Drowned In Secrets | Teen Ink

Drowned In Secrets

By MidnightStrike BRONZE, Irvington, New York
MidnightStrike BRONZE, Irvington, New York

The strongest people are not those who show strength in front of us, but those who win battles we know nothing of...

~Unknown

Author's note:

This is my MLP: FiM OC story, enjoy!

"She took my arm. I don't know how it happened. We took the floor and she said-"
Whatever the voice in my dream was saying was interrupted by the deafening noise of my alarm clock that shattered the silence in my room. I rolled over and pressed the button on my alarm clock, putting an end to the ear-grating beeps. I looked around my room. My drawing tablet was still on my bed where I left it last night. I shifted my body and took a look at the time displayed on the alarm clock. Six-thirty in the morning. Great...
"Midnight! C'mon! Get up! It's the weekend!” I heard my mother’s voice shout from the hallway, “You should be excited! We're going to Baltimare for the weekend." I soon found myself jumping out of bed and trying to pack my things as quickly as possible. I had almost forgotten that we were going to Baltimare for the weekend.
"Nighty! We’re going to Baltimare!" my sister shouted as she rushed into my room and tackled me to the ground.
"Did you just call me Nighty?" I said to her, giving her a stern yet confused look. "Hey, can you get my toothbrush and mane brush from the bathroom?" I turned my head towards to the door to my room and shouted, "Hey, Mom? What time are we leaving Fillydelphia?"
"I plan for us to leave by seven-fifteen,” she said as she flew into my room, “Why do you ask?”
"Just wondering. Is Dad coming with us?" My mom seemed to hesitate for a moment when I asked her this. She stared at the turquoise-colored walls of my room briefly, then turned her head back towards me and said,
"Umm, no, Midnight. Your father's not coming. He needs to work this weekend."
"Oh, okay." I walked towards my dresser and picked up the mirror that was sitting on it.
Who’s the prettiest pegasus in Equestria? I asked myself as I smiled at my reflection, Me, of course! How could it not be?
As I admired myself in the mirror, something happened that startled me. My eyes were suddenly glowing like oil lamps. Then, as quickly as they started, they turned back to normal. I put the mirror back on my dresser and continued packing.
"What the heck was that?" I asked myself out loud. I turned to my sister and said, "Aqua? D-did you see what just happened?”
"No, what?" She puts down the snowglobe and turns to me.
"In the mirror, s-something happened to my eyes! Th-they just started glowing a mixture of green, blue, and black! I mean, it only happened for a second, so I didn't see all of it. It was weird." I leaned over the mirror again to see if my eyes would repeat what just happened. But they just remained the same.
"Girls, get on the train," my mom said as she put her hoof in the doorway of the train, "C'mon!" We got on the train. I looked back and saw that Mom stayed back to talk to Dad a bit more before planting a kiss on his cheek.
"Eww! Gross, Mom!” I screamed from the train in a joshing manner, “We're in public, you know! Just a reminder!" She rushed over to the train. I looked at Dad and shouted, "Bye, Dad! Love you!"
"Bye, ladies, have a fun time in Baltimare!" he shouted back as he blew Aqua and me a kiss. The train started up and the doors closed. I waved to Dad as the train started to move.
I sat down on the train and took out my Ponypod. I put my earbuds in my ears and relaxed as they filled my head with music. Aqua pranced around the train like a happy-go-lucky leprechaun until Mom told her to sit down and zip her lip.
"Aqua, come here!” I called to my sister, “I wanna talk to you!" She reluctantly sat next to me and I paused my music. "Look, something happened with that mirror.” I don’t know if you pulled a prank on me or what. I'm not mad, but please don't do it again."
“Midnight, I have no idea what in Equestria you’re talking about,” she said. From the look on her face, I could tell she was serious. “I didn't do anything to that mirror, I  swear."
"Oh, alright then.” I then turned to Mom. “Hey, Mom? Can I ask you something?"
"Sure, what is it?" she said as she put her arm around me and gave me her undivided attention.
"Uh, I saw... Um, well, I looked in the mirror and I found that my eyes were glowing... Like different colors, blue, green, and, uh, black?" Mom seemed utterly petrified after I said that. I looked at the rest of the train. Every single passenger seemed to be staring directly at us. Everypony. This could not get uncomfortable for me, and I think Mom felt the same way.
"Midnight, now's not the time to be asking about that kind of stuff," she whispered with a paranoid look, I glanced at her in surprise. I shook my head.
"Wait, so you do know what I'm talking about?"
"What? No, Midnight... Please just don't-” She exhaled a deep sigh, “-Don't bring it up." I was baffled by the way Mom was acting.
What the hell? I thought to my bewildered self, What is she hiding now? I glanced over to Aqua Blossom, who was staring at me with a puzzled look on her face,
"What the heck was that?" she asked.
"I don't know," I admitted, "But I'm going to find out. Come with me." I led my sister to the back of the train into a small, secluded room.
"What was that? I know I'm crazy and all, but I know I'm not that crazy enough to be seeing pink elephants or anything like that!”
"She's hiding something... I heard Dad and her fighting a few days ago. They were talking about telling us about something. I didn't hear what it was; but based on they've been pretty jumpy around us recently, I say it can’t be good!”
"I know that! Did you not see the way mom reacted to my question? She just froze up. If that wasn’t bad enough, the whole train was staring at us as if we had screamed the most hurtful string of curse words at her! C'mon, Mom's going to get worried if we don't turn up soon." We walked back to our seat on the train and resumed the activities we were doing before I had asked the question. The rest of the train ride was smooth and calm. We finally made it up to Baltimare!
Mom inserted the keys in the door and swung it open,
"Surprise!" a voice rings out from in front of us. I peek out from behind Mom and saw Dad standing in front of us!
"Dad?!" I ran up and hugged him.
"What are you doing here?” asked Mom, not sure what to make of the situation, “I thought you had to work."
"Yeah, well... Turns out they didn't need me at the office,” said Dad in response, shrugging his shoulders, “So I thought I'd surprise the girls here at the Baltimare house!" As he hugged me tightly, Mom asks Aqua and I to go unpack our stuff.
"C'mon, let’s give Mom and Dad some time to talk..." I walked to my bedroom and shut the door behind me. I laid my suitcase on my bed and started to unpack my belongings. I heard a soft knock on the door. I walked over to the door, opened it up, and saw Aqua standing in the doorway pointing down the hallway.
"Listen..." she whispered. I listened carefully and heard my parents talking in the kitchen.
"Look, Silver Stream, I'm worried about Midnight. I fear she’s finding out the truth. It’s only a matter of time before she knows..." The sound of hoofsteps clattered within the kitchen.
"What do you mean?"
"Today, on the train... on the way here. She told me her eyes were glowing different shades of blues, blacks, and greens. The whole train was staring at us. Everypony on that train was murmuring about something. I froze up because I didn't know what to say, but-" I pulled Aqua into my room,
"What. Was. That?!" I asked her.
"I don't know! Before that, my door was open and I heard them saying we were going to find out. Also, they need to tell us something before your fifteenth birthday. When they tell you, they need to tell me, too." Aqua paced around my room.
"What is going on? I thought this was going to be a great family weekend.  But apparently that’s not the case.." I walked around my room for a bit, then sat on my bed.
"How are we going to get them to tell us?"
"Well, I don't know, but I do know that I’m pooped after sitting on that train for an hour and a half. So I'm taking a nap." I crawl into my bed and turn off the lamp light. Suddenly, I felt something crawl onto my bed. I quickly turned my lamp light back on and, thankfully, it wasn’t a spider crawling on my bed. It was just Aqua.
"Midnight, I'm scared,” she whispered meekly to me, “Can I cuddle with you?" I turn on my lamp light and look at her.
"Well, there are going to be times when you get scared and can't do anything about it. If it makes you feel better, I'm scared too. Come on in!" I lifted up the covers for her and she crawled under the blankets next to me. She put her hooves around my waist and hugged me like a stuffed animal. I turned off the lamp light and went to sleep.

This book has 1 comment.

smhjoel said...
on Apr. 15 2016 at 9:04 am
smhjoel,
is there more to it?