The Ocean | Teen Ink

The Ocean

November 1, 2018
By taylortuerk, Dover, Massachusetts
More by this author
taylortuerk, Dover, Massachusetts
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

Theis piece portrays a my strong writing skills. I have a phobia of shark attacks so I had a vivid picture of what I was going to write about before hand.

The author's comments:

I feel like my second chapter is better than my first. 

Whoosh, the waves crashed and broke on the smooth, lustrous rocks. Jack rubbed the small white bar of wax on his neon yellow surfboard in the scorching hot weather. Gazing out into the ocean, he viewed other surfers sitting on their boards, watching the horizon. Finishing up, he propped his board on the rock wall and put his shiny wetsuit on. He walked down to the shore, hesitated before going into the water and let his toes barely touch the salty ocean water. Picturing himself riding a wave, he bent down and put his hand in the warm water. Slowly, he took a deep breath and plunged into the ocean water. He began the classic rotation of paddling, diving then rising to the surface to search for new waves. Turning around to check if anyone was surrounding him, his eye caught something, but he couldn’t tell what. Paddling toward it the water in front of him splashed. He turned to find a seal that was circling Jack as if it was playing with him. He laughed to himself.

After several hours in the water it was around three pm and he realized he was the only surfer at the beach. Jack wanted to ride one more wave. Paddling out catch one, he noticed there was one heading toward him. He then turned his board facing the beach and started to paddle. Unfortunately he missed it, but was determined so he scouted the horizon for another upcoming wave. He had to wait a couple minutes for another wave to form. Once he saw one, Jack started to ferociously paddle to catch it. Inches away from missing the wave he quickly stood up on the board. As he was riding the wave, something knocked into him. He tried to balance himself on the board but couldn’t and unsteadily landed in the water. Instantly he hit the water, where he was being twisted and turned by the vicious waves. One wave after another kept Jack down under the ocean water making him lose his breath. The waves passed by, and Jack quickly swam to the surface where he took a huge breath. While taking a couple more breaths, he looked around for his surfboard and swam toward it. Trying to get on his board he saw a shadow underneath him, he took a second look but it vanished.

Jack looked around him, confused at what he might have seen. Then, something splashed near him, startled by the noise he quickly jumped up on his board. Surprisingly, he was pulled under the surface before he could get fully onto his board and he felt something sharp pinching, and tugging at his leg. Stunned when he looked down, the hungry man-eating shark was shaking Jack continuously. He realized if he didn’t get the shark off of him he would lose his leg. Instantly Jack punched the shark in the nose, its sensitive spot, to make it ungrasp his leg. He punched the shark in the nose multiple times, but that just made the shark bitter. Instantly it plummeted into the ocean. The only thing he could do now was impulsively beat the shark until it unclamped its teeth from Jack’s shin. Jack threw punches left and right at the shark until it finally let go.

Jack swam to surface and fled as if he were a horrified cat, got to his board in a matter of seconds and lifted himself onto it. Once safe on the board he noticed there was a chunk missing out his leg, and if he didn’t wrap his leg with something he would die. His wetsuit would be the perfect thing to use, but he knew he wouldn’t be able to rip the material. When scouting for something to rip his wetsuit with, his eye caught something that was just barely above the surface of the ocean.

Worth a shot to check it out.

Jack then slowly turned himself onto his stomach and paddled consistently.

He was now about 10 yards from the object and he noticed it was the missing chunk of his leg along with a piece of wetsuit still attached.

I can use the piece of wetsuit.

As he paddled even closer to the shin and out of nowhere the shark popped up and grabbed it from the surface. “What do you want from me!,” Jack screamed. He now had to think of something else to use to get his leg to stop bleeding. Immediately something popped in his mind and instantly he scooched himself to the back of the surfboard where the leash was.

Perfect.

Jack grabbed the attached part of the leash and released it from the board. He propped himself up and tied it tight above the missing chunk. He secured the leash and glanced at the beach.

150 yards away, that’s way too far.

“I could make it if that shark would just move,” Jack says under his breath as he watches the shark’s fin go back and forth in between him and and beach.

Jack just decided to wait for the shark to move.

The author's comments:

I like how I wrote this chapter, how it have a lot of detail and descriptive words. 

An hour later the shark finally swam out of the path to the beach. Jack started paddling toward the land. He knew he could only get so far before the shark came back, so he wasn’t counting on going to far. He paddled but got stopped by the shark, and he had only gone about 15 yards.

“This is going to be a long process,” Jack sighed as he sat still on the board until he could paddle again.

After a while it was too dark for Jack to even see the shark so every once in a while he paddled to the beach for a minute and then stopped. Hearing a splash behind him and on either side of him made him freeze up with fear.

“Oh hell no!,” Jack screamed as he realized he was surrounded by multiple sharks wanting to rip him up to shreds.

He would only see a glimpse of a shark for about a second and then it would be gone. Jack was now only eighty yards from the shore, when he heard a faint noise in the distance… an engine. He saw a small white jeep drive across the sand, directly in front of him. There were four people in the car. Three of them got out of the car, got their surfboards and were heading out into the water. The other person stayed in the car and drove off. As he watched the car drive off he noticed the other three where already paddling in the water toward Jack.

“Hello!,” Jack screamed to the newcomers.

“Hello? Who’s there?,” one of them answered confused.

Jack was so ecstatic that he would get rescued that he forgot all about the sharks.

“Hey I just felt something under me,” a woman said.

Oh no.

Jack was going to warn them but he was too late. He heard screams and splashing. Jack assumed they were all dead until a woman popped up in front of his board. He helped her up and she went to the back of the surfboard. Again, Jack heard a faint sound and looked back to where the jeep had entered before and there, the jeep was driving back. The person got out of the car and the woman behind Jack screamed, “Jannet go get help, I’m with this guy on his surfboard and there are sharks, hurry!”.

The woman didn’t even say anything back she just got back into her car and drove away. They both hoped she heard her friends cries and raced to go get help. Jack looked back at the girl who was shaking and traumatized. Jack felt bad that he hadn't said anything earlier, if he did her friends would be alive and she wouldn’t be stuck in this situation with him. He looked back at the beach waiting for the jeep to come back, praying that he would be saved. After a while the jeep had still not made it back to the beach and their hope disappeared little by little. Jack was so hopeless he was even considering swimming to the beach, which he knew was impossible.

Another twenty minutes had passed and still no jeep. Jack was out of hope and really tired. When he was turning around, he fixed the expression on his face to a smile to make the girl feel less agitated. When he turned around fully he noticed she was gone. He rushed to the other side of the board where he saw tiny air bubbles in the water.

She must have gone in the water to end the misery,

Jack said watching the bubbles. He thought she might come back up but she never did, and the bubbles stopped. Now Jack was alone just like before.

No one is coming until the morning and by then I’ll be dead.

He only had one option of survival and that was if that jeep would ever come back to the beach.

Honestly she probably left to go back home, I might have to try and swim to shore.

He looked at the beach and to his surprise he saw lights… car lights! It wasn’t the jeep but at least there was someone else there that could help him. Jack was so ecstatic, he was finally going to get out of there. The car was still driving on the beach and he thought it was parking, but it in fact it was backing up to leave the beach.

“No stop, HELP,” Jack screamed after it.

“Please don’t go,” he whispered knowing the car was already out of sight and unable to save him.

  Jack was trapped, he couldn’t swim and couldn’t get help. He sat there on his surfboard for another half hour. Peering out into darkness, Jack caught the white jeep zooming down the beach in the corner of his eye. It was alongside a police car, an ambulance and a truck with a boat attached to it.

I am getting saved.

The police took the boat out in the water.

“Is there anybody out there?” yelled the police.

“ Yes I’m here,” Jack yelled back.

The boat turned toward the direction he was in. They stopped right in front of his surfboard staring at his leg. They then lifted him into the boat and brought him back to the beach. Jack got put into an ambulance and was rushed to the hospital. His leg was not savable and was amputated. When his injury healed, he got two prosthetic legs. One for everyday things like walking and running and a special one for surfing. He practiced standing up on his surfboard with his prosthetic leg everyday. Once he got used to standing up on a surfboard, he started joining competitions. He lost all of competitions in the beginning of his journey. He never stopped training, and had the drive to continue. One year after the attack, he won his first national competition. “If I could overcome that, I could overcome anything,” Jack said proudly to himself as he looked out into the ocean.  



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.