Power | Teen Ink

Power

December 21, 2011
By yueryuu, Naperville, Illinois
More by this author
yueryuu, Naperville, Illinois
0 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Even if the world were to end tomorrow, I'll still plant an apple tree today.


Author's note: This book is completely a dream that I had...I am not making up any parts of it. At first I could not understand this dream, but then when I replayed it in my mind, it made so much sense, and it left me in shock; I just had the feeling that I had to tell everyone about it.

This is a world where power is everything. Countries became divided into sections ruled by separate organizations. Really, it is a pitiful world where even if there is the sun, it is still dark and covered in mist of inextricable bloodshed. Although this war is confined from the public, if a person was to probe for a connection of it to their bloodline, there will be countless connections. And this war was my entire fault.

In this world, people fight over power. However, this power is not a thing; it is a person: me. I brought this world into an incessant war. It all happened when I allowed the sun to shine upon my face for the first time in my life. Everyone around me was terrified of my appearance: long, silver hair and unusual light blue-green eyes. Rocks and sticks, anything that could be found at range, were thrown at me as projectiles. I heard screams of rejection; people calling me expletives; and, worst of all, I witnessed the terror I brought to those people’s eyes. In return for this unexpected outcome of my sudden appearance, I had no choice but to shield myself with my inhuman power. That was my worst mistake. People began to become obsessed with my power; they desired it and were willing to kick the bucket for that sake. I was chased from country to country; everywhere I went my freedom was always being pursued, and, after several decades, I was eventually caught.

From the day I was caught, I was battled over for, being passed around from organization to organization. Every time, I was forced to utilize my power for an organization’s ominous deeds, and each time I refused, I was tortured physically, but I never agreed. It did not matter what they did to me— I never spoke, succumbed, or cried in despair. Although I never showed any emotion, the desire to break free from this fate was tyrannous. Day and night, I would come up with a plan to escape until I thought it perfect, but I never had the enough courage to become a fugitive, and when I did, my plan always failed, ending with a result of always falling into the hands of another organization.

However, of all the times I had tried to become free, only once was I caught without me wanting to run away. That day, I was on the very border between deciding on my future: live another day to see freedom or become completely free by just terminating this life.

This organization that managed to get me without my intention of running away ruled over a section of the Mediterranean Sea, Spain, and France called JJ17D-Platoon, Section 52. Currently, the organization that detained me, which named itself 2QX, Section 1, was fighting against JJ17D-Platoon, Section 52. I already knew that JJ17D-Platoon, Section 52 had stronger forces than 2QX, Section 1; in fact, JJ17D-Platoon, Section 52 was the strongest one in the eastern and northern hemisphere. The JJ17D-Platoon, Section 52 was indeed a formidable organization for it rose to power on its own without even once taking me under their possession, but now that they were aiming for world domination, they needed my power to defeat all of their opposing organizations. I was crucial to them in every way.
I went outside the window as I saw two guards rushing towards me. I held unto the bulging parts of the structure of metal that performed as the shield for the ship. I looked to the side in the direction in which the organization was moving towards; I saw another ship, half the size of the one I was currently on, drawing in closer and closer at a steady pace. I could see a large canon on top of the faraway ship as it fired missiles towards my location. I looked down: the ocean was crystal-clear and blue, the sun shining upon it— it was the perfect day to go out fishing.
“She’s escaping!” one of the guards that were chasing after me said as the other guard was making his way outside. I moved away from him as he tried to catch me with one of his hands. Then the ship began to rock violently after a boisterous sound, and I saw a large amount of smoke rising upwards. There were red lights flashing inside and a large commotion. I saw from the corner of my eye a missile rush by me and then crash into the vast sea. The guard who was pursuing me, unfortunately, did not duck in time and got blown off along with the missile. I trembled in woe: this is what this war’s only outcome has been.
A small boat had departed from the ship that was far away and was currently just a mile away, fast approaching my location. I had to think of something fast before it was too late and history would just repeat itself once again. Without thinking twice, tentatively, I let my feet hang in the air, and I then followed that motion and let one of my hands let go of its grip. My whole body was swaying from side to side as the wind blew past me.
“She’s about to fall; hurry!” I heard a person from the small boat command.
I dilatorily closed my eyes. My heart skipped a beat, and, out of sheer silence, I loosened my grip and began to descend forty meters until I plunged into the water. I heard a splash and a felt a keen pain on my back when I fit the bottom of the sea that felt as though I had fractured a bone, causing me to let out a large gasp that was immediately engulfed with water. My body slowly descended against the sea floor, allowing itself to rest upon a large boulder. I opened my eyes in the salty water and saw the small boat over the place I had fallen into. I heard noises coming from the boat and my eyelids began to grow heavy. Perhaps this is finally the end of it all; I can be free…forever, I thought as life slowly slipped out of me.
Before I lost consciousness, I felt a person’s arm place itself on my back. As I tried to open my eyes, I saw a pulchritudinous man that looked to be around his twenties with light brown hair. I fell unconscious again when I felt my body had surfaced above the water. My final plan had just begun.

When I woke up, I still had the keen pain on my back, but it seemed to have gotten worse know that I was out of the water. I looked around the room I was in. It was nighttime, but it had a cozy feeling. For the first time in my life, I had slept on a bed. A tear of joy streamed down my cheek and unto the pillow; if I could stay this way for the rest of my life, I’d be in heaven. I lifted my hand to wipe away the tear, feeling a respirator covering my mouth and nose. I did not know how long I had been unconscious, and it frightened me to know that I was leisurely sleeping in an enemy’s territory. I took off the respirator and set it on the floor gently, without making any sounds. I sat up on the bed and began to cough as I strained my eyes to analyze my surroundings.
As I was about to get out of the bed, the door that was next to the bed opened slowly, allowing light to pierce the darkness. Two people walked in: a middle-aged man with a white coat and a small black suitcase along with the person who had taken me out of the water in front of the man with the white coat. They had been looking down as to not trip over an object. They saw me from the corner of their eyes and vaulted in astonishment when they saw me beginning to stand up from the bed.
“Miss, you shouldn’t get up in that condition you’re in,” the middle-aged man said to me and then walked forward to face the other man and told him, “reach into my bag and take out a small bottle labeled C-16, please.”
“Is this the one?”
The doctor grabbed the bottle, inspected it, and then nodded in agreement. He reached into a pocket on his coat and took out a syringe. I flinched and began to run towards the door, but the man who had taken me out of the water grabbed me by the arm and pulled me towards him. He placed his other arm around my shoulders and held me down as the doctor approached me with the syringe that had been filled with a transparent liquid. I struggled to brake free, but the more I moved, the harder the man’s grip was. The doctor leaned down and injected the substance in my arm.
“There…that wasn’t so bad, now was it?”
I ignored the doctor. The doctor placed his hand on my forehead and said, “Your fever also seems to have gone down considerably. You shouldn’t move around with those broken ribs of yours. How are you feeling?”
I ignored his question and stared at him blankly. I made the man who was still holding me let go by slapping his hand that was on my shoulder while my vision was still positioned on the doctor’s eyes; I walked back to the bed and placed myself underneath the blankets. The doctor had streaks of sweat stream down the side of his face. He’s scared to death of me. I giggled in amusement at the sight of the doctor.
The man who saved me was the first to realize his expression was blank, but the doctor had already left the room by this time (ran away with his tail in between his legs, actually), and said, “I am General Ciel S. Powell of JJ17D-Platoon, Section 52, may I ask for your name, young miss?”
I shook my head in disagreement. General Powell walked to the side of the bed I was in and sat next to me and said with the softest voice he had probably ever spoken in a while, “May I know your name?”
I got irritated by his kindness; it felt like he was trying to be kind to destroy me from the inside and then decimate the outside. I sat up swiftly so that my face was a few inches away from him. “You may not know my name, Mr. General Ciel S. Powell,” I then paused and continued, “I never asked to be saved: why did you do it?”
“A gentleman must never leave a lady to be in such a manner.”
“You are a gentleman? You, who took countless lives for power and territory, call yourself a gentleman?”
He smiled, “I have never taken a life, and neither have my subordinates.”
“When you were shooting missiles from your ship, one of your missiles hit a soldier and that soldier died.”
He commenced to laugh as though I had just made the greatest joke of all times. “That was my ex-subordinates who had turned against me right when we were going to make 2QX, Section 1 surrender and began to shoot the missiles; what he did or why he did it has no relation to me.”
His words resounded in my mind: hideous, expletory echoes. “If someone works as your subordinate, you should take responsibility for what he or she does.”
With that said, I rendered him speechless. I peered into his eyes, and I noticed what might have been anger over one’s self. This type of person, I knew, is the type who does not like to be wrong; the type who if is told he is incorrect, he would use violence to silence the person who corrected him, but if he knew what he just said was wrong because someone allowed him the awareness of it, he would most definitely abuse himself physically. And I, unconsciously, began to think I would be the one to blame if he were to hurt himself: I detested the thought of it for I hated the fact that I was the one who caused the pain and suffering. At that very moment, Fear began to reveal itself upon me. My emotions were changed almost immediately, causing alarm to the man.
I said in a whisper, as a tear of fright ran down my face and my body trembled, “…don’t do it…”
He definitely heard me and had understood what I had meant. He tentatively stared into my eyes that were currently covered with dark brown eye contacts. He opened his mouth to utter something, but no words were said. I waited until the moment he was ready to speak his mind. After a few minutes, he spoke, completely changing the topic, “You really will not tell me your name?”
Expecting this inquire, I ignored that question once again by turning my head to the side, avoiding eye contact. I noticed him smile from the corner of my eye after he had said, “Then, don’t interpret the way I call you in a rude way. I’ll be calling you Yue from now on, if you won’t tell me your name.”
I became interested in his purpose for calling me in such a way: “Why ‘Moon’?”
He stood up, placed his hands on his hips as he looked to the side towards the window, and replied in a melancholic and distant tone, “What is a sky without a moon?” Those, to my surprise, were words of the past.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.