Dreams of Fields | Teen Ink

Dreams of Fields

By Ethan Dunn, Grimes, Iowa
Ethan Dunn, Grimes, Iowa

In the middle of Iowa on a cool summer day, a farmer named Bobby was farming the fields. He worked for hours like most days. When he finally finished, he went inside to watch Manchester United play soccer. Bobby kicked his feet up and turned on the T.V. Desperate

“Oh no, it’s the off-season,” Bobby said in despair.

At first, Bobby didn’t know what he should do. Since he couldn’t watch soccer, he decided to do a lot of farm work like feeding and milking the cows. As he worked, Bobby started to ask why the season had to end. Why can’t they show soccer in the summer?

Bobby finally finished feeding the cows. He went into his fields to park his tractor in the shed. After parking his tractor in the shed, he had a long walk to his house. It felt like walking in the desert as the bright, warm sun beat down on him. He was close to his house when he heard a voice behind him. He couldn’t make out the words the first time, but he knew he heard someone or something.

“Who’s there!” bobby said in a frightened voice.

“If you build it they will come.” The voice said

That time he heard the voice loud and clear. Bobby sprinted to his house and didn’t stop until he was in a safe place. That safe place was a closet with a lock. After panicking for a long time, he thought about what the voice said. He thought who would come and why. After a few hours of debating he decided to build a full sized soccer field in his cornfield, to the best of his ability. Since it was already late, he decided to go to sleep and figure it out in the morning.

Bobby’s alarm awoke him at five in the morning. He got up to feed the cows, but all he could think about was how he was going to make a soccer field and why he was listening to an invisible voice. He decided he had nothing to lose so he was going to knock over the stocks he had already picked sweet corn from and make a full sized soccer field. The one thing he questioned was who would come play soccer on a field that is completely dirt in the middle of nowhere.

Bobby took his tractor and started knocking over stocks of corn for his soccer field. He made enough room for some stands and the goals. When he finally finished he jumped out of the tractor and looked around his field. The smell of gas from his tractor made this feel like the middle of a cornfield, but he knew soon it would be his very own soccer field.

Bobby found some wood in one of his barns and constructed some stands to watch the game from. Making stands were extremely hard, but he also made them in the cornfield. He knew it was over one hundred degrees. This made him feel like he could pass out anytime. Bobby knew that if he kept going he could say that he had a soccer field, which he thought was pretty cool. He also found some PVC pipe to make the goals from. As he was making these two things for his field he could hear the cows mooing and the sun beating down on him. Bobby was very tired so he put the goals into position on the field and put the stands there to. Then he went to bed because of the long day he had gone through.

After what felt like minutes his alarm had again woke him up. He wanted to go check his field to make sure nothing broke over night. The last thing he expected to hear was exactly what he heard.

“Hello, is anyone here?” said a voice.

“I’m over here!” Bobby shouted as he was walking through the cornfield.

Then he saw who the voice belonged to. His hero, the reason he loved soccer, and the reason this soccer field is here.

“Wayne Rooney!” he exclaimed.

“That’s me,” Rooney said. “Where am I, do you know?”

“Your in Iowa” Booby answered. “In the United States.”

“I’m not the only soccer player who needs some where to play.”

“Anyone is welcome to play here.” Bobby said with excitement.

“I’ll call some of my teammates and some other teams so that we can play them” Rooney said. “We will be here at seven tomorrow.”

And with that he disappeared into the cornfields. Bobby was amazed by what he just saw. He thought for a long time about what to do next. He decided he needed to make a scoreboard and a league table, since Rooney said he would call other teams to. He was going to give all the teams schedules and farm names. For example Rooney was on Cowchester United.

Bobby called his friend Dave who was an electrician. He had a scoreboard from when his old school shut down. They gave allot of junk like the scoreboard to the old students. The one problem was it was rusted and didn’t work.

“How can I help you?” Dave said when he arrived.

“I need to fix this scoreboard for a soccer game.” Bobby replied.

“This will be fixed in a hour or two, why don’t you go get ready for that soccer game of yours.”

“Okay.” Bobby replied

He still needed to make a big league table out of wood. He had to find a really big piece of wood. It took a while, but he finally found the perfect piece. He also made a lot of little boards so that he could write the names of the teams. He wasn’t sure who was coming, so he started by making Cowchester United and Farmalona. He also made Real Moodrid and baconpool.

“Hey, Bobby!” yelled Dave.

“Yeah.” Bobby replied.

“It’s finished.” Dave said.

Bobby looked up at it and he thought it was twice as big as it was before. He also thought it looked twice as heavy too.

“Looks great, Dave can you help me get this to the field.

“Sure, you said the first game is at seven, I’ll be here to watch the it.

After loading the scoreboard into the truck and setting it up on the field, Bobby said his good byes to Dave and Dave left. Bobby had one more thing he had to do and that was set up the league table. He expected that to be hard, but it actually only took a few minutes. Then Bobby walked back to his house. When he got there he set his alarm, and went to bed.

Today, his alarm woke him at seven exactly. He got up and sprinted onto his field. He was shocked to see a full stand and many other spectators. He also saw at least fifty famous soccer teams all taking shots on his field. This feeling was the best he has ever felt in his life. He knew he had to organize a schedule, but at the moment he thought fast.

“First game is Cowchester United and Baconpool, everyone else clear the field!” Bobby yelled.

As the field cleared, Bobby could see Wayne Rooney at midfield. Getting ready for the kickoff. At that moment, Bobby knew this was his best idea ever. He saw Paul Schools and Nani and Fletcher and even Berbotov. He even saw there retired goalkeeper, Edwin Van Der Sar. Right when he realized what was happening a referee blew his whistle. Bobby didn’t know they were even bringing refs. Rooney kicked the ball of and the match began. The match was scoreless for a while. Finally in the forty-seconded minute, Rooney struck the ball from right out side the eighteen into the upper ninety for a goal. A few minutes later the referee blew the whistle for half time. The second half was more fun. After a quick goal to start the second half by Bacon pool’s Andy Carrol, Cowchester was on the move again. This time, Berbotov scored from a cross with a header. Rooney also scored on a break away late in the second half. As the referee blew his whistle for full time, Cowchester United had won three to one.

The second game was Farmalona against Real Moodrid. When the game began Lionel Messi scored a quick goal to start the game. The game remained one to zero for most of the game. Finally in the ninetieth minute, Real Moodrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo. That made the match end in a draw.

Next Game Barnsonal and chicken pool. This game was definitely most exciting for bobby. He hated both teams, but the game was so close the whole time. The one goal in the first half was by Robin Van Persie. This came off a free kick right outside the box. He made a perfect strike. It was like a laser beam straight to the upper 90. That ended the first half. During half time Chiken pool came screaming at the ref. They thought the call that led to a goal was clean. It took them a while to get them calmed down, but they finally did it. Second half was just as exiting. Chiken pool started of with a quick one two around the goal for an easy goal. That tied the game at one. Barnsonal wouldn’t let that be. In the 80th minute, the barnsoal defense played a perfect through ball right to Van Persie for a easy goal around the goalie. That would be it. Barnsonal won 2-1. That didn’t set well as a fight broke out between the teams when the game was over. The referee gave two players on each bench a one game suspension for starting the fight. Everyone else got away with no penalty.

After a day of game after game he got every team to play a game. Then he went to bed. When Bobby woke up, he was relieved to see that the field was empty. He knew he would half to work hard still because there were more games tomorrow. When he got to the field he felt good to see that Cowchester United was at the top. He cleaned up the field and then headed back to the house for the day. He was tired from yesterday and he knew that he would have along day tomorrow to. Bobby just sat in his house all day until it was time to go to bed.

When he got up he again sprinted out to the field. This time he had developed a schedule. When he got there the first game had already begun. He waited a long time, but finally around mid-day he finally got to see Cowchester United play. Rooney scored twice, leading Cowchester United a win. The day was over now. Farmalona and Baconpool had also won. Real Moodrid drawed one to one.

These games went on for a month or so. Finally, the season was near the end. Cowchester United had to play Farmalona for the championship. Bobby was very excited, but he had to wait a day. All he did that entire day was watch highlights of his league. At night, Bobby knew he had to sleep, but he couldn’t. He sat there watching the ceiling for hours until he finally fell asleep.

When he awoke, he put on his Rooney jersey and headed out side. He could see the biggest crowd at his field, all waiting to see Cowchester United play Farmalona. He sat in the stands for hours watching Cowchester United warm up. Bobby knew that he was ready for this game.

Bobby had waited for hours when he finally heard the referee blow his whistle to start the game. The game was action packed from the start. Right when the game started Wayne Rooney scored a goal. After many great shots and saves, Linel Messi evened the score with a goal of his own. The game was tied at the start of the second half. This game was very physical, you could tell both teams wanted a win as time ticked away. The match was still tied and the last thing anyone wanted was extra time. Then Bobby watched as a Farmalona player fell down in the box. Bobby could hear nothing from the crowd, nothing from the cows, and nothing from Cowchester United. They lined up for what would probably be the game winning PK.

The mood of that moment was intense and even somewhat scary for Bobby. He watched as Messi walked toward the PK mark. He put the ball down and the world went silent. Edwin Van Der Sar looked confident. He knew he was going to stop this shot. Just then, the ball was struck. Bobby saw Edwin dive toward the ball. Then, the crowd went up in a cheer as Edwin had caught the ball.

Like a bullet Edwin was up and ready to finish the game. Then the ninetieth minute and all noise fell dead. Just as that happened the forth official signaled for one extra minute. Right when the board went up, Cowchester United had stolen the ball. They charged down the field like a freight train. When they got near the goal, they passed it outside to Nani. He took the ball and looked for someone open in the middle. Then he saw Rooney’s hand shoot up like a rocket. Nani struck the ball well as it flew toward Rooney. The problem was the cross was behind him. Rooney did just what Bobby expected. He turned around so his back was to the goal and jumped. He flew through the air when he flung his head back. Then when he was completely up side down, he kicked the ball with his foot. The ball flew through the air into the back of the net. The referee blew his whistle for full time as Rooney had successfully scored the winning goal with a bicycle.

The crowd stormed the field as Cowchester United lifted the trophy. Bobby didn’t there was a trophy for the winner. The last game ended in August. When Cowchester United won and the celebration was over, everyone disappeared in to the cornfield. That was the last game ever to be played on that field, until next year. Bobby headed back to his house very happy as he sat down to watch Manchester United’s first game of the season.

As he watched Manchester United’s game he felt almost sad. This might be the real thing, but he still wishes he could run the league. And then, Bobby set his DVR to record the game and took off toward the field. He ran and ran and ran until he reached the center of his field. Then he kicked the ball into the goal and realized, this is where he belonged. And with that, he started planning next years season.