The Short Life of Dia Stone | Teen Ink

The Short Life of Dia Stone

April 20, 2013
By JordanDoyle BRONZE, Esko, Minnesota
More by this author
JordanDoyle BRONZE, Esko, Minnesota
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If people are making fun of you, you must be doing something right."
-Amy Lee


Panem is hell, especially during this time, Hunger Game time. I’ve trained since I was twelve, but there’s just something about the whole arena that scares me. I would never kill for pleasure. The thought that I might have to experience people doing such an activity makes me sick. I’ve grown up watching the Hunger Games, and I’ve seen some sick s***. People eating each other, legs being blown off, and so much more; but the thought that I might have to do all these things to stay alive scares me to death.

My name is Dia Stone, and I am a tribute in the Annual 74th Hunger Games.


I guess it all started on the day of the Reaping. Being from District 3, the games were very celebratory. They were huge. We have a lot of victors in District 3 which means they expect us to win. In my District we specialize in technology, and provide the Capitol with all the amazing technology.

Now, you’re probably wondering what the Capitol is. Our Capitol is the thing that makes all of Panem tick. They hold us together, but sometimes it’s all a bit too much. I can feel the tension in the air when I was watching the other Reapings. The Capitol may control our every move, but we hold the numbers and power against them.

The Reaping always takes place at the center of our city. The stage is solid bulletproof glass, our curtains are pure silk, and the microphones are solid gold. Now, this Reaping was different. I was almost guaranteed to be picked to enter the arena. My name was in the big glass ball 88 times. The odds weren’t in my favor, but I was perfectly fine with that.

My father is the president of District 3, so my mother and I had everything we wanted. My mother was the owner of a very successful company called Panem Tech; they are the master minds behind all the machinery the Capitol uses for their everyday life. They are also responsible for all the deadly technology used in each Hunger Games.

Now as the president’s only daughter, I was placed on a pedestal. I was never touched at school in fear that people would be killed by my father’s workers. I just wanted to be normal. Since I had absolutely no social life, I spent all my time training, and now I can use almost any weapon of my choice to perfection.

I hope to come out victorious, but not by killing people. By out-witting, out-smarting, and out-lasting everyone. I will only kill if I absolutely have too. My plan was very simple; run and hide. I know I’m smart enough to hunt and find water and make alliances with others, but do I have the guts to kill someone if I have too?
The Reapings are always really hard for my parents because they have to watch innocent children be put into their own tombs. It was hard for me too. One year ago, my best and only friend was put into the games. I always promised I would volunteer for her if she was ever drawn, but on that specific year she didn’t want me to take her place. She came in fifth place and slowly bled to death after she was stabbed repeatedly in the stomach by a tribute from District 1 who actually ended up winning. I plan to avenge her and get revenge on the people that killed my only best friend.
Now, we have people that come from the Capitol to escort the new tributes to the arena. We call these people ambassadors, and they are usually really loud and outgoing and dress very odd. Our ambassador is a very young man who goes by the name of Paul. At the first glance, you could easily mistake Paul for a woman; but you talk to him and look deeply into his personality and realize how much of a womanizer he is; and you realize he’s a man. And like most men from the Capitol, he’s a real big jerk.
I walked out of my house with my head held high, and the ability to shake away the jitters that usually occur in everyone around this time of year. Since District Three was located pretty south, it was always almost humid and hot; so it was pretty foggy and it looked like it was going to rain. I saw all the kids glumly walking to the center of town in large groups so they wouldn’t feel so alone. It was a pointless strategy but it was comfort for the younger ones.
As I walked into the poorest part of the town I felt the first raindrops hit my face and slowly slide down my cheek. The rain made the illusion I was crying, but I wasn’t; I couldn’t wait to board the train to the Capitol and show the people what I was really made of. The poor part of the town was probably the biggest part of District 3. Believe it or not, we were one of the poorest Districts because of the Dark Days; our District was one of the first to rebel and the Capitol thought it was proper punishment to give us almost no money and to put us on the back burner. I’m really lucky and protected where I live. It’s gated and protected 24 hours a day by armed guards and a high voltage fence that was always running.
I looked at the familiar stage that stood in front of me with the solid gold microphone that glimmered as the rain slowly dripped off the edges. The bright gold, black and red lights of the stage constantly flashed to the ground symbolizing the Capitols power over us and how they can control our every move we make.
I walked up to the registration tables awaiting the sting of the needle so they could read my blood. I heard the machine say my name in its robotic, monotone voice. “Dia Stone.”
“Please move ahead,” said the assistant behind the table.
“Thanks,” I replied. I walked up into my age group and saw Paul walking up the steps onto the stage with his long, overzealous golden robe dragging up the stairs. His forearm length gloves were sequenced with silver, and they shimmered in the sun as he swung his arms; his yellow hair stood out from everyone else’s dark brown hair. With all the colors painted on his face, Paul could pass as a rainbow in the deep blue sky. He reached the gleaming microphone, and with great elegance, threw up his arms which sent a roaring cheer in the crowd.
“Hello everyone, and happy Hunger Games!” His rich, cheery voice made the crowd even wilder with excitement. “May the odds be ever in your favor.” More cheering arose from the crowd.
I looked around at the twelve year olds and saw the horror on their faces. Some had lost siblings in the games and even older friends. They were clueless about the world around them, but their lives could end; and all it would take is one slip of paper.
The cheering finally subsided and I could see Paul’s face filled with eagerness to draw the tribute’s names.
“Now, will you please all join me in watching the annual Panem Hunger Games video.” In District Three, it became mandatory for us to put our hands on our hearts while the video played to show our deep apologies to the Capitol for trying to rebel against them 73 years ago. I didn’t think the act showed apology, it showed power and bureaucratic handle over us.
As the video ended, the jitters started to pulse through my body. I felt as cold as my near future in the arena, and every time I blinked I saw my limp lifeless body on a soft bed of grass with my eyes stuck shut by dried blood. I opened my eyes completely unaware of how much time had gone by. I looked up at the stage and saw Paul’s hand deep inside the glass ball. I clenched my jaw as he pulled the slip of paper out and walked toward the microphone.
“And the female tribute for the annual 74th Hunger Games is Clear Rivers.” I looked at her and saw how pale her face had become once she processed her name was called. She was only twelve and had beautiful blonde locks and bright blue eyes with a perfectly freckled face. The crowd cheered with happiness for her; they all thought this was a great opportunity for her to become a person, but in reality she was going to die. I still couldn’t fathom the thought that her name, which was in there once, was drawn instead of mine which was in there 88 times.
“Where is Clear? Clear, come up on stage dear,” said Paul into the microphone. She started walking towards the stage in a slow, deadly manner which made my heart hurt so much. I saw tears start to flow down her freckled cheeks and my heart just snapped.
“I volunteer as tribute!” I shouted. Clear turned around and stared into my soul; it felt like her deep eyes went right through my whole body. I felt that she could see right through me and into my future. She ran back into her age group and nodded her head at me in gratitude.
“Ladies and gents, we have a volunteer. Please come up onto the stage,” Paul said with a giddy smile on his face. I took my steps to the glowing red and gold stage with great calmness. I was calm enough to turn heads as I walked to the stage. I made it to the steps and walked up them. “Come on sweetheart. We don’t have all day.” I took the final steps onto the stage and grabbed Paul’s hand. He pulled me to the microphone and looked at the crowd. “Why don’t you tell us your name?”
“Dia. Dia Stone,” I said.
“And if you don’t mind me asking, why did you volunteer?” he asked. I knew what the answer was, but I couldn’t say I had been training my whole life for this; I would be arrested and thrown in jail. So I said the next best thing.
“She’s only twelve. She has so much more to live for. More than I do. Which is why I have decided to take her place in the games,” I said.
“Well, that’s very nice of you,” he said as he smiled. I nodded my head in response and he walked towards the other ball. “And now, ladies and gentlemen, it is time to announce the male tribute for this year’s Hunger Games!” Paul shouted at the crowd. I held my breath as I watched him put his hand into the glass ball and pull out a slip of paper. He walked towards the stage and for the first time I realized how unconnected I was to everything around me. I realized how much some people actually appreciated me for what I had done for Clear. Some people were crying because I had spared a little girl’s life and helped live a few more years. No matter what happened, from this moment on, I wouldn’t take anyone from District 3 for granted.
“Charlie Tuck. You are the male tribute.” I watched as a fifteen year old boy walked towards the stage. Like me, he was a rich kid that got everything he wanted handed to him without any issue. Life had been perfect for us, but our perfection was shattered like a mirror in a tornado. Our easy life ended here and it wasn’t going to change.
We were swept into the Justice Building where the new tributes went before we boarded the train to the Capitol. I knew we weren’t that far away from the Capitol so the train ride would only take a couple hours. I had heard rumors about how glamorous the Capitol is. Flashing lights, eccentric people, outrageous costumes, and luxurious food. My thoughts were interrupted by the opening of the door to my waiting room. My father stepped in and hugged me. I began to cry, and as the tears dripped down my face he pulled away and wiped them from my face.
“You’ll be fine. All the training for this one day. You can shine the brightest and come back home victorious.” I wanted him to wrap his arms around me again, but the officers came in and took him away. He was only allowed thirty seconds and they were up. Paul came through the door with the most energetic smile on his face.
“Come on Stone. It’s time to fulfill your fate.” I followed him while he called for Charlie. I finally got my first look at Charlie and realized how handsome he looked. His dark hair matched his mind inducing brown eyes and with a perfect smile, he was the whole package. It’s too bad looks didn’t get you far in the arena. I mean sure they could get you sponsors and in return items that could be the difference between life and death in the arena, but the way Charlie was dressed; I have a feeling that he won’t be able to use his looks for popularity.
Once we stepped outside and into the bright sunlight, cameras flashed and people screamed. They were happy for us and they cheered us on to our death. It was certain that we weren’t coming home from this, but the people all looked so happy. I didn’t know how to feel at this particular moment so I just smiled and waved.
“You got the idea Stone. Give the crowd what they want. You earn fans that way.” He smiled at me. He made me feel uncomfortable, like all I would ever be was a pawn, a pawn in the games that only the Capitol could control.
As we boarded the train, I was greeted by the only healthy victor left in District Three. She had her blonde locks in a ponytail and her blue eyes were shining brightly.
“Hello and congrats. Welcome to the Hunger Games. I’ll be your guide and I will be here to help you in any way I can. As you probably know, my name is Christine. I won the Games four years ago, and I plan on helping one of you win it this year.”
“I’m Charlie Tuck.” He smiled at her and she looked deep into his eyes. It was as though she could read his every thought and see his every memory just by looking into his eyes.
She turned to me. “And you are?” she smiled and showed her bright white teeth. They were mesmerizing to me.
“Dia Stone. I’ve been training for this since I was little.” As I said these words, she frowned.
“You know pre game training is illegal. It could get you killed. I’m not saying I would tell anyone, but you need to learn to keep your mouth shut. Be smart and you’ll be rewarded. Now, let’s begin by looking at your fellow tributes. As always, we’ll start with District One. Now there tributes are always the best trained in all of Panem.” She turned on the hologram which portrayed a picture of two strong looking blondes. I wouldn’t judge them by their hair color or makeup that they both wore. They looked to be lethal weapons. “The male is Marvel, and the female is Glimmer. Don’t let the names fool you. They’ve probably been training for as long as they could walk, and could probably kill you within a matter of seconds if you gave them a chance.” I looked at Charlie. By the look on his face I could tell he was scared to death to even think about the arena, let alone the people inside of it.
“How do we get rid of the nervousness?” I asked. She turned and looked at me.
“By winning. Now before we go on to talk about the other tributes, I have to tell you this. Only one of you can come out of that arena. It’s up to you on who it is. I’ve seen and heard of games that the only people left were from both Districts. Having this makes it all the more harder to end the game.”
“Why couldn’t we just live in the arena until they decided to both let us win?” asked Charlie.
“Because then they’d find a way to kill one of us off by an incident caused by them. Or slowly die of natural causes,” I replied.
“Exactly. Dia’s right and it would be much easier to kill then to wait,” Christine said. “Now let’s move on with the tributes.” I watched the screen and waited for District Two to be displayed. The male’s name was Cato. His rugged look and jagged jaw line made him very attractive. He looked fierce and ready to jump out and kill both of us. His female partner was no different. She had her dark brown hair in a braid which made her freckles stand out.
As mine and Charlie’s faces appeared on the screen, Christine looked at me. “Do you mind me asking why you took that little girl’s place?”
“For that exact reason. She was only twelve and had so much more to live for than these games and the Capitol. I was better trained than she was and I needed to show that I could do something other than have everything handed to me back in Three. Life was too easy and I needed some strife in my life to make it more interesting.”
“And what about you? How do you feel about all of this?” she asked Charlie.
“Why don’t you tell me how I am supposed to feel? Happy, upset, scared? I have no idea. But all I know is that I need to win to go home to my family. They need me.” I stared at him
“And what? My family doesn’t need mine?” I asked.
“Well, think about it this way. Your family is rich. To be honest, they don’t need you. They have enough money to help all of District Three, but all they do is sit in that big house of yours and watch as the Capitol takes out the district that we call home. So, in reality, I deserve to go home more than you do.” I threw a punch at him and it landed square in his jaw. I watched as the blood leaked from his mouth. I screamed. I saw that my ring finger looked crooked. It was broken. This was almost the worst thing that could possibly happen to me before the games.
“Paul! Get the first aid kit!” screamed Christine. Paul rushed in and gave Charlie some tissues to wipe up the blood with while Christine wrapped my finger in a splint.
“What the hell happened here?” Paul asked.
“Dia got a little upset and punched her only teammate in the jaw. Is it dislocated?”
“No. Charlie should be fine, just a little blood. Dia I think you should go to bed. Get some rest before we reach the Capitol,” said Paul.
I walked over through the train cars until I found my bed. I fell onto it and let the covers wash over me. It felt great to have a place to sleep after the long day I had. My sleep brought out my true fears of the Hunger Games. I saw myself caked with the blood from another person who was lying in front of me. I waited to see tears fall from my face, but none did. All I saw was a smile of triumph. I was turned into a monster, a killing machine, and nothing was going to stop me. I slowly turned the body over and looked at it. Her blonde hair was streaked with blood and I could still see the fear in her eyes. It was Clear, the girl I had saved from the Reaping. I saw her eyes move towards the dense forest that lay in front of us. In the trees lay the bodies of my family. I couldn’t find the voice to scream but I watched as Clear got up and walked into the forest.

I awoke with a jolt from Christine. She had a smile on her face and was so giddy that her hands began to shake.
“We’re here. Fix your hair and let the Capitol get a good look at you.” I wiped the sleep from my eyes and looked at my pillow which was soaked with sweat. “Were you having a nightmare?” Christine asked.
“Yeah. Just nerves are all. Can’t seem to shake them. How did you get through all of this?” I asked.
“Just keep your head held high and don’t let anyone push you around. You can get through this. You have the face for it.” I didn’t know what she meant by that statement but I took her word for it.
I went to the bathroom and fixed my hair and put on a little lipstick for the crowd. If I was going to die, I wanted to look my best before everyone saw my blood splattered all over whatever surface we were going to be killing on.
The Capitol was just as luxurious as people said. When Charlie and I stepped out, the crowd cheered for us. I gave them a bright smile and wave. I was known as the girl who saved a twelve year old. I had stirred drama and the people here loved it. Charlie looked to awestruck to say anything. His eyes bulged out of his head the moment he saw the hotel we were going to be staying at. I guess I was too, but not as much as him. He had lived in poverty all his life and wasn’t used to all the finer things in life.
We walked through the doors and into the main lobby and saw Cato and Clove. They glared at us like we had just murdered their whole family. We were dead to them already. Cato whispered something into Clove’s ear and she laughed.
“Don’t pay attention to them,” Christine said “You guys should have nothing to worry about.” I really wanted to believe that, but one look at Cato and Clove totally changed my mind. Charlie and I didn’t stand a chance.

First we met with our stylists who were more eccentric than most of the Capitol. She designed mine and Charlie’s costumes for the Tribute Parade. This was the first time Panem would see us all together before we entered the arena. We had to make a good impression on everyone so we could get sponsors, and hopefully they would buy us items that we could use in the arena. The costumes this year were very revealing. All they did was wrap our naked bodies in a silver mesh. The costumes were supposed to match your District, so in if you were from Three you were supposed to look like some sort of technology. I guess nothing says technology like naked people wrapped in silver mesh.
We boarded the black carriages which were pulled by black horses. I watched the doors open up into the town square where everyone from the Capitol was waiting. First out was District One. Their District represents luxury so their stylist decided to dress them up in pink feathers with elegant crowns on top of their heads. The crowd cheers as Glimmer and Marvel wave and smile.
Next is District Two which specializes in masonry. Their citizens are known for their brute strength and powerful leaders. Most of the Victors come from District Three, and their stylist even thinks that Clove and Cato have it won already by placing mock victor crowns on their heads. The golden crowns go well with the armor that they both have on that makes them look indestructible.
I look at Charlie with a worried face. How would we compete with that? Our horses pull us out of the garage and into the brightness of the town square. The crowd cheers as they get their first glance of us. By the looks on people’s faces, Charlie and I look stunning and daring with the little clothes that we have on. One by one each carriage brings out the two tributes, but the crowd especially loves one District more than the others. District Twelve. As they pull up to a stop behind Charlie and me, I take a good look at them. They both look strong and sturdy. They could be great competition for everyone in the arena.
President Snow gives us his welcome speech and the carriages retreat into the training center. As we get off, Christine comes up to us.
“You guys looked amazing out there. Good job.” She said.
“Thanks,” said Charlie.
“Who are those two?” I asked as I pointed to the two from Twelve.
“Katniss and Peeta. They’re from District Twelve. Katniss is a volunteer for her younger sister. She has guts and so does the boy. Don’t underestimate them just because they’re from Twelve. I have a feeling that they will be a tough duo to kill.” We stared at them for what seemed to be forever until I saw Katniss turn around and smile at us.
“Why did she smile at us?” I asked.
“A pre-game alliance possibly? I would do whatever it takes to get on their good sides. The more friends you have in the arena the better. And besides, they could help you survive.”
We walked to the elevator and up to our room to get ready for training. Training was the only chance we got to show off our skills before the games began. The trick was to not show off to much so that you became predictable and people could bring out your weaknesses. It was a necessity, but a dangerous one.
I walked into my bedroom and found lying on my bed, a black and red jumpsuit. It was tight around my body and really felt like I could run at one hundred miles an hour. I put my hair into a ponytail and looked in the mirror. I was ready for whatever would happen and I knew what I had to do. I had to try to talk to Katniss and Peeta and get them to work with me and Charlie. I didn’t know what she was going to say or how she was going to react, but I had to take the chance.
I met Charlie at the elevator and we stepped in together.
“I’m sorry for punching you the other day. I was just angry for what you said.”
“No. I should be the one apologizing for what I said. I had no right to say what I did. You have all the right to go back to Three as much as I do.” The thing I did next took us both by surprise. I slowly hugged him. I felt the shock run through him, but he still wrapped his arms around my body.
“I promise to try and keep you safe,” I whispered.
“I will too,” he whispered back. Just as he said that the elevator doors opened back up.
“Did we make up?” asked Christine. We both quickly separated from each other. “It’s cool. Just as long as this doesn’t happen in the arena.” Christine led us into the training center. It was huge and had a very high ceiling with ropes and nets hanging from it. I saw the weapons and the survival stations. It was all like back at Three. The center that my dad had built me wasn’t as big as this, but it was close.
I watched as Charlie walked over to a station where you learned how to stop bombs. I remember hearing him talking to Christine about him knowing how to detonate bombs. I thought that this skill was quite interesting and could come in great help inside the arena. For me, my strength was the machete. I don’t know why, but I always seem more graceful with it in my hand. I started to walk over to the machetes when someone came up behind me.
“You look powerful.” I turned around and saw Cato walking behind me.
“Excuse me?” I asked.
“You look powerful, and dangerous. Clove and I were talking about you the other day. You don’t deserve that other kid. All he’ll do is hold you back. So join us. We’re the ones that will keep you safe.” His offer was very tempting. I knew that I should talk to Katniss and Peeta before I took up on offers, but I wasn’t going to pass up on an offer from the two most powerful tributes here.
“Okay. I’ll join you guys, but only if you guys take Charlie too.” I stared at him and smiled.
“Fine, but if he screws up, you’ll be punished with him. And we won’t take it lightly. We come here to win and you guys can’t hold back.”
“I understand.” I said.
“Good. Now what are you good at besides the machete?” he asked.
“I know how to survive in the wilderness and find food and water. I can heal.” He nodded his head in approval.
“Alright, you got yourself a deal.” He put out his hand and I shook it. I knew Christine would tell me not to trust these people, but I couldn’t help it.
Training went on as it should have. I got around to most of the stations and brushed up on things that I had forgotten. I had found out that Charlie had already talked to Katniss and that she seemed like a real threat in the games. She wanted someone that she could rely on in the games because she and Peeta were starting to grow apart. I agreed to his alliance with Katniss and Peeta and decided not to tell him about the alliance I had made with Cato. What I was doing was risky, but I was trying to win and if I had to backstab a few people along the way, that would be okay.
Dinner was awkward and silent. We all knew that after the rankings we would be sent into the arena and most likely never come out.
“Are you guys ready for the gamemakers to critique you?” asked Christine.
“I am,” I answered.
“Same here,” replied Charlie.
“Good. Just remember to show off what you do best and let them see that,” she said. The rest of dinner was silent. The only talk that came was over the loudspeaker telling us that it was our turn to show off what we had. Charlie and I walked down to the training center and sat in the waiting room. They called my name first. The double doors opened and I stepped in.
“State your name and District.”
“Dia Stone and Three.”
“Begin.”
I picked up the machete and six dummies appeared from all directions. I started to fight all of them which was hard considering that they moved. I killed all of them within forty five seconds. This earned me some claps. Next I walked over to the healing center and they gave me many scenarios which I did perfectly. After that I thanked them for watching and stepped out.
I waited for Charlie on the bench with my knees shaking. I was nervous for the both of us. These ranks pretty much set up the rest of the game for us. He walked out and didn’t even acknowledge me. I chased after him and finally caught up to him in the elevator.
“What was that all about?” I asked.
“I screwed up. I choked out there. They laughed at me and all I did was stand there.” All I could do was look at him. We got into our room and the ranks were already happening.
You are ranked on a scale of three to twelve. The higher the number the better. As I saw Charlie’s face appear on screen, I grabbed his hand. He earned a four. Christine stared at him.
“You’re screwed. I can’t work with that. There’s no way I can get you sponsors with that number.” I listened to the announcer say my name. I closed my eyes and heard him say the number nine. I smiled and Charlie hugged me. “That’s a number I can work with. Good job,” said Christine.
After the rankings were finished, I went straight to bed. I needed a good sleep before tomorrow. I didn’t dream that night. All I could think about was hearing the trumpets play and the announcer saying that I had won.

Morning came quick and easy. I got out of bed and was ushered into the elevator by Christine and Paul. Charlie wasn’t that far behind us. The elevator door closed and we took the trip down to the lobby. We said our goodbyes and Charlie and I boarded the hovercraft that would bring us underneath the arena.
The hovercraft ride was long. They had people coming around and injecting our trackers in our arms. It hurt a lot, but it was needed. These told the gamemakers if we were still alive.
The craft landed and we stepped out and were all transported to our respective areas. I put on the jacket and sat on the chair. I didn’t have the jitters anymore, but I felt like I had a real chance to win. I stepped into the glass tube that would push me into the arena. As I stepped in, the glass shut and the countdown began. I closed my eyes and said what I was going to do. Run to the cornucopia and grab all the supplies I could, then head to the forest to hide. The tube started to rise and I felt my stomach come up into my throat. The sunlight burned my eyes as I reached the surface. I saw the sixty second countdown above the cornucopia. The seconds ticked down until I heard the gong sound. The next five minutes happened in a blur. All I remember is running and lots of blood and screaming.
I got a big backpack filled with bread and cheese. I got an axe and some rope with a sleeping bag. I could easily start a fire, but I needed to get far enough away from the center. I found a small pond where I could get drinking water form. I filled up my canteen with the cold water, but I felt a presence behind me. I turned and saw Clove cowering over me.
“It’s Dia right?” she asked.
“Yeah, what’s it to you?” I asked.
“You really don’t want to take that attitude with me ,” she said.
“What are you going to do about it?” She pounced on me and dug her nails into my neck. I reached for my knife and cut her left wrist. She screamed in pain and pushed my head underwater. I jabbed her in the arm multiple times, but nothing seemed to stop her. I felt the water fill my lungs and watched my body go limp as my soul left this cruel and unfair world. I placed eleventh out of twenty four, and left my only teammate in there to fend for himself.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.