The 69th Annual Hunger Games--Emma's Story | Teen Ink

The 69th Annual Hunger Games--Emma's Story

December 12, 2016
By WeirdosUnite GOLD, Prairie Farm, Wisconsin
More by this author
WeirdosUnite GOLD, Prairie Farm, Wisconsin
10 articles 5 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Give me your hands if we be friends, and Robin shall restore amends"~Puck, A Midsummer Night's Dream


Author's note:

I LOVE the Hunger Games, and wanted to write a really interesting Fan Fiction about it that expresses my writing style as well as Suzanne Collins'.

The day I got picked for the Hunger Games dawned bright and clear, with the hum of the power plant and the rush of the dam in my ears.

"Emma!" My mom's voice called, jarring me out of a sound sleep. "Yeah?" I called groggily, opening my eyes. "Honey, the Reaping is in an hour!" Mom called. This time I sat up, heart pounding. This was my first Reaping. "It's already 9-o-clock?" I exclaimed. Mom nodded. "Yes. Now get up, so we can get you ready!"

I sprang out of bed, and mom turned into a human tornado. First she had me make my bed and eat some toast. Then she boiled water on the stove and put it into our big iron tub. I climbed in and scrubbed myself with our last chunk of lye soap. Then I got out and mom helped me into a nice pink dress with old Mary Jane shoes, and she braided my long  ginger hair. "You look beautiful, Em." I hugged her. "Thanks, mom."

I knew that if I was Reaped she'd be distraught. After father died last year in a power plant accident it was just the two of us. I prayed with all my might that I wouldn't get Reaped.

At around 9 fifty three we headed for the square, which was surrounded by shops and the school. I headed for the sign in station and signed my name in shaky handwriting on a single slip of white paper: Emmeline Brooks.

Then I headed to the faruthest from the stage roped off section to stand with the other 12 year olds, my heart pounding. "You'll be fine." Hernnrietta, my best friend, said softly. "So will you." I told her. We held hands as the Treaty of the Treason was read by Mayor Yund, and as District 5's Victors took their seats on the stage. Then Tungle, our to-perky Capitol Escort, climbed onto the stage, looking very out of place in his bright blue suit.

"Welcome, and Happy Hunger Games!" He cried perkily, his voice magnified by a microphone. "We don't have much time, so we should get right to it, I suppose." I felt sick, and Henn clutched my hand harder. "May the odds be ever in your favor, Em." I took a shaky deep breath. "Same to you, Hennri." We gave each other weak smiles as Tungle crossed the stage to the two big glass Reaping Balls.

"It's ladies first, of course!" He said as he reached into the reaping ball on the right--the girls'. He pawed around in it for a while before drawing out a slip of paper.

As he walked to the microphone I started hyperventalating.  Not me! Not Hennri!  I thought as he unfolded it and read out the name, clear as a bell:

"Emmeline Brooks."

I felt horrified. No!! I thought. "Come on up, dear." Tungle said. Hennri nodded and pushed me forward. "Go on, Em." I nodded and swallowed hard. You can do this, Emma!  I started making my way towards the stage, and I was feeling sick again when I came to stand by Tungle.

He smile at me and reached into the boys' Reaping ball. He drew out a name and read it:

"Kyle Undersop."

A burly 16 year old made his way to the stage, and Tungle called for volunteers. No one. For either of us. "Shake hands." Tungle ordered. We shook, and then we stood to face the crowd as Tungle said "Good luck to both of you, and may the odds be ever in your favor."

I felt terrified but I was determined not to show it. It was a sign of weakness, and I was dtermined to prove that I was NOT weak.

I was ushered into the big, forbidding-looking Justice Building in District 5's Square for my hour of goodbyes before the trip to the Capitol.

The Justice Building was large, grey, and, in my opinion, scary. The inside, though, was anything but scary! Lavish furnishings adorned the room where I was taken, and I kept running my hand over the plush couch. I had no idea what it was made of--it wasn't any of the fabrics I knew, which were wool, cotton, and, every once in a while, hemp. And the coffee table - it was GLASS!

I was startled out of my thoughts when the door to the room opened and Hennri ran in. "EMMA!" She wailed, flinging herself at me. I swallowed the big lump that had grown in my throat and choked out, "Hennrietta." We held each other, and then she pulled away and began talking very fast. I should have known she'd have advice for me - she was the smartest girl in our whole school.

"Listen, Em. You can win the Games. You have skills - the way you can talk your way out of anything, your mad knot tying skills, your brains, and your wit. Team up with people from outlying Districts, because they'll be less likely to kill you the second you turn your back. Also, remember this: I'll be rooting for you, and so will your mother. I know you'll be the one to leave that Arena. Good luck, Emmeline Jasmine Brooks."

We hugged again, and then she left. I sank to the couch, fighting back tears.

The door opened again, and mom walked in. "Oh, Emma." She said softly, and I ran to her. "You can win - I know you can. You're smart, brave, and very strong. If anyone deserves to leave that Arena, it's you." She whispered. "Thank you, mom." I said, tears leaking from my eyes. We hugged again, and she pressed a small thing into my hand. "For the Arena." She whispered. Then she left the room as well.

I sat there in silence until a white-clad Peacekeeper came to take me to the car that would take me to the train station.

The car was lavish, but the train...it was more than that. I couldn't even begin to describe the finery! Crystal, silver, gold, and polished wood surrounded us. Tungle showed Kyle and I to our rooms - cars - and I collapsed. I was tired as heck, and I fell asleep instantly, the events of the day catching up to me. I didn't wake up until it was time for supper.

I sat in my car without moving for a long time after I got called to Supper.

I decided to look at the thing mom had given me, and I was surprised when I see that it was a ring. My birthstone ring, with a ruby and everything. "Mom wasn't going to give this to me until I turned 18." I murmured, turning the ring over in my fingers. "But I guess the Games changed her mind."

A knock on my door startled me. "Hello?" I called. Tungle's voice responded. "Emma! Kyle and your mentors are waiting!" I sighed and slipped the ring on. "Coming, Tungle!" I called.

I went to the dining car and took my place at one of the lavishly decorated tables. Kyle, Tungle, and two Victors from District 5--I didn't know their names--were sitting, already tucking in to vast plates of food.

I hesitantly served myself. It looked to good to be true! Meat, fish, vegetables, fruits, and breads were just a few. I ate and ate and ate, ignoring Tungle's warnings of "Manners, Emma!" Kyle looked at me, rolling his eyes, and I stifled a giggle. Kyle got that Tungle was not used to seeing hungry people eat.

After our main meal had been cleared away by attendants, Tungle turned to Kyle and I as dessert was served. After I loaded my plate with cakes, cookies, eclairs, and ice cream molds, and Kyle had loaded his with pudding and chocolate dipped fruit, Tungle cleared his throat.

"Do you know these Victor's names?" He asked. "Um, no." I said, stuffing a piece of fruit flavored cake in my mouth. "Yes." Kyle said with his mouth full of pudding. I looked at him, surprised. "You do?" He nodded. "Yeah. The woman is Annaleise, and the man is Christopher." Tungle nodded. "Correct. Emma, your mentor will be Annalesise, and Kyle, your mentor is Christopher."

Annaleise, a pretty woman in her thirties, reached across the table and shook my hand. "Nice to meet you, Emmeline." I smiled as I shook her hand. "Nice to meet you, to. And please call me Emma. Or Em." She smiled, "Okay, Emma. And please, call me Anna. Or Ann." I nodded."All right, Anna." Kyle and Christopher were shaking hands as well, and Kyle was laughing. I was pleased our Mentors were such easygoing people.

That night I fell asleep right away, feeling full and happy. After Supper Anna and Christopher had gathered Kyle and I in the lounge car and told us a little bit about Sponsors, and we watched the replay of the Reapings. A few Tributes jumped out at me:

A small, timid looking girl who volunteered from 7, a big burly 18 boy year old from 1, and the girls from 1 and 4, both big, fierce, and bloodthirsty. And, of course, the boys from 2 and 4--they were like the girls. I shivered when the boy from 4 lunged forward to volunteer.

Now, laying in my bed, I fell asleep thinking about the reapings and the tributes I'd have to face.

The next morning, after a lavish breakfast, I was in the lounge car with Anna, when I heard Tungle call out, "we're here!!" I sprang to my feet and ran to the dining car.

And there was the Capitol! Shiny silver and candy-colored buildings towering, a huge crazily dressed crowd waving at the train. I went up to the window and waved at them, figuring it couldn't hurt to get people to like me. "C'mon, Kyle!" I called.

He hesitantly walked over to me and waved as well. The crowd waved excitedly back.

When Tungle and our mentors got off the train with us it was chaos. "Emmeline! Kyle!" The crowd called. I smiled and waved as we were ushered to the Remake Center to get beautified by our Prep Teams.

I took a deep breath as we were ushered through the doors to the long silver building. My Hunger Games Experience had official begun.

The author's comments:
I hope to post all 23 chapters someday, but I hope you like this one.

In the Remake Center I was made "Pretty" by my Prep Team: Tahuk, a young man with flame colored hair, Yessta, a pretty woman dressed in violet, and Ursla, a woman with crazy fake eyelashes, fingernails, and hair. They waxed my legs, arms, torso and armpits, trimmed my nails, smoothed my hair, polished me, and washed every inch of me with a rough soap.

"Done, and pretty as a picture!" Yessta chirped cheerfully. "Capitol-worthy!" Tahuk said. "I think the crowds will love her tonight in the Tribute Parade!" Yessta exclaimed.

I managed a small smile. "Thanks, you guys! I do look nice!" They smiled and nodded. Then they left, saying, "Your stylist will be with you shortly!" I thanked them and sat up on the silver table, wondering who my stylist would be. Hopefully someone nice. I thought nervously.

Then the door opened and a young woman in hot pink and lime green walked in. She had a warm smile, and right away I liked her, despite her crazy pink wig. "Hello, Emmeline. My name is Jaden." I smiled back. "Hi. Call me Emma, please. Everyone does. And my friends call me Em or Emmie." Jaden smiled. "Well, let's start with Emma." I nodded. "All right, Jaden." She nodded. "Good. Now, down to buisness." I sat up straighter. "Yes?" Jaden studied me. "I need to think about your look for the Parade tonight." I gulped. "Um, okay. Think away." She chuckled. "I will."

I couldn't help but be exited. I was sort of looking forward to the Parade! 'I hope my costume is cool.' I thought as Jaden studied me critically.

A little while later Jaden lead me into a dressing room, and I was dressed in my outfit for the Tribute Parade. I gasped with instant love for it when I saw it.

It was a bright silver dress with little light bulbs all over it, giving the impression I was glowing. The head dress was BEAUTIFUL--gold with different colored light bulbs all over it. The shoes were simple copper-colored sandals. "I love it." I said softly, and Jaden beamed. "I'm glad!" Then my Prep Team attacked me. They gave me silver and gold makeup, beautiful braids, and lovely nail polish. I was deemed ready.

I was lead to a giant hanger where the Tribute's chariots were waiting. District 5's Chariot was lovely--silver and lit up, and our horses were pitch black. Kyle's outfit was nice, I guess. A lit-up suit and hat with shoes like mine. "Okay--it's time." Anna and Christopher said. I nodded, and Kyle smiled. We climbed onto our chariot and I turned away from him as if he wasn't there. I thought he did the same, but I couldn't be sure.

Then, before I was ready, Panem's anthem was playing, and the hanger's doors opened. This was it. The Tribute Parade had begun.

District 1's silk and velvet dressed tributes rolled out, waving and smiling. Then District 2, with their silver, gold, and tan masonry themed costumes. Then 3, (music chip covered ensembles) then 4, (green fish) then....it was our turn. Our chariot rolled out onto the tribute's avenue, and I was deafened by the crowd's cheering. "DISTRICT 5!" I heard someone call out. I began to feel more confidant. Maybe, if I put on just the right amount of charm, I can win myself some Sponsors tonight! I thought, my heart lifting. I looked up at the crowds and smiled, waved, and blew kisses. I was actually having, well, not fun, exactly, but not that bad of a time. This is easy! I thought as I waved to a bunch of children who were laughing and cheering. One of them called out, "Emmeline!" I laughed. She was pretty cute, with her little girl smile and big eyes.

I snuck a glance at Kyle. He was staring at the crowds, sometimes offering a wave or a smile, but mostly just staring. If he doesn't get sponsors, it's not my fault. I thought.

When we reached the end of the Parade Route President Snow stood up from his seat on a balcony and raised his hand to silence the cheering crowd. "Welcome, welcome! Tributes, welcome! You are honored guests while you are here! And welcome to the 69th Hunger Games! May the odds be ever in your favor." He smiled at us and sat back down. Panem's anthem played and then the chariots went back to the hanger.

In the hanger I stepped down from our chariot, grinning. I looked over to my right and saw the girl from 6, Bella, I thought, looking at me. She looked a bit older than me, but then again, almost everyone here was older then me! I'd only seen one other Twelve year old. The boy from 8. I smiled at Bella, and she returned the smile. I felt hopeful. Maybe we can be allies--or maybe even friends! I thought as Kyle and I were taken via a wonderful elevator to our apartment in the Training Center.

The author's comments:
The character Bella is not my creation. A friend on another website (Wattpad) gave me the character

That night I barely registered how nice my room was. I was so tired after our elaborate dinner that I fell sound asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. The next day was training.

The next morning I was awakened by a silent green clad servant girl opening my drapes. She looked about 18. "Morning." I said brightly. She nodded but didn't speak. I shrugged. Maybe she'd taken a vow of silence or something.

I got out of bed and walked into the bathroom, where I had a lot of fun playing with the shower. By the time I got out I'd pressed each button at least once and smelled very interesting. I put on my training uniform, which was a pair of black pants with gold stripes on the legs, a tight T-shirt with gold stripes on the sleeves, neckline, and hem, and a big gold number 5 on the back and sleeves, and knee-high lace up boots. Then I braided my hair and went down to breakfast, where Kyle, Anna, Tungle, Christopher, and our stylists were waiting.

"Morning." I said, sitting down. "Morning." Kyle said. I helped myself to some of everything. While we ate our Mentors talked to us.

"So, Emma. I want you to focus on the thing that you are not good at today, and the thing you are good at tomorrow." Anna told me. "I'm pretty good at fighting." I told her. She nodded. "Okay. Focus on survival skills today, then." I nodded, feeling nervous. I still regarded the Games as a death sentence.

After breakfast Kyle and I took the elevator to the gym, where we'd be training. We were the last to arrive, and I joined Kyle in the circle of tributes that were standing, listening to the trainer. "Two of these will be group exercises. After that you're on your own. Remember--DO NOT IGNORE THE SURVIVAL SKILLS. A lot of you will die from natural causes." She finished, and we all lined up to begin the first group exercise--an obstacle course.

I was second to go, with Bella right in front of me. "Hi again." She whispered. "Hey." I said softly. Then we had to go on the course, which involved jumping, running, climbing, ducking, and dodging obstacles such as wedges, bars, and nets. It was hard and fun, and I made it across okay.

"Nice job!" Bella praised when I made it across. "Thanks--you to." I told her, panting a little.

After the course was another group exercise--monkey bar like rings that twisted and moved around when you crossed them. I saw the girl from 7--Lydia, I heard someone call her--was strong but frightened. She looked about 16, and when confronted with the rings she turned pale. The Careers laughed. That made Lydia take a deep breath and do the rings. When it was my turn I climbed the ladder and grabbed the first ring. It wobbled, and I felt my hands grow slick. I took a breath and grabbed the next ring with my right hand. I made it halfway across before I fell, landing on my butt. I felt my hands smarting and felt embaressed. I stuck to individual skills after that.

At the end of the day I knew how to identify plants, set traps, set snares, build a fire, tie helpful knots, paint a basic camoflauge pattern on my arms, and climb pretty well. (The climbing wall was pretty easy--I'd had practice at home, climbing the sheer, slippery dam walls to check the water pressure.) I said goodbye to Bella at the end of the day ("Call me Belle", she said.) and went back to 5's floor with Kyle, who'd learned fighting skills.

I was looking forward to the next day. Then I could brush up on my fighting skills.

The author's comments:
I hope you like it! If you do, please comment:)

The next morning I woke up early after having a horrible dream.

In my dream I was in the Games, and suddenly Hennri leaped out at me and stabbed my stomach. I woke up as my cannon went off. "HELP!" I cried, sitting up in bed.

Then, once I calmed my racing heart, I was able to get up and get dressed in my training uniform and put my long hair in a bun. "It was just a dream." I muttered. I was having more and more of these awful nightmares as the Games drew closer, and I was getting more freaked out every day.

Gathering my courage, I went down to breakfast and joined Kyle at the table. "Hey, Tungle?" I asked as I loaded my plate from the buffet. "Yes, Emma?" He replied. "Who are the silent servants? Are they under a vow of silence?" He chuckled. "Of course not, silly girl. They're Avoxes. People who have committed crimes against the Capitol. They had their tongues cut out as punishment." I felt my stomach grow queasy. "Oh." I said softly. Kyle shook his head. "That's horrible!" He said in disgust. I agreed.

That day, in the training center, I headed right for the weapons. "Hey - Emma!" I heard someone call. I turned around. There was Bella, her long hair in a neat ponytail. "Hey, Belle!" I called, happy to see her. I waited for her to catch up to me, then I said, "I'm going to go over to the knife throwing station. Want to come?" She smiled. "Sure, Emma! Knives are the one weapon I suck at, and I could use some practice." I smiled. "Cool! I can help you a bit - in 5 I was in charge of cutting lengths of metal for our dam's walls, and I used knives that were bigger than these."

We go over to the knife station and I saw the girl from 1 - Greta, I heard someone say - throw a knife at a dummy and hit it's head. "Woah." Bella said. "Yeah." I said under my breath. Do not mess with Greta! I thought, heading over to the knives.

"Hm." I mused, looking at the wide selection. I selected a small knife with a jagged blade and said to Bella, "I'm starting with a small knife. For practice." She nodded and selected another small one, not unlike mine.

I stood back and stared at the dummy, thinking about how to throw my knife. I decided to try for the dummy's heart. I took aim and let the knife fly. It missed the heart and went into the dummy's arm. "Dammit!" I cursed. "Try again, Em." Bella said. I nodded and selected another knife, bigger than the first. This time I aimed for the brain. My knife hit the target, square on. "Nice!" Bella cheered. "Now I'll try." I gave her some tips on aiming, and let her loose. "Good luck." She nodded. "Thanks." She took a deep breath, took careful aim...and hit the dummy, a perfect shot, right in the middle of the dummy's stomach. "Wow! Nice one, Belle!" I cheered.

After knives, I went over to the swords and Bella went over to the spears. I selected a smallish sword and decided to try my hand at fighting an instructor. I was pretty good, much to my surprise.

"Nice thrust, but I'd recommend getting in a little closer." The instructor told me. "Right. Like this?" I darted closer and skimmed his arm with my sword. "Perfect." He said, smiling.

During lunch Bella and I talked about our Districts. I told her about the dam and power plants and she told me about factories. "I help make trains." She informed me. "Cool. I help repair the dam." I told her.

After training was over that day I'd learned how to throw knives, sword fight, and use a slingshot. I could also shoot a bow pretty well. I felt satisfied about my skills, and I was confidant about my private session with the Gamemakers the next day. Even though I was only 12 I felt like I might get a score above 5.

The author's comments:
Sorry about the lame title

On the final day of training I wake up, feeling sick with worry about my private session with the Gamemakers. I swallow my fear and get up, wiping my sweaty palms on my nightgown. I put on my training uniform and pull the front of my hair back in a half up half down style. Then I say to myself, you are Emma, a girl who can handle storms and death. The training session is nothing! But I don't believe it. Not really, at least, Okay. Well, I sort of believe it.

I head down to breakfast and stuff myself, mostly so I won't have to talk to Anna and Tungle about my session with the Gamemakers. I'm only twelve years old and not even five feet tall, though, so I know I'll have to work hard to impress them. Not Kyle, though, with his muscly six-ft-2 build.

After a sixth cup of hot chocolate I swallow my nerves and say, "I'm going to the gym." Tungle and Anna nod, and Anna says, "Good luck, Emma. I know you can impress them." I smile weakly and say, "Thanks. I'll need it." I nod to Tungle and wave to Anna on my way out.

When I get to the gym I sit down next to Kyle, who runs in as soon as I sit. "Hey." He pants. "Hi." I say. I'm to nervous to talk more, and I'm glad he respects that. Kyle isn't so bad.

One by one the tributes get called in. The girl from 1 runs into the gym, while the bout from 3 drags his feet. Maybe he's nervous as well. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who feels scared to death.

When it's my turn I go in, wondering how Kyle did. I walk up to the Gamemaker's table and say loudly and clearly, "Emma, from District 5." A few look at me, but most of them don't. I don't really care, since I just want to get this OVER WITH.

I walk to the climbing wall. I decide to show off my climbing skills, and, if I have time, my archery.

I take a deep breath and start climbing, focusing on making it up the wall without falling. I make it, and I can climb back down. I feel relieved. I didn't blow it.

Then I walk over to the archery station. I sneak a look at the Gamemakers. More of them are looking at me, and a couple look impressed. I begin to feel more confidant.

At the archery station I choose a silver bow and test it's weight. Not bad. I think. Then I shoot three arrows at a dummy. Two make it to their targets, but the third one clatters to the floor.

I hear chuckles, and I know that a Gamemaker is laughing. I feel slightly embaressd.

I hear a Gamemaker say, "You may go." And I walk out of the gym as fast as I can. I hope I at least get a four in scoring. I don't think I'll get above that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That evening the scores are televised. Kyle's team and my team gather with us in the sitting room as Panem's seal appears on the screen. The Careers get scores in the 8 - 11 range, with District 4's girl getting a 12. When my headshot appears on the screen I hold my breath. "From District 5 we have Emma, with a score of..." I hold my breath as Ceaser looks at the paper in his hands. "7." He finishes, and I let out a whoop. "YES!" I cry, fist-pumping the air. Kyle gets a 9, and I feel happy for him. A 9 is good!

When Bella's score is announced, I cross my fingers. "From Distrcit 6 we have Bella, with a score of...7." Ceaser says. I grin. Bella got the same score as me!

Kyle and I congratulate each other, and Tungle, our stylists, and Anna and Christopher also congratulate us. I feel really happy. 7. That's better than I could have hoped for!

The author's comments:
I hope you like the pre-interview stuff - I suck at writing about things like that.

The day after my session with the Gamemakers is when Tungle and Anna will work with me to prep me for my interview the next day. Tungle and Christopher will work with Kyle. I can't say I'm exited.

"Wake up, Emmeline!" Tungle's voice rouses me from a sound sleep. "Mmph." I grumble, putting my pillow over my head. "Goway." Tungle yanks the pillow from my head. "No can do! Upsy Daisy!"I groan but tumble out of bed anyway. "I'm up." I say, yawning. "Sort of." Tungle instructs me to get dressed and go to the dining room. "On it." I say, rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

After a nice, long, lemony-scented shower, I feel ready to get dressed. I debate over a cute but girly (Blech) pink dress and a nice pair of skinny jeans and a sequined top. I decide on the jeans and top, and I add heels, lip gloss, braids, and a shrug. Nice.

I go into the dining room, where everyone else is waiting already. Figures. "Morning!" I say brightly, helping myself to fruit, eggs, pancakes, toast, bacon, potatoes, and pudding. "Morning, Emma!" Kyle says. "Sleep well?" Asks Anna. "Yeah." I say, my mouth full. Tungle glares at me, and I hurriedly swallow my hash browns.

"So, what's on today's agenda?" I ask, gulping my hot chocolate. "Interview Prep." Says Tungle. I raise my eyebrows. "What does that involve?" I ask curiously. "Well, Tungle will work with you for four hours on poise, manners, and that sort of thing. Then I'll work with you on what sort of angle we want for your interview." Anna explains. I nod. "Okee dokee!"

After breakfast, Tungle takes me to a sitting room and sits me on the couch. "Now, what do you know about manners?" He asks. I have to think. "Well...Mom's grilled me on table manners, good posture, and indoor voices." I respond. He smiles. "Let's see what you've got."

He asks me to stand up and says, "Stand up straight." I do. He frowns. "Pretty good, but your shoulders need to be less slouched, your head shouldn't be cocked, and your arms should not be in your jeans pockets." I fix my posture. "Like this?" He beams. "Perfect!" I smile. I'm glad I pleased him.

After posture I get tought how to sit up nice and tall, walk in foot-high heels, and be nice and ladylike. I do all right, and Tungle is pleased.

Then Anna works with me.

The session with Anna is fun, and, after a lot of thinking, she decides we'll present me as nice, confidant, and chatty. "I am nice and chatty, and I'm becoming more confidant." I tell Anna happily. She grins. "I think you've got this interview thing in the bag!" I beam. "I think so to!" And I do. I feel more confidant. And if I don't get sponsors in the Games I'll be surprised, because I feel like I can make everyone love me when tomorrow night comes.

The author's comments:
I hope you like this as a PART ONE finale!

The next morning I don't wake up with a fluttering stomach. I wake up feeling confidant. I feel like I can ace this interview thing and get loads of sponsors.

I spring out of bed and start whistling an old song called "Demons", by a band called Imagine Dragons. They died when the floods, wars, fires, and earthquakes destroyed North America and created Panem. I like their music.

After a nice long shower I get dressed in a pink tunic and white leggings and go to breakfast. For once, I'm not the last one there. Kyle is. I'm already halfway through my cake when he arrives, dressed in a blue T-shirt and tight black pants. "Morning, all." He says, yawning. "Morning." We reply. He looks at me, surprised. "Oh, Emma. You're up early!" I grin. "Sure am, lazybones!" Tungle frowns. "Emma!" I shrug. I can call him lazybones if I want. "OK, OK." I say hurriedly.

After breakfast Kyle and I have the day to ourselves until six-o-clock, when we go eat dinner and get prepped for our interviews. Kyle goes onto the roof of the Training Center. I take a nap and order dessert. Having free time feels awesome!

At six-o-clock sharp I go to the dining room, where Tungle and our mentors prep us for the interviews. "Go for the angle we decided for you." Christopher tells Kyle. "Don't forget - smile, smile, smile." Anna tells me. "If you mess up, cover it with a joke." Tungle adds. I nod, feeling the tiniest bit nervous. Kyle smiles. "I've got this in the bag." I nod. "Me to." I say confidently.

After dinner Kyle and I are taken to our bedrooms, where our prep teams and stylists await us. Jaden, Tahuk, Yessta, and Ursla descend on me. I feel slightly overwhelmed. Ursla and Tahuk work on my hair, leaving it down but pinning my bangs back to highlight my face more. "Lovely." Tahuk says. "Gorgeous." Adds Ursla. Yessta does my makeup, giving me lip gloss, blush, mascara, and lovely gold patterns on my arms. Then Jaden brings out my dress. Knee-length and made out of a floaty blue fabric, it has gathered sleeves and an empire waist with a scoop neck and flowy looking sash with gems sewn into it. Then come my shoes. Simple white sandals with a slight heel. Then a flower garland is placed in my hair with long ribbons flowing down my back. I look in the mirror and gasp with delight. "Oh, it's beautiful!" I exclaim. Jaden smiles. "I'm glad you like it, Emma." I smile back. "Like it? I love it!" Jaden chuckles. "I'm glad."

Then Tungle comes to fetch me and we walk to the elevator, where Kyle is waiting in a striking blue suit. "Nice dress." He says. "Nice suit." I reply.

We're taken to a car that drives us to the stage where the interviews will be. once we're in line with the other tributes I barely focus on the interviews for districts 1 - 4. Then Ceaser Flickerman calls me onstage, and I walk on, hoping I appear confidant.

Ceaser, his hair a striking lime green, greets me. "Emmeline! Please, sit." I sit in the chair that's next to Ceaser's. "Thank you, Ceaser." He smiles. "No problem. Can you tell me about that dress?" I look down at it, smiling. "I love it! My stylist, Jaden, really outdid herself!" Ceaser laughs, and I feel relieved. "We can all agree on that!" He says. I giggle, feeling foolish. Then Ceaser says, "So, what do you think about your time in the Capitol?" I think for a moment before saying, "It's...not like home. And I love it so much!" Ceaser grins. "What do you love about it?" I laugh. "Everything! But...the clothing is nice. So comfortable!" Ceaser laughs. "I agree with you there!" Then he regains his composure and says, "What do you think about your score in training? 7 is a good score for a 12 year old." I think. "Hm. Well, it was very unexpected - for me! But I was happy, because I think I'll win some sponsors." Ceaser nods. "No doubt there! You sound confidant." I nod eagerly. "I am! I think I have a chance at winning the Games!" Ceaser stands up as the buzzer goes off. "Well, I wish you the best of luck, Emmeline." We shake hands, and I say, "Thank you, Ceaser."

Kyle does well, acting strong and charming. The crowd loves him.

Bella's interview goes nicely, with her in a shocking pink mini dress. She presents herself as shy and sweet, a personality that matches her really well. I feel happy, knowing that we both aced our interviews. I'm not feeling that scared about the Games, which are...tomorrow.

END OF PART ONE: THE CAPITOL

The author's comments:
Aaaanndddd the action begins! Happy Hunger Games!

Part Two: The Hunger Games

The next morning I wake up with butterflies in my stomach. The Hunger Games are today. I feel more confidant than I did before, but I'm still pretty nervous. Will I even be alive at the end of today? I think as I lie in bed, not wanting to face the reality of the day and what it brings. Not wanting to get up, I turn over and go back to sleep.

"Emmmmaaaa!" Tahuk, Yessta, and Ursla, are here, waiting to get to work. Tungle is with them, as is Anna. "Mmmph." I reply. "Upsy Daisy!" Tungle says cheerily. "You've got a big day ahead of you, and we need to get right to work."

Anna seems more sympathetic, and she whispers, "I'll make sure the morning isn't to awful, all right? I know you're nervous. I was to." Well, that helps me get up. A little. "I'm coming." I grumble, getting out of bed. "Can I take a shower, please? I want to go into the Games clean." Tungle nods. "Of course!" I smile gratefully at him and run to the bathroom, just in case they change their minds.

In the shower I take as long as I can in the warm water and sweet smelling soaps, foams, oils, and mists. "Emmeline! Time to get out!" Tungle calls after about 30 minutes Sighing, I turn off the water and step onto the mat that triggers the blow dryer. Then a machine combs the knots from my hair. I look at myself in the bathroom mirror for a second before going to face my team. I look confidant and slightly nervous. Which is how I feel.

I go back into my bedroom wrapped in a thick fleecy bathrobe. "Time to get to work!" Tahuk chirps. I allow them to remove the robe and study me with a critical eye. At last, as I'm starting to get bored standing there, Yessta nods. "You look fine." I feel relieved. At least I don't have to stand still anymore. "Now what?" I ask. "Your hair!" Ursla says. "And then you get dressed." I nod. Not to bad. I like having my hair done. I think as my prep team gets to work. When they're done I have a beautiful french braid going down my back. "I love it!" I exclaim. "It's so me!" My prep team smiles, clearly happy I like their styling choices. Then I get dressed in the outfit for the Games: Black jeans, a olive green long sleeved tee, and brown and grey running shoes. I like it. "Well, time to go." Tungle says. I nod and take a deep breath. "Thank you for everything." I tell my prep team. We exchange quick hugs. Then I turn to Tungle. "You're the best escort ever." He smiles. "Thank you, Emmeline." We shake hands, then Anna escorts me to the door. It's time to board the Hovercraft.

"Any last advice, Anna?" I ask in a trembling voice as we stand by the boarding ramp. "If you see anything that you really need at the Cornucopia, go for it. But if not...get the hell away from there." She says firmly. I nod shakily. "Thanks. I will." We hug briefly, then I climb into the Hovercraft.

In the Hovercraft a Peacekeeper seats me next to Bella and the boy from 7. I smile at Bella, and she smiles back. We're both nervous. "Good luck." I whisper. "Same." She whispers back.

A woman in a long white coat approaches me. "Give me your arm." I extend my arm and she pushes my sleeve back. She inserts a long needle into my skin, and I wince. Something on the end of the needle beeps loudly and the needle is removed. "What is that?" I ask, examining the small bump on my arm. "Your tracker, for the arena." The woman says before moving on to Bella. I push my sleeve back down. At least the tracker doesn't hurt.

The Hovercraft flies the tributes to the catacombs underneath the arena itself. All through the flight I'm quiet, and so is everyone else. Talking seems to casual, I guess.
When we get to our destination a Peacekeeper escorts me to the launch room for the girl from District 5. The door says just that: Launch room--Girl: District 5. I enter, and the door shuts behind me. Jaden is there. "Eat." She commands, pointing to the food laid out on a table. I'm hungry, so I do. I eat until I'm full, then I drink three glasses of water. "Done." I tell Jaden. She nods and goes over to a coat rack. She removes a brown fall jacket and helps me into it. "You'll be fine." She says. I nod. "I know I will be." Then a robotic female voice says, "60 seconds to Launch." And Jaden gently leads me over to the metal plate that will take me to the arena. We embrace, and she whispers, "I know you'll win. Good luck, Emma." I smile. "Thanks, Jaden." Then I climb onto the metal plate, my heart pounding. "10 seconds." The voice says a little while later. I take a deep breath, press my shoulders back, lift my chin, and smile. A plastic tube closes around me, and the plate rises to ground level. I blink in the sunlight, and I hear Claudius Templesmith's voice say, "Ladies and Gentleman, let the 69th Annual Hunger Games begin!"

The author's comments:
I hope this wasn't too gory or violent...

When I hear Claudius' announcement I look around at my surroundings while I wait for the gong to sound. The Cornucopia sits in the middle of a clearing, and all around me is a beautiful sun-lit forest with a slight hint of fall on the air. A light breeze rustles the trees, and some of the leaves are a light brown or orange. I'd say the temperature is about 65 - 70 degrees, probably around 67.

I look around at the other tributes: Bella, her blonde hair in a messy bun, is to my right, with Kyle three plates to my left. To my direct left is the girl from 10. Josie, I think her name is. Her training score was a 5.

I start making a plan. I'll do a quick survey of the Cornucopia and see if there's anything I need. Then, if there is, I'll make a grab for it. Then I'll run like hell.

The gong sounds, and I take off running. I see Bella grab a small weapon and start running towards a pile of water jugs, already filled. I grab the first weapon I see - a spear - and run towards her. "Bella!" She looks up. "Em!" I make a grab for the water at the same she does, and we grapple for it. "I need it!" I insist. "So do I!" She snaps. I really don't want to hurt her, but I do need that water. I hook my spear's tip in her pants leg and cut her shin. "OW!" She screams, dropping the water. "Sorry!" I call, picking up the jugs. I don't look back to see if she's following me. Anything else I need? I wonder, quickly looking around. I see a medium sized plastic box and run towards it, grabbing it and running away.

As I run away from the Cornucopia I'm stopped by Greta, from 1. "Going somewhere?" She asks. I try and dodge her, but she throws a knife at me, and it skims my arm. I feel blood begin to trickle down my sleeve and I know she's injured me. "Yes. I am." I say, planning to go around her. But she senses my plan, and she throws another knife. I duck and block it with my spear tip. It lands at my feet, and Greta curses. "Dammit! You'll pay for losing my knife, you little brat." I feel frightened, but I try not to show it. I run at Greta and, as she gets ready to throw another knife, I jam my spear into her arm, yank it out, and run. I make it to the trees and hide behind one, hoping I can get Bella's attention somehow. I watch the Bloodbath for a little bit, and it isn't pretty.

I see Josie grab a backpack and run, but the boy from 4 catches up to her. They fight for a bit, but she ends up getting a spear in her stomach. She doubles over, and the boy runs off as she falls - but not before taking her supplies.

The boy from 6 sees Lydia and runs towards her, as if to ask for an alliance. But she turns on him and kills him.

I see the girl from 12 clutching a box to her chest attempting to sneak away, but Greta finds her and stabs her in the back. The girl falls over, and Greta stabs her three more times, splattering the box with blood. Then she leaves the clearly dead girl.

I try and spot Bella, and at last I do. She's hiding in the Cornucopia, holding a sword, clearly waiting for the right time to run. The boy from 11 and the girl from 2 are fighting near her, but the don't notice her. And when the girl wraps her arms around the boy's throat and chokes him to death, Bella doesn't make a sound. Then the girl grabs a mace, sword, and bow and leaves. Bella springs up and sprints for the trees.

"Bella!" I hiss. She sees me and runs over to me. "Em!" I look at her. "Allies?" She nods. "Deal." We run away from the Cornucopia until we find a tall thick tree, where we hide behind its trunk.


"That was awful to watch." I say to Bella. "Yeah. I saw two people die. The boy from 11 and the girl from 3." I sigh. "I saw Josie - from 10, the boy from 6, the girl from 12, and the boy from 11 die." Bella is silent. "Four?" "Four." We sit in silence for a while until we hear footsteps. "We should get moving. Get away from the Bloodbath." I say. Bella agrees, and we start moving again. I still feel weak with relief. We both survived the Bloodbath.

The author's comments:
Dud duh duh.

Bella and I stop and catch our breath. As we stand there the cannons start going off. I guess the Bloodbath is over. I think.

"1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7..." Bella counts the cannons. 10 in all. 10 dead. 14 left to play. "Josie...the girl from 12...the boy from 11...the boy from 3...the boy from 6...five more are dead, besides them." I murmur. Bella nods. "And that means the Careers will be on the move. We'd better keep moving." I nod. "Yeah. Find a good hidey spot."

So we do. And it's not long before we find one. It's under a big tree, but it's in the shade, so it's sort of hard to see us, and we can see the surrounding woods perfectly.

"Perfect!" Bella exclaims. I nod, and we crawl into the nice shady space.

"Let's see what's in your box." She suggests. I smile. "Good idea!" I open it and grin.
Inside are three rolls of bandages, a bottle of infection medicine, two packages of dried fruit, meat, and nut mixture, a flashlight, and a device for purifying water. "Good haul." Bella notes. I grin. "It has a bit of everything!"

Then I remember. "Um...about....cutting your leg....I'm sorry..." Bella looks troubled before replying, "No sweat! But...can we use a little bit of bandage and, um, patch it up?" I exclaim, "Absolutely!" I bandage her cut, and she smiles. "I'm glad you grabbed that box!" I nod. "Yeah. Me to. We also have weapons and that water. We're set, at least for a little while."

Suddenly we hear something. "Footsteps!" Bella hisses. We sink back against the tree's trunk, weapons ready, ready to fight. Before long the girl from 8 comes into view. She's carrying a bow and has a backpack. I relax a little. It's not the Careers. I think. Bella seems to share my thoughts, because she isn't as tense.

The girl stops just feet from our tree, and I feel my heart race. Will she find us? Could we team up? I look at Bella, who slowly takes a shaky breath. "Let's stay stone still." I mouth, and she nods. "All right." She mouths back.

We sit there, not moving, until my right leg falls asleep. I slowly start to move it, hoping to wake it up. But it brushes against some leaves, making a soft rustling noise. I hold my breath as the girl looks around. Next to me, Bella clutches my hand. It's cold and clammy, and I'll bet mine is the same.

"Hello? Who's there?" The girl demands. She sees the tree and looks towards us. I hold my breath. "Aha! I see you! Come out." The girl orders.

Bella and I slowly creep out, weapons held high.

"Now." The girl says. "I don't want to kill you - much - but I will if I have to." I nod shakily. "Belle and I won't be trouble." "Yeah. We just want to move on." Bella adds. The girl smiles sweetly - but I feel uneasy. I don't trust that smile.

"All right." Then she calls, "GRETA!" And sprints away. Seconds later Greta and the rest of the Career pack run over. "Oooh, prey!" Squeals the girl from 4. "Shut it, Lindsy." The District 2 boy snaps.

I feel terrified. We have to run!! I mutter to Bella, "On three, run." She nods shakily. "Kay." She mutters back. I begin to count. "1...2..." But I don't get to 3, because the District 4 boy grabs my hair and drags me back. "Em!" Cries Bella. "Belle!" I cry, struggling. Greta grabs Bella's arm. "Stay still." Bella bites her, but Greta doesn't let go. Then the boy gets a gleam in his eyes. "We'll let you live, Emma, on one condition." I feel my blood freeze. "Um...what?" Lindsy grins. "You kill Bella."

I cry, "No! Never!" Greta lets out a sigh. "Then we'll kill you." I feel torn. I can't kill Bella! But I really want to go home! I turn to the boy. "Fine." I growl. I don't plan on killing Bella, but I might be able to buy me some time. Greta grabs Bella's sword and tosses it aside. Then she says, "Go on, Emma. Kill her."

I walk over to Bella, tears in my eyes. How can I kill my friend? Bella looks at me with sad eyes. "Go ahead, Em. You deserve to live." So do you! My brain screams. I feel torn. Should I kill my friend and live another day? Or should I not kill Bella and have us both killed by the Careers? I don't feel like I can ever choose. I have to kill Bella to survive the first day of the Hunger Games.

"Hurry up!" Growls Lindsy. I look into Bella's eyes, raise my spear, and make my choice. The cannon fires as Greta drops to the ground, dead.

Bella looks at me with wide eyes. "You killed Greta!" I feel numb. I killed a kid! A girl who isn't much older than me! I killed a Career!

The other Careers walk over to Greta's body as the Hovercraft descends, looking weary. Then, for no apparent reason, the boy from 2 says, "Let these two go. We should go find those tributes from 11 and 12. They'll be trouble later if we don't. We'll kill these two when they don't expect it." He sneers. As they leave the boy from 1 walks over to me and punches my nose. Then he stabs Bella's leg. "You'll regret killing my girlfriend!" Then he follows the Careers into the woods.

I turn to Bella. "I nearly killed you! I'm so sorry!" She hugs me. "It's fine. I get it. But we should scram, before we're discovered again." I nod, and we start walking into the woods.

The author's comments:
Sorry about the lame lyrics to the Anthem.

That night Bella and I find a nice nook to curl up in. It's a sort of thicket, but the walls are a sort of bush like thing, and the floor is dry leaves.

"Let's eat something." I suggest. Bella nods. "All right." So we dig out a bag of that mixture and each eat a handful. It's good, and soon my belly stops rumbling. "Ahh, food." Bella sighs. I nod. "Yeah..hey, Belle?" She looks at me, shifting her position. "Yeah, Em?" I look her in the eye. "Do you have any other nicknames besides Belle?" She smiles. "Yeah, I do. My mom calls me Bellaflower, and Dad calls me B." I grin. "Neat! Which can I call you?" She shrugs. "Don't care." I frown. "Hm. I'll try out...Bellaflower. It sounds nice." She nods. "Okay."

After our meal we set up a camp as best we can. We zip up our jackets, make sure our things are safe in the plastic box, and tighten the caps on the water jugs. Then we sit back and wait for the anthem to play, for the dead's faces to be projected into the night sky.

I still can't believe I killed a Career! I just stabbed her. It felt awful, killing a teenager, but I know I had to, for Bella to live. No way was I going to kill her!

A while later the light fades, and Bella and I curl up together, using each other's body hear to keep warm. It works, and I don't feel that cold. At last it gets dark out, and we dare to relax a little bit, knowing that tributes would be sleeping, or laying low.

Then the Anthem, "Panem Forever", plays. I sing along to the beginning.

"Panem, Panem/we rose from the ashes/Panem forever".

Then the dead tribute's faces appear:

First, from 1, Greta, with her blonde hair and striking amber eyes.

Both from 3.

The boy from 6.

Lydia.

Both from 8.

Josie.

The boy from 11.

The girl from 12.

Then the sky goes dark once more.

Feeling exhausted, Bella and I curl up and go to sleep.

"Goodnight, Em." She whispers.

"Goodnight, Bellaflower." I whisper back. Then the world of sleep sucks me in.

The author's comments:
Short chapter. Sorry. And...this is all I've written so far. Please, please, please, give me your feedback!

"Emma! Emma! Wake up!" Bella's urgent voice reaches me through my sleepy haze, and my eyelids flutter open.

"Yes, Bellaflower?" I ask sleepily, brushing my hair out of my face. "It's the Careers! They're almost here!" Bella's voice is urgent. I sit upright, wide awake now. "WHAT?!" I cry, feeling frightened.

"Hurry! I heard their footsteps - and they were talking about killing you for revenge on Greta's death!" She cries. I hastily put my hair into a ponytail, grab my box and weapons, and nod to Bella. "Let's sneak away and hope they don't find us." I whisper. She nods. "Good plan, Em."

As quietly as we can we sneak out from our hidey spot and start walking away quickly. But not quickly enough.

"There they are!" A voice cheers. "That Emma brat is mine!" Calls the girl from Two. "Not a chance, Saige!" The boy from One says. "She killed my girlfriend! She's mine!" I look at Bella, panic-stricken. "Um...now what?" I ask. "Run!" She says.

We take off, but I can feel the Careers gaining on us, and I feel horrified. Why did I have to kill Greta? Now they want to kill me and Bella!

"How can we outrun them?!" Asks Bella. "I don't know! Climb a tree, maybe?" I respond. Her face lights up. "Good idea!" We run until we see a large tree that looks as if it'll hold both of us. I urge Bella forward, but she stops me when we get to the tree. "You go first, Emma!" I don't question it, and I start to climb, going to high for my liking, until I reach a sturdy limb that's high off the ground. Not daring to look down, I straddle the limb and call, "Bellaflower! Come on!" I hear her yell, "on my way, Em!" And a few minutes later, she's next to me. And not a moment to soon. The Career pack arrives seconds after Bella joins me.

"Where'd they go, Saige?" Demands the boy from Four. "I don't know, Jake! Shut up and let me listen!" Snaps Saige. "Saige, look up." Lindsy says, pointing to us. "Nice work, Lindsy." Saige says. I look at Bella, and see my own terror on her face. "What are we going to do?" She mouths. I shrug. "I have no idea!"

Saige gathers the Careers. A few minutes later she grabs a spear and starts climbing the tree. She's good at climbing, and that makes me feel worse. "I'm coming for you." Saige sneers. I look at Bella, and we both nod. We grab fistfuls of leaves and throw them at Saige. They get in her mouth and eyes, and she loses her grip. Screaming, she falls to the ground, landing with an "Oof."

While the Careers are checking Saige over, Bella and I quickly climb down the other side of the tree and start running. After a few checks, it's clear the Careers have stopped following us. We weakly slap high fives, clutching stitches. "That - was - a - close - call." I wheeze. "Yeah." Bella huffs. I feel proud of us. We escaped the Careers! I know they'll come after us again, but for now, we're safe. Or as safe as you can be in the Games.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


on Dec. 20 2016 at 5:18 pm
WeirdosUnite GOLD, Prairie Farm, Wisconsin
10 articles 5 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Give me your hands if we be friends, and Robin shall restore amends"~Puck, A Midsummer Night's Dream

@Goshawk I believe you are familiar with the books this book is based off of, yes?