Chief Justice: New Justice | Teen Ink

Chief Justice: New Justice

January 21, 2012
By Warpathwinner0513, Wheat Ridge, Colorado
More by this author
Warpathwinner0513, Wheat Ridge, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
There's no such thing as no such thing.


Welcome to the Silver Creek Reservation. It’s a small patch of land in Colorado. The nearby town of the same name has three schools, a hospital, and a police station; there are about 60 people here, but on this night the population will be down by two people. There’s a small brick house between the Res. and the town. That’s where I grew up, the little old man lying dead in his arm chair that was my grandfather, Ben. That young Indian man coughing up blood and barely clinging to life on the porch is me, Thomas Oyate Smith. In order to understand why I’m in this situation, we have to go back to my childhood. I was three years old when my parents were killed in a car accident, the only family I had was my Grandpa Benjamin Smith, the town’s Police Chief. Grandpa was always working to provide for me, so during the day I’d hang out with my best kola (friend) Steven Colt and his family of five. We’d play at the creek in Steven’s backyard until Grandpa came to get me.
Before I would go to sleep Grandpa would tell me of my ancestor Oyate, the west’s akicita (peacekeeper). According to Grandpa’s stories Oyate was the last of his tribe after his people were murdered by a sadistic former U.S Civil War general name Jack Drake. According to grandpa when Drake hired an infamous serial killer known as the Savage Killer; many tribesmen said the Savage Killer made a deal with the devil when the townspeople tried to hang him. Drake met his end when he and Oyate fought on the top of this train fell off and was crushed to death. Oyate was then known around this area as Chief Justice because if his were not wiped out he would be their chief.
Back to our main character, me. I used to love the stories of how my ancestor would put bad guys in their place, but as I grew up I began to think of those stories as made up tales. As I entered high school Steven and I were automatically outcasts. Me, because I was kind of a runt and Steven, because he was black and had asthma. The school bully was Markus Kaja; like mine was his ancestor was thought to have been the Savage Killer himself. Everybody hated Markus’ family for the evil acts the Savage Killer did. Apparently Steven’s and my ancestor ended the Savage Killer’s reign of terror when they had to kill him. Because of this Markus vented his anger on both of us. Markus had been in and out of juvenile hall his whole life. The only other person I remember from high school was my first crush Alice Gibson. She was half white and half Sioux. She was the prettiest girl in the whole school; her eyes were the prettiest shade of hazel I ever saw, her hair was a jet black and her skin was beautiful light brown. I remember she was the only person who could stop Markus from beating the life out of me and Steven. I remember the rest of high school being a drag. After I graduated in 2001, I joined the military and in I fought in Iraq and Afghanistan for almost a decade until a Taliban soldier’s bullet hit me in my right knee. About a week later I was back home when I reached the Denver International Airport I was about to hail for a cab when a familiar voice said, “Turn around and put your hands in the air.”

I did as the voice said and turned around and I saw it was Steven wearing a police uniform, a huge smile spread across his face. I laughed and hugged him since I hadn’t seen him since my leave from my tour he became an officer at my Grandfather’s police station. He led me to his car during the hour long drive I asked “Whatever happened to our bully Markus?”
A serious look appeared on Steven’s face.
“I had to bring Markus into the jail after he got caught trying to hold up a diner for money he owed some loan sharks of the Res’ mob boss, Anthony Redcloud.”
Redcloud was a corrupt mob boss responsible for most of the crime in Silver Creek.
I must have fallen asleep because the next thing I could remember was this nightmare of an evil man with solid black eyes then a black red eyed figure harming my grandfather then written in blood I saw the word “Savage.” Steven woke me up to tell me I was at my Grandpa’s house. I drowsily walked to the front door to find my grandpa and his best friend Graham Whitehorse, Alice’s uncle playing poker on the front porch. Graham was a shaman and the medicine man of the Res. Then to my surprise I saw Alice step out of Grandpa’s front door. She looked at me for a while then when she recognized me she said, “Thomas is that you?”
“Yeah it’s me I’m back home,” I smirked.
Suddenly Alice’s phone rang she stepped to the far right side of the porch and I went to talk to Grandpa. Grandpa’s eyes filled with tears he smiled and hugged me.
“My child, I am glad you’ve come back home,” he cried.
“Grandfather, I’ve never been happier to be home.”
Alice ended her phone call and told grandfather, “That was my friend Marie; we were supposed to go to this concert but now I have nobody to go with.”
She looked at me and asked, “Thomas would you like to be my guest?”
Deep inside my head a little voice was screaming, “Yes!” but I said, “I’m sorry Alice, but I must stay and help my grandfather.”
“I’ll be fine Thomas; you go on and enjoy yourself.”
I turned to Alice and accepted her offer. After Steven left, Alice drove her uncle home. The rest of that night after I made Grandpa dinner, I unpacked my bags into my old room; it was still the same as when I left it, full of Transformers posters of superheroes and girls in bikinis. I sat down on my bed and then I felt as if I stepped out of my own body because the next thing I knew I was on the main street of town. I around looked and saw I was near the jail. On the roof of the jail was a bald eagle. It screeched and flew inside the building. I don’t why I followed it but I did, and this would be the last normal night of my life.

I walked into the cell room and there were three people in there: Officer Seth Stanley, Crackhead Louie and Markus. Seth dug his face into a box of donuts at his desk, and then a pail man in a black suit, a fedora and sunglasses walked in the cell room. Seth finished stuffing a jelly donut in his face.
“You can’t be in here sir,” he said.
The man put his hand on Seth’s chest. “Officer you should really watch your diet,” said the man.
Then Seth began coughing turned pale and fell to the ground. The man walked over to a scared Markus and pulled up Seth’s chair and faced a petrified Louie and Markus.
“Hau,” cackled the man.
“What the f*** are you?!” asked Markus.
“I’m a friend; you can call me Mr. E, Markus. I have a proposition for you; how would you like to get even with the people who ruined your life?”
“I’m listening, but what’s the catch?” asked Markus.
“Oh no catch, you just have to have a friend of mine use something of yours.”
Markus thought it over and extended his hand. “You got a deal, E.”
Mr. E met the handshake; when their palms touched Markus’ hand lit on fire and then the fire traveled to Markus’ eyes. Markus screamed in pain then began to quiet down.
“Markus are you okay?” Louie stuttered.
Markus faced Louie to reveal his eyes turned blood red. “Markus is not here, call me Savage!” The voice didn’t belong to Markus; it was deeper and more menacing.
“Go have some fun, Savage,” smirked Mr.E.
Savage grabbed the bars of the cell and broke them off and made his way out of the police station. Mr.E watched Savage then faded away to a black mist. Louie was afraid. He grabbed Seth’s gun and run as fast as he could out of the building. I couldn’t explain what I saw, but I knew it wasn’t good.
Savage made his way to The Redcloud Casino after it closed, and I followed him overhead with the same eagle as before. I ran ahead of Savage and saw Anthony was in his office when he received a phone call from his Casino’s security.
“Sir, it’s that lowlife Markus. He’s here, and he’s ripping our guys to sheds!”
The phone call was cut short when gunfire erupted. Anthony grabbed his gun and his black trench coat. “I better get the hell outta here!”
As Anthony approached the door, a bloody fist burst through his wall. Then the hole got bigger when a scalped body burst through the wall. Savage stepped through the hole.
“Son of a b****!” yelled Anthony.
He fired at Markus and hit him in chest and left cheek. Savage laughed and pushed the bullets out of his body and face. Anthony was quivering in fear. Then Savage grabbed the mob boss, lifted him in the air and broke Anthony’s back. Anthony screamed in pain. Savage looked at Anthony lying in pain on the floor. Savage pulled out a bloody knife and said to Anthony, “Nice coat.”

That morning I woke up frightened. I had no idea what happened and just ignored the images I saw in my dream last night. I put on my knee brace and walked into the living room to see Grandpa watching the news. The female reporter stood in front of the town’s police station.
“I’m standing outside the Silver Creek police station where Officer Seth Stanley was found dead and two criminals, Markus Kaja and Louie Reyes, have escaped. On another note local businessman Anthony Redcloud and ten of his guards were murdered last night and their scalps removed; the killer has dubbed himself The Second Savage Killer by his note written in Redcloud’s blood.” Grandfather looked frightened and yelled, “Get my rifle quickly.”
I ran to get the gun when Markus burst through my door wearing Redcloud’s coat. I charged at him, but his fist hit me in the nose. He ran towards Grandpa. I aimed the rifle at Markus’ back and fired, but it did nothing but irritate him he turned towards me and stomped on my bad knee. I screamed in pain, but Markus put his hand over my mouth and stabbed me in the stomach. I hacked out blood and managed to crawl to the porch. I looked back to see Markus put Grandpa in his chair. I saw Markus’ eyes were blood red. Then I realized my visions were coming true. Here we are now; I’m about to die. Then I saw Graham holding a rifle. He was saying sacred prayers and shot Markus in the back of his neck; Markus ran off. I passed out in pain. I saw nothing but black and this Indian man in his thirties wearing clothing from the 1800’s era.
“Who are you? Where am I?” I asked.
“My name is Oyate, your great ancestor.”
I asked what happened to Grandfather and Oyate said, “Thomas I’m sorry he did not survive.”
I broke down and cried. I hadn’t cried like this before.
Oyate extended his hand to me. “Take my hand Thomas, and I will give you the answers you want.”
I took Oyate’s hand and saw Mr.E’s face and the deal he made with Markus in the jail.
“Oyate, how can I fight what Markus has become?”
Oyate took off the necklace he wore on his neck and gave it to me.
“Thomas, my father gave this to me before he died, and now I would like you to have it.”
I didn’t know why he gave this to me, but I accepted Oyate’s necklace.

I woke up at the hospital that night, bandaged with Steven, Alice and Graham at my side. I asked “What happened?”
Steven said “Thomas I’m sorry your grandfather-”
“I know.” I looked in my hand to see I was holding Oyate’s necklace. I put it around my neck then Markus burst through the wall to my room and grabbed Alice. I screamed, “Markus let her go!”
“My name is Savage now, and if you want her then come and get her, Chief!”
I jumped out of my bed, to my and everyone else’s surprise and ran towards Savage, but he backhanded me through the building into the parking lot. Amazingly I wasn’t hurt. Savage roared, pushed Alice away and grabbed Steven’s Police car. He dropped it on me, and then Oyate’s necklace began to glow. I grabbed the front bumper of the car and put it on the ground. Then my whole body began to glow. When the glowing receded I was wearing new clothes, a mask and for some strange reason, my hair grew longer and was in a ponytail. The suit was black, sleeveless and on the right peck was a dream catcher insignia; tied to my right leg was a silver pair of tomahawks. I didn’t know what was happening, but I had stop Savage. Savage looked both angered and afraid at the sight of my new look. I yelled like a Sioux warrior, ran towards him and punched him on the left side of Markus’ face the blow was so powerful it sent Savage flying. He landed in the hospital’s rear parking lot. I jumped towards where Savage landed. He was gone. Then from behind me Savage pulled out his knife and tried to stab me below my right eye, but when the knife touched my skin the knife broke.
“This is for my Grandfather!” I grabbed a tomahawk and hit Savage in the chest. I threw the other one at him, but it hit a nearby electrical transformer. Savage yanked my tomahawk out of his chest and threw it to the ground. His wound began to heal. I ran towards Savage and tried to grab his neck. He grabbed my right arm and began to break it. I head-butted Savage three times in the face until he let go. Savage yelled in anger and went and grabbed the tomahawk that was in his chest he threw it at me and it hitting me in the lower right ribs. I fell to the ground in pain. Savage removed his trench coat with the scalps in it and walked towards me. He roundhouse kicked me in the chest and sent me flying. Savage went to grab my tomahawk that was in the transformer. “Savage no!’ I yelled.
He ignored me and when Savage went to grab the tomahawk the transformer electrocuted Markus’ body the amount of electricity caused Markus’ body to explode. I pulled the tomahawk out of my rib. Steven, Graham and Alice ran towards me, to see what happened in the fight between me and Savage.
“Thomas!” yelled Alice
Even though I looked way different, I was amazed Alice still recognized me. I pulled the mask off my face and took a look at it. It was an Eagle flying into the sun with the masks solid white eyes in the eagle’s wings. Alice ran towards me and kissed me. I never felt happier.
I saw a crowd of people coming and I put my mask back on. The reporter from the T.V asked, “Sir, who are you?”
“Call me, Chief Justice,” I said before running off. As I ran off I saw Mr.E look furious then fade into a black mist.

About five days later was Grandpa’s funeral. I was walking home after it was over. Alice and Steven pulled up behind me in Steven’s new police truck. Then over the radio I heard, “Armed robbery in progress, suspect is Crackhead Louie.” I smiled at Alice and Steven then touched Oyate’s necklace. With my suit on I walked towards Alice, kissed her and ran with great speed towards my new adventure.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 7 comments.


msph said...
on Mar. 22 2012 at 8:36 am
Nice! Great story. You're well on your way to becoming an author. Keep it up.

Uncle_A said...
on Feb. 9 2012 at 5:29 pm
The story was very easy to see in my minds eye as I read it. Kept me on the edge of my seat. Nicely done!

Eliasimba said...
on Feb. 7 2012 at 3:14 pm
It is a quick read, so much excitement. Job well done Son.

on Feb. 7 2012 at 10:47 am
Warpathwinner0513, Wheat Ridge, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
There's no such thing as no such thing.

Thank you very much.

Astang said...
on Feb. 6 2012 at 5:53 pm
I thought the story was very creative. Excellent work

on Jan. 31 2012 at 7:41 pm
Warpathwinner0513, Wheat Ridge, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
There's no such thing as no such thing.

Thank you very much.

Eliasimba said...
on Jan. 31 2012 at 2:24 pm
Great story, warms the heart and makes you believe again.