Question Marked | Teen Ink

Question Marked

By MckennaAnne, Arlington, Washington
MckennaAnne, Arlington, Washington

"It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." -Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Author's note: when i first started writing this, it was more about the romance, but it somehow turned into this action/suspense/mystery thing. I really hope you enjoy it! :D

The rough interior of the freshly cut wood rubbed my back raw, a mild burning that I found comforting and helpful; it kept me from entering the blissful space in my mind where daydreams mist up like evaporating water and capture me like an empty promise. I will not allow myself the pleasure of entering such a realm that held so much. The musty smell of sweat filled my nose and coated my tongue like a filmy paste that I couldn’t spat out. But after only small consideration, I realized this is nothing compared to what will happen next. My actions were unforgivable. This will be my way of paying back what I had stolen. With or without me, in the end everything will work out for the better.

And yet…

As I open my eyes I had to swallow my anxiety of seeing my bare body trapped in a dark homemade wooden casket. I clench my fists even tighter by my sides, my nails lightly digging into my palm reminding me again that this is indeed, reality. I am not afraid of my outcome. But I would be lying if I said that I wasn’t nervous for the future of my people. What I am doing will be a mercy to them all. Until the future finds them.

I hear twigs snapping outside underfoot by the muscled men that carry me. By the sounds of their soft footfalls, I would guess there on three on either side of the box. The men say not a word. I really wish they would; the heavy silence seemed to be more suffocating than the small enclosed place I temporarily inhabited. Even a random comment about the weather would’ve been nice. But, I guess I can’t have everything.

Finally after what seemed like years of the steady swing of the men walking; they stopped. Without even opening my eyes I knew that there was an audience of adults circled around me. I lay there counting my shallow breaths. The coffin was soon jostled as the men lifted me off their shoulders and placed me on the pine needled ground. I’m sure they didn’t mean to land me so hard, but even so, it still managed to rattle every bone in my body and vibrate my brain. Or maybe it was my imagination going crazy.

The shuffling of their footsteps made it clear that they departed into the crowd. Becoming one with the unsettled. I tried to picture the faces that were looking down on this ordinary wooden coffin, tried to imagine what they were all thinking. Were they pleased? Nervous? Did they fear they’re future as much as I did? Or perhaps they were sad, wishing to be back in their comfortable warm homes with their families, asleep in bed, dreaming of better days. I wonder if they would miss me. Is there anything about me worth missing? Should I have lived my life differently? Protected them better? Did they all hate me now?

I closed my eyes, hushing my brain. It was true that I wished for noise, but not this kind. If I let my brain keep going, I’m sure I’d go insane.

My irritated skin started to itch and I concentrated on the sensation. Maybe it was because of the itchiness that helped me through the next long moments of silence the crowd persisted to make. It took my whole attention not to itch, that it made my whole reality come to a halt in my mind. For now.

After my irritated skin no longer sidetracked me, I turned to counting my breaths. Breathe in, breathe out. One. Breathe in, breathe out. Two. After 348 breaths, the crowd began to murmur. She is approaching. I felt so ashamed I couldn’t even think her name. So this is it. I think to myself, the time has come.

I hear more shuffling. The crowd is parting for her.

Silence.

Straining my ears, I hear her slow approach. She did not hurry, but she also didn’t walk in a way like she was taking a relaxing stroll either. She walked with forced purpose. And that made me sad. She continued, coming closer and closer each second. I held my breath for no reason. I had to do something, anything to keep my mind blank. Make it so that I wouldn’t shout out to her. Everything that needed to be said was said awhile ago. Now I need to leave. Too soon, she was standing where my head lay uselessly. Her presence sure did help, for the most part. I regret deeply what she has to do next, but she is the only one. She will be strong.

She sucked in a breath.

Then she started to hum. At first it was soft, barely auditable. It resembled a whisper or a soft prayer… it was beautiful. In the past, I always admired her voice. Even when she wasn’t singing, it seemed to always ring like delicate bells. The song she was humming was sad, a goodbye.

She paused.

I sucked in a breath.

The audience did the same.

And she then hummed.

A different tune than before.

I stifled a scream.

My whole body tensed up, my fists clenching so hard I’m sure it’d break metal. I bit my lip, holding in my horrific scream that was begging to rip through me. It was not her voice that brought me so much pain, but her melody. She paused then continued the haunting hum that tortured me so. My feet curled involuntarily, more sweat pored from my face and my lip was freely bleeding from my teeth. This incredible pain felt as if every bone in my body was breaking over and over again; the sharp ends stabbing and slicing my organs and muscles.

The humming intensified; this time the crowd joining in. the extra voices did nothing to help ease the pain. In fact, it did the opposite. While my insides felt like soufflé, my outside skin feels as if it is being slowly burned off, starting with my toes slowly working its way up. I wanted to scratch frantically at the lid, scream for them to stop, beg for death, but I did nothing. I already accepted this.

My spine curled upward with agony that was granted upon me. I could feel my blood vessels popping, rupturing inside me, my lungs burning from lack of air as I tried to fruitlessly gasp at the hot and humid air that now resembles thick sludge; suffocating me. The severe burning had now reached my belly button. I bit my lip harder until my teeth connected with each other on either side. With a sudden jolt of surprise I just realized what happened; I bit through my lip. But even the pain of that hadn’t registered to my brain.

I was shaking; my whole body was having a seizure, thunking against the wood. The beastly fire that I could not see rose higher to the middle of my stomach, then marched higher to my neck. I could feel blood pouring down my chin and pooling in my mouth from my open lip. I did my best to spat it out, only to have it refill almost immediately. The scorching had now reached my drenched chin. With my gag reflexes working over time, I knew I had to throw up. I open my mouth hopelessly to do so, knowing that I’d probably die from choking on my vomit, but I would take any form of death at this point… make it all stop…

But what came out of me stunned me so much, I became still. The outside humming vanished, as did my pain. Silence inside and out. Not even my heart dared a sound. Maybe I was already dead… What came out of my mouth was a bright white glow in the form of smoke. It blinded me, the radiance glowed the whole coffin, showing my perfectly ordinary, unharmed body. When it reached the wooden lid, it disappeared through it. I couldn’t help but gape. I was so captivated by it I couldn’t even wonder what it was, even though I had a dim idea. The last of the glow escaped me, leave with a soft sigh, another whisper of goodbye. I close my eyes. Preparing myself for the after. What ever that is. But before I left, his face flashed through my mind for a brief moment, then settled into the dark abyss of my locked memories.

Please, don’t give up on me, my love, I will free us. Just you wait, I will come back, and nothing will stop our love. Nothing.

If people were to ask me what death felt like, I’d tell them that it felt light. Almost like flying. But even lighter then that. You’re the air itself that wanders and weaves through things that no one can see. Then I’d tell them how free I felt. How being so light, made me feel so free. I am so light… lighter than air…

Lighter

Than

Air

I’m not good with P.E. All throughout grade school and middle school, I always admired the ones who were athletic. It’s so easy for them to play sports and actually think about winning, instead of concentrating on not getting hit in the face by the ball; which tends to happen to me quite frequently. Maybe it’s my karma that always places me in P.E classes with the best athletes. So when I hear “Watch out!” I knew it was aimed at me. Story of my life.

I’ve never been b**** slapped before either. But as the ball hit my right cheek with deadly force, whipping my head around, I think I had a fairly good idea of how it would feel.

“Oww…” I muttered, suddenly dizzy. I can hear a group nearby, laughing.

“Hey you,” came a quivering voice that was trying with all his might to hold back his guffaws. “Can you hand me back my ball?” I turned my head slowly to the voice, holding back my wince when my neck gave a shout of pain. It was Sky Malcolm, the heartthrob of every girl in Bainbridge High School. I scowled at him and threw him back his damn soccer ball as hard as I could, hoping it’ll hit him. It didn’t; he dodged. I hate athletes.

“Nice shot asshole!” I shouted to him as he went back to his group of giggling friends. Without looking back, he waved my insult away as if it were an annoying fly.
I think I’ve mentioned before how I have bad karma. This is living proof as Coach Murfey came over to where I was dizzily standing to lecture me about my language. Of course he heard me; he doesn’t like me because of my suckish P.E. skills, so I just made his day for giving him a reason to pick on me, even though it’s never stopped him before. Murfey has a thick mustache and bald head that somehow always manages to shine even when it’s not under florescent light, and watery brown eyes.

I pretended to listen to his useless babble for five minutes straight then asked to go to the nurse. He rolled his eyes and dismissed me with a wave of his hand, only because I guess I really looked sick.

While I walked to the nurse I allowed my brain to roam and think about things I had no answers to.

The dreams started when I turned seventeen, six months ago. It was always the same dream: Me, surrounded by pine trees, fog rising from the soggy ground threatening to engulf me, and the heart wrenching feeling of not being alone. I didn’t think much of it at first. In fact, when I woke up in the morning I barely remembered it. It wasn’t until I started to have it every night did I start to realize the vast weirdness of it. The dream itself seemed harmless enough, but somehow made a huge impression on me. I always woke up drenched in sweat and clutching my sheets. It got to the point that I didn’t want to go to bed at night. Being awake seemed like a type of freedom… until a couple weeks ago. I was sitting with my best friends Helga and Joedine at lunch; I was about to scoop up another forkful of macaroni salad when I had an odd sensation of falling backwards… into those same woods where I always seem to visit. Then I blinked and was back in the cafeteria. No one noticed a thing, but then again they weren’t paying attention either. Of that I was grateful. How was I supposed to explain to them what I couldn’t even explain to myself? And then the one I had during PE, it was completely different… My train of thought trailed off as I thought about the smell of wood that smothered me, the horrible torture that went on behind the closed lid... The feeling of being trapped...

I swallowed, resisting the urge to hurl. Just find the nurse. Forget about everything else. Nurse, nurse. It was easier said than done, as I walked drunkenly to the nurse’s office. My mind would not shut up. I’ve known this nurse sense I was little, she was my grandma’s best friend and even babysat me. I talk to her about everything. She’s probably the only one that I can confide this type of craziness with.

By the time I was in front of the nurse’s door that read: Please Enter Anytime, I was near hysteria. I had convinced myself that I was going crazy and that I may have fractured my neck from P.E. Tears welled up thinking about humiliating neck braces I’d have to where and about my life in the loony bin. What if I’m so crazy that my mom isn’t aloud to visit? What if I’m put into a room with cushioned floor and walls? Without windows? What would I do if I couldn’t see the sun every morning? It would be hell! Like I’m locked in a box , suffocating! My mind came to a halt, remembering what I saw during P.E.

I opened the nurse’s door swiftly, nearly running over a guy with an obvious swollen nose.

“Now Kenney, I want to make sure that you hold that icepack to your nose to reduce the swelling until your mom gets here. I’m pretty sure it’s just a minor fraction with your cart ledge, but you can never be to sure. Go to the doctors immediately; you don’t want your nose to heal crookedly,” came the sweetly stern voice behind Kenney. He gave a look of terror at the thought of having a crooked nose on his flawless face and departed.

“Ah! Kally! Long time no see! How’s your asthma?” Mrs. Selve says cheerfully, seeing me in the doorway. I swallowed again, suddenly breaking out in a cold sweat, second guessing why I’m here. What if she agrees and thinks I’m crazy? Call my mom and send me to the doctors ASAP? I shook my head in a sudden jerk, clearing it. Mrs. Selve wouldn’t do that. She’s like my own personal counselor, she’d give me some advice then an ice pack for my neck. All will be well.

“Mrs. Selve,” I began bracingly, but was interrupted;

“You know, I used to see you every other day because your breathing got so bad. Now since you grew up, everything seems fine, which I’m very glad about indeed dear, but I just never see you anymore! Quite a shame really. But I knew it was gonna happen one day. I’m so glad I’m correct! But seriously sweetie, you had me more worried than Earl—God rest his soul—Who had an early dose of Alzheimer’s!” Mrs. Selve sighed sadly, remembering her long lost husband. We stayed quiet for about two more seconds then Mrs. Selve grinned widely saying, “I’m so sorry my dear, you must be hurt somewhere to land yourself in this place. Tell me, where is it?” She says brightly already heading toward the ice bin.

“Um, maybe my neck, but that’s only part of it--” I say, then stopped, taking in Mrs. Selve’s face. Her lightly curled white hair brushed her shoulders, her bright twinkling green eyes held kindness and the wrinkles budding out of the corners of her eyes and around her mouth. She was smiling at me, waiting for me to continue, but I couldn’t. It was like someone shoved super glue in my mouth, clogging my throat, and weighing down my tongue. I swallowed again and said, “Ice would be good.” Mrs. Selve’s smile slightly faltered catching that I was keeping something from her. She turned and scooped up ice into a Ziploc baggie and handed it to me. I pressed it gently to my neck.

“Y’know, I know you teenagers believe that us old people don’t understand jack-crap, but I’m sure you’d be surprised at how much we do understand. Maybe even better than you do,” Says Mrs. Selve gently, looking worried. Okay, I felt like s***. I’m looking at this old lady who obviously considers me as a part of her family, looking so vulnerable and filled with worry. I sighed and opened my mouth to try to explain my troubles and concerns when I had the most oddest sensation. Like I was falling sideways, my eyesight zoning out until all I could see was darkness, and I had the feeling of being rained on… it’s so cold… so chilled…

Ice cold raindrops splattered on my shoulders, my bare feet planted solidly on the mushy pine needled ground, the tall Fir trees veiling the grey sky that was promising more rain. Placing my hands on my hips, I tried to decipher what this odd feeling was circling around me.

His hands encaged me then, almost vanishing my train of thought. His strong arms fit beautifully around my waist, his chest snuggled gracefully against my back. My heart fluttered as he whispered in my ear, “What’s wrong?” I closed my eyes regretting that I had to break this wonderful moment with my negativity.

“There’s a storm coming.” I say trying to concentrate. The tip of his nose traced up and down my neck. “Mmmm.” He murmurs, obviously not caring. I forced my voice to sharpen, almost pleading with him to grasp the seriousness of this;

“And I’m not talking about the weather.”

“Kally? Kally?” A gentle voice was slowly pushing through my ears. The voice seemed muffled, like I was under water. I shook my head, trying to hear better. Was somebody grabbing my arms? Then without notice, my hearing came back to me with two loud pops and everything seemed to be in full volume.

Mrs. Selve was slightly shaking my arms, her light wrinkles seemed more defined with worry and she was frantically trying to get my attention by sternly calling my name. I looked around me, vaguely expecting to see a wet forest, but with I sigh of relief, I realized I was back in the nurse’s office. I felt my body relax, then tense again as I felt the familiar urge to throw up. Without a word I pulled away from Mrs. Selve and nearly ran to the garbage can and yakked up my eggs and toast I had for breakfast. Even when all the food in my body appeared in the garbage can, my body wasn’t done embarrassing me as it continued to fruitlessly gag me, hoping to find more food in my system. It came away disappointed.

I didn’t realize someone was behind me holding up my hair until I suddenly shifted up and bonked them with the back of my head.

“Oh I’m sorry.” I tried to say. My throat was raw and burning and my voice came out muffled and sand papery.

“It’s alright dear. Do you feel better now?” came Mrs. Selve’s kind voice. I nodded only to put her at ease, but in reality I seemed more sick in the head than before. Images of my last vision minutes ago seemed to replay over and over in my head, weighing me down with confusion and fear. I viscously rubbed at my arms, convinced that there were still cold rain drops planted firmly on them.

“Honey, I’m going to call your Mother. Sit tight.” Mrs. Selve says while ushering me to a plush waiting seat. I wanted to protest, but not trusting to open my mouth, I sat silently. I wanted to curl up in a ball and disappear, or at least pretend that it wasn’t me that made such the ruckus. But of course, I couldn’t.

I heard a small snicker in front of me. I risked a glance up only to regret it. We have a pretty nice dance club here. Only because the captain is as hard as steal and sharp as a dagger. She’s perfectly tan with a beautifully fit body and wavy blonde hair pulled up loosely in a high bun. And she’s popular; the queen that everyone fancies but to scared to get near. You’d be stupid if you really wanted to catch her attention. Her name is Bethany Ryes.

And she was staring at me.

Laughing.

I can already see in her eyes that she was going to spread my little mishap to everyone in school, and probably make it a bigger deal than it originally was. Dancing and spreading rumors were her two favorite things to do in the world. And she excelled in both of them. I knew immediately that whatever Bethany was going to spread about me, people will automatically believe. They sucked on her every word like candy, and without her daily dose of gossip, I’m sure everyone would be in some form of withdrawal.

I ducked my head back down, my face burning, desperately wishing for my Mom to get here quickly and sweep me away from the newly found wasp nest I had stumbled upon. But I know that Monday is gonna sting far worse than today.

Bethany claimed she sprained her ankle, but after a minute of Mrs. Selve examining it, she dismissed the possibility with a “Your free to go back to class now.” I’m sure that the whole reason Bethany came here was to fake an injury and raise up sympathy for herself since no good gossip has sprung lately. But seince she witnessed such a wonderful opportunity to ruin someone else’s life, she gave in with a mere shrug, thanked Mrs. Selve and retreated back to her classroom. Ten minutes later my Mom’s disheveled brown hair and work suit swept into the cold nurse’s room, and quickly shared a short conversation with Mrs. Selve, then turned to me. Her dark brown eyes looked like they were holding back a shadow and her face resembled a pale prune, pinched with worry and extra never-before-seen wrinkles. Something’s wrong, I concluded.

Realizing that I was reading her like a book, her face went back to normal and she smiled at me, showing the cheerful mask that was always on her face.

“What’s wrong Mom?” I say, trying to seem light hearted, silently urging her to please put me out of my misery and tell me.

Her smile faltered as she took me by the hand and whispered “We’ll talk later.” Which was a good idea since there was new onlookers that were eyeing me curiously. In the car, she announced that we were going to the doctors and my heart sank. When I was little, we always went to the doctors and hospitals because of my severe asthma. I’m compelled to say that I’m not too fond of them.

The car ride was silent.

I didn’t try to break it.

Nor did Mom.

When we got there, I was afraid to go in. Afraid of the outcome. My Mother seemed the same way, which was probably why I mustered up the courage to act first. I open up the car door and walked through the automatic sliding doors. Then after five minutes, they called my name. I got up, with my mom following pursuit.

The Doctor ran tests.

He asked me questions.

I gave him answers.

He did his part.

I sat still.

Much later, he diagnosed me with Epilepsy.

I had no reaction.

Somehow, I found it funny that my Mother was tumbling with words for the Doctor, asking for more information. Her mind was probably reeling with thoughts so powerful that it mentally knocked her down. I could see it on her face that she was breaking down, almost hysterical. And all I was doing was watching ESPN on the waiting room TV thinking about Sky Malcolm and how he dismissed me with a wave of his cocky hand, as if I were nothing better but smoke, and about Bethany Ryes and her open eyes set upon me like two bright spot lights that were sure to follow me all throughout my High School career. And the only sentence that was running through my mind was; Man, I seriously hate athletes.

“Milk. Whole grain bread. Pepper jack cheese. Mayo. Pringles chips. Smoked turkey slices. Lettuce.” I muttered to myself as I walked down the darkened sidewalk. I usually didn’t go out at night, but ever since my Mother and I found out I had epilepsy on Friday, she hasn’t let me out of her sight since. It was now Saturday and I felt totally cramped. Being holed up by my Mother’s side sure took a toll on my dignity, which is why I took it upon myself to do my Mom’s last minute grocery shopping. Alone.

Tucking the grocery list in my back pocket I flung my arms out to my sides and openly took a deep gulp of air, tasting the familiar taste of car exhaust. And I loved it. I loved how alone I was. I loved how free I felt. I loved how I could move around abruptly and not worry about stepping on my Mother’s feet. And most of all, I loved how quiet it is; my Mom’s constant jibber jabber has never failed to set me in a bad mood and a pounding headache, which always made me envy the deaf.

Once inside the little store I grabbed the items I needed quick enough and even got myself a SoBe. I dillydallied up and down the isles as long as I dared, not wanting to head back to my own personal cage of doom that I call home. I’m not sure my ears could handle another rambling session from my Mom about celebrity gossip. Seriously, who really cares? Sometimes I think that my Mother should be Bethany’s parent; they both equaling like spreading the news of useless crap.

I mentally groaned, totally forgetting about my little Bethany accident, until now. Maybe I should just switch schools? I stewed on that thought while I wandered my way up to the cashier, slightly swinging my basket as I went. Then after a light conversation about the buy-one-get-one-half-off deal on cereals, I made my way to the door.

There was no breeze when I went outside. No sign of movement from anything, not even the stray cats that liked to linger near the garbage cans across the street. I’m not sure why I was suddenly dwelling on every possible detail of the outside world, but for some reason all I could think about is how dark it got. And how weird I felt standing here alone in front of some shabby grocery store. But that wasn’t it. There was something more here that I was overlooking.

I mentally pounded myself into reality. It’s just a regular street. With regular things inhabiting amongst the same Earth that you have lived on for 17 years. Don’t over think things Kally. I stopped and nearly pounded myself again. Only crazies talk to their invisible selves living in their brains. And without realizing it, I had turned and started my march up the street to my house. If I speed walk I’d probably be there in ten or fifteen minutes.

That thought made me perk up as my feet found a rhythm and my arms started to swing with the tune. I was so jolly in fact that I was close to whistling when I felt a cold breeze silently creep up my shirt, reminding me of a slithering snake. I jumped to the side and swiftly turned around, frantically patting the bottom of my back, all the while scanning the darkness round me, trying to make out anything irregular. But the street lights didn’t help much with my search, their dull beams only forming what looked like large cones to the pavement. I slowly backed up, keeping my hand glued to where I felt the cool breath of wind, trying fruitlessly to rub away the goose bumps. But I found nothing which was almost worse.

I let out a shaky breath and proceeded to back up until I was 100% sure that there was nothing fishy going on behind my back. I stopped and rolled my eyes at myself. You’re so paranoid Kally It’s almost comical. I think to myself, making this all a joke. What do you expect to be behind you? But even I couldn’t answer that question. So I turned back around and continued my way home. I pretended not to notice how much quicker my step was as I passed building after building. To keep my mind off things, I decided to count each one. It wasn’t until I was passing a deserted old Motel did I finally realize that that cold draft was. It was the feeling of having someone watching me. It was the feeling of being watched.

I slowly turned in a circle, my eyes wide, not wanting to miss anything. When I ended right back where I was facing the first time, I stayed still. I wanted to move, to run and scream and fling my arms in the air and yell for help, but for some reason I didn’t. I couldn’t explain why I stayed still. Why I waited. Maybe it was because I trusted my instincts. Trusted the fact that I could beat the living crap outta any guy trying to kidnap me. Or maybe it was just because I felt safe underneath the streetlamp, like no one could pass through the cone of light that enveloped me. But whatever the reason, I persistently stayed still; and listened. While I listened I watched; without moving my head my eyes did summersaults in their sockets not wanting to stay still. Finally they landed on the gloomy grey brick wall that was parallel with the sidewalk. This Motel has been abandon for so long that moss was growing out of the bricks. The sight was totally disgusting but for some reason I took comfort at looking at the blank wall that was so close to me. It seemed so normal there. Like it had every right to be there even when nobody wanted it. I extended my arm and touched the forgotten wall.

And that was when I heard it.

The unmistakable sound of footsteps.

With each step the person took it seemed to ring off every building, ricocheting about like a never ending choir of bouncy balls. It baffled me that the stranger wasn’t even trying to be quiet about their pursuit. And that was when it hit me; this person wanted me to hear them; for whatever sick reason. But perhaps I’m wrong; maybe the stranger was just coming back home from late night grocery shopping as well. They were probably freaking out about me as much as I was freaking out about them.

I shook my head again in amazement at my stupidity. I’ve been watching to much TV. It’s time for me to have a reality check. But just as I thought that, my body moved without me telling it. I leaped forward in a run, almost a millisecond too late. It was because I suddenly heard the footsteps behind me cease as if no one was there. And I’m glad I did run as I heard an Earth shuddering Boom from behind me.

It shook the very ground I trampled on for a mere second, but that was enough to have me nearly pee myself. I didn’t dare let myself stop but couldn’t resist looking behind me at what caused such a sound. If having the Earth shake made me want to pee, then seeing the solid brick wall that I was touching just seconds before turned into rubble, made me want to downright s*** myself. I slowed down, but didn’t stop, my head still looking in the general direction of the commotion. Now that I was farther away I stopped and really looked at the wreckage. The long brick wall ran down the sidewalk, looking almost smooth and perfect from a distance. But nobody in their right minds would notice that as they would all probably be captivated at the sight of seeing a giant hole in the wall. But no one could possibly be as captivated as me, since I was standing right where the hole was, just heartbeats before it happened.

What the hell…? What happened? I ever so slightly trembled as I slowly took a step forward, toward the hole. A normal person would’ve been running as fast as they could away from the unknown, perhaps screaming ‘fire!’ along the way to catch attention. But I’m not normal or average. To be honest, I kind of wanted to act like Sherlock Holmes and be straight faced about everything, including weird incidents like this. I want to be strong.

I didn’t get far though. I found that my legs were shaking so badly, and my heart was pumping so loudly that I just couldn’t go any further. My body stopped responding to my brain. You’re such a pussy. I told my body and I urged it forward again, but to no avail. I squinted my eyes trying to overcome the darkness and tried to investigate from afar, all the while telling myself how ridiculous I was acting. I should just be a good little girl and go home to my Mommy.

I took a step backward intending to do so, when I saw something peculiar.

There was a person amongst the rubble.

Looking unhurt and unfazed.

The stranger was nothing more but a dark silhouette, coming out of the hole in the wall. Walking a brisk pace toward me with great certainty that told me something wasn’t right. And I needed to leave. Without hesitating, I turned and ran; and nearly landed on my face. But because I’m so used to falling (And quite good at it) I managed to only land on my butt, so I didn’t smash my face into concrete.

I’ve never actually been glad that I was this clumsy. In fact, I considered it a curse, but not anymore as a black blur flew in front of me and smashed another hole into the sad Motel. If I would’ve continued running, I’d be crushed through the wall. With a sudden jolt I realized that that’s what the person was aiming for. Crushing me to death. What a horrible why to die…

I felt like puking again as I leaped up from the ground and carefully ran over what tripped me in the first place—my grocery bags that I didn’t know I had dropped— but I wasn’t fast enough to not see the figure inside the gaping hole. It was so dark I couldn’t distinguish any description at all. All I knew was that this person wasn’t normal. Should I even call it a person? It’s incredibly fast, and strong enough to crush a solid brick wall with its body, and walk away from it uninjured. It wasn’t a person. It had to be a monster. A monster that wanted me dead obviously. I’ve never been this scared in my whole life Then why am I slowing down? Why am I not running? I Should run! Run! How come I’m not?

Behind the fear and anxiety, the panic and dread; I felt something else. Something slowly burning its way to the surface, a fire slowly melting ice. It rumbled through my very core, expanding to my brain cells. It grasped my eye sight, clutching my eyes until I saw nothing more but little spots decorating the night, my ears were filled with a deafening roar of endless ringing. I felt myself clutching all over becoming a ball of myself, so dense that it collapsed on my air passages making my breath sound like a hiss. And beyond that—beyond all of it—pass my skin, through my muscles, between my bones to the very depth of my soul, and even farther than that— to the little speck of darkness where all your secrets and hidden whispers lie, where your fears all hide in disguise… A monster had opened its eyes.

Which is why I must flee. I must… run.

I took a step closer.

Why aren’t I running?

Another step.

Please… Someone help me!

Third step.

“No!” I screeched out as leaped back. I broke the sudden spell as I heard my voice play around me.

I turned and ran. The sidewalk flew beneath my feet as if I were flying, the monster that strangled inside me roared in rage making me have a sudden migraine. My vision double and feet slowed, but I would not let myself stop. Stopping meant that I was giving in—giving into the feeling in myself that desired the death of the Hunter behind me. Just thinking of making that heart slowly stop beneath my hands made my mouth water. It made me hungry.

My mind reeled away from that image as I gasped at my train of thought. What’s wrong with me?

Then I felt it.

A rock hard hand that was ever so hot, landed forcefully of my right shoulder. My mind went nuts. Images and images of things that I could not comprehend flashed through my mind, as the heat of the hand seemed to burn all the way to my shoulder blade, and even farther than that to every inch of my bones, melting them into nothing more but thick molasses. I should’ve collapsed. I would’ve collapsed but then something else popped in my head. An image of myself standing there on the deserted, darkened street with the silhouette of a stranger clasping my shoulder. Something flashed in his left hand—a knife. In slow motion it seemed, he raised his arm and brutally stabbed the side of my neck, the knife going all the way though to the other side. Blood spurted like rain and landed on their arm, permanently staining the jacket they wore. And I fell forward in a lifeless motion.

I blinked and the image was gone. What the hell…? Then something clunked into place. That’s what my captor was planning to do to me. I didn’t know why I had seen it like a movie and honestly I didn’t care about the why’s at this point. I’m going to be dead in less than three seconds. And there was nothing I could do about it.

That last sentence rang though my head echoing like an organ in an empty church. Nothing I could do about it. Nothing I could do about it. Nothing I could do about it. I felt dizzy and on the verge of tears and just when I was silently saying goodbye to my Mother, another feeling nudged through me. It was a slight whisper, a faint tickle that wrapped around my heart. Maybe it was hope, maybe it was my human need to stay alive but whatever the case the feeling whispered ever so gently; you’re wrong. Then the feeling seemed to soar out of my very pours, an invisible glow that only I could feel. And I loved it. I loved life, there was so much I wanted to do, wanted to become. There was so much I needed to learn, needed to discover. I want to experience an adventure. And I refuse to let some psychotic person take that away from me. I want to live.

One second had passed.

Everything happened in a silent slow motion; my legs slightly spread, knees bent. Right fist clenched tight.

Another second passed.

The stranger’s arm swung up. I took action. Putting all the weight in my left foot, I used that to twirl my right side to the left. Everything was blur around me for half a millisecond while I made the swift 180 degree rotation. My arm was ready for the punch that I was about to give them, my fist as hard as iron. And the twirl added the help of force. But as my fist swung to his face, I could’ve sworn I saw a blur of electric blue come from my hand.

I punched the side of his face. He flew back with the sheer force of my unexpected attack. Thirty feet away the psycho clumsily picked themselves up and stared. Not making any sign of coming closer. I stared back willing my eyes to burn holes through his flesh. I clenched my teeth hard willing myself not to vomit as I felt another stirring of the darkness within me. I didn’t understand anything at all, my head running marathons of questions and hysteria. But I refused to show weakness to the person who had threatened my life not too long ago.

Realizing defeat they turned and once again became one with the night, the irate darkness within me disappeared too. And with that, I sagged to the dirty road with my head clenched between my hands and cried. Even after my tears ran out I still couldn’t find the will to stand up and go home. So I sobbed with no tears, my lungs burning. I was so scared… so scared…

When I was finally done with the waterworks, I felt numb inside and out. Was this what shock felt like? I wanted to get up and haul ass back home but I couldn’t trust my legs and the thought of standing up sounded like too much effort. Maybe I’ll crawl? It didn’t matter how I get home and I even seriously considered crawling; all I knew was that I didn’t want to stay on this deserted street with large looming buildings everywhere that could be hiding anything amongst their shadows.

That’s when I heard the whispering.

“No we can’t yet—”

“We have too!”

“No! We can’t be too sure—”

“After witnessing that who wouldn’t be too sure?”

“Do you see the way she’s acting? It’s not time yet!”

“Who gives a s***?”

“I do!”

“Look, I’m tired and freezing my ass off!”

“Your selfish desires are no reason to be hasty!”

“You know what? You can go and f—”

The two whisperers suddenly stopped. And they stayed silent. Did they notice me listening to them? Who are they talking about? Me? Then as one, they both stepped out of the depth of the shadows and approached me. One figure was tall and big boned with hard muscle compacted to every inch of her. The other was lean and a tad bit shorter. But no matter the size difference, they both had an air of being strong and deadly. By their whispered voices I could tell that they were both female.

“Miss are you okay?” Asked the bigger of the two.

“Um, ah—” I began to stutter but the leaner one then advanced on me and grabbed my arms to pull me up. I was about to say thank you but she didn’t let go. Her hands turned into fists around my upper arms and jerked me around so that my arms twisted behind my back. No! No more!

“Knight! Quit! You’re scaring her!” Spat Ms. Big Bones. But the girl named Knight didn’t listen and began to drag me in the opposite direction of my house. I sucked in a quick breath to start screaming but in one fluid motion Knight reached around and clamped my mouth shut. “You’re comin’ with us.” Her voice was a deadly whisper that dared me to try to get away.

I felt my eyes narrow, suddenly pissed that some stranger could think that they had any right in taking me away from my home where my Mother waiting patiently for me. In fact I wasn’t scared at all, not even a little bit. I was already still hung up on what happened minutes before and I was not going to let anyone else toy with me again tonight.

As I made that declaration, I felt every hair on my body stand up like electricity was zooming beneath my skin; and without further ado I completely relaxed in her grip, which was what made her stumble in surprise, and at that brief moment of vulnerability; I lifted up my arm in a quick motion and elbowed her in the stomach. Her breath rushed out of her with a faint “Oomph!” It was obvious she wasn’t expecting me to fight back, probably thought that I liked playing damsel in distress and waited to be saved, but in reality who does that anymore? Then I tore away from her and was slightly surprised that she didn’t lash out and try to grab me. But again I chose not to run away from them because there was one more thing I had to say. I opened my mouth to speak planning on saying something like, “Wait until the cops hear this!” but when I saw their shocked expressions and maybe even reluctant look of awe (From Knight) and my words that I had formed at the tip of my tongue dissolved and turned into something else that completely shocked me and sent me into a spiral of confusion. Something that had me land on the ground in sudden exhaustion that I didn’t realize was slowly consuming me. I’m not sure what was scarier; the fact that the strangers were looking down on me knowing very well that when I pass out I was basically opening myself up for abduction, or was it the fact that while my brain was puzzled over my words, my heart had understood them completely.

“Remember what was said.” Were the words I had formed.

I had a feeling that I was falling. And no matter what I grabbed I couldn’t stop it, so I uselessly flailed around until I did one final jerk that had me opening my eyes to the morning sun. My heart was beating fast as I stretched and heard a few joints pop in relief. Now more relaxed, I rolled over to my side and looked over at my bedside table that held my digital clock that read 12:06 pm. I mentally groaned as I rubbed my face into my pillow. Dang I missed breakfast. Hearing my Mom move around downstairs made me hopeful that she’d make me something for lunch. Rolling back over onto my back, I was surprise at the mild pain I got from my backside. I shifted around thinking that I probably just rolled onto my phone, but no, that wasn’t the case. Oh whatever, I probably fell again without realizing it. Snuggling deeper into my blankets preparing to sleep just a tad bit longer, when something triggered my brain;

A dark street with shadows for company, the promise of help that didn’t exist, being watched from behind, cool wind slapping my face as I ran, the complete shock of landing on the ground, the pain soon disappearing as I saw the black blur fly to crush me…

A lump formed in my throat as I remembered the previous night. Tears welled in my eyes wishing that I didn’t remember any of it. The tears were about to spill over but then I caught myself and smiled in relief. It must’ve been a dream. Waking up in my own bed has proved that much since I remember passing out on the cold, dirty concrete. My relief was soon rained on as I realized that since I didn’t actually go and buy groceries, that meant that there was still no food in the house and my hope of having a good lunch was distinguished. Pushing my dream out of my head, I then thought of possible food choices which made me scowl; Mom probably ate the last bowl of Honey Comb cereal, but I guess if I willingly did the dishes she’d probably give me some money to go grocery shopping.

When I made it downstairs Mom was rushing around the house, obviously late for work. Deciding on staying out of her way, I sat quietly at the cute little kitchen table that sat right in front of an open window with flowery drapes, that looked out at our small front yard and the streets of cars. Our house is cute, tiny and modern. In fact the whole house was like a work of art, and most importantly, it was my home. A house I lived in for 17 years and would be incredibly sad when the time comes to move out.

My Mom thundered her way back into her kitchen to grab her purse that was sitting on the barstool chair.

“Honey! Your awake, I was going to go up there and wake you, but I got behind on time and couldn’t. I’m sorry, but I made you some lunch—” She grabs a plate that was sitting on the counter that I didn’t notice—“It’s your favorite!” She places the plate onto the kitchen table in front of me. I looked up and smiled at her.

“Thanks.” I glanced back eagerly at my lunch then froze; it was my favorite lunch; A smoked turkey and pepper jack cheese sandwich, loaded with mayo and lettuce on whole grain bread, then a side dish of Pringles chips and a cold glass of milk.

My Mother kept talking but I ignored her, suddenly not so hungry anymore.

“Please!” Helga wailed.

“No.” I say trying my best to ignore her and continue reading. We were both in the library and had claimed the comfy couch in the corner to everyone else’s dismay. Now Helga was sitting on the very edge of it and looking at me pleadingly. Her wide hazel eyes bore into mine as she fiddled with her sweatshirt strings. Her usual bright complexion seemed dim somehow and her dirty blonde hair was pulled back into a messy side braid. Which was odd, she preferred to always have her hair stock straight. She grew up always having her mom nag at her to be “neat” and “presentable”. I know this because we’ve been best friends since we started learning cursive in the third grade. Any other day, I’d ask what was up to make her (God forbid) change her perfect hair, but today was different for me; even though I tried I couldn’t get in a good mood and Helga was honestly annoying the crap out of me. It was Monday and my head felt heavy with fatigue since my lack of sleep on Sunday. I didn’t eat at all that day either, afraid of the evidence in the refrigerator of my late night experience. I refused to let myself think of it and the deep feeling of having a raging monster inside of me. For all I know, it could have been a dream and that particular sandwich could have been coincidental. But I couldn’t explain why my butt was bruised and my whole body was achy, like I ran a marathon. Also… a dream wouldn’t be that real would it?

“Kaaaaally!” Whined Helga again, snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Stop Helga.” I say, not even stopping the annoyance leaking into my voice.

“I won’t until you’ve agreed to come!” Says Helga stubbornly as she pounded her fists into her knees. Feeling exhausted, and seriously considering skipping the rest of my class periods, I shut my book and turned to face her.

“And where’s that?”

“The senior field trip! Have you seriously been blocking out everything I’ve been saying for the last ten minutes?” She says with frustration. I rubbed my eyes, hoping to push back another persisting headache.

“Oh yeah. Where’s that again?” I ask totally not caring.

“Alaska! C’mon Kally, get with the program.” She says, snapping her fingers in front of my face to get my attention.

“You and me both know that I’m not gonna go.” I say automatically. I hate field trips.

“Kally! Do you know how hard I’ve been working this year to get the highest GPA possible for this trip? And you’re already marked as an honors student so you barely had to lift up your pinky for you to get the OK notice! And Joedine! Think about Joedine! She’s been studying every night for every subject for a whole year! She’s even starting to get wrinkles! And I won’t be surprised if she starts sprouting grey hairs any second! Kally, she’s risking her beauty for this trip, and you’re just dismissing it like a joke! Then again, I guess you’ve never felt the woes of girls striving to be pretty, since you do it naturally.” She finished, crossing her arms. I ignored the last part.

“Well then you two can go.” I say to her, bending over to retrieve my bag. But Helga was faster as she snatched it into her arms.

“I’m not in the mood for this.” I say, staring pointedly at my bag trapped in her arms.

“C’mon Kally, we may never have another chance like this! Especially with the recent news.” Helga finishes, accidentally showing her true emotions; anxiety. But it was only for a split second, until her face broke into a half-assed smile.

“Okay Helga, what’s wrong?” I ask temporarily dropping my own concerns. Helga’s gaze averted mine, seeming embarrassed.

“Well… have you watched the news recently?” She asks, staring at her hands.

“What? No.” I said, not sure where she’s going with this. She shifted in her seat and laughed. Or tried too.

“Of course not. You hippie.” She smiles at me, trying to lighten the mood. Which only made me more suspicious. I stared at her until she finally cracked.

“Well it’s nothing really but there’s an illness going around in California. The Doctors aren’t sure what it is, which means they don’t know the cure for it either… but its killing people. Fast.” I narrowed my eyes at her. I hate feeling confused.

“Okay sweetheart. We are in Washington State. Not California. What’s that gotta do with a field trip?” I ask feeling heartless. Of course, it sucks for the people who have that unknown disease, but that’s what Scientists and Doctors specialize in. They’ll find the cure. That’s why they get the big bucks.

“Look I know I’m being really childish about this, but what if the Doctors don’t find a cure? And it continues to spread?”

“Helga you always over think things. Don’t worry about it.” I leaned over and checked the clock. Two minutes until the bell. The sound of the couch’s springs groaning in relief had me glancing over at Helga.

“Here’s your bag.” She says, plopping it at my feet. “Well, I guess I’ll see you later, bells gonna ring soon. Look, just forget about what I said regarding California. But I’m serious; me and Joedine will miss you if you don’t come along with us. Just saying. See ya later.” And without further ado, she swept out of the library.

I sat there staring after her. What the hell was up with her? The thundering bell made me jump as I scurried to shove my book in my over crowded bag.

It wasn’t until I got home that evening did I notice the little droplets of blood stained into the front of my bag; right where Helga’s hands desperately clutched.