The King of the Werwolves

Author's note: READ THIS!!!

I started writing this in sixth grade and finished it a year ago, and...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: READ THIS!!!

I started writing this in sixth grade and finished it a year ago, and it is also at a lower writing level than other books.

I will ask you the same question I asked for the Legend of the Batbark Woods: SHOULD I REWRITE THIS BOOK??? PLEASE ANSWER!!!

P.S. It might take you a while to decide, considering this book is REALLY long!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 Next »

The New Kid

The school bus screeched to a stop in front of Miles, Katrina, and Randall. The three kids sauntered up the steps. Katrina sat with her friends, Rachel and Tammy, while Miles and Randall once again plopped down into an empty seat together.
“Hey, I was riding home from afterschool basketball yesterday and I saw a ton of rainbow grape trucks driving to the place where your dad works.”
“Huh?”
“Your dad works at MichaelsCo, doesn’t he?”
“Oh, yeah! He does!
SPOILER ALERT: The new kid isn't a monster or anything. He just helps out the main characters later.
He told me he had a meeting to go to yesterday. I wonder if it had something to do with the ghostberry…or rainbow grapes…whatever!”
“I heard that the CEO of that company is kinda strange.”
“I hear my dad say that sometimes. He says the guy never shows his face.”
“Hmmm…that is strange. I wonder why he never shows his face. Maybe…a bad case of acne?”
“Well…I don’t think any ADULTS would care about that. And I’m a nice guy, so I wouldn’t go around teasing people about that.”
“Maybe there’s some dark secret about Mr. Michaels that nobody’s figured out yet.”
“I don’t know, but there’s no use in wasting time to find out.”
“Unless…you know…um…it has something to do with the Batbark Woods.”
There was a long silence between Miles and Randall. Then Miles turned to Randall and spoke. “They retreated, didn’t they? Before you brought that comment up…I thought I would never hear about it again.”
“Well, I’m just sayin’…it could have something to do with it.”
“I don’t know if that’s the case here, but I don’t want those freaks to attack again! I’m just gonna stick with the fact that they’re gone forever.”
“But Miles, think about it! We’re still the only ones who know about them besides Katrina, your dad, Mr. Rivarez, and probably that Michael kid. And let me tell ya, that is NOT a majority. We’re pretty unprepared here, and for all we know, they could be sending out spies disguised as people!”
Miles pondered what Randall had just said. “I’m surprised at you…it’s usually me who would think about all that stuff. Okay, I’m not completely sure if they’ll attack again, but don’t worry. I’ll always keep my guard up.”
Miles didn’t think that would happen now that the monsters’ leader was gone, but then he had a thought. Normally, when a king was in office, he would always have a right-hand man. When the king suddenly left office, the right-hand man would take his place. The Headless Horseman’s right-hand man had been the King of the Werewolves, and for all Miles knew, that ghastly king could’ve been planning another army…even fiercer than before
Miles slumped down in his seat. Other high school students also walked into the classroom and plopped down in their chairs.
What Randall had said earlier to Miles on the bus had gotten Miles thinking. Would the monsters attack again? Would their attacks be fiercer? Miles didn’t know, but he hoped that all the answers to his questions would be answered ‘no’. If the questions were answered ‘yes’, Miles didn’t know what he would do.
Everyone was in their seats talking to each other when the teacher stepped behind her large desk.
“All right, everyone. Take your seats,” the teacher instructed. The talking slowly died down. “Now some of you might have noticed this morning that we have a new student, sitting to the left of Mr. Jones there.” By Mr. Jones, she meant Miles, because Miles’s last name was Jones.
Miles looked to his right and saw a kid in a light gray jacket with a light blue shirt, a green knapsack, ruffled blond hair and turquoise glasses.
“His name is Cal Reedason, and he comes here from New Jersey.” Miles was surprised anyone would want to move to Misty River after the monster attack. The teacher continued. “Please extend a warm welcome to Cal…he’s pretty unfamiliar with this place, as you might infer.”
Cal looked about Miles’s age, but a bit older. Also, his clothes weren’t as neat and tidy. His jacket and jeans were patched up in most places and his hair was very unruly and disarray. Miles wondered if at his old school if he had been a cool kid or a kid pounded by bullies. But what Miles thought of most was him moving in. Why had he moved in right after there had been a monster attack?
What Miles wondered most was whether Cal was involved with the Batbark Woods or not.
After lunch, Miles and Randall were walking together in the hall to their classes.
“Hey, we had a new student, today,” said Miles.
“Really?” Randall inquired. “Who was it?”
“His name is Cal Reedason. I think he might be about my age.”
“Cal Reedason…hey! I know that guy! He just moved in three days ago. Sorry I didn’t tell ya, but he moved in right next-door to me!”
“He’s your next-door neighbor?”
“Yeah. He’s like my 2nd best friend next to you!”
“Do you really have any other friends?”
Randall glared at Miles. He was considered weird by all the other students, and didn’t have very many friends at all.
Randall exclaimed, “If you bring that up again, you’re not gonna have any other friends.”
“Okay…gee…sorry…but I have to talk to you about something. It’s about Cal.”
“AAAH! Do you LIKE him?”
“What? Are you crazy? No! Now let me say what I was gonna say.”
“Okay.”
“Don’t you think it’s strange how Cal moved here even though this town’s popularity went down a lot due to a monster attack?”
“Wait…you mean…”
“Cal could be involved with our Batbark Woods problem!”
“I don’t have problems!”
“I never said you did! Now back to the case at hand…”
“Dude, you’re crazy! Cal is a really nice guy! Besides, he moved here because his mom wanted to take advantage of the ghostberry slop over here! And plus…”
“Plus what?”
“You didn’t hear this from me, but his hometown in New Jersey was…um…how do I put this?”
“His hometown in New Jersey was what?”
“Um…it was…attacked by monsters.”
“It was WHAT?!?!”
“It was attacked by monsters! I just said that!”
“Oh my, gosh…oh my, gosh…Randall, this is serious! Misty River isn’t even NEAR New Jersey! How could the monsters get all the way over there?”
“I don’t know…but states and towns everywhere are getting attacked by monsters nowadays! Maybe the purple coffins are all around the country!”
“But…that can’t be possible…”
“It’s happening almost every night! The monsters aren’t out for a tea party anymore, Miles! I don’t know if this is true, but they might’ve declared war against us!”
“Wouldn’t they attack here then? If my dad destroyed their leader, they would probably be attacking here, right?”
“I don’t know, but they might be planning something that hasn’t happened yet. And let me tell ya, Cal isn’t a suspect because the monsters just attacked his hometown. He can’t be on their side if they tried to kill him. But I do have a person you should keep an eye on.”
“Who is that?”
“Mr. Michaels. The CEO who never shows his face. There might be some particular reason he doesn’t show his face, and it could be involved with the Batbark Woods. You should investigate it, Miles.”
“All right, Randall. Come down to my house tonight. We’ll talk about the matter and see if we can find out anything. Right now we’ve got to get to our classes.”
“Okay. See ya later, Miles!”
At the end of the day, Miles, Randall, and Cal were all walking in the hallway. Miles, Randall, and Cal all walked through the main entrance. Their parents were coming to pick them up.
“Oh, look! My dad’s here!” Randall said, pointing to a burly, muscular dark-skinned man. “See ya, guys!”
As Randall walked away, Miles and Cal looked for their parents.
Miles finally decided to talk to Cal. “So…why did you move here again?”
Cal turned to Miles. “My home in New Jersey was practically destroyed by monsters. We decided to move somewhere else. We moved here because of all the big business. My parents have been dying to make a profit on something in their franchises, and they decided that the popular rainbow grapes would be just the thing.”
“Yeah…those rainbow grapes are building up some big shopping.”
Then Cal saw a woman with blond hair and dull eyes striding towards them. “Ooh! I think that’s my mom.”
Cal’s mom looked at Miles and smiled. “Oh, Cal! Looks like you’ve already made a few friends here!”
“Uh, hi!” Miles greeted. “I’m Miles Jones.”
“I’m kind of starting to get used to this place, Mom!” Cal replied. Then he hesitated for a moment. “Mom?”
Cal’s mom’s smile had turned into an expression of deep thought. “Miles Jones…”
“That’s me,” Miles muttered.
“Hmmm…it rings a bell…I just don’t remember. I know your face. I know I’ve seen you before…I just don’t know where. I think…”
Cal’s mom was stopped short by the sound of a car horn. Then Miles heard his dad’s voice. “Miles! Time to come home!”
“Okay! I’ll be there in a minute, dad!” Miles turned to say good-bye. He said good-bye to Cal, and was about to dismiss himself when he saw Cal’s mom. She was narrowing her eyes at Miles’s dad. Miles turned around and saw that his dad was narrowing his eyes at Cal’s mom.
“Um…are you guys okay?” Miles inquired.
After a long silence, Miles’s dad laughed halfheartedly and said, “Well…uh…what a pleasure it is to see you again, Janet.”
Miles’s eyes grew wide. “Ja…Jan-eh…Jano-WHAT?!?! Janet???”
“Ollie,” Cal’s mom, or Janet replied.
Miles turned to his dad. “Your first name is OLLIE?!??”
Before Miles could say anything else, Cal’s mom brushed past him. His dad jabbed his car door open and strode towards Cal’s mom. When the two met, they broke out into a huge yelling fest. Cal’s mom screamed at Miles’s dad, and Miles’s dad screamed at Cal’s mom.
Miles was completely and utterly perplexed. He didn’t know what this was all about. But he could make out some of the words the two adults were screaming at each other.
“OLLIE! You’re a complete and total disgrace to me!”
“I prayed I would never see you again!”
“Stick a sock in it, dunderhead!!!”
“I would rather jump into a pit full of sea monsters than have you around!”
“I thought we would live a happy life with Miles, Cal, and Katrina and you just ruined it! YOU RUINED IT, OLLIE!!!”
As this comment, Miles jumped. He remained as still as a statue.
“THAT’S IT! MILES! GET IN THE CAR!!!” Miles’s dad screamed. Miles hesitated for a brief moment, and then sauntered into the car.
Miles’s dad rocketed into the car and sped away. Cal’s mom screamed at the top of her lungs behind him, “YOU SELFISH LITTLE CREEP! I NEVER WANT TO SEE YOUR FACE AGAIN!!!”

Reignbow.Rebel said...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 8:39 am:
Bravo! Loved the first! I see a bright future for you!

kingofwritersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:07 am :
Thanks! :)

MAXIMUMRIDEFOREVER said...
This was really good! I read the other one! Great job! Do you think you could check out my work. None of my work in posted yet, but when it is could you check it out? thanks!

Dec. 21, 2011 at 7:18 am :
I'll check it out when it's posted! I haven't been on TeenInk in a while. :/

kingofwritersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 5, 2011 at 8:29 am:
Hey, if you haven't read the Legend of the Batbark Woods, read that before you read this, because this is the sequel, and you won't understand ANYTHING unless you read the Legend of the Batbark Woods first.