YU-GI-OH The Strong | Teen Ink

YU-GI-OH The Strong

By SilverCrow, Trenton, Massachusetts
SilverCrow, Trenton, Massachusetts

We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.
- Sam Keen, from To Love and Be Loved

" Give me a problem, any problem, and I'll solve it in an instant. I am the great detective Nuo: the person renowned for his excellent efforts, sly as a fox, strong as an ox, I am Nuo Yusui."

Nuo Yusui raised his wineglass; unshed the tears filling his pale green eyes. They sparkled in his mediocre office with scattered papers, smelling musty from cigarette smoke ( not his, Nuo doesn't smoke), and pictures of woman in bikini's scattered around the wall.

His time of luxury was over; the creaking sound of his office door opening filled his office as he saw a woman step up to his desk, aided by a briefcase. Nuo could've sworn he smelt the perfume of flowers in her silk hair.

Nuo swirled his wine around his glass, feeling notably tired and dreary. He had a family complex had been a solemn affair. For one thing, he never was close to his parents, yet it overcast his well-being—how could his parents have moved without telling him?

His client however was a site to behold. Black/brown hair, which was slightly wavy at the ends. Grey eyes, average height. She wore short-sleeved green shirt, pleated miniskirt, distinctive tights covered in a camouflage pattern, and dark boots.

" Are you Nuo Yusui?" The woman said innocently, put her hand on her chest and spoke placidly. " My name is Imogen, and I've heard how you're good at solving problems?"

" You were told correct," Nuo scoffed, then took another glass of his wineglass. "But I require a high fee for my services."

" I thought you'd live in a more hostile environment. But how can I be sure you aren't being a fraud of your aptitude?"

Nuo seemed to be ignoring Imogen—he took control of the nearest item—the one wineglass on his desk. Imogen was mused with how Nuo casually gulped the wine down, and wiped the remaining liquids from his lips. Nuo, the youngest detective in the whole wide world, he reached to his hips for a Duel Monster case on him, and then he proceeded to picking one card out on top of it.

" Give me your wings, Little Chimera!"

Like a flash of light—a small ball of energy—a creature came out of nowhere and snarled at Imogen. The creature was a small cat, but it had pale white fur and wings sticking out its back, purple ears, also cool green eyes.

The small creature prowled at Imogen, but wasn't aiming for her as it really came at two small worms with pincers and purple armor on their backs. The creatures were struck, disappeared, reappeared as small balls of light and were sucked in through the mouth of Little Chimera.

The anxiety was too great for Imogen, her heart beat at a rapid pace, but all it sobered after the small cat jumped on Nuo's right shoulder pad and then nudged its head against his cheeks.

" There, there, you did a really good job, Little Chimera," Nuo mused to the small cat.

" W-what is that?" Imogen sweatdropped, said with her face full of sweat.

" This here is my Spirit Partner Little Chimera," Nuo gleamed, the small winged cat leaped on his lap and it purred as Nuo stroked its little head. " Chime here took care of those nasty Leghul who were hooked on you 'cause you're feeling an impressive amount of stress."

" Stress?"

" Yes, and not just any types of stress. You seem to be feeling the stress of another presence, phenomenon, and I think it has to do with something you did."

At first there was no response from Imogen, she tried kicking her heels against the cushioned red chair of which she sat on, but with a heavy sigh, exasperation, she looked into Nuo's eyes to say:

" I use to have a friend. His name was…Fuuta."

X-X-X-X-X

" Hey Imogen, can I hold your hand," Fuuta said, laughed as he held his hand out for Imogen.

" Ummm…I guess that would be alright."

It was a time of joy and happiness—a time Imogen and Fuuta could be together; not one of the popular girls were around.

Imogen and Fuuta were ranked on the net by all the popular girls in their class: last. However, even though they were unpopular, ridiculed for being smart, different, Imogen and Fuuta were the best of friends.

On the way too, from school Imogen and Fuuta would hold their hands together while taking the subway car. Imogen and Fuuta's relationship was nothing less of friendship, but their actions gave the popular girls a chance to gossip.

X-X-X-X-X

Over time, with a little bit of luck and recognition due to her athletic abilities, Imogen became one of the popular girls in her school. However, the same couldn't be said for her old friend Fuuta; he was still the least popular kid in his school.

One day, after weeks and weeks of separation between them, Fuuta and Imogen had the chance to take the subway car again.

Fuuta sat on the bench of the car, sighed, said, "What's it like to be popular, Imogen?"

" I-it's...pretty good," Imogen reclaimed. " I get to sit in the nice spots of the school, no one makes fun of me, and I have like a 1000 friends on Facebook."

" Oh…looks like you're doing pretty well for yourself."

" What about you, Fuuta? What has life been like for you?"

" It's been good. I was only shoved in my locker five times this morning…so I guess things are getting better. I also have been less afraid of the running, beatings, and everything. But what I really want… is to hold your hand once again."

Imogen felt the soft skin of Fuuta's hand rub up against her hand, and it was embarrassing for her. Life had one entity—one person's life, one person's rules—Imogen made her choice of Fuuta when she saw her friends near the subway station, and Fuuta's hand still clutching her arm.

" Get away from me!" Imogen exclaimed, she tried desperately to pull Fuuta's arm away.

" I thought we were friends!" Fuuta claimed, his grip firm and strong. " I thought you cared about me!"

" I SAID…!" Imogen raised her right leg up, pressed it against Fuuta's abdomen. " GET AWAY FROM ME!"

Fuuta couldn't believe his eyes, ears, the foot of Imogen pressed him hard and released his grip of her arm, and pushed him off towards the edge of the subway platform. Imogen watched in fear as Fuuta fell off the platform and landed on the tracks.

" Look!" A woman's voice shouted.

" A boy fell on the tracks!" Another woman shouted.

" Somebody help him!"

Only Imogen had the chance to save Fuuta as everyone else was too afraid, shocked to do anything.

" Fuuta!" Imogen shouted, she ran up to the edge of the platform and held her hand out. " Quick, grab on to my hand, Fuuta! I'll pull you u—"

" Burn in HELL!" Fuuta exclaimed, he was distraught over Imogen's betrayal. " I want to see you die, you traitor!" The sound of a train she heard, and the sensation of dying left a wicked grin on Fuuta's face. " If I ever do become a ghost, nothing would please me more than to watch you die a slow, agonizing, tearful death, Imogen. You're NO friend of MINE!"

One: the trains ran over Fuuta's body, killing him instantly. Two: A crowd of weary spectators gathered around the train Fuuta was ran over by; even the popular girls ran up to his body, but just to text about his death. Three: A pain inside Imogen's heart beat through her so rapidly her vision began to fade…

X-X-X-X-X

" I understand your problem. I can help you, but my services aren't cheap."

X-X-X-X-X

Two of three things went according to plan in Nou's scheme. One: She was back in the train station her friend Fuuta died in. Two: She was around a table with a couple of the popular kids from school and was eating at the food court.

" Last night I had to go too this boring reunion with my parent's!" One of the popular girls laughed.

" Me too!" Another one of the girls laughed.

" What embarrassing things do your parent's make you do, Imogen?" The final girl around the table said to Imogen.

" Ummm… actually…I'm not feeling very well," Imogen said, she rubbed her stomach and groaned. " I-I…I think maybe I should step outside for some air."

Meanwhile, as Imogen was stepping away from the table, Nuo watched her on the top of a stand, and seemed to be unnoticed by any of the customers. Nuo's Spirit Partner Chime was also on the shoulder of Nuo as they both observed Imogen's friends, dissatisfied.

" Chi?" Nuo's winged friend said.

" I know. Young girls today are the devil's," Nuo said, smirked, shaked his head. " But a client is a client, and not helping her would tarnish my good reputation."

Nuo and Chime snuck down from the roof of the store, then sneaked in with the shadows while Imogen walked towards the subway platform.

" And I've never failed a case."

X-X-X-X-X

There was a great floundering crowd of young male and female business workers.

As soon as Imogen entered the platform, the place her friend Fuuta died, not long ago, she felt an eerie mist touch her legs. More and more her fears progressed, elicits, and became more grim on herself.

" Fuuta…" Imogen thought, pondered. " I know you're here, Fuuta. I can feel you close by."

Imogen had so many questions she wanted to ask her deceased friend. Fuuta had instilled such dread on her, and it was tearing her apart. Were there still any fond memories of Fuuta left in her?

Her suspicions were confirmed. There was no sign of anyone other than herself on the platform. As she felt the mist against her hair, turned around, she peered into the grotesque body of what she believed to be her deceased friend. Her anxiety arose staring at the tall, masculine figure, ghostly pale skin, teeth sharp as knives, blue hair, sharp black claws, and soulless yellow eyes as he carried a sword by its hilt.

" F-Fuuta?" Imogen sputter, she trembled seeing Fuuta's grotesque image. " Y-you are a-alive?"

" I'm entirely dead, and it's all because of YOU!" Fuuta in his form exclaimed. " You tossed me aside like a USELESS piece of garbage! And you did it all because YOU were mortified of being around ME!"

" You've got it all wrong! I wasn't ME! I never wanted any of this to happen! I'm sorry!"

Fuuta smiled snidely, laughed, "See, now you respect me!" Fuuta's snide smile turned into a distasted frown. " It's 'cause I'm a threat! Not that little nerd you once knew; I've now become Zure, Knight of Dark World!"

Imogen watched in horror as Zure/Fuuta raised his sword up and pointed its blade towards Imogen's neck.

" W-What are you doing with that SWORD!?"

"Repaying you for all the dolor that's befall on me 'cause of YOU!" Zure tightened his grip on his swords hilt, raised it overhead, and prepared to slash it downward, but not before saying: " Soon we will be together…FOREVE-!"

" YO!" Nou shouted, interrupted Zure of his execution.

Nou walked up from behind, and then he broke into a run. He slugged Zure straight in his stomach, causing blue blood to spill from his mouth. Zure was angry, upset, tried to cut Nou with his sword. Nou caught the sword, and threw it to the ground, and hit Zure in the face. Nou then preceded elbowing Zure in his face, and finished with an uppercut under his neck.

" A-ack!" Zure exclaimed, his anger took ahold of him. "You little bastard! Look what YOU done to ME!"

" I don't give a f***," Nou retorted in a brash demeanor. " As long as I get paid, nobody touches my clients!"

" You don't understand. That woman's the evil one—she's the one who killed ME!"

" I told you: I don't give a f***!" Nou then took out a small pentagonal black device, placed it on his right arm, and it unfolded into a flame-red Duel Disk with a picture of Little Chimera on it. " Since you're a Duel Spirit, you must've been given your own deck in the afterlife, so I'll be the one who'll face you for your freedom."

Zure responded to Nou's suggestion. Raising his sword up, watching as the metal pulled apart, a blue colored Duel Disk appeared on his arms. " I guess you're right; all us Duel Spirits are given a deck. And I've been hoping to have my first game with Imogen in the afterlife, but I guess you'll have to do for a start."

" Believe me, you piece of s***, I'm the last person you'll be facing, period."

" DUEL!"

Nou: 4000

Zure: 4000

" You can go first since you're the ugliest," offered Nou.

" Funny," Zure replied sarcastically. Zure drew his first card and then looked at the cards in his hand. " I'll start things off with my Foolish Burial. With this card I can send one Monster Card from my Deck to the Graveyard. I choose to send my PlagueSpreader Zombie to my Graveyard." A card popped out of Zure's deck, and he took the card out and placed it in the empty slot of his Duel Disk. " I'll set one monster Face Down and End my Turn."

Nou: 4000

Zure: 4000

Nou drew his first card and studied the text. " Hmm…So many possibilities—so many choices—and so many ways for me to win. Which one should I play first?" Zure's eyes weren't as good as Nou; he couldn't see Chime on Nou's shoulders, or how he speaked to him, " What do you think, Chime?"

" Talking to yourself?" Zure laughed snidely. " You humans truly are a poignant race!"

" You use to be a human, Fuuta, don't you remember?!" The sound of Imogen crying was heard.

" No, but I remember you KILLING me!"

" Stop it! You did it too yourself! You have no one to blame but yourself!"

" BOTH OF YOU SHUT UP!" Nou exclaimed, soon mellowed. " I'm trying to think here." Nou studied all six of his cards, moving them side by side, then he picked up the one in the middle. "I summon Kamaitachi (1700/600)!"

A small weasel with yellow fur, Japanese red marks on its fur, and a red metal coated tail with flames burning appeared on Kou's side of the field. The small weasel hissed at Zure.

" A little weasel; I'm so scared," Zure replied facetiously. " And what does thee think of our weasel—your little pet trying to stop me?"

" First: Kamaitachi is a weasel demon. Second: he's going to attack your facedown! Kamaitachi, go!"

Kamaitachi let out a cry and ran forward. It slashed its tail at Zure's facedown monster, and it was destroyed, but first revealed itself as a skeleton with tattered purple robes on its body, and it was promptly destroyed.

" Muwahahaha!" Zure/Fuuta laughed at the destruction of his very own monster. " You truly are a pathetic human!"

" Really, 'cause the way I see it, I seem to be in the lead."

" Heh, foolish human, you've fallen straight into my trap!"

" Is that so? Well maybe I'll just set two cards facedown and end my turn?" Nuo set two cards in his Spell/Trap card zone, and his turn ended immediately.

" Fuuta, why are you doing this?" Imogen pondered. " T-this can't be…real."

Nuo: 4000

Zure: 4000

Zure swiftly drew his next card and examined it, smiled. " Perfect. I play the Spell Card Dark World Dealings. Both you and me will draw one card from my deck, then we'll both send one card to our Graveyard." And with that, both Zure and Nou drew one card from their decks, then both sent one card from their decks to the Graveyard. Zure smiled. " It seems I have everything I need."

" What do you mean?" Nuo scoffed.

" Take a good luck, you pathetic human! With my Plaguespreader Zombie, Skull Servent, and Archfiend of Gilfer, I can Summon Dark Armed Dragon (2800/1000)!"

The ground rumbled below Nou, yet he maintained a cool expression on his face. Out of the ground ahead of Zure a large hole opened out, black mist spewed out, and a creature emerged from the hole. A dragon, green scaled skin and black armored, large blades sticking from its ridge, a tail with a metal coated tip and spikes seeping out, and soulless red eyes.

Black mist spewed from the dragon's mouth, roared, " ROWWWWWRRR!"

" Oh No!" Imogen gasped.

" Ahahahah! This is the end for you, human. Prepare to be relieved Imogen…in the netherworld! AHAHAHAHAH!"

Nuo: 4000

Zure: 4000

Nou kept himself calm. He was in a duel for a client in a subway station as his opponent was none other than a spirit of her deceased friend Fuuta. On Nou's field was a demon weasel named Kamaitachi and on Fuuta/Zure's field was the mighty dragon Dark Armed Dragon.

On the sidelines was the innocent Imogen who was feeling guilty because she was the one who ended her friend's life. All Imogen did was grieve over her friend—his anger for her was strong, and Imogen had been gloomy ever since.

Nou's monster Kamaitachi was shaking as he stared into the soulless red eyes of Dark Armed Dragon. Nou however was there to comfort his virtual monster as he brushed his hand against its back.

" Stay calm," Nou said too his terrified creature. " Just remember the money we'll make when the case is over."

" AHAHAHAHA!" Talking too your creature?!" Zure the spirit of a once happy student named Fuuta heckled. "Imogen sure lost it when she picked you! It's nothing but a holographic image!"

" You're wrong." Zure and Imogen both flinched as they both caught a glimpse of Nou's eyes twinkling in the light. " Every living thing all have vitality inside of them. You have to give it love, support otherwise you'll be doomed with failure."

Zure and Imogen were both speechless of Nou; he pet Kamaitachi's head while talking. Zure was speechless because he distasted every word out Nou's mouth. Imogen was speechless because she should've done as Nou said and treated Fuuta like a friend even when she became popular.

" Oh, treat everything with respect you say?" Zure said in a gall voice. " Tell me that after I do THIS!" A card popped out of Zure's Graveyard. The card itself soon fogged away in a mist once it was out. "Due to my Dark Armed Dragon's special ability, I can remove one Dark Monster card from my Graveyard in order to destroy one card on your field."

Dark Armed Dragon opened his mouth and a small black fireball was fired out. The fireball came into contact with Kamaitachi and his body shattered white dust as he soon disappeared.

" That wasn't very nice," Nou said nonchalantly while glaring at the remaining pieces of his monster floating in the air.

" Oh, did that hurt? Well prepare to feel the rest of my wrath!"

" Fuuta don't!" Imogen shouted. " You don't have too hurt him! I didn't mean for you to die!"

" You stay out of this, you hussy!" Zure shouted. " You made ME like this! So just can your water works and—"

" Both of you SHUT UP!" Nou interrupted. " God Dammit, let me think for one second!" Both Zure and Imogen were silenced as a small vein throbbed out of Nou's head as he was angry. However, the vein in his head soon subsided back in. " Look, I don't care who's fault you think it is 'cause frankly I think you're both guilt!"

" What?" Zure and Imogen unison.

" You heard me. You both are like a boyfriend and a girlfriend. From what I've heard the girlfriend shouldn't have been embarrassed and pushed her boyfriend, and the boyfriend should've let his girlfriend get him back up. You have no one to blame for your botch relationship."

" YOU!" Zure exclaimed. "You dare make a mockery of me?"

" Isn't too hard. Just like right now." Nou gazed at the ground; a flaming head was burning, and a faint illumination of a burning head of Kamaitachi. " Since you destroyed my Kamaitachi through a card effect I'm allowed to destroy one face-up monster on your side of the field and infect 500 points of damage to your Life Points."

The treacherous burning head charged for Dark Armed Dragon and soared straight through him. The mighty dragon roared before black mist spewed from its body and he soon disintegrated into dust.

Nuo: 4000

Zure: 3500

" Darn you! That hurt! I play the card Pot of Greed."

" That card has been banned for over several years."

" Screw that. I'll play whatever card I want! And with Pot of Greed I can draw two cards from my deck." Zure drew two cards from his deck and then smiled nastily as he looked at his hand. "I'm pretty sure you understand the concept of Synchro Summon?"

" Yes. I also understand the King of Games Yugi Mutou is in his sixties by now."

" Good. Synchro Summon: Is the act of Special Summoning a Synchro Monster from the Extra Deck using a Tuner monster with additional non-Tuner monsters." The smile on Zure's smile widened. "But before I do any of that I'll return one card in my hand on top of my Deck to Special Summon the Tuner monster in my Graveyard Plaguespreader Zombie(400/200)!"

As Zure put a card in his hand on top of his deck did a grotesque, petite purple undead zombie with a skull head come out of the Graveyard and laughed from his mouth. Zure also joined in with the laughter.

"Your monster is a freak like you," Nou said with a cool attitude. " What can that puny monster do?"

"It's not him you need to concern yourself with but the card I'm going to use next. I play Monster Reborn. With this card I can select one Monster Card from either of our Graveyards and Special Summon that monster too my side of the field. I choose to Special Summon my monster Ambitious Gofer(2400/100)!"

A giant sword with fur on the top and a giant red emblem showed out of nowhere. The sword sticked into the ground, the sound of electricity roared underneath as a giant pink head with a light purple face and blue eyes came out.

" I remember having a creature like that," Nou smiled.

" You did?" Zure asked.

" Yeah. Before my mom got a JOB! AHAHAHAHA!"

" Well I guess you've never had this. I tune my Plaguespreader Zombie with my Ambitious Gofer in order to Synchro Summon Blood Mefist(2800/1300)!"

Zure reached into his Extra Deck and pulled out a white card. Plaguespreader Zombie's body broke down and two giant green rings emerged out. The exoskeleton of Ambitious Gofer's giant head turned orange as he was surrounded by the two giant rings. Ambitious Gofer disappeared and a clown looking fellow wearing a black suit and top hat with gray skin as well a thin mustache came out.

" I definitely never had a creature like that," Nuo said nonchalantly. But there's no way I'd ever use such a silly looking monster like that."

" Please stop this, Fuuta!" Imogen cried. " I'll do anything you say! Just stop!"

" I equip Axe of Despair too my Blood Mefist. With this card my monster gains 1000 ATK power! (3800/1300)" A giant brown axe with a black blade appeared in Blood Mefist's hands. " Yes, feel it! Feel the whole extent of my power! My monster will destroy YOU! Blood Mefist, attack!"

Blood Mefist swished his large axe. A slice of air ran in, past Nou but he didn't seem the slightest bit surprised.

Nuo: 200

Zure: 3500

" Ahahahaha! Looks like this game is over, Mr. Detective! During your Standby Phase you'll take 300 points of damage for every card on your field. So sorry but it looks like you lose this one, detective! And when you're gone I'll send you right into the Netherworld!"

Zure laughed wickedly through his mouth. Zure's voice rumbled, echoed through the subway station—a symbol of his wickedness—taken up all of Nuo's concentration out of him.

" I'm afraid you're terribly mistaken," Nuo replied. " I play the Trap Card Solemn Wishes." A Trap card of a blonde woman smiling under a pour of rain came out. "See, every time I play a card from my deck my Solemn Wishes will give me 500 Life Points. And according to my calculations: I'm saved."

" Guah! OI! You insolent little brat! Why can't you just die like ordinary kids?"

" Why would I want to be an ordinary kid? Ordinary kids are boring. I'd much rather be a card detective." Chime Nou's small Little Chimera appeared on Nou's shoulder and then affectionately rubbed against his cheeks while purring. " See? There's nothing wrong about being me. And there's nothing wrong with you or Imogen—so just shut the f*** up!"

" Guah!" Both Imogen and Zure stammered.

Zure recovered, growled, said, " Fine! I end my turn!"

Nou: 700

Zure: 3500

Nou drew one card from his deck. As his Standby Phase went through a long whip made entirely out of blood appeared in Blood Mefist's hands. The gray skinned monster with his small mustache whipped his whip over to Nou and scratched his cheeks. The pain was virtual so Nou shouldn't have felt anything, but soon a small trickle of blood oozed from Nou's right cheek.

Nou: 100

Zure: 3500

" Is that the best you've got? Well, I'm afraid I'm going to be the one who'll end this duel."

" You!" Zure yelled amused as he pointed a finger directly at Nou, but then laughed mockingly. " Ahahahaha! Do you really think you can stop my Mefist?! Ahahahaha! And (recovering from his laughing)…and even if you do defeat my monster you still won't be able to wipe out my monster! But what he doesn't know is my other worldly abilities. Ever since we've started my Demon Touch has allowed me to pick any cards in my Deck and draw it. As soon as it's my turn I'll draw the card Final Flame. A weak card indeed, but it'll do 600 points too his insolent boy and rid him from me!"

" I'm first going to remove my Kamaitachi from my Graveyard in order to Special Summon my Flame Spirit(1700)" A wall of flames roared from the ground. From beneath the grounds came a giant red ogre with bulky arms, no legs and pitch black eyes. "And since he was Special Summon I'm allowed to Normal Summon my very own Tuner Monster Rose, Warrior of Revenge (1600)!" A tornado of flowers spinned around on the duel field. A woman wearing a blue ninja outfit with long red hair in a ponytail came out of the tornado and kicked her leg up high. Rose turned too Flame Spirit, Flame Spirit stared at Rose, then both of Nou's monsters smiled. " They make a pretty good couple, wouldn't you agree?"

" They're revolting and puny. Do you really think trash like that alone could do anything too me?"

" Nope. But together they'll kick your ass. I tune my Rose with my Flame Spirit in order to Synchro Summon Ancient Faerie Dragon! (2100/3000)

Rose disappeared, reappeared besides Spirit of the Flames. Rose then pecked Flame Spirit's right red cheek and as she did her body broke down into four giant green rings and surrounded Flame Spirit's body.

A dragon fly out of the four rings while Flame Spirit's body disappeared in a brilliant flash of bright white light. The new monster had green yet dark scales, long serpentine body, two massive colorful wings, yellow eyes and brilliant green hair flowing out its hair.

The dragon flew to Nuo, rested its long tail on the subway's floor, said in a rumbling voice, " Why have you disturbed my slumber?"

" Forgive me most honourable dragon," Nuo said in a sarcastic tone. " But I need your lazy ass."

The dragon noticed blood on Nuo's cheeks, smiled, "So, you've finally managed to find a decent opponent, eh?"

" Yes, and I know how much you enjoy killing strong prey."

" Who's he talking to?" Imogen asked to herself.

The sound of laughter was heard as the dragon's body started shaking. " Good. Do you have that stupid card in your hand."

Nuo smiled, raised one card in his hand high up, said, " Got it right here, big guy. I play the Field Spell Molten Destruction.

A hidden tray sticked out from Nuo's Duel Disk as Nuo placed his card in it before it closed. The area of the subway was covered by small mountains with lava coming out of the peak and flooding down. Imogen and Zure were surprised that they were on rocky ground yet lava was flowing around it.

" So you changed the scenery; big deal," Zure scoffed. " How's this suppose too help you beat me?"

" I'll start with My Ancient Faerie Dragon. When A Field Spell is activated I can draw one card from my deck." Nuo picked up the top card of his deck and added it into his hand. " Next is my dragon's other ability. Once per turn I can destroy one face-up monster on your side of the field I I control a Field Spell. I choose your Blood Mefist! Ancient Faerie Dragon, let's go!"

"He's all MINE!"

A large black ball began to glow inside of Ancient Faerie's Dragon's mouth. It was then that the dragon breathed a dark violet beam of energy at Blood Mefist and his whole body was destroyed as well the bits of him burned off fell into the lava below.

Zure however wasn't in the faint bit worried, laughed, " Hahahahaha! Is that all you got, you insolent little boy?! Even if you do hit me I'll still have Life Points! Muwahahahaha!"

" You know what, this guy really is an idiot." Nou looked at the last card in his hand, and realized it was Little Chimera. Nou could've sworn he saw his petit monsters face smile as he held him in his arm. " Okay partner, let's finish this duel. I reveal the facedown Raising Energy." Nou's facedown card flipped over and a picture of a man groveling with red light around him. " By discarding one card my face-up monster gains 1500 ATK points. I chose my Ancient Faerie Dragon (3600)"

" 3600 Attack Points?!"

" That's right. And if my calculations are accurate: you-are-dead. Faerie, let's finish THIS!"

Ancient Faerie Dragon swooped in and charged straight into Zure. Bone crushing noises were heard as Ancient Faerie Dragon's jaw clasped his Duel Disk and blow it too smithereens with a powerful beam of green energy.

" NO!" Zure shouted while staring at his destroyed Duel Disk.

Nuo: 100

Zure: 0

" Fuuta!" Imogen cried.

" Mission accomplished!" Nuo said while pumping his arm holding his Duel Disk in the air.

The scenery and Nuo's monster Ancient Faerie Dragon all disappeared from the field. Zure and Imogen were both suffering as Zure's body began to dissolve.

" No!" Imogen cried while kneeling besides her dissolving deceased friend. " Please don't go, Fuuta! Don't leave me!"

" I-Imogen…" Zure bemoaned in sorrow as his body continued to dissolve. "Please…" Zure raised his one hand to Imogen and motioned for her to grab it. "Can I please hold your hand one last time?"

There was a moment of silence between Zure and Imogen; just a few mere seconds. Then Imogen grabbed Zure's hand and willingly rubbed it against her face. Tears soon dripped from her eyes as the arm dissolved entirely.

" If you and I ever meet again…can we please be friends again?"

Zure's body was too dissolved and deformed as he became nothing more than a puddle of flesh—before his body had completely became a puddle…Imogen could almost see a smile on his face.

Then her friend was gone and it was just Imogen and Nuo left in the subway.

"Well, the case is done," Nuo said without any sensitivity for her friends departure. " I'll be taking my fee of ¥ 100,000. Also, I don't take checks. And I do hope you hurry it up as I have an Omiai soon."

X-X-X-X-X

The girl Nuo was sitting on the other end of the table was Nuo's fifteenth date. Nuo was one of the best detectives in the world yet he had one strong disadvantage: nearly every girl he ever comes in contact with besides his clients were afraid of him.

The girl on the other end of the table was no different as she trembled looking at Nuo. Her name was Yukuzi. Long wavy black hair (tied up with a green band), freckles, jade green eyes, 5'6", skinny, tan skin. She wore a nice red dress.

" S-so you're a…detective?..." Yukuzi said while she was petrified with her. " H-how…does that go?"

" Well, it's a very challenging career," Nuo replied cockily. " And every moment you stay away from it could affect you. Perhaps you've heard of the movie Silence of the Lambs by Jonathan Demme?"

" N-no."

" Well, it takes place in the 1991; it's an ancient movie. It has this serial killer played by Ted Levine who kidnaps woman and peels their skin off too use for his own, he puts them in a well, starves'em, and then kills them. A girl training to be in the FBI played by Jodie Foster has to train with another serial killer played by Anthony Hopkins who eats the skin of his victims. One of its greatest moments is when the cannibal rips a police officer's face off with his knife and puts it over his face too escape prison. All the newer scary movies couldn't hold a bullet too this one."

However, as Nuo had just recovered from his movie chatter did he see Yukuzi away from her table and trembling. Nuo was confused with the girls fear and then he got away from his table. " Well, it was nice talking to you."

X-X-X-X-X

Nuo opened the door to his apartment/workstation. Nuo did the same thing he did after every failed Omiai: ignore them. Nuo never really wanted to have a girlfriend; it was all his father's idea of how he wanted grandchildren.

" I'm home!" Nuo called for his roommate to show up to which he did.

Nuo was a person who could see the spirits of Duel Monster cards—everyone from when the first pack came out to the latest ones—he could make friends with each and every one of them. The creature who showed up to greet Nuo was his friend Mile's the Milus Radiant. Mile's had the appearance of a small dog, brown fur, dark blue handkerchief under his neck, two metal hoops for ear rings, a small blue horn, and dark eyes.

" Hey there, buddy," Nuo laughed while Mile's licked Nuo's hands. "Looks like someone is hungry. How about a little lunch for my little champion?"

Nuo was about to walk too his office door but heard a knock on his door. " Mr. Nuo Yusui are you in there?"

" Er, yes, but I'm closed right now."

" Please let me in! It's a matter of life or death!"

" Well, if you say it that way I guess I have no other choice."

Nuo opened the door to his apartment/office and a boy fell in. A little boy, kinda long, messy dark blue hair which covers his eyes so he wears a black headband. He has bright blue eyes and isn't very tall 5'5. He was wearing and a little bit too long dark blue jeans, the bottom covering alot of his white sandals. He wears a loose plain white t-shirt and a long silver chain around his neck.

"Hey kid, are you alright?" Nuo said helping the boy too his feet. "That was some fall you had there."

"Please…help me."

X-X-X-X-X

Nuo let the kid straight into his office and sat him on a chair. Nuo could tell just by looking at the kid that he was docile, but he couldn't help but notice he was distraught.

"So your name is Atticus?" Nuo asked, he had a piece of paper on his desk and was scribbling on it.

" Y-yes," Atticus said rather hesitantly.

" Okay. My services aren't cheap. So what seems to be the problem?"

" It's my brother. A year ago he went too this tournament called Duelist Kingdom run by the son of Maximillion Pegasus and I haven't heard from him ever since."

" Really?" Nuo wrote the information on his piece of paper. "A year is a pretty long time. Why haven't you alerted the authorities about this?"

" I tried, but they don't have jurisdiction anywhere near Pegasus's son. I also didn't know he was gone for 6 months since he moved away after he turned eighteen. Now…I got an invitation to join Duelist Kingdom."

" Cut to the chase would ya. I'm on a very busy schedule, and I don't want to waste any more time."

" Well…I was hoping, wondering if maybe you could take my place in the tournament."

" What?"

" Well…I'm scared to go, and I understand you're the youngest detective. I mean…nobody knows what I really look like, and maybe you could use that to sneak in?"

" Sorry kid, but I'm not too great of an actor."

" Please! I'll pay you one hundred million yen if you can pull off this case."

" Kid I don't think you—did you say one hundred million yen?"

" Yes! My family is very wealthy! We can give you anything you want. I just want you to find out what happened to my brother."

Nuo had a lot of thinking he had to do. One: did he really need the money? Two: could he really trust someone with blue hair? Then Nuo thought about what he could do with the money: late nights at the movies, smorgasbord of one of the finest cuisines and even get lots of candy; the junk he liked to eat.

" Okay. Wait until they get a load of me."