The Fallen | Teen Ink

The Fallen

By Bra-Bra, Kempton Park, Other
Bra-Bra, Kempton Park, Other

Logic will get you from A to B, imagination will take you everywhere

Author's note: the book Fallen by Lauren Kate inspired me to write this piece

We were driving down the discoloured highway it was grey instead of black and the lines on the road were faded. There wasn’t much traffic on the road so we drove by easily.
“Next, s***, crap” I was saying while flicking through my mother’s music on her IPod
“This isn’t crap or s*** music its good, solid gold music from back in the day, not like your crap head-banging screamo stuff you listen to” she explained
“YEAH back in the day when the dinosaurs roamed the earth. Did you have a pet dinosaur?” I asked
My mother made a sarcastic laugh
“Aunty DI he has a point this is bad music and our head-banging music is pretty good” my older cousin said from the back of the car. She had short blond hair with a rounded face almost completely covered it pimples, she was tall and skinny
“Thanks, Danny” I replied while I rolled my eyes at her
“So where do I have to turn off?” My mom asked us
“At the next off-ramp” I said
We drove in silence for the rest of the way listening to the faint music in the background. We soon saw our newly built school for the first time it was in an electronic ‘C’ shape with dark grey walls it was 2 stories high with a metal roof, there was a huge heap of square grass patches that still obviously had to be planted. Next to the building was another smaller building but also quite high but it seemed to be one story only
“It’s huge!” I exclaimed
“They still need to build the high school” my cousin said
“If they still going to build the high-school then where are we going to work and how!” I asked
“No this is the temporary high-school at the top” my cousin explained
“You mean the second story, ‘at the top’ is the roof and that metal will break if we sit on it” I corrected her “so this is St. John’s Academy”
“That it is” my mom retorted
We got out of the car and walked toward the front doors, which was made up of glass with the name ‘Golden Cross Academy’ on it. Outside the front doors were a few primary and high school teachers greeting the children and talking to the parents. I greeted a few teachers and walked through the glass doors to put my extremely heavy bag down. A few seconds after my bag was on the floor my old friend hugged me from the back
“Hello Jono” she said
She was a bit overweight and was a head shorter than I was. She had blond hair and had perfectly plucked eyebrows, her eyes were hazel brown. She was tan and absolutely gorgeous with her flawless skin
“Hey you b****” I said jokingly
“Yeah but I’m your b****” she replied
“I would never date you” I said seriously
“Why?” she asked looking sad
“I don’t want to ruin our friendship EVER!” I replied
“Oh okay then” she said still looking a bit sad
“Okay so let’s move on” I said quickly “you ready?” I asked her
“For?” she replied with another question
“The first day of high school dumbass” I said
“Oh that yeah I am but I’m a bit nervous” she said
“Okay I’m on the other hand am s*** scared” I said
At that last comment the school bell rang saying it is time for class. The entire grade 8s lined up in a line and was split into two classes 8M and 8B.
“Jonathan Daven” the teacher called my name, I looked up “8B” she said. I then walked into the 8B line and waited for the rest of the classes to be split up.
When the teacher finished splitting us up another two teachers walked into view both slim and looked about in their thirties
“8M please follow me” said one teacher who was male with a raspy voice. He had a checked blue shirt tucked into a black pair of chinos with high polished black shoes. The class followed the teacher to their register class.
“8B please follow me to your register class” said the female teacher. She was wearing a summer dress with different types and colours of flowers on it. She has grass green eyes and had brunette hair she had a small delicate face which had piles of make-up on. As we walked to our register class someone came to stand next to me;
“Hi I’m Aimee” she said whipping her short blonde hair out of her face
“I’m Jonathan” I replied with a warm smile “nice to meet you”
When we walked into class we all sat were we wanted, I sat next to Amanda. The teacher introduced herself as Ms DE Felder and says she was a geography teacher but she does reach the grade eights and nines
"Mrs Alber teaches you guys’ geography" Ms DE Felder informed us. The teacher explained without success the school rules and handed us our timetable and explained to us in great detail how the timetable system worked. Once she was finished with explaining everything there was a little bit of time left before first session. So we spoke among us, soon after there was a cacophony of sounds the boys were making
"Ooi you little shits, shut up" the teacher screamed
I laughed; the teacher smiled and looked in my direction.
"It seems as if someone has a good sense of humour, what is your name sweetie?" she asked me
"Jonathan, ma’am" I replied
When the school bell rang indicating the start of the first period we all got up and was just about to leave when the teacher said "Wait, I almost forgot there will be a talent show a few months from now and there will be audition lists up on the notice boards, and we need as many people as possible, I'll explain everything in finer detail tomorrow. You're dismissed"
As I walked outside I thought about entering the talent show "this may be the time I can show everyone about super naturals and the creatures out in the world, but what am I going to do" I thought
"Hey Jonathan what's the first period" someone asked my from behind, I recognized his voice and turned around to see if I was right and yes it was the infamous Simon. He had short army style black hair and was an inch or two shorter than me be had a few pimples and had a small button nose
"Um... It’s EGD" I replied back kindly
"Thanks" he said, she smooth, pink lips curled to reveal a smile
I smiled back
Amanda caught up with me, and started to say something but I wasn't paying attention
"-hey, would you like to" she said
"Pardon, please repeat" I asked
"I was saying do you want to meet the rest of the group" she repeated herself with a hint of annoyance in her tone
"Um... Yeah totally, please that'd be great" I replied
"Kay just come with me at break and ill introduce you" she told me and we were quiet as we walked the rest of the way to EGD. As we got into the class our teacher told us to it at a desk, once we all settled down he introduced himself as MR. Smith and told us that EGD is just technical drawings. Be showed us what a T-square and a drawing board was and asked us if we knew how to do an isometric drawing.
I was the only one who put up a hand. After the first four periods of the day it was finally time for break, I took out my lunch box and opened to see what I had for lunch; I had a small fruit salad and a cheese sandwich.
"Jonathan, come follow me" Amanda said
As I followed Amanda and while we were walking I was thinking “it’s nearly my birthday” I thought. We walked down the stairs toward the large school quad and I thought “Everyone thinks I’m a harmless teenager, HA I’m five thousand years old” I thought as a wicked half smile broke onto my face. Amanda sat at a grey bench with four other people sitting there. All girls and one guy.
“Hey guys this is Jonathan, as you guys should know already” she introduced me as her pale blue eyes landed on me and she smiled revealing her white teeth
“Hi I’m Christina” said the girl to my far left. She had a perfectly rounded face with a few cute freckles on her face. Her eyes where dark blue, her lips were pink and glossy and her nose was small but matched her perfect face “aren’t you the one who laughed at Ms DE Felder’s joke?” she asked while running her had through her long black hair
I laughed and replied “Yes”
“Anyway, my name is Michaela nice to meet you” said a short pale girl with flawless skin and dirty blond hair with dark brown eyes and glasses
“Hi” I replied nervously
She seemed one not to mess with, but I could see kindness in her eyes
“So how you” Michaela asked me
“I’m great, but deep in thought” I replied
“About?” A guy asked me, I recognized him from class and his name is Jason. His violet eyes stared at me in wonder, his perfectly plucked eyebrows raised in anticipation and his chin resting on his tan hands
“Um… nothing” I replied and chuckled
“Well how can you think of nothing” the last girl asked me while she fixed her bun of her dark brown hair
“Well I am thinking of something but it’s not really important” I answered her question while looking down at my shoes, as I did this I scratch the one slit on my right shoulder wing were my black angelic wings unfurls out of my skin. “What is your name, if you don’t mind me asking?” I asked the girl
“Of course I do” She snapped looking very serious, seeing the shock on my face she quickly chuckled and said “no I’m just joking with you, my name is…. Drum roll please…. Jessica!!!” She eventually said
“Nice to make your acquaintance” I said politely
“Sit, make yourself comfy, we won’t bite” Amanda joked
“Thank You” I replied to her with a delightful smile

As the day wore on, I got to know my new friends better and soon we became close and I became less nervous. The last period of the day was accounting and I was expecting it to be terribly hard, but it wasn’t, actually I found it to be the easiest subject of the day.
When the school day ended my friends and I walked toward the car park and we waited. Christina was the first leave in a black SUV, and then it was Michaela in a Mercedes A5. Next was Jessica which Amanda and I walked with her to the car and we met her mother which was a short kind young woman with long brown hair and wears glasses, so that left Amanda and I, we got along quite well and we had a lot in common. Soon after 4:30 my mom came to pick us up, I said my goodbyes to Amanda whom gave me a hug and ruffled up my jet black which the made it look untidy so I flicked my hair and we both shared a good laugh. As I walked toward the car Amanda snuck up behind me and hugged me from behind and gave me a fright, after I gave a yelp we both burst into laughter. I gave her one last goodbye then retreated to the car only to slide down my window and wave to her and shout ‘goodbye’.
As we drove down the road I was deep in thought again, this time was thinking about what I should cook for supper that night, I was thinking maybe a roast chicken and Crème Brule for dessert.
“What was that about, have you found a new girlfriend?” my mom asked
“No mom I only met her today, we’re just friends” I replied feeling irritated
“Okay, calm down I’m just asking” my mom said
“It’s okay we’re all inquisitive at times” I told her with a bright smile that could light up a whole house
We dropped off my cousin by her house and my mom soon dropped us off and went back to work. My brother and I was left at the house alone, out of habit I went to the study to do the homework we got that day and study it over and over so I could understand it for the next time we go back to those specific classes. Later that afternoon I went to my room to play my Skyrim on my Xbox. As I fought a blood dragon on my game I soon wondered about my hundreds of dragon eggs and when I should put them in a fire to hatch
“Soon” I spoke quietly to myself “Very soon”
My step-dad came home after 6:30. He was very muscular with black hair but it was greying but it went unnoticed. He was very tan and was always cleanly shaven. He wore I white shirt with cream coloured shorts
“Boys, your mother will be coming home at eight, so you will be on your best behaviour
When I’m here. Please do not disturb me I have a lot of work to do” he said very seriously
Seeing the seriousness on his face I said “Chill Greg we won’t. How was your day?” I asked
“Busy” he replied still looking very serious “did you study?” he asked me
“Yes and I understand it all” I lied I only understood the accounting
“Okay good boy” he praised me
I went back to playing Skyrim…
The time flew by because before I knew it I heard the door open and heard my mom shout ‘hello”. I saved my game and switched off the Xbox and went to greet my mom who had bought pizza from our local pizza store
“You did get the vegetarian right?” I asked
“Yes you fussy eater” my mom retorted
“I am not fussy, I’m simply vegetarian” I replied to her comment
“I know, that’s the point” my mom said
After eating our pizza I took a shower and got into bed, after waiting till 9:56 my parents went to bed and my brother should be sleeping so I snuck up out of bed and pulled a pair of black skinny jeans on and thought of putting a shirt on but thought better of it. I snuck out of the front door and checked for any cars coming down the road, when I thought it was safe I allowed my wings to unfurl, they were angelic wing but raven black in colour, that’s what happens when an angel fall, but nevertheless I fight for heaven and not for hell. I bent down, my knees almost touching the tarred road and kicked off with a whoosh. I was now up in the ait giving my wings a stretch, I flew straight and I could feel the wind against my skin it was cold but refreshing. I used my angel given gift to make it rain. This night reminded me of the fall all over again, the images of the darkness, and me plummeting toward the earth came rushing into my head
I fell…
I hit a tar road but fortunately I didn’t break anything. I recognized this place and it wasn’t far from my house, I got up from the ground and was startled by a voice that came from behind me, it was a soft voice and definitely female, I recognized as soon as she spoke
“How was your flight?” She asked me
“Ahh Chaniqua how you?” I asked. She had long black hair that reached her knees, her eyes were pink and radiant, and her eye-lashes were long and beautiful. She had a small pinched face, her skin was mud-brown and she was a fairy, her wings were like her eyes, pink and radiant. She used to be part of clan Fae but I did their clan a huge favour to kill the ogres that surrounded them and in return they gave me Chaniqua who offered to go but I was more than welcome for her to join me on my quests.
“I’m doing excellent, but I still asked you a question” she replied
“Well it was disturbed by the images of the fall, but other than that it was good” I replied to her question
“You need to spell to block out those horrible memories” she told me
“I can’t” I said to her
“Why not? You’re more than powerful enough” she asked me
“It reminds me of who I really am! Okay” I shouted out
“No that’s not enough, I mean falling from heaven should be enough to remind you who you are” she told me
“Yes, an evil angel who fell because I agreed with Lucifer!” I exclaimed
Chaniqua slapped me “Don’t you ever think that, EVER!!!” She shouted at me
“I’m sorry, it just seems so true. I feel like…like” I was lost of words
“A demon” Chaniqua helped me “well you’re not so get that out of your head, now!” she told me
“Well I have black wings just like a demon does” I informed her
“But you don’t have Lucifer’s mark, and all angels get black wings when they fall”
“I’m sorry I’ve just been a bit-“Chaniqua cut me off
“Does not matter at the moment, but what really matters is that Lucifer put a huge bounty on your head, so all the bounty hunters are after you. What I learned of this I made you these, I took your halo and made some changes to it and duplicated it” she pulled out 10 circular halos made up completely of sunshine
“I see no difference” I told her feeling inquisitive
She took a halo out of the bunch and flicked her wrist which made the halo grow spikes.
“And I stole your sword and you staff and combined it into one weapon” she pulled out the staff/sword “to switch between weapons just do the same things with the halos” she informed me then gave me my new weapons
“Yay new toys” I said gleefully

After P.T it was time to go home but I was going to stay at school to six today, so I decided instead of going home sweaty like most of the guys in my class I’m going to take I shower. I got to the boys bathroom and scanned the showers and found they were in excellent shape, so I got into the one I choose and made sure no one was there, I was alone. So I undressed and turned on the shower and waited it to warm up, once the shower was hot enough for me I went under the shower of clear liquid and felt the warm water run down the length of my body. I took out my soap and shampoo from my toiletry bag and started to wash myself while I sang
Dead star shine
light up the sky
I’m all out of breath
my walls are closing in
days go by
come back to the end…
I became silent as someone walked into the bathroom
Zzzip came the sound of him pulling down his zipper. The sound came again and I heard footsteps leaving the bathroom.
No longer the lost
no longer the same
and I can see you starting to break
I’ll keep you alive
if you show me the way
forever- and ever
the scars will remain
With that I rinsed my hair and turned the knobs which turned the water off, I got dressed in clothes I brought from my house. I wore black skinny jeans, a black long-sleeved top and a black hoody with black sneakers. I repacked my bag and walked out of the bathroom, just to be interrupted by my art teacher
“Jonathan, was that you singing?” my teacher asked me
“Um… yes ma’am” I replied “why are you asking?” I also asked a question
“No it was just that you have a beautiful voice” my teacher told my
“HAHA no ma’am you the bathroom distorts your voice, so that isn’t my real singing voice, my real singing voice sucks and… I can’t sing for my life”
“No Jonathan a bathroom doesn’t distort your voice, just please try the do the talent show you’ll do well” she told me
“Well ma’am I could try but will the stage be big enough for a band because I have a band and all” I told my teacher
“You have a and, that’s perfect!” my teacher shouted
“SHHH please ma’am I don’t want everyone to know about that that” I Told my teacher
“Okay my liefie” she told me
“Thanks ma’am” I said as I turned my back to her and started to walk in the opposite direction “liefie my ass”
As the rest of the week dragged by it was finally the weekend which I found out I’d prefer to go back to school, we went camping and I hate camping

When the weekend ended it was Monday; the worst day of the week! We went to line up in the quad like we do every morning and we went to assembly were I would be teased by the grade nines. We walked into the hall and found the stage set up for a band “today looks like it would be good” I thought to myself. So I sat down on our seats, which mine felt a bit wobbly. Looking down at the red carpet I allowed my imagination run wild like I always do. The high school principle walked in and we all stood up to show our respect, he wore a striped blue and white top with a green tie and cream chino pants, we all sat down and I got back to imagining my alternative life, were I had lots of money and I was a celebrity.
“Good morning everyone” our principle said to us
“Good morning sir” some of us replied
“I was informed yesterday by Miss Henderson that we have a singer in the school…”
I ignored our principle and imagined things
“Please everyone give a warm hand to Jonathan Daven in grade eight”
Everyone cheered but I did not hear what the commotion was about so I came back to earth and clapped along with everyone like a sheep that I am. Everyone stopped clapping and then burst into laughter
“What’s happening, I don’t get it?” I asked the guy next to me
“You- were called- up onto the- stage” he replied between bursts of laughter
“Oh” I said as I shot bolt up and looked around as everyone looked at me while laughing; I felt the blood going to my cheeks as I blushed in shame. I started to walk toward the stage when I stopped half way there in shock when I saw my band mates walking on the stage in the black skinnies and black tops with blazers
“Damn it!!!” I thought to myself. I walked onto the stage and was handed the microphone
“Ma’am I specifically asked not to tell everyone that whole singing incident on Wednesday” I told my teacher sounding very angry
“But you are a great singer and I thought you need to show the school you talent” she shouted from where she was, I heard her voice very faintly but I understood what she said
“I am a terrible singer” I told her and the rest of the school
“Jonathan, I asked your band members, your manager and your clothes designer to be here today so you guys can perform, so you will sing got it!” she replied to me in a bitchy attitude
“Um…. Okay so then I suppose I start” I said with a glare at Miss Henderson “The first song is um, crawl. You guys should know it by know, do you?” I asked my band mates
“Yes we do” Ben said with a huge exaggerated sigh
“One two, one two three” said the drummer while hitting his drum sticks together
The burst of sound from the amplifier was huge; you could clearly hear the guitars and the drums. Soon after the song started to play I had to sign
Shadow of a man
I am nothing less
I am holding on
Still holding on
and every now and then life begins again
I am holding on
still holding on
I’m not like you
your faceless lies
your weak dead heart
your black dead eyes
I’ll make it through, but not this time
your hope is gone and so is mine
LIVE, FIGHT
crawl back inside
SICK, BLIND
Love left behind
and I won’t live
your weak wicked lie
you pull me in, I’m one step behind