Star Trek the Next Generation: Mitosis | Teen Ink

Star Trek the Next Generation: Mitosis

By jkerner1377 SILVER, Weiser, Idaho
jkerner1377 SILVER, Weiser, Idaho

Author's note: This was originally a essay for biology, but I just couldn't stop writing.

“Captain's Log, Stardate 44590.6. We are traveling back towards Earth, at warp factor 8.5 due
to an emergency medical situation involving Ensign Wesley Crusher. During a peace treaty with the
Romulan Empire in the neutral zone, Ensign Crusher picked up a Romulan virus. Doctor Beverly
Crusher, his mother, is currently working on finding a cure, but does not progress. She believes that the
virus causes mutations in a person's DNA. Dr. Crusher says that she doesn't have the technology to
cure it, and isn't sure how it spreads, or how long it will be before someone else on the Enterprise
catches it.”
“Captain,” said Dr. Crusher as she stepped onto the main bridge from the turbolift.
“What is it, Doctor,” asked Captain Jean-Luc Picard, as he turned to face her.
“Well, I don't believe that Westley will make it back to Earth in time to possibly get better
medical attention,” replied Dr. Crusher.
“Captain, Starbase 201 is close, we could make it there in 28 hours, plus, they specialize in
xenobiology,” chimed in Data, the android. Data turned to face Picard and Dr. Crusher walked around
until she was in front of Picard, First Officer William Riker, and the ship's psychologist, Deana Troy.
“Thank you, Data, what is xenobiology, exactly,” asked Picard.
“Xenobiology is the biological study of alien lifeforms, and therefore might be able to help cure
Westley's virus,” Data stated.
“What do you think, Dr. Crusher, could Westley make it to Starbase 201?”
“Most likely, but I'm not entirely sure, and I'm not sure how long we have before it spreads.”
“Set a course for Starbase 201, coordinates 25084 mark 2. Warp factor 8.5.”
“Coarse set in Captain,” said William Riker.
“Make it so number one,” replied Picard.
“Beverley, is there anything else that could be done to help Westley,” asked Deana Troy.
“Well there is one thing, but it is highly experimental and has had virtually no testing,” replied
Dr. Crusher.
“What is it,” asked Riker, “Will it save him, if it doesn't kill him in the process.”
“It is a way in which medical officers and people who are familiar with piloting a starship can
miniaturize themselves, along with a model starship, to go inside of a patient and fight the disease. It
would save Westley, but it might kill those of us who are 'operating' on him when we make the
transition back to normal size,” answered Dr. Crusher.
“I'm going to call an emergency meeting of all senior officers,” said Picard, “There, we can
discuss the possibility of building a miniaturizer, and the danger of letting this virus go untreated.”
Captain Picard reached for the communicator pin on his chest and pushed it. “Will all senior officers
meet in the Observation Lounge for an emergency meeting,” he said. Picard then got out of his chair
and walked toward one of the doors off the port side of the Main Bridge, the door that led to the
Observation Lounge. Riker, Data, security chief Lieutenant Worf, Deana Troy, and Dr. Crusher
followed him.

After sitting in their chairs at the conference table, they waited for the final senior officer, chief
engineer Lieutenant Geordi La Forge. A few minutes later, Geordi stepped off of the turbolift and took
his place at the conference table. Picard opened the conference by telling everyone, “I have asked you
to attend this emergency meeting to discuss the possible threat that is posed by the Romulan virus and
the experimental cure that was proposed by Dr. Crusher, Beverly.”
Dr. Crusher stood up and walked to computer screen on Riker's end of the table, the end
opposite Picard. She tapped the screen a few times and an image of a virus and two sequences of
letters, one of which was changing slowly, the other stayed the same, popped up on the computer
screens at both ends. Dr Crusher said, “On the screens at either end is an image of the virus that is
mutating Westley's DNA, a copy of his regular DNA sequence, and a copy of his DNA sequence as it is
changing right now,” Dr. Crusher's voice wavered. “Captain Picard has changed course toward Starbase
201, a starbase that specializes in Xenobiology, the biological study of alien lifeforms, and we hope
that they may know more about this virus than we do.”
Dr. Crusher began pacing up and down along the length of the conference table, her face
contorted in anguish. Then Deana Troy spoke up, “Would you please sit down, Beverly. I have sensed
your anguish ever since you came to talk with Captain Picard, and right now you are about ready to
have a nervous break-down.” Dr. Crusher sat down and then started crying, silently.
Picard stood up and resumed speaking where Dr. Crusher left off. He said, “As Beverly was
about to say, she isn't sure if Westley will make it to Starbase 201, so she has proposed a way to stop
the virus, but it is experimental, untested, and possibly very dangerous. What she proposed is that we
miniaturize a select group of people, along with a working model of a starship, preferably the
Enterprise so that we can run it, and send them inside of Westley to fight the virus. Of those people,
some will be experienced medical officers who could help guide the ship through the body to the places
that his DNA is being mutated; and the rest will be officers who can run the ship. Geordi, Data, do you
believe that you both can build a miniaturizer and a working model of the Enterprise?”
Data replied, “Creating the working model of the Enterprise will be easy...”
“But creating the miniaturizer will be the hard part,” Geordi cut in. “In order to create the
miniaturizer, we will need to reroute a new program through the transporter, test it on both living
organisms and mechanical parts, then reroute another program, and test it, in order to bring both back
to normal size.”
“But do you believe that you can do it,” asked Picard.
“Yes, I believe that it can be done,” replied Geordi.
“What exactly is the danger posed in this mission, Captain,” asked Worf.
“From the few tests that have been done, shrinking and coming back to normal size have been
shown to cause negative results in the human body,” put in Dr. Crusher.
“It's a risk we'll have to take,” Captain Picard said. “Geordi, start on the programing for the
miniaturizer, and when we go into Westley, you will stay behind and make sure that the ship going
through Westley operates correctly and that the miniaturizer works correctly, and brings us back
correctly. Data, you will create the model Enterprise, when you finish with that, you will help Geordi
with the miniaturizer, you will also memorize Westley's original DNA sequence so that you can
compare it against all other known DNA to try and figure out how his DNA is changing. When
miniaturize and go into Westley, you will come with us and use that memorized DNA sequence to help
us restore his DNA, to guide us through the cells, and work the engineering portion of the ship.
Beverly, I want you to find out as much about this virus as possible, then, you will accompany us into
Westley where your knowledge of the virus and the human body will assist us in fighting the virus and
navigating. Worf, you will maintain your normal routine until we go into Westley then you will
accompany us to help man the ship. Deana, you will stay here and access Westley's mental condition
while we are inside of him, and should Dr. Crusher need your guidance, you will help her via
communicator. Number One, you will maintain your usual schedule until we go into Westley, then, you
will assume command of the regular Enterprise in my place. As for myself, I will go with Data,
Beverly, and Worf. You are all dismissed.”

Data and Geordi got up from the table, walked toward the turbolift, and entered it. “Deck 36,”
said Geordi.
Worf, Riker, and Deana got up and walked back to their stations on the Main Bridge. Captain
Picard made to get up but Dr. Crusher detained him. She said, “Thank you Captain, thank you for
helping my son.”
“Don't thank me, we haven't cured your son yet, and we won't if you don't get to your station
and learn everything that you can about the virus,” replied Picard.
“Sorry Captain,” she answered. Then, she walked to the turbolift, entered it, and said; “Deck
12.”
Captain Picard got up from his seat, walked through the door to the Main Bridge, across the
Main Bridge, through a door on the other side and into his Ready Room. Picard then walked into the
small side alcove, over to the replicator and said; “Earl Grey tea, hot.” A second later a hot cup of Earl
Grey tea appeared on the shelf of the replicator, Picard picked it up and walked over to his desk. He set
his tea down, sat down, and updated his log.
“Captain's log supplemental. We are trying to cure Ensign Crusher's disease before it spreads
to the rest of the crew. We have redirected course to Starbase 201 in hopes that they have a cure for the
disease, but Dr. Crusher isn't sure if he will make it or when it will spread, so we have started a
dangerous and untested way to eradicate the virus. I have sent Geordi and Data to create a working
model of the Enterprise and to route a new program through the transporter that will miniaturize us an
enable us to go inside Westley to fight the virus. Data will also compare Ensign Crusher's changing
DNA against other known DNA to see if there is a correlation. Dr. Crusher is currently working on
learning as much about the virus as possible.”
After updating his log, Picard picked up his favorite book, The Collected Works of William
Shakespeare, sipped his tea, and began to read.
A few hours later, there was a knock at the door to his Ready Room. “Who is it,” called Picard,
setting down his book.
“It's Dr. Crusher, Captain,” she said.
“Ah, please come in Doctor,” The doors slid open to admit her. “What can I do for you,” Picard
asked.
“Westley's condition is worsening, and I was wondering how long until the miniaturizer is
ready.”
“I'm not sure, but I'll find out right now.” Picard turned away from Dr. Crusher, pressed his
communicator and said, “Captain Picard to Engineering, how is the model Enterprise and miniaturizer
coming Geordi?”
Geordi's voice responded over the communicator, “Engineering here, the model Enterprise is
complete and we are just downloading the program for the miniaturizer into the transporter and getting
ready to test it Captain.”
“How long do you think that it will take to test and work out the glitches in the program,”
Picard asked.
“Not long, probably about an hour,” responded Geordi.
“Thank you Geordi, Picard out.” He turned back to Dr. Crusher. “There's your answer Beverly,
is there anything else that I can do for you?”
“Yes, as a mater of fact, there is, I would like to show you something,” she responded. Dr.
Crusher reached for the touchscreen computer console embedded in Picard's desk, thought better of it,
then asked, “May I, Captain?”
“Go right ahead,” Picard replied.
Dr. Crusher pushed a few buttons and a more defined image of the virus popped onto the screen.
Dr. Crusher said, “I've been studying the virus, like you told me to, and I have discovered that the
mutation is taking place mostly in his brain during the S Phase of the cell cycle, when the cell
duplicates it's DNA in preparation for mitosis, and I have also noticed something interesting in the
shape of the virus.”
“I think I see it,” Picard said, “It kind of looks like a Romulan battle ship, doesn't it?”
“That's what I think as well.”
“Could it be a coincidence?”
“Possibly, Captain, but the resemblance is too similar for me to be sure.”
Just then, Data's voice chirped over Picard's communicator, “Data to Captain Picard, I have
some important information about the mutated DNA.”
“Picard here, what's this information, Data,” Picard asked.
“Well, after Geordi and I got the miniaturizer program downloaded into the transporter, I began
crosschecking the mutated DNA against all other known DNA, and I found that the mutated DNA is
very similar to that of the average Romulan.”
“Thank you for that information Data, it just may help us figure out how to defeat the virus.
Meet Dr. Crusher and me in sick bay. Picard out.”
Picard and Dr. Crusher began walking out of Picard's Ready Room, across the Main Bridge and
toward a turbolift. “This might be worse than we previously thought, Beverly,” Picard said.
“I was thinking the same thing Captain,” Dr. Crusher replied.
They reached the turbolift and stepped inside. “Deck 12.” Picard told the computer. The
turbolift hummed to life. In a few seconds the doors opened and Picard and Dr. Crusher stepped out
onto Deck 12. They walked the short distance to Sickbay, entered, and found Data waiting for them at
the main biobed. Dr. Crusher and Picard joined Data at the biobed.
“He appears to be taking on a more Romulan-like appearance, Captain,” Data said.
“I noticed that as well,” Picard replied. Westley's skin was paler, his cheekbones were higher,
and his ears had a slight point. “I hope that Geordi hurries up with that miniaturizer the sooner we get
Westley cured the better.” Picard said.
“Geordi should be just about done,” Data put in. No sooner had Data said that Geordi's voice
came over Picard's communicator.
“Captain, the miniaturizer is installed and tested, we should be able to miniaturize the team and
get them back to normal size without any major complications,” Geordi said.
“Thank you Geordi, have all senior officers meet me in the Main Transporter Room, Picard
out,” he replied.

Upon reaching the transporter room, Data, Picard, and Dr. Crusher found the rest of the senior
officers waiting for them. “Good your here,” Geordi said, “Captain, Beverly, Worf, Data; will you
please step onto the transporter pad, and please avoid stepping on the ship. Okay, I'm going to
miniaturize you in two steps, first, I will make you small enough so you will fit on the ship without
miniaturizing it, then, once you get on the ship, I will miniaturize you and the ship the rest of the way.”
Picard, Dr. Crusher, Worf, and Data stepped onto the transporter pad and stood on one of the six circles
on the pad. Geordi then asked, “Ready, Captain?”
“Engage.” Picard said. Geordi pushed a few buttons and slid two of the three sliders to the
opposite side of their track. A beam of light then engulfed each of them, and they shrunk to an inch tall
in seconds. Geordi lifted up the model of the Enterprise and set it on one of the circles of the
transporter pad. He then collected the miniature crew members and set them on the ramp that led to the
ship's door. Picard, Dr. Crusher, Worf, and Data walked up the ramp and entered the Enterprise. Data
pushed a few buttons beside the door and the doors slid closed and sealed themselves. Picard, Dr.
Crusher, Worf, and Data then walked to a turbolift. “Main Bridge,” Captain Picard said.
When the doors opened everyone entered the Main Bridge and took their placed. “Data,
override automatic control of the ship and place manual control at the Captain's chair,” Picard said.
“Geordi, have you miniaturized us the rest of the way yet?”
“Yes, Captain, you are a microscopic structure,” Geordi's voice came over the communicator,
“I'll walk behind you in order to activate the doors.”
“Engage the engines, 1/8 impulse power,” Picard told Data. The ship took off toward the open
door and started toward Sickbay.
Upon reaching Westley, the ship entered through his nose and worked toward his brain. When
the ship entered Westley's brain, it started entering the cells and looking for the mutated DNA. “Data,
what stage of the cell cycle are we in,” Dr. Crusher asked.
“We appear to be in Interphase,” Data said.
“What other phases are there,” asked Picard.
“Knowing what happens in each phase might help us to identify when the virus begins effecting
the cells,” put in Riker.
“Interphase is where most of the cell's life takes place. Interphase is divided into three smaller
phases: G1, S, and G2. In the G1 phase, the cell grows and produces proteins; then the cell moves into
S phase. S phase stands for synthesis of DNA, during S phase, the cell replicates its DNA in
preparation for mitosis, finally, the cell moves into the final phase of Interphase, G2 phase. In the G2
phase of Interphase, the cell replicates all of its organelles to prepare for mitosis. Next, the cell moves
into the M phase. M phase is where the cell divides into two daughter cells. M phase takes place in two
smaller phases, mitosis, which is divided into four even smaller phases, and cytokinesis. The first step
of mitosis is prophase, in prophase, the nuclear envelope breaks down, the centriols split apart and
leave behind microtubuals, and chromosomes form. Next comes metaphase, during metaphase, the
chromosomes line-up in the center of the cell along the microtubuals. After that is anaphase, in
anaphase, the microtubuals pull the sister chromatids away from each other to opposite sides of the cell.
Finally, the cell enters telophase, in telophase, first the chromatin is at opposite ends of the cell and the
cell begins to pull apart, then, the cell continues to pull apart, and the nuclear envelope begins to
reform. After that, the cell enters cytokinesis, the final stage of its life, in cytokinesis the nuclear
envelope is completely reformed, and the cytoplasm pinches off, forming two identical daughter cells
that will begin the whole cycle again,”Data informed everyone.
“Thank you Data,” Picard said. “Beverly, what will you need in order to complete your
investigation?”
“I need to see each cell and figure out where the DNA is being changed.” she replied.
“Can it be done from the Enterprise?”
“No, I think that I'll have to be in the cells and see what is causing the change.”
“Okay Beverly, suit up and we'll find cells in each of the phases so you can find where the DNA
changes.”
“Thank you Captain, by the way can I take Data with me to help sort through the DNA
sequence?”
“Go ahead, I think that Worf and I can manage the ship and transporter by ourselves. Data, suit
up, you're going with Beverly.”
Dr. Crusher and Data met Picard and Worf in the transporter room in full body suits. Worf
transported Dr. Crusher and Data into a cell that was in the G1 phase. About twenty minutes later, Dr.
Crusher's voice chirped over Picard and Worf's communicators, “Every thing appears normal here,
beam us up.”
Worf beamed them up and then back out into a cell that was in the G2 phase. Ten minutes later,
Dr. Crusher's voice came over the communicator again, but this time, it was a scream. “WE'VE
FOUND WHAT IS CAUSING THE MUTATIONS, IT IS A ROMULAN SHIP, AND I THINK THAT
THEY HAVE SEEN US, GET US OUT OF HERE NOW!!!” she yelled.
Worf beamed them up and Dr. Crusher rushed to Picard. “What did you mean, about the
Romulan ship,” Picard asked.
“Exactly what I said, it would appear as if they did the same thing that we did, but for a much
different reason, they may even be tracking us to the ship now,” Dr. Crusher said.
“Thank you Doctor. Data, get the shields up now, then stay down here, lock on to the Romulans
on that ship, and beam them directly to the bridge where Dr. Crusher, Worf, and I will arrest them when
I give you the signal. Everyone else, come with me.”
They got to the bridge and everyone took their places. “Shields are up Captain,” Data's voice
came over the communicator.
“Good. Worf, are we with in hailing distance of the Romulan ship yet,” Picard asked.
“Yes we are, Captain,” Worf replied.
“Open a channel, and make sure that everything that is said is recorded, so that we can use it as
proof of foul play when we arrest them.”
“Channel open, Captain.”
“This is Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the Federation ship U.S.S Enterprise hailing the Romulan
vessel, please respond Romulan vessel.” Picard said.
A few seconds later, a Romulan face appeared on the main viewer. “I am Na'ag of the Romulan
ship Cerpoti, what can I do for you Captain,” the Romulan asked.
“You can start by surrendering to us Na'ag, because you are in direct violation of Federation
Space, and of the peace treaty, by attacking an officer of the Federation who was on our side of the
Neutral Zone.”
“I don't think so Captain. You see, we have a far superior technology than you do, so therefor
we will destroy you.”
“If you are so sure of yourselves, will you at least tell us why you were mutating the DNA of
one of my officers? After all, dead men tell no secrets.”
“I suppose so, you see this ship was actually meant for you, Captain Picard. We intended to
change your DNA into that of a Romulan's so we could manipulate your thoughts and possibly get you
to violate Romulan Space, and therefore, we would have all the latest technology of the Federation.”
“Very impressive tactics, Na'ag, but, in theory, if we were to capture you and leave the mutated
DNA untreated, would it go back to normal?”
“Thank you, Captain, and to answer your question, without constant attention, his DNA will go
back to normal quite quickly.”
“Before you destroy us, will you let me have ten minutes alone with my crew?”
“I give you my word, your ship will not be touched for ten minutes.
“Thank you, Na'ag. Hailing frequencies off.” Worf cut off the hailing frequency and the main
viewer went black. Picard touched his communicator and asked Data, “How many people are on that
ship, Data?”
“Only two, Captain,” came Data's reply.
“Good, download the recorded transition between me and Na'ag, then beam the Romulans
directly onto the Bridge. Picard out. As for the rest of you, put your phasers on stun and get ready for
the Romulans,” Picard said.
Forty-five seconds later, two Romulans appeared on the bridge. Picard, Worf, and Dr. Crusher
turned their phasers on them. Picard told the Romulans, “Drop your weapons, you are under arrest for
violating Federation Space, and violating the peace treaty, by attacking an officer of the Federation who
was on our side of the Neutral Zone. When we reach Earth, you will” The Romulans dropped their
weapons and Worf went to collect them.
Data walked on to the bridge as Na'ag said, “Very clever Captain, get us to lower our guard and
tell you all that you need to know about the mutated DNA, then arrest us.”
Picard tapped his communicator and said, “Picard to main Enterprise, we have two Romulan
prisoners, have security meet us in the transporter room. When you get us back to regular size, throw
the prisoners in the brink. Beam us up Geordi.”
A few seconds later, they were all back in the transporter room of the real Enterprise at their
normal size. Riker rushed toward them and asked, “Captain, what happened? Will Westley be okay? ”
“Westley will be fine, Data, Dr. Crusher, and Worf will fill you in on the details. Set a course for
Earth, warp factor five.”
What about you, Captain?”
“I'll be in my ready room, I feel kind of dizzy from coming back to normal size.” Picard walked
to the turbolift and said, “Main Bridge.”