Christopher but only the woman who ran the hotel came to her funeral.
Some say the pairs of ghosts can be seen calling each other’s names from the doorways of where they died. The full moon must show it’s brightest and the wind must howl to carry their voices and images to one another. When there is no such howling wind you can hear on the soft tropical breeze of sunsets much like the one they shared, they whisper their names back and forth. “…Andria.” “…Christopher…” “Andria…” “Christopher…”
It just goes to show suicide is not the answer. Andria’s parents never came and had Christopher hung on they could have been together, happily (as happy as you can get in a relationship at least), for the rest of their lives, and likely died together in old age when the time came. When Christopher took his life, in a way he also took Andria’s. So, dear reader, I urge you to think. This might send chills up your spine more-so than a mere ghost story but there are times in all our lives where we think we simply cannot go on. In those dark hours I urge you to think, who would you be taking with you? Your parents? Your brother or sister? Your best friend? Your other half? Think. Take a deep breath and think, then reach out to those people. They love you and will help you.