Queen of the People | Teen Ink

Queen of the People

July 11, 2012
By Tesla BRONZE, Inglewood, California
More by this author
Tesla BRONZE, Inglewood, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
It isn't a dream if it comes true - Fullmetal Alchemist


When I was a girl, my mother told me stories about things called humans. She told me about how humans are difficult creatures who do stupid and foolish things. She always said that our race was higher then humans because we can control our emotions and we have powers that they don't. That was a long time ago and I am not a little girl anymore. My mother was the queen of our race and she ran our nation with pride and order. I never knew my father and I grew up to hate him. It wasn't my mother's fault, I just grew up hating him because he was never there in my life for me. But my mother, she loved him with everything she had.

I grew up in a castle on a hilltop overlooking our city. The castle was a deep shade of red with black shingles blue windows. It was protected by a off white gate pricked with pointed poles and squeaky hinges that cried out when the guards opened them. We had guards at every post and corner switching potions and shifts every hour to keep things safe and orderly for my mother and I. The guards of my family wore the finest clothing equipped with a standard sword, holding knives and other tidbits of weaponry that was given to them while they were training for this job.

The inside of my house is rather lavish and over exaggerating in wealth. The wallpaper was a light pink with a diamond pattern etched into the walls with red and yellow weaving through it. Every door was brown with lace trimming and silver doorknobs. The entry way was brightly lit from the light of the chandler that was placed high above. We had a grand staircase that split part way so you could go to either section of the house. Each room was different as well. Some were empty and others where used for whatever my mother said it would be used for.

My room was a shade of black that was neither light nor dark. I had a large bed that was duel colored with green and red sheets and a giant black quilt complete with over sized pure white pillows. I had a giant window that overlooked the backyard that connected with the forest. It was a simple room and I was happy to have it. I had finished my rounds and paper work and went to my room to rest.
“My lady, you have a guest. Shall I send him in?” My butler,Michael, knocked on my double door opening only one side to reveal my childhood friend and nightmare. “Yo Nire! Long time buddy!”
“Roy. Of all times to come and see me, you chose now. Hello, I guess.” “Ha ha is that how you greet me?After all these years! I'm hurt.” Roy Satokimi, he was one of the hired help when I was little but after a few encounters and unfortunate pranks that went wrong, we became closer then anything and he has been with me ever since.

“Roy, you know I have a very important meeting tonight with the council, I'm very tired and would like to rest. Did you need anything?” I walked over to my bed and sprawled my body over the comfortable mattress. Roy walked over to me and laid down. I can smell the light fragrance of honey blossoms with a tinge of wet wood from his job in the city. “That's why I came. Did you hear? Every one at this meeting is bringing a guest. I heard from Louis down at the shop that the councilmen are also throwing a ball at the end. Are you staying for that?” “I wasn't planning on staying for the ball but it would be good for me to stay and meet with some of the commoners of my nation. Would you like to come with me Roy?” His smile went from large to gigantic at the offer. His dark purple hair rested on my pillow. Roy was always a good friend of mine and he was very protective of me with any and everything I did. It felt nice to have him around.

“Nire! Wake up it's almost time to go.” Roy called out to me. I didn't know I went to sleep with him still next to me. “Hmm did you go to sleep to?I didn't realize you were still here. I need to get dressed!” Roy blushed and walked out yawing. I got up and put on my mothers formal dress. It was a simple dress but it was beaded with blue jewels from the mountains of Mato. And it was a pale yellow dress that went low to my ankles but had a high split up the side of my thigh. The collar of the dress hung loose around my neck. I wore black shoes with no heel so it would be easier to walk and my feet wouldn't get sore if I had to stand for long periods of time. I didn't wear a necklace but I did wear long earrings that were gold.

“You ready yet? God you take forever!” “Shut up Roy! I'm coming out now.” I paid my respects to my mother's picture and left my room. Micheal and Roy were there waiting for me to walk out of the house and get into the carriage. I can't say I'm found of rides but I take them when I have to. If anything I would rather take my dog, Hakoda. We all got into the carriage and Micheal headed into the direction of the councilmen house in the Long district of the city. I have only been here once or twice with my mother and when she died I never went back. Every other time we needed to have a council meeting the high priest and the others have to come to my house or I send Micheal to the meetings. “You look nice my lady. Remember to control your temper with these old men. I'll be out here when you want to go home. Good luck and have fun.” He bowed to me and I thanked him for driving us.

I took Roy's' arm and we gracefully walked into the hall. It was the city's national history mark and I was happy to know my mother built this before I was born. When the opening of the hall came into the view Roy tensed up and his posture became more of a serious one then his usual free-will and laid back one. “Roy, you don't have to be so tense. Take it easy.” I coaxed him the best that I could but it didn't work as much as I would have hoped. We walked into the the grand room which smelled of meat and wine. It seemed like the whole city of Snamuh was there. “Welcome Lady Nire!” “Hello Akame Suji. The party is going so well.” It was princess Akame Suji from the North. Her father has been bedridden for quite sometime now and she has to take over. “ Yes it is. Who is this that you brought with you?He's handsome!” Akame was shaking Roy's hand and attempting to flirt with him.

“Princess Akame, this is Roy Satokimi. He is a close friend of mine and I wanted to bring him along tonight.” “Hello Princess Suji. Nice to meet you.” He bowed and gently shook her hand. In my head I rolled my eyes but I plastered on a fake smile so I wouldn't hurt the younger girl's feelings. “Please call me Akame! I hope to see you more often. Lady Nire, the other councilmen wish to see you.” She headed off in the general direction of the council room. Roy and I walked behind her. “I don't like the feeling I am getting from this place Nire. Everyone seems way to....happy. Something is going to happen.” I guess he was right. The atmosphere of the party was eerily happy. I didn't like how it felt either but I ignored it. “Well let's go and see the council. Then we can leave.”

We followed Akame up the stairs into the dinning room were we met the other two councilmen. Moku of the South land of Tirami. He was the oldest of us all and knew the most about all four nations. He was also the most stubborn. Then there was Koji of the East land of Hijo. He was a middle aged man and he was very wise and very nice. Akame was from the North land of Gohi and I am Nire of the West land of Jima. We met up every few years to discuss matters of our lands to keep things orderly and to prevent wars. “Hello Moku of the south and Koji of the East. I hope you are doing well.” I as polite to them all. I didn't want my rudeness or bad temper to start anything. “Hello Lady Nire of the West. I am fine.” Koji said to me in his monotone voice. He was a handsome man and was very fond of me when I was little. He used to give me candy and helped my mother with me whenever I was being a handful. “Lady Nire of the West. You are late and I would like to start the meeting. We have some very important things to talk about. Please sit and have your guest stand at your side. Everyone will do the same so we can begin.”

We sat down at the table and Moku began talking to us. “We have a major problem that I do not want the people of Jima to know about. I don't want anyone in any nation to know of this..” His raspy voice was booming with anger and concern. “What is the issue at hand Moku? Why are my people in danger?” I asked in a calm tone. “Humans. A few of them have been spotted on your land. I don't know how they got here but I do know that they can't get back. A team of my special officers noticed a strange energy wavelength come and go in no more then 30 seconds. They looked into it and found 8 unknown objects land in the forest outside of the city of Snamuh.” Everyone was shocked. Their faces were painted with terror as the news of humans traveled across their minds and registered as a disaster for my nation.

“I told you something was wrong Nire, I can feel it. Lord Moku, how do you suggest we handle this without the people of Snamuh finding out? Lady Nire can't just hide this forever. You forget why our nation is the superior! We can sense the presence of those that aren't our kind. As far as I am concerned humans are not one of us.” “That's enough Roy!I can handle this. I am queen now and I can figure out how to protect my people from humans. Now, if you will excuse me, I must go now and talk with some very important people.” I stood from the west end and walked out leaving the other three corners of the world in my wake. I admit I was very nervous and a bit angry with the fact that humans had not only entered my world but were on my land. I would be upset if they were on the north or some other land but this was my territory left to me by my mother. I felt as if I dishonored her.

Micheal was sitting in the carriage waiting for us. By the look on his face I could tell he knew what I was thinking. He knew how I felt and I hate to admit it, he probably knew about the humans already. “My lady. How was the meeting and the ball?” “It was fine Micheal. I just need to go home, change and clear my head. Roy are you going home or are you coming with me?” “You should all ready know that answer Nire. You know I wont ever leave you. Especially at a time like this with the news we just heard.” Roy whispered it to me so he wouldn't alarm Micheal. “I knew it. I have an offer for you Roy. How about we go on a little trip and visit some old friends.” I smiled and he knew what I meant. If I was going to protect my race from the humans then we needed to act fast and have enough power to protect the city. I needed to go visit the past.

It was late at night when we made our move. I knew that doing it at this time would be better. I woke up Roy and we both got dressed in a special outfit that was made for occasions like this. Our outfits were all black and skintight but breathable. We covered our faces so only our eyes were shown. We had weapons almost everywhere on our bodies. Roy had trained long and hard to become a special ops. He was trained in just about everything and he did it all so he would be able to protect me when the time came. I to was trained. My mother, who founded the special operations, trained me to be very self-dependent. Roy had special powers and chose to use his magic as his weapon of choice. I on the other hand also had magic powers and I had greatly honed those skills and was almost better than my mother. However, my weapon of choice were three swords in different sizes.

We snuck out the house and loaded our supplies on to my dog-demon, Hakoda. “Going somewhere, milady?” I froze at the sound of the stoic but soothing voice. I had no idea Micheal was up at this hour. I was caught off guard and didn't know how to react. “Micheal! W-what are you doing up in the middle of the night?” “I don't sleep often milady. I also knew you would be going on a long trip so I packed you a little something to hold you over until you get to a safe spot.” He smiled at me while handing me a colorful bag filled with food. It makes me wonder what kind of man Micheal really is. He was always so mysterious and kind. It was almost scary. “Roy, take care of milady and watch over her. We trained you well so I am trusting you.” I raised an eyebrow at what they were saying. “Yes sir!I will do my best.” Roy bowed before him and climbed onto Hakoda's back.

“Lady Nire, I raised you well. Please be careful and come back soon. Don't forget to practice daily and eat well. I will hold down the house until you get back milady. Have a nice trip.” “I will do my best Micheal. Goodbye.” I jumped onto Hakoda and he ran off into the forest at top speed. I know I chose to leave but the burning sensation that was going on behind my eyes was killing me. I don't ever cry but I couldn't believe I left. “Nire? You okay Picuyu?” “You haven't called me that in almost 10 years Kaikuyo. I'm fine, just a little upset.” Picuyu means 'little love' in our language. He used to call me that when I was young and in return he told me to call him 'Kaikuyo' which meant prince. It made me smile that he remembered to call me that.

We rode into the night on Hakoda only taking short stops to let the boys use the bathroom or to let Hakoda rest. “Nire want me to take over? You've been handling the reins for a while now. I'm pretty sure Hakoda knows where to go. Come up and eat.” “I'm fine Roy. I want to get there as fast as possible.” “Well sitting there on edge isn't helping you much. Come on and eat something.” I gave in to his constant badgering about my health and climbed into the saddle with a sigh. It was a beautiful night that almost seemed endless. We'd been riding for hours and it felt like I wasn't getting any closer to that house. I ate some rice and meat which did help me feel a bit better but I just couldn't shake the feeling that we were passing into dangerous territory.

“Roy. Have you noticed it yet?” “Yep. Those sneaky bastards won't last five minuets. Be on your guard. There are at least...7...10 people.” “Good. I need some exercise” Roy and I had noticed auras that were different than our own. 10 people were sent after us to see if we were spies. She really isn't letting anything get into her land. I pulled Hakoda's reins to make him stop running. Roy had hid in the darkness to wait for an opening to attack. I acted like I was tending to Hakoda and I was petting his large nose and he licked me. “You know you can come out. I thought Rizu would teach you how to hide that god awful sent of yours better.” I called out to whomever was out there. I waited until I was surrounded.

“Do not speak ill of our master! Who are you stranger and why have you come here to our land?” One of the masked strangers spoke in a high pitched voice. I was assuming she had to be no more then 15 or 16. Way to young to be trained in the way of killing. “I am no one to you. Lead me to your so called master!” “Never!” One of the bigger strangers leaped at me holding his sword. I easily dodged it and hit him in his lower stomach with my fist. “Leon!” The girl screeched and lunged towords me. “Nire duck!” I bent down and Roy shot an isga over my head. As soon as the energy beam went over I kicked one of the 10 strangers. Roy came to back me up but was put in a headlock. “Roy!” “Don't worry! I got this you handle the other ones!” I didn't want to listen but I had no choice because two of the strangers attacked me. One grabbed my hands as if he was trying to hold me down and the other tried to cut my legs. Before the other one could cut me I did a high V shaped kick and wrapped my legs around his neck. I used his body as a boost to flip the first attacker over my head to get him off of me.

I had taken down 3 of the 10 strangers when suddenly one of them shouted “Enough! Master will want to hear about these two people. Lets move out!” “Wait! Take us to your master!” Before I could get a good yell out they had all disappeared. “Nire forget about it. We can still follow them if you want. One of the strangers held on to both of us for a pretty long time, if I let Hakoda sniff me do you think he could get the sent of those guys and follow that?” I hadn't thought about that but I think it could have worked. Roy and I stood in front of Hakoda and he breathed in our sent. It sent him on a wild rampage and he was eager to get to where ever that sent was.

We immediately hopped on to the back of my dog demon and he dashed into the woods. It was almost day-break and I could smell the dew on the trees and leaves. We approached an open area that had one enormous wooded house surrounded by four wooden pillars each marked with a symbol in my native language. The left front pillar said “Power.”, the left back one said “Tiger” the back one on the right said “Water” and the right one said “Shark.” I looked at them all and I couldn't understand what they all meant. We got off of Hakoda who was itching to attack someone. I told him to go hunt and I would call if we needed to get away. “Roy, what do you suppose Water Shark Power Tiger mean?I don't understand it.” “I dunno Nire. But I do know that I don't like this place. It gives me the chills.” Roy was right, being here made me feel weird to.

“Well, well, well. If it isn't Lady Nire of the land of Jima!” A medium height lady walked out of the house. She had fiery red hair and her bangs covered half of her right eye. She had 3 stray strands of hair that draped over her head like a waterfall. She had a tattoo on her right arm that read demon in Snamuhian. She smiled an evil grin that went from ear to ear and showing all of her canine teeth. She was a hot-headed, bad-mouthed, loud and rowdy, evil little imp child and I absolutely loathed her.

“What brings you here Nire? You came all the way down from Mount High to visit me!” I swallowed my pride and spoke to her in a meek voice. “I came all this way looking for you Rizuin. I need your help. I am begging you. Please help me sister.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.