The Pack | Teen Ink

The Pack

By Kiba1 GOLD, Cripple Creek C.O, Colorado
Kiba1 GOLD, Cripple Creek C.O, Colorado

\"Its Not Too Late Its Never too Late.\" \" \'I Cant\' Is Never True\" \"Ill Be The First To Say that Now Im O.K\" \"You Tried To Bring me Down, And You Epicly Failed.\" "Judge me, And I'll Prove you Wrong. Say I'm Nothing? Watch Me Soar."

Author's note: I Have Worked On This For 2 Years, I Hope You Enjoy.

We Were Racing. Fell, my twin brother, my eldest sister, also pregnant sister, Larka, my other sister Kipcha. I was in the lead, as we got to the house, I darted in side inside, then stopped in my tracks, a gut wrenching feeling telling me something was wrong. I looked around; I smelled iron and rust, metal, gunpowder. I was scared. I looked in, and turned the light on, I screamed with out realizing it, Fell, Larka, and Kipcha came in looking alarmed. There was a gory sight, Fells pale face turned green, Larka ran for the phone, and Kipcha fainted, I fell to my knees in a puddle of blood. Dark crimson blood seeped into my pant legs. My mother’s cold dead body, a hole in her head, shattered pieces of her skull on the floor, lay before me, I saw what seemed to be her brain through the hole, mashed up and dead in her head from the bullet. The note- “Look Once Look Twice, For T’is Death I Wish to Entice”

Charles came and picked us up, we were standing outside, and my jeans were still blood stained. His eyes were blotched and red. We knew why mum killed herself; he didn’t need to tell us. He was with a ‘close she-friend’ when he goes to drink. “Kids, we are goanna stay with Reba.” His voice was hoarse, and hollow, I wished it wasn’t Reba... she’s his close ‘she-friend’ I hated Charles. I sighed and went into the car, wincing as my mother’s congealed blood pulled at my skin, caking my pants to my shins and knees. We followed like a funeral march; the next week would be filled with horrors beyond our wildest imagination. The next morning Reba came running in. “Rise and shine sweethearts! There’s a happy sunny day ahead of us!” Kip stared. Fell glared. I burst into tears, and I heard Lark raving on, “You terrible phony b****! Our mother just blew her f*ing brains out you f*ing bubbly ass son of a b**** whore!” I hadn’t heard her so mad in a while… she got up and punched Reba in the face, her nose spurted blood, and her slender dark skinned form collapsed, Lark was getting ready to kick her in the ribs, when Fell came and touched her arm, his 9 year old face stony, “Enough.” Lark looked at Reba’s bloody face and reached down to help her up, “I’m sorry Reba…” Lark and Kip took Reba to the bathroom to get cleaned up I stumbled into the living room, Charles was digging a knife into his arm. “What the hell are you doing Charles?” I screeched. He ran at me, baring the blade, I didn’t know what happened it was a flash of silver, a cold feeling curving on my cheek as the blade sliced through my skin. I gasped and thick warm blood filled my mouth, one of my eyes blanked out and I couldn’t see. I hadn’t realized I had let out a gurgled scream, I saw Fell, staring with horror, I put out my hand, my eyes wide with pure complete fear, “Help… Me….” I gurgled and fell backwards and blacked out.

I woke in the hospital; I had good hearing so I listened to the doctors talking to Reba.

“She’s goanna be blind in that eye, the father was arrested, yes?” Reba must have nodded because the doctor went on.

‘‘Well, take good care of her.” I reached up and felt the bandages, I gasped in pain, and Fell came in,

“Are you ok Ebony??” his voice was high and scared. I returned, my voice hoarse from the pain meds,
“Yeah, it just hurts.” Fell sighed with relief and smiles,
“You’ve been out for two days.” It was silent until, Kyle, a friend of entered.

“Reba can’t take you, so I am.” I was surprised at his statement, he was only 10… we were 9, 14 and 16…. Reba signed the papers and we went to our old house, it smelled of blood and antioder, and disinfectant.

“Grab a few trinkets, some cloths and what not.” I grabbed my bloody jeans, a few of mum’s old Tripp cloths and a ring, I ran out side to catch up with them. I had to run fast to stay caught up with Kyle, even though I was only a few months younger than him, he was at least a foot taller. I watched him, the wind brushed through his oft blonde hair, and his smile as he looked at me made my heart flutter. He gave me a quizzical glance and I shook my head coming to my senses.

“uhh….Where are we going Kyle? I stuttered.

“I’m bringing you to the Pack.” We walked forever. Kyle Stopped, In front of him stood a tall building, I heard a bunch of yelling, and some noises, Kyle knocked on the door, we heard a voice, “Are You the Wolf Who Howls to the Moon?” the voce snarled, it made me shiver.

“I Am The Pack That Howls At Dusk With Its Fellows.” Kyle returned, the door creaked open, I looked around, it was fully dark on one side, I couldn’t tell what the smell was, but I had a good idea. Drugs and Alcohol. I was stared at by a lot of teens there was a few guys eyeing Kipcha, giving her leering smiles, I gave them a half blind glare, and they turned back to what they were doing. I felt smug that a 9 year old girl with a scar could scare some teenage guys into leaving her sister alone. I flexed my back, feeling the lithe muscles slide under my skin. I guess I was pretty strong and scary for my age. I looked around, and there were broken bottles and smoke swirling around the room. The scent of the smoke was making me dizzy, but happy. Kyle led us to a flight of stairs, a girl sat at the top. She had a distant look in her chocolate eyes, and her long cascading brown hair flowed down her thin shoulders, she held a crystalloid stick on her fingers, she put her lips on one end and drew in a breath, she closed her eyes and blew out a thick white smoke.

“Ocarina please put the Meth down and these are our new Wolves...” Kyle gestured to us-

“The small one with green eyes, she is one eyed yes?” Ocarina’s voice was soft and hollow, accented odd, some place from farther into Europe, or Maybe Russia.. Kyle looked at me to speak up. I stepped forward and stood tall, if I had a tail, it would be tucked, I was scared senseless…

“I am Ebony. I was attacked by three men, one had a knife and he cut me, my brother,” I gesture to Fell, “Found me and stitched it up. Our father killed our mother,” I explained, “Kyle found us and brought us here.” I finished. Ocarina gave a nasty smile; her teeth were black and jagged. “Welcome to the Pack, you need new names…. Ebony, you are Scar, and fell, your name is good enough, pregnant one, your name?”
“Kipcha” my sister answered, her blue eyes blazed.

“It’s Flame now.” Ocarina snapped. And you?” Ocarina turned to Larka,

“I am Larka.” She returned coolly.

“You are now Firebird.” Ocarina smirked. “Now go introduce yourselves, and Scar, wait a minute.” I looked alarmed, and I walked into the room with Ocarina.

“I like you Scar, but your small, your going to get hurt, do you know how to fight?” she asked, her empty eyes blazed with life.

“Sort of…” I replied as Ocarina turned.

“I see…” she spun and threw her fist at me, I ducked and spun my foot under her knocking her down I ran at her pining her, straddling her and holding her head down, I hold my fist above her face and she gives me a black toothed grin. “You’re free to go, Scar but first, unwrap the eye, you will seem tougher, not many will hurt you.” I walk away down the stairs, a girl comes up to me, she gives me a calculating look, and I narrow my eyes.

“You’re the blind girl?’’ the other female asked me snidely.

“So? What if I am?” I snarled back.
She looked at me and her eyes blazed, she swung at me and hit me squarely in the jaw, I yelped, and Fell and Kyle came running,
“Scar!” they yell in unison. I regain my stance and snap kick the girl in the jaw, the hit her in the belly, I weave my fingers into the ponytail hanging off her head and put her face to mine-
“Never underestimate an opponent.” I threw her down and pinned her pulling a dagger from my shoe putting it to her arm, digging deep, she screamed and howled, as animal as our name. I jerked the knife up, a deep long gash resonated on her arm. I licked the blood off and ran the edge down her face cooing,
“you would be smart to steer clear, pup.”
I got off her and walked to a very sheepish, grossed out Fell, my jaw was already bruising. Fell smiled in relief,
“I guess I don’t have to worry about you anymore Scar.” His voice was sort of sad, then we yawned in unison, we found a nook and curled up, we were tired, we slept. My dreams flooded with thoughts of taking Ocarina’s place as Alpha of the pack.

When I woke a leering man was hunched over me, pristine chest bare, he was chiseled as all men were here, my eyes widened as he leaned closer, pot on his breath,
“hey sweetie come with me to my room.” He was obviously drunk. I hissed at him, drowsiness shaken from my head,

“In your dreams freak.”

He shrugged at this,

“ok then sweetheart, you give me no choice.” He grabbed my legs and pulled at my pants, my screams echoed through the corridor. No one was around; Fell and I had picked a bad place to sleep. –I kicked at him as he peeled my pants off and tried getting at my underwear. He sadly succeeded, bugger and stronger than my nine year old body. He grabbed my shoulders and pulled me towards him, and I bit him as hard as I could, my teeth sinking deep into his arm. He howled and dropped me and I kicked him hard in the face as Kyle ran in, I half naked, with blood dripping down my mouth and cheeks, and a man at my feet clutching his mouth howling. Kyle ran over and gave me a hug; I suddenly became extremely self conscious, and looked up at Kyle. His icy blue eyes were staring back into mine as he leaned forward and our lips met. Fell barged in and we broke apart,

“What the-!” he yelled looking around as I quickly pulled my underwear on, Kyle and fell walked out of the hall dragging the bleeding man with them, and I pulled my pants on, unable to get the thought of Kyle’s warm soft lips out of my mind…

The Years Flew By Quickly, Ocarina Was Getting Careless, Kyle And I Were Constantly Complaining, And becoming Much, Much Closer. When We Return To The Story, I Am 15. And I Will Make The Biggest Decision Since Leaving Our Home With Charles And Joining The Pack

I woke from my room I shared with Kyle and Fell. I had acquired many knife cuts since joining the pack, but very pup gets battle scars. The scar that blinded me and gave me my name was still the most impressive scar. I yawned loudly, the room smelled of pot, and Fell was on the ground, still dragging from a shroom spin. He moaned and stared at the ceiling, his pupils were so dilated they almost weren’t there. I looked around, Kyle and I, had agreed, this was the day. I but on my wrist warmer with the laces on them, and my favorite Tripp pants, I looked to my mirror where my reflection stared back, raccoon eyes, black hair streaked blonde and blue, lithe and muscular, a jagged ugly scar running down the left cheek, the left eye was milky and blind. The pupils were still dilated from the party last night, and my head spun with alcohol.

“Kyle?” I whispered

“Mm?” he murmured groggily.

“Have I changed?” I asked.

“Yes you have. Your stronger faster, and even though you’re half blind, the best fighter. You will win today.” He smiles assuring me, and looping an arm around my waist pulling me close, making me gasp, “and you’re the most beautiful fighter here as well.”

I smiled up at him; even through one eye he was gorgeous, with blonde stubble. I rubbed my hand on his chin,
“Shave wolfy, Were in for a big day.” He smiled and stood up walking into the bathroom I took a deep breath and headed down the stairs, Ocarina treated me well, but she was hurting the Pack. We were losing money; she was taking it all for her Methamphetamines and Cocaine. She had to go. I walked up to Ocarina, and Flame smiled at me. She knew what I was about to do. Ocarina was sneering at Flame.

“You came to us in child, and we allowed you to stay after your child was borne. Well Flame, we gave you a home, and you say your snarky little sisters a better leader than me? That little snot nosed brat?” she growled. I snarled behind her, my pride wounded from her sudden hatred towards me. I did feel hurt even though I was about to murder her.

“Ocarina! Your time is over. Long live the Alpha. I challenge you for leadership of the Pack. I Scar will lead the pack better than you ever did!’’ Ocarina glared and bared her long nails, they were grimy, and her teeth were Meth eaten and black. She was grotesque. She lunged, and I jumped out of the way, slamming my hand on her back, she hit the ground with a crunch, one of her ribs was broken, the kids circled us howling and yelling, either Scar, or Ocarina. She spun lashing a hand out, I felt my arm get wet, a flash of silver, she had cut my arm. I screeched and lashed my wrist out, my chains hit her, she was knocked back, and she bared the knife that dripped my own dark blood. I narrowed my green eyes. She smiles as I took my jacket off and looked around for Kyle.

“Catch!” I yelled. He caught it and then looked horrified.

“Scar! Look out!” I spun and my hair was caught by the flashing blade, my pale arm was bloody and dripping. I ripped my bracelet off. Ocarinas eyes widened in fear. My bracelet was studded in long sharp spikes. I fastened it around my fist and swung at her. She hissed and ran I stood my ground, Kyle pushed her back, she looked at Kyle in surprise,
“B...But Kyle… My Beta… My…” Kyle Sneered at her, his eyes gold with forced hatred,
“What’s best For the Pack Is What Follows through. Get in there you filthy coward.” He stated the words of the Packs motto. I leaped on her and pinned her down, my knees on her shoulders, my palm on her forehead. I hit her directly in the chest, and the inch long spiked embedding in her breast. I closed my eyes and whispered in her ear.

“For the better of The Pack. I’m sorry.” She looked at me, my eyes were teary, and she smiled,

“I forgive you Ebony.” I was surprised; I hadn’t heard my real name in 6 years. I pulled my fist from her belly, the spikes dripping dark crimson blood. The red stain sped across her belly as she slipped away. I grimaced. The pack started coming towards me and I held up a bloody hand to stop them,

“Bring a clear white sheet. She will receive a leader’s burial, The Alphas Rest. Fell came down carrying a crimson cloth. A puzzled look crossed my face and Fell calmed it with a soft voice,

“White is for a battle, Crimson is the Alphas color.” I nodded and we covered her and we brought her outside. Some one had already built the fire in the Pyre. Fell and Kyle lowered her body into the Pyre and I heard the sizzle as the blood evaporated. I smelled the burning flesh, and then gripped Kyle’s hand, my guts wrenching at the scent, wanting to throw up. Fell handed me a pair of scissors. I closed my eyes and cut a lock of my hair off. I threw it into the fire. Ocarina would be remembered for a long time.

My Name Is Ebony. I Was Renamed Scar After My Father Cut Me And I Joined The Pack, A Commune Of Rowdy Homeless Kids. My First Friend There Showed me And My Brother Fell How To Survive. Our Leader Ocarina Taught us To Fight, Then I Killed Her To Save my New Family. I Am An Alpha Of The Pack. A Leader. A Fighter. An Alpha.

This book has 1 comment.

Anonymous said...
This is fantastic! All I'm going to say is that the names are a little odd and that makes it a little hard to follow, and at some points you capitalize to many words. Other than that, this is great!