Somewhere Only We Know: A Lee Pace Fan Fiction | Teen Ink

Somewhere Only We Know: A Lee Pace Fan Fiction

July 9, 2015
By uncomfortableBrunette SILVER, Lr. Sackville, Other
More by this author
uncomfortableBrunette SILVER, Lr. Sackville, Other
5 articles 13 photos 164 comments

Favorite Quote:
I want to hate you half as much as i hate myself


Author's note:

I wrote this because I LOVE Lee Pace! Also, I wrote this slightly based off of th song Somewhere Only We Know by Keane, so please check that song out! By the way, each chapter is named after a song I felt that fit the chapter, so please check each song out!

Also, I do not own Lee Pace, and have no idea if this is how he'd react to the situations depicted in this novel. Thank you.

The author's comments:

Please check out the song Photograph by Ed Sheeran! It's sort of the theme of the chapter! Thanks and please rate and comment!

    I peeked through the holes of the wood fence, my eyes watching intently as my new neighbours walked around their new backyard. Lying next to me on the grass my friend Emma sighed. She rolled onto her back and put her hands behind her head. I glanced over at my fellow nine year old.
    “This is boring Delilah! Why are we doing this anyway?” Emma grumbled, turning her head to look at me.
    “Because,” I murmured, trying to get a better look at the family walking around the yard. “There might be a kid our age.”
    “Yeah, but there might not be.” Emma retaliated, rolling back onto her stomach and staring through one of the holes.
    I gasped as a figure a little smaller than the adults joined the group of people. I poked Emma’s shoulder and pointed the best I could at the smaller person that had appeared in the yard. She gasped with excitement and we both watched, waiting for them to come into clearer sight. I groaned as I got a good look at the figure.
    “Ew. A boy.” Emma made a disgusted noise in agreement. “And he definitely doesn’t look nine.” I removed my eyes from the peep hole and pursed my lips as Emma made a whining sound.
    “Why couldn’t it be a girl?” Emma complained. I nodded in complete agreement. Why couldn’t it be a girl? One that we could play with? One that could steal my mom’s lipstick with us and rub it all over our lips? I looked through the hole again and was immediately met with a grey-brown eye and a thick, dark eyebrow. I squealed and tumbled backwards, Emma crawling backwards along with me. Odd scratchy sounds could be heard from the other side of the fence and the wood started to shake in a weird way. Emma and I both watched wearily as a head popped over the top of the fence. It was the boy with the thick eyebrows. He had messy brown hair and a dorky smile that made his eyes crinkle a little at the edges. He grinned at Emma and me.
    “Hi!” He exclaimed, his voice sort of deep and happy. He folded his arms over the top of the fence and rested his chin on them.
    Emma and I stared at him, neither of us sure what to say.
    “Are you a prince?” I finally blurted. My face flushed as the boy laughed, his voice resonating through the air.
    “No. I’m not a prince. Although that would be pretty cool. I’m Lee Pace.”
    I glanced at Emma and back at Lee. “I’m Delilah. And this is Emma.”
    Emma gave a small, shy wave and muttered “Hi.” Lee waved back, the goofy, lopsided grin remaining on his face the whole time. He quickly looked behind his shoulder, and with one quick heave pushed himself over the fence and climbed down our side. He walked over and sat down in front of us.
    “Do you two live here?” He asked, crossing his legs and cupping his head in his hands.
    I shook my head. “No. I do, but Emma doesn’t. She lives down the road though.”
    “I live over there.” Lee said, motioning to the house next door, stating the obvious.
    “We know.” Emma finally said, a giggle escaping her lips. Within seconds we were all laughing for no apparent reason. After the laughter died down I nudged Emma’s arm and motioned towards the forest behind my house. Emma’s eyes lit up and she nodded quickly, her lips quivering into a smile.
    “Can we show you something?” We asked Lee in unison, jumping excitedly to our feet.
    “Okay!” Lee untwisted his crossed legs and stood up, his lanky figure towering quite a bit over our small nine year old bodies.
    I smiled and wrapped my small hand around Lee’s wrist, dragging him towards the dense forest. Emma and I weaved through the trees, Lee following awkwardly behind. I kept my grip tight on his arm, his bare skin warm on my cold hands. Stopping, Emma and I looked up, our eyes landing on a small tree house. A small ladder led up to the small entrance. The walls had been painted a vibrant pink with Emma’s and my name scrawled messily in purple marker across the front. Behind me I heard Lee draw in a breath.
    “Cool!” He exclaimed. “Is it yours?” I nodded, smiling. I pulled Lee towards the ladder and started to climb up. Once inside the small house I scooted to the very back, making room for Lee, who entered just a few seconds later. He crawled inside, his tall figure looking awkwardly big in the small tree house. He sat down next to me and pulled Emma inside. He glanced around, staring out the window in the front, and then his eyes slowly landing on a tiny, red ukulele. He picked it up and strummed randomly. Before he could set it back down I snatched it from his hands and rested it in my lap. Placing my fingers I played a C chord, A chord, F chord. “Do you play?” Lee asked, watching as my fingers strummed up and down the plastic strings. I nodded.
    “Play Somewhere Over the Rainbow!” Emma insisted, her hands waving excitedly in the air.
    I grinned and started strumming. “Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high.” I sang softly, feeling slightly embarrassed. I could feel Lee’s eyes watching me, his lips forming a smile. Quietly he hummed along, his head swaying from side to side. “There’s a land that I heard of, once in a lullaby.”
                                                                    ***
    Six years later…
   
    I stared at my feet, the swing I was occupying rocking back and forth lightly. I had to tell him. I had to. If I didn’t tell him, it would be years before I’d be able to. I glanced nervously at Lee through my long, curly blonde hair. He was sitting on the swing next to me, staring of to the side, his dark hair as messy as ever. He turned to look at me and smiled. My face flushed and I went back to staring at me feet.
    “Um… Lee… can I talk to you?” I asked, my arms trembling. I clutched the metal chain attached to the swing, my knuckles turning white.
    “Yeah! You don’t have to ask that! So what did you want to talk about?”
    I hid my face behind my hair, my cheeks on fire. My stomach twisted into a knot as I opened my mouth to speak. “Lee… I like you.” I felt my grip on the chain tighten as I waited for his response.
    “I like you too Delilah!” He said happily, completely oblivious to what kind of ‘like’ I meant. At him
    I shook my head, my hair swinging around my face. “That’s n-not what I mean Lee. I mean ‘like’ as in ‘like-like’ you.” He was silent, the wind whistling unnaturally loud around us. I heard his feet shift noisily against the rocks under the swings. “I understand if you don’t like me like that. I am only fifteen and you’re eighteen and going to college today and it would probably never work and-" Lee reached over and squished my lips together with his thumb and forefinger. With his other hand he brushed my hair out of my face and smiled.
    His cheeks turned an adorable shade of pink and he let go of my lips. “I think I might like you in that way too. And we’ll find a way for it to work.”
    I stared wide eye at him, not entirely believing what I was hearing. “B-but isn’t it illegal?”
    Lee’s furry eyebrows furrowed and his lips became a hard line. “I guess you’re right… How about this! We won’t see each other until I’m out of college!”
    This time it was my turn to furrow my eyebrows. “Why?”
    “Because by the time I’m out of college, you would be old enough, and we wouldn’t have to worry about doing anything illegal!”
     “So… I wouldn’t be able to see you for, like, five years?” He nodded, his original smile fading from his face. “That seems like a long wait.”
    “It’ll be worth it.”
    “Does that mean that when you’re a famous actor I won’t be able to watch any of the movies you’re in? Or google pictures of you?”
    “I doubt that I’ll be in any movies, but yeah. I guess. Even if I do end becoming famous, I’ll still wait.”
    I sighed and stuck out my pinky I used to do when I was a kid. “Promise?”
    Lee wrapped his large pinky around mine. “I promise.”

The author's comments:

Second chapter! Yay! I hope you all enjoy and please check out this chapters theme song! Everybody's Changing by Keane! Please rate and review! Thanks!


Nine years later…
  
    What neither of us realized when we made the promise was that while Lee was still at college, I left for a music college.
    That was out of the state.
    So when he went back to my old house to visit once as he was out of college, I didn’t know he was there. I had missed my one chance at seeing him again and starting the relationship we had promised to wait for. And then when I had finished college, I went back to see if he was still living there, but he had moved. And I didn’t have the money to go see him. So, I went back to my apartment in the other state, and got a job playing piano at a local café. Sitting at a piano for almost eight hours a day with only an hour lunch break wasn’t my ideal job, but it payed the bills.
    And, to most people’s surprise, even though it had been nine years, I still waited.
    I pulled my long, beige winter coat over my blouse and looked around the café.
    “I’ll be back in an hour!” I called to the cashier behind the counter. She nodded and went back to staring at her cell phone. I opened the front door and stepped out into the chilly air, my breath steaming around my face. I hated the cold. But then, I also hated the heat to. It always seemed like I could never find a temperature I liked. It was always either too hot or too cold.
    I shoved my hands in my pockets and walked down the sidewalk, my mind drifting off. I hadn’t even been paying attention to where I was going until I collided with a body. The stranger made a weird “Oaf” sound and I stumbled backwards, my face flushing with.
    “Are you okay?” The stranger asked, his voice strangely familiar.
    “Yeah. I’m-“ I gasped as I finally got a good look at the man. “Lee?! Lee pace?!”
    He smiled his goofy, lopsided smile. “The one and only. Do you want a picture?”
    I stared in shock. It had been nine years! He looked… mature. His hair combed neatly, yet still slightly messy and a dark shadow of stubble covering his face. His eyebrows were still as thick as ever, emphasizing almost every facial expression he made. Even though he had grown up so to say, he still looked like Lee. I on the other hand, he probably didn’t recognize me. I had been sixteen when I had last seen him, but growing up hadn’t been the only thing that had changed about me. My once long, curly blonde hair now hung just to my shoulders and was straightened to the best of my ability. A pair of dark red glasses were perched on my nose and I was wearing makeup, which I almost never wore as a teenager.
    My heart wrenched inside my chest and I nodded. “Um, I don’t have a camera, but do you think you could sign this?” I reached into my purse and pulled out a small notebook.
    “Of course!” Lee exclaimed, pulling a pen out of his jeans pocket. I handed him the notebook and he flipped to a blank page. “What’s your name?”
    I bit my bottom lip and sighed quietly. “Delilah Wilson.”
    Lee’s gaze shot up from the notebook and he stared at me, his eyes the size of plates and his mouth hanging open. “Oh my… Delilah?” His eyes scanned my face, taking in every inch of it.
    I nodded, my cheeks flushing slightly. “Yup.”
    His mouth slowly snapped shut, but the shocked look never left his face. “It’s been…”
    “Nine years.” I interrupted, saving him the torture of having to do the math.
    “Nine years...” He echoed, his face turning milky white. “Delilah, I’m so sorry. I tried to find you again, but you had left the state and-"
     Using my forefinger and thumb the same way he had the last day we had seen each other, I squished his lips shut. “It’s fine Lee. Do you wanna go for a quick walk? I only have a little less than an hour before I need to head back to work.”  He nodded and we headed down the sidewalk, an awkward tension still in the air.    
    “So, nine years huh?” Lee muttered, his hands shoving themselves deep into his coat pocket.
    “Yup.”
    “What do you do for work?”
    “I play piano at a café. It’s not a great job, but it pays, you know? What about you? Are you still acting?”
    “Yeah. I’ve been in a few movies, but nothing major.”
    I felt a smile tugging at my lips. “Nothing major?! Lee that’s great! Have you been in any TV shows?”
    “I’m working on one right now called Pushing Daisies. It’s on its second season, but I don’t think it’s going past two.” He paused, his eyes staring blankly at something. “I always thought you wanted to be a singer.” A small smile was slowly forming on his lips.
    “I still do, but I can’t seem to find any auditions for record labels around here. Maybe it’ll happen one day.”
    “Do you, um, have a… boyfriend?” I could hear the edge in Lee’s voice as he asked the question, as if he was scared of the answer.
    “Nope.”
    “Husband?”
    “Nope. Lee, when we promised we would wait for each other, I knew it would be a hard promise to keep. And sometimes, it was. But I wanted to keep it… What about you? Do you have a girlfriend?”
    Lee shook his head, but I noticed a change in his emotion. An almost pained expression. “No, I don’t have a girlfriend… but I… did.”
    I swallowed the invisible lump in my throat and stared at my feet. “Was she… beautiful?”
    “Yes…” He whispered, his voice sounding deep and rough. “But not as beautiful as you became.”
    Even though his compliment made my heart race and my lips quirk in a smile, I still couldn’t look at him. It hurt too much.
    “Look, Delilah, I’m sorry about what happened. I didn’t know if I’d ever see you again, and I realize I should never have done it-"
    “Lee. It’s fine. What happened, and you can’t change that.” I never got to finish what I was saying. He didn’t let me. I moaned in surprise as soft, warm lips pressed against mine in a slow, gentle way that I had never experienced before. A large hand brushed across my burning cheek and cupped my chin. Lee pulled away, our hot, heavy breath filling in the little space between our faces.
    Lee pressed his forehead to mine, our noses just barely touching. “No, it’s not okay.” He whispered, his fingers gently tracing my jaw. “I broke the promise. Our promise. And I shouldn’t have. I’m sorry Delilah. And if you don’t want to forgive, I’d understand.”
    I shook my head, my lips curling slowly upward. “Why wouldn’t I forgive you? Especially just after you kissed me like that.”
    I watched as Lee’s cheeks flushed. He stood up straight and stared at me, his face filled with millions of emotions. Concern, regret, happiness, frustration plastered all over his face. “So, you’re not mad?”
    “No. What happened, happened. It can’t be changed.”
    Lee leaned down again and pressed his lips against mine. I could feeling his mouthing smiling lopsidedly. His lips parted slowly and quietly, almost inaudible he spoke.

“Thank you.” 
 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.