The Reconnection | Teen Ink

The Reconnection

By alexlahaie, Madison, New Jersey
alexlahaie, Madison, New Jersey

Author's note:

A fun fiction story

“We should find them,” Chad says looking at me. “Huh,” I say as I’m folding my clothes on my bed. Chad replies, “We should go find your parents and reconnect with them. I mean it’s been years since you’ve seen them.” I look up at him, “They still live in the same house they did when I got kicked out when I was 18.” He looks at me, “Okay perfect let’s go than!”

I’ve been dating Chad for about 2 years now. I started dating him when I was 21 and now I’m 23 and he’s 26. He’s my best friend. We both have brown hair and brown eyes. He’s much taller than me though. I’m about 5’6 and he’s 6’2. I met him at a music festival in town. We hit it off immediately. He’s been bringing up this whole reconnecting with my parents thing ever since I told him about it, which was a year ago. I had gotten kicked out of my house when I was 18 by my snotty rich parents. They didn’t like that I was into hippie stuff and movements and all this music. They still probably don’t like it, if they even think of me anymore. After they kicked me out I moved to Oregon. They lived in California with all the snotty rich people and I went to a small town in Oregon. Ashland, Oregon.  A small town filled with people like me. Me as in I’m considered a hippie. I’m not into all that money like my parents. I like peaceful things, animals, nature, not anything my parents liked. I’m different compared to the rest of my family and now I have Chad.
Chad was adopted when he was a baby. He says he doesn’t remember anything about it. He grew up in Oregon with his family. They’re hippies too and into music and everything that I like. He’s always telling me how much I fit in with them. We’re a good match together and I like his family way better than mine. We actually stay in his parents house right now. We used to live in a tent and had a cot as a bed but it got too crowded. So now we stay in his parent’s house in his room. We both make dreamcatchers and sell them. We’ve been saving up to move to a house or something of our own. Dreamcatchers is just Chad’s side job. He’s actually very successful in business. He went to Oregon State University and graduated and now works for some big company. He gets a lot of vacation time which I guess has prompted him wanting to reconnect with my parents. Chad wants to meet my family before going further in our relationship.
I took a deep breath and grabbed a backpack stuffing clothes into it. “Aren’t you going to fold that? Or do you want a bigger bag? A suitcase,” Chad questioned. “No a backpack is fine,” I sighed as I rolled my eyes a little. He takes out his suitcase and packs it pretty quickly. I guess men don’t need a lot of time to pack. I finish packing my backpack and look at him, “Okay how are we getting to California?” “Mom and Dad said we can borrow their car,” he smiles as he grabs our stuff walking away. This is really it. I’m going to reconnect with my parents. It’s been about 5 years since I’ve seen them. Do they even want to see me? I walk downstairs and he’s already sitting in the car waiting to go. I say bye to his parents and tell them I’ll see them soon.
A white volkswagon camper van. A typical car a hippie family would drive. A typical car my parents will snort at when they see it. It’s only a 6 hour drive so we’re going to get there by dinner time. “Franny don’t worry it’s going to be fine,” Chad says looking at me as I get in the car. I look at him, “I know I know I’m just nervous, I haven’t seen them in forever and I hope they like you. I mean who couldn’t like you? It’s going to be okay. Maybe they’ll be happy to see me. Who knows.” He smiles looking at me, “Fran relax it’s going to be okay. Whatever happens we’ll still be together.”

We pull into the driveway. 132 Cedar Knoll Drive, San Francisco, California. A huge house with a circle driveway with a fountain in the middle and a four car garage. My palms are sweating and I’m very nervous to see my parents. It’s been five years. Chad is sitting next to me all excited literally about to jump out of the car and run up to their door. We get out of the car. I walk over slowly to the door and Chad jogs up behind me. He brought chocolate. Oh god I hope they like him. “Are you excited,” he says beaming at me. “Um yeah I guess so,” I say as I ring the doorbell. It doesn’t take long until the door opens and I see my mom standing there. She calls out to her husband and he walks over and says, “Wow Fran what a surprise to see you!” I laugh a little being uncomfortable I shift the weight between my two feet. My mom looks at me then Chad, “Max?” He looks at her a little surprised, “Uh no you must have me mistaken, I’m Chad. Nice to meet you I’m-” My mom cuts him off, “Franny’s brother.”
I’m looking at my therapist now on the verge of tears. I dated my brother. I dated my brother for two years. My best friend, the love of my life, is my brother. Now I can’t be with him. My parents never told me about my brother. That I had a biological brother. The therapist looks at me, “Well at least you guys can be friends now.” I look at her, “Yeah… friends.”