Israel | Teen Ink

Israel

June 29, 2013
By Danielr BRONZE, Bloomer, Wisconsin
More by this author
Danielr BRONZE, Bloomer, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Only two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

-Albert Einstein


Author's note: I really wanted to prove a point about human nature. I don't want to paint any character as good or evil, but a complicated, unbalanced mixture. A good person and an evil person, while fun to read about, are unrelatable. I don't want reading this to be fun. I want people to read it, and know what it would be like to be all of the characters. That was my purpose in writing this piece.

Sinner Boy

The schooner cut the azure waves with majestic ease, skimming over what it could not plow through. Agatha was of the finest stock of commerce on the sea, and it was said quite freely that she “could outrun the devil back t’ hell.” Only the sharks that hugged her stern could dare to compete with the slim vessel, and it was many a fine day when a ship-hand could look over the rail and see seas turned black by the obsidian backs of their parasitic cohorts. There was a macabre beauty to her lines, woven by her fearsome reputation for the carting of death, disease, and woeful souls. She was a slaver, commanded by the tycoon J Scott Wilhelms, who often took voyages on his own ships. The captain disdained him (behind his knotted, slouching back), and was loathe to allow an unsalted man to give him any order.

Wilhelms had not built his business, rather he had been a shady inheritor, claiming the property of his eldest uncle before the high courts in Atlanta. He had allowed a gradual declination of his business, squandering his fortunes through various means of gambling and liberally un-English debauchery. Agatha was his last profitable vessel, her advantages in swift speed giving her the ripest fruits of Afrika.

On this particular voyage, they had just left anchor from the wild heathen regions of Ghana on the Gold Coast, picking up a large shipment of umbers from an all too willing chief. He was an Akan man from the interior, a warrior whose motives centered on the domination of his neighbors. The easiest way to rule them was to send their strong ones with the abosom ghosts. Wilhelms hated these chieftans, often taking them into slavery along with their captured cargo. One chief had led a revolt on one of his ships, leaping on a below-deck patrol and strangling him with the iron chains that held him. They found a key on his person, and around four hundred children of vengeance stormed from the cargo hold. The chief led them to kill the captain and take the ship, but they were quickly overrun by a passing frigate. No slaves had ever suffered more than that fated four hundred on that day, and many say that it was that day that the sharks learned to follow the ships that smelled of rot and blood. After that day, J. Scott took to executing them outright. Though a pretentious buffoon, he was not exactly a fool, and his caution had saved him many a time, endangered though he was by fits of unprecedented recklessness.

It had been on a voyage of one of his first and most valued vessels that this infamous reputation was ripened, and he had been in charge for only about nine months. Her name was Dana of Wilke, and she was the finest wave-prowler in his fleet at that time, bringing in record amounts of black gold in a most efficient period of time. Before, of course, J. Scott ran her on the rocks with the pompous cry of “run her straight, straight, even to the gates of the damned! Straight!”

She did go straight, and straight upon a jutting atoll, killing half the cargo in a breath of time likened to the snuffing of a candle. The rest drowned, and as they perched upon the daggers of rock, the bellowing wails were born upon the salty spray, as the tide rose around them in fitful bursts and plunges. Wilhelm never truly recovered of it, health and constancy ruined on a fated night of screams and the pallor of foaming, heaving death. He had the captain stripped of rank and flogged for gross dereliction.

Wilhelm could never stay on a deck for long amounts of time after that, and any disdaining sailor could testify to the swift pall that climbed the cheek of the tycoon after five minutes upon the back of his finest, most sea-stable oaken beauty. He had not even bothered to come ashore on their last stop, putting not even the captain, but the first mate in charge of bartering with and then consequently flogging the native chief. The first mate, of course, was his second cousin. And so it was a nasty surprise to him when the captain stormed respectfully into his chamber, eyes aglow with respectful fury.

“Sir, there has been a problem, and something we believe it is of interest for you to witness.” The captain spat with barely concealed scorn, smiling with a benevolent indulgence upon the sickened lump in the bed before him.

“Captain, must I help you with every odd problem on this damned vessel?” Wilhelm groaned, sitting up, wiping his fingers groggily over his pale, murky eyes.

“Nay sir, but there has been, a, ah, slight revolt with the cargo, sir. A boy-“

“A boy? Captain, do you stand before with your hat in your hands and tell me that a black child has managed to disturb the peace and order of my ship?”

“No, sir, not at all, sir. He merely, ah, struck his chains at the first mate. The, ah, problem is, the mate ran after him, trying to get a close shot with his piece. Needless to say, I tried to stop him, sir. A short scuffle ensued, and he, ah, somehow managed to fall off deck sir.”

“What? You have killed the most valuable member of this crew, captain, and I will doubtless hold you responsible,” he wagged his head in sadness, a look of the utmost melancholy creeping unwillingly onto his face, “I have no choice, but to”- As he was wringing his trembling hands with gleeful fervor, the captain cut in, “Sir, it was no fault of mine! It was truly the doing of the boy, you know how these soulful brutes can be! Too much spirit, I say. And either way, it would have been no harm done had not all these bloody sharks been following us.” Accusatorily he glanced at Wilhelm, continuing, “And we are in the process of punishment now, sir. He is being heavily striped, and it will not stop until your order. “If you would come up, then, sir?”

J. Scott’s face twisted in self-conflict, as he was evidently torn by the promise of relishing the destruction of a least-favorite captain and the immediate pleasure of a good, thorough whipping.

“Very well, captain, but do not think that this matter is ended with you.” His paunchy cheeks began to drain of hue as they topped the deck, and he squinted at the unforgiving sun doubtfully.

Before them was a scene of justice to the degree of the macabre, a tall, splintered and stained post jutting up from the deck, which was by then soaked in the salt of the sea and blood. Tied to the post, stomach to the rough wood, was a boy, a young child no older than twelve or thirteen. He was stripped to the waste, and he leaned pitifully against the tall post as his body, wracked in the pain of stinging leather, heaved with unnatural contractions. His eyes were closed, and his mouth was hanging half-open, as blood poured liberally from between his cracked lips. He had bitten his tongue in a withheld scream of agony.

“Well, if one thing can be said for the brutes of the Afrikans, they make enduring men.” A sallow-faced man laughed as he brandished the long leather snake, spraying men in blood as it whistled through the air, painting vermillion stripes in the rich umber of the boy’s unprotected back.

The whip whistled three more times, creating deeper gashes in what resembled a side of poorly preserved meat. A man with a long, brown face went up between the victim and oppressor, his eyes glinting feverishly in the noon-day sun.

“Aye, Touvre, they do, and I think this one’s endured enough. Let’s have mercy, now, eh?” He pined in a deep quaking tone that spoke of times long past. Richer days, I think, when the pages of man’s legacy were not yet stained with deepening red, and none had yet heard the primal screams of the innocent.

Wilhelm was one who had before heard these air-staining cries, and like all of those attuned to the macabre, enjoyed the grinding of life beneath a well-polished boot. He strode up to the two, quizzically glancing at the long-face.

“Mercy, you say? You would give this murderer mercy? Why my man it is laughable, and is near treason to the ideology of the superior man!” He shook his head mournfully, welling up in his voice a pool of spoiled pathos, “Mercy , mercy, mercy! Weakness, I say, weakness!” Here he walked to the boy and in a breathy whisper, rasped out the crown that capped his speech.

“There is no mercy for sinners or slaves, boy,” he turned to the subdued, blood-speckled crowd, “And this beast is both, lads! No mercy for the sinner or the slave!” He turned to Touvre with reverent benevolence carved in the crags of his face, “Let him not have mercy, then. Give him fifteen more for whatever cry escapes his cursed lips. You know,” he winked roguishly, “I have need of a new first mate.”

Chapter 2

They made good time after that, though the mood aboard the ship bordered the surreal. It was a profoundly abnormal thing to see the captain subdued and uncertain, while Wilhelm strutted about aboard the helm deck with as much pride as a silver-backed gorilla. His dutiful followers, hoping for an elevation in post, doubtless, followed him as wide-eyed sheep behind an uncaring shepherd. He regaled them with tales of swashbuckling heroism and impossible feats, all the while puffing with fervor on a West Indian cigar. There were two types in his following, the first being the salted hand, who groveled with his words but swallowed the empty pomp like medicine. The second were a much more voluminous bunch, a freshwater smattering of cabin boys and deck hands, the only ones who believed that Scott had put down the Caribbean slave riots with a flintlock and a cudgel.

Wilhelm had decided to put port in at Jamaica, to season his slaves. They would be whipped and bullied and taught the ways of true civilization, which most slaves came to mean “best at making pain.” Agatha was to continue to America, picking up cotton in sale to Britain and proceeding for a new batch of lost souls. They would leave them in Jamaica and take the seasoned ones straight to America. If Wilhelm was one thing, he was a good salesman and a better businessman, knowing that seasoned slaves were one and half the price of an unseasoned straight of Afrika.

They put in on a cloudless day, a day where the men on the rigging were splashed with sun-spray and the waves throbbed as a frenzied drum. The wind carried a dark colored scent to her, and Wilhelm knew it as a good sign. They had found Jamaica. Unloading was the worst job of any, and men drew lots for it. It was no small task to wade into the hold of rotting flesh and souls, unchaining those who would have your blood.

It went without a hitch, except when the key-man got to the back, and found the boy who had been whipped a month before. He was lying in the back of the boat, which was the worst, for all that is foul shifts to the deeper recesses of the aft-end. The man next to him was quite obviously dead, probably for a week or more, splayed limbs stiff in the rigors of death. The boy was shivering uncontrollably, tremors wracking his tried body. His back had turned a rotten black, and flies clung to it like a squirming, buzzing robe. He dazedly looked up, and the crust of fever grew in his bloodshot gaze. As the stricken key-holder looked down and met his gaze, the boys eyes began to smolder, and he leaped up, stirring the carpet of flies to ignite in a spark of blackened flame. He leaped at him, but was immediately repulsed by the unforgiving iron on his wrists and feet.

The holder cried out, running back up to the deck.

The captain turned angrily to the men who had disrupted the line of broken slaves.

“What do you think you’re…”

“Sir, the one in the hold, with the, the whip-, whipped b-back, sir” he panted, fear deserting his lungs of air, “Animal, sir. Charged me. Bull, bull, was a bull,”

He slid back as the captain smiled grimly. Here was an opportunity, a chance to get on the favorable side of the man he hated most.

“Don’t unchain ‘im. Tear his shackles from the wall, ‘n bolt ‘em together. Let him shuffle to freedom!” The men laughed, and several left to get the tools.

Awhile later, the boy squinted dolefully as he was roughly dragged from the dank hole in the ship, and as they set him on his tender feet, he immediately collapsed. The crueler ones laughed, pulling him along the splintered boards and taking great care to run him into things. A count-taker waited at the bottom, glancing disapprovingly at the limp corpse they had dragged from the pit.

“Are you absolutely sure he ain’t dead?” He asked with a doubtful look, squatting to examine his eyes and teeth with the one eye the Lord had left him.

“Aye, he be living well ‘nough. Nigh killed a mate of our but ten minutes ago. No sah, he ain’t dead. Don’t look for much, but he’s spirit abound, aye.” The new first mate Touvre grinned with what he supposed to be disarming charm. The message was not received.

“See here, man, this’n ain’t t’ last a week in the seasonin’ camp. Why should we waste a penny on his food? Be as much good to chuck ‘im in the grave now as any time. ‘is teeth are good, but there’s fever in ‘is eyes, I’d swear it. We had that ‘fore, wiped out ‘alf the stock, it did.”

“Look here. You’ll be lettin’ this’n on or we take our cargo elsewhere. We don’t wanna deal with an extra mouth an’ a fightin’ spirit on two legs o’ the journey, and we don’t mean to. You’ll take ‘im.” Touvres lost all pretences of good cheer, and gave a most dangerous look to the count-taker, “J. Scott Wilhelm’s on that there boat there, y’see? And he wants his slaves seasoned proper, aye? So take ‘im if y’ still want the deep purse of Wilhelm on yer books.”

“Right then, I’ll take ‘im. That name carries a bit ‘o weight round ‘ere yet, and I suppose naught could hurt to take ‘im. But mark m’words, he won’t be here fer ya when you return, aye?” The abashed man groveled, scraping together the remains of a savaged pride.

Touvres turned to go, satisfied, but on an afterthought, wheeled around.

“An’ tar ‘im good, willya? He was quite a bit ‘o trouble fer our cruise. But I guess I do ‘ave to thank ‘im a bit,” He shot off a gap-toothed, mustard grin, “It’s ‘cause of ‘im that I’m firs’ mate, eh?” He laughed, and strode away.

The count-taker nudged the boy, and gave a low whistle.

“A week was far too generous, mate, far too generous.”




He woke up in a bed, a real bed, though his name for it was not ours. No bunks, no hard wood, no splinters lodged in the ragged skin that remained on his torn back. He rolled over, and pain lanced through him once again. He stifled a long, drawn out scream in the woolen blanket, a skill well-practiced on a ship where weakness lost your food. He glanced carefully back, and stifle once more the urge to cry out. Where on his back there had once been festering, blackened flesh, there was now a thick coating of some foreign substance sticky and pungent. It was hot, and burned into him whenever he tried to move. He tried to will himself into unconsciousness, but to no avail. A brand seemed to burn his mind with the horrors of the journey. The bloated, fattened flies, the death, the tell-tale scraping of the tooth-fish on the bottom of the boat – these were not in him now, but were him. He if they were part of him, he no longer liked who he was.

Nyame, help me. To my aid, Nyame of the sky. Come with your Abosom, justly abosom. Nyame, help me. Nyame, Nyame of the sky. Help me. Tano, strike them down, strike them Tano. Asase Ya, swallow them with the grave within. Swallow them. Nyame, help me.*the people of this region would not have worshipped this pantheon, but have more likely been involved with West African Vodun. I used the boy as a worshipper of Nyame for the sake of simplicity.

And on and on, as he called to the spirits of the water and tree, lurkers of the river-rushes and formers of the earth. One by one, he screamed to the world beyond the sea, to the nether beneath his feet, to the enigma in the sky. But no savior, not for the child in chains. So he must not be a child. He would be a man, a strong man, a man of the true Akan people. And as it was often said, the strongest man has stronger words. But the boy had no words. Not here. Not among these vodun-ghosts.

He carried on in this fashion, rattling his chains in time to his silent chants, cradling his head as it buzzed with the rot of memory. A knock on a thick, oaken door shook away his mournful reverie. A slim, dark girl entered without waiting for a response, stepping carefully over the boot-worn boards as a deer approaches the stream. She was laden with a rough wooden serving platter, and on it was a dented tin of water and a rough crust of hard tack. But though the boy was starving, the sight of food was not what captivated him. He saw only the girl, slim and bruise-blackened, with shadows painting the undersides of her eyes like warpaint. She was bent-backed, and shadows were carved deep in her ebony eyes, which glared with a resigned mistrust into the floor. And all of this, to the boy, could not have been more the pinnacle of beauty.

“Are you-are you…” He stammered, feeling words form in his mouth as a woman molds wetted clay.

She glanced up sharply, horror etched in her worn face.

“No, do not speak that. Not here! Not anymore! Not ever!” The girl spoke their tongue with an unpracticed stumble, a strange lilt tripping her every word. To the boy, though it was strange, he felt a deep resentment at such a marring of his native tongue. It was the way the ghost-men talked, and she did not deserve to taint his words with her foul mouth.

He struggled up, glaring at her, but was instantly disarmed by the alarm in her eyes.

“Why… why should I not speak?” He asked her, bewildered by her fear.

“No, it is not that. But if you are to speak it must not be in that tongue. Every word of that language is worth six lashes and a handful of salt. Do not speak them again – at least not here.” Her ending lament startled the boy, and his stumbling anger melted into pity. This was no Akan woman, not anymore. She could no longer even stand upright in front of her own people, and speak the true words. She was nigh a ghost herself.

“No! Do not look at me like that. It is not that I would harm your spirit, but that I would protect your back – and your mind.” Her eyes fell back to the knotted floor at this last word, and he struggled to understand why.

“Then… what shall I speak?”

She looked up quickly, smiled, and spoke a few rough words in the strange man’s tongue.

The brand flared again in his mind, burning through him, tendons taut and eyes aflame. He flew at her, teeth bared in a snarl of mindless hatred. She wheeled backward, dropped the platter, and sprawled upon the floor, gasping, flooded with the stench of human rage. He caught once more on the unforgiving bracelets, and sank back with pathetic resign.

The girl quickly gathered up the splinters of the platter, and turned to leave.

“Wait!” he called, heedless to the warning she had pressed upon him. She turned back warily, fear flitting about on her poorly painted mask.

“Will you tell me… the meaning of one of your ghost-words?”

“Aye. Which?” she smiled with wan exhaustion. He struggled to remember, to pry an odd word from a blood-stained memory.

“M-….Mercy.”

She smiled, spoke, and turned. He watched her leave, stepping silently out like a roan doe.

Chapter 3

The boy fell into a haze after that morning, with the word bouncing about in his brain. I am a slave. I will have no mercy. I am a slave. No mercy, not for… me.

And as the day progressed, as he lay tossing in the sweat-stained sheets, a great revelation stuck upon his mind. Where were the chains? They were gone from his wrists, and he wonderingly stroked the piled, knotted scars that laced his swollen forearms. He was free.

He jumped out of the bed, ignoring the burning complaint from his back, and Leaped to the oaken door, slamming it open. He cried out with shook as he plunged headlong into the girl from the day before. She was thrown into the wall with a sharp cry, and stumbled back onto the ancient, crusted rug.

He stared at her, wild-eyed, as pain crackled through her wounded eyes.

“You didn’t have to do that,” She admonished him, rubbing the back of her head, “I wasn’t going to stop you, and you ain’t free.” He stared at her again, bewilderment shattered upon an iron mask.

“No, you,” She laughed lightly, a bright jangle like the running of a hand on a piano. “They’ll let you out, let you roam, so you don’t hate the place. Makes the seasonin’ rub in a lil’ deeper. But that doesn’t mean we can’t take advantage, aye? Come on.”

She led him out, down a flight of bowing stairs, and out into a wide field. The boy squinted in the sunlight, not used to the painful caresses of the harvest sun. Before him stretched a wide open area, with patches of grass that were interlaced with packed-dirt roads, scars that slashed across the land before him. Each led to a low, dilapidated house that jutted from the hard earth, leaning monuments to the effect of man. Behind him was a large, two story building, appearing to be no more than a large and comfortable house. But appearances were deceiving, and at a closer glance, one could make out the heavy bars on the windows, and the iron that laced across every door. This was no house- it was a prison.

The girl grabbed his hand, yanking him into a leaping run, as they pounded across the meadow, regardless of fence, dirt, or grass. He fell into a rhythm behind her, catching her hair in his mouth as it whipped like a darkened beard of flame. They reached the end of the meadow, and they were engulfed in a grappling mass of trees and creepers. He glanced behind him as they slowed, and saw nothing but a blackened shadow, caught in the creeping green tendrils. The light as it leaked slowly through the canopy was stained a brilliant golden-green, and he laughed as she turned to him, her face lit up in a comical mash of artist’s hues.

She cocked her head, grinned, and shoved him back onto the bed of creepers. He yelped as they gave way, a not unpleasant stench of living rot flooding the air around him. She laughed again, a brilliant chortle muffled by the carpet of life that enveloped them.

“Here,” she said, “Can we speak.” She slid down next to him, and the exotic world darkened a bit, shadows crawling from their dens among the ample vines.

“Why am I here?” He asked her, wondering at the way his voice was caught in the shroud around them, and more for the sake of the pleasant sound, asked again, “Why?”

She grinned a bit, and settled down next to him. “The world ‘round this place is mighty big. We are not as alone as we thought. They are not ghosts who have taken us, but men, burned white by the heat of their sun. That is what Quack says. Aye, and they wants peoples like us, to do their work, away far away, cross’t the water. That’s what Quack says. No pers’n is here more’n three years, then they get brung back on th’ wooden ships, as they call ‘em. Least’aways, that’ what Quack says. Don’t e’n think Nyame could see this far away.” She slowly settled back into the rough wooden tongue of the ghost-men, and he could not understand what she said. She read his quizzical look, and smiled apologetically.

“I am not used to this word anymore. It isn’t my language. I am not like you, not anymore. There, I was Ataá Pánin – here, I am Beck.” She spat the last word with derisive scorn, and a twisted look crawled upon her face. A look, he thought, that was sadness and hatred in one glance, a beast that would cry as it killed.

“You… you had a sister, then?” he asked her carefully, searching her eyes for a sign of the beast, “Your name… it – “

“Aye, I remember well enough my own name!” Her words came out with a snarl, but the beast was not there. Only sorrow. “I had a sister. Ataá Kúmaa. She did not live the voyage. She was more beautiful than I. They brought her up on deck one day. Quack said the men were getting bored up there. She never came back down. The chains beside me were empty for the rest of the voyage.”

The boy did not know what to say. She had started to cry as she said this, and tears cut tracks in her grimy cheeks. The beast was dead. Only sorrow remained. She wiped away the tears, a sad smile shrouding the pain etched on her high-boned cheeks.

“So what do they call you, then? I have to call you something.”

He opened his mouth, feeling the words welling up, but at that moment, the vines lifted, and a trio of the ghosts loped into the clearing. The man in the lead stood, glaring, a shock of greasy gray hair splashed haphazardly onto of his thinning skull. His face was a mess of crowding wrinkles, and his eyes stood as light houses in a stormy, sun-baked sea, glinting like shattered glass in the green light.

“Ungrateful wretches,” a twitching sneer stained his mouth with the air of a painful grimace, “You war’nt t’ run off. Was good that Cuttle was ‘ere, eh, or we’d ‘alf t’burn down the forest lookin’. You, boy, you’ll be comin’ wi’ me an’ Baker. The farmer would like ‘a see yew.” A self-satisfied smirk graced the grizzled face, and he turned slowly to Beck.

“An’ You. You war’ to take ‘im round, show ‘im our marvelous plantation.” He spread his arms and then pointed accusatorily, “I expect the farmer will want t’ see you, too, then, eh?”

Horror and fear contorted her face, and she stumbled back as cuttle grabbed for her.

“Now, then, miss Beck, strugglin’ won’ do no good fer ya, eh?” Cuttle’s iron hands grabbed her arm, and he began to yank her in the direction of the meadow.

The boy watched her go, and took a stumbling step in a direction neither here nor there.

“Now, then, boy,” The man grinned, “Lets ‘ave you come wi’ me. Yer ‘a meet th’ farmer.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


Danielr BRONZE said...
on Jul. 3 2013 at 9:13 pm
Danielr BRONZE, Bloomer, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Only two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

-Albert Einstein

What do you think?