The vacation smoke | Teen Ink

The vacation smoke

By CaelV, Saumico, Wisconsin
CaelV, Saumico, Wisconsin

Author's note:

I hope all of you readers will get a feeling like you want to read more and be on the edge of your chair.

BOOOOOOOM. All I could see was a greenish smoke stuff. All I could remember was a loud noise like an explosion. We were in the car on my way to Florida. It was the first day of summer break and it was really hot and a beautiful day and i was ready for a vacation. but it all started going down hill, and fast.

"OOOOOOH SCHOOLS OVER ILL NEVER HAVE TO SEE THIS PLACE AGAIN." It was the last day of school and there were kids everywhere. I walked down the hallway and stopped to take a drink from the bubbler then to my locker. I went down to the office cause I was getting picked up and I said goodbye to one of the people In the office. She was my favorite cause we talked a lot when I was in there everyday. She said goodbye. I went home with my dad. When i got home my mom and dad sat me and my sisters down at the table.

"What is the meaning of this." I said as i sat down on the bench at our wood table.

"We're surprising you with a trip to Florida. Your sisters are staying at your grandmas so it will be just us. "My dad said.

We packed up quick and went to bed because apparently we were leaving in the morning. I quickly texted my friends and told them then went to bed.

I remember looking out the car window right before it happened. We were passing a old rusty looking shack, all of a sudden a loud boom and the car went flying back words doing flips. I opened my eyes despite all the pain making me close them. All I could see was blur and green smoke. The only thing I could make out was a telephone pole no more than 2 feet away. I could no longer even see the school. I heard a lot of screaming and car alarms going off. I knew there had been an explosion of some sort and with all the cars there would be high risk for more. But before i looked in the front and my parents looked passed out. It Was then that I realized the car was completely turned over on the top. I figured in the chaos of the explosion someone had called the police, so i turned on the radio and fiddle with the wheel thing to find if any channels were talking about it. While i was listening i looked out the windows that somehow didn't break in the crash. Green smoke all in the air. Just as i thought i wonder what it was the radio made siren noises and a female voice said, "Police broadcast alert not a drill". It was then a male voice came on and said something horrific.

" This is a alert to anyone in the suamico area by Howard suamico school all areas around police will be helping evacuate. This is not a drill, there has been a unidentified chemical released into the air, try to avoid contact with it and stay indoors.”

I tore a piece of my sweat shirt sleeve of and put it around my neck while I was thinking about how that alert reminded me of the movie purge. I took the sleeve and. Put it up to my nose i didn't know what the chemicals were or what they did but i didn't want to sit around, before I left i did the same to my parents. I quickly grabbed a small emergency hatchet from the back and a lighter. I got out of the car and tried to see. But only saw green smoke luckily it didn't hurt my eyes.

The sun was just starting to go down. I have made it into some this woods area. I took the hatchet I brought from the car and made a little shelter of sticks, trees, and leaves. It wasn't the most comfortable but it was something for the night. It also. Beat staying in that car. It was at that point I wondered how they were doing. I started getting lonely but all of a sudden I heard a small female voice calling out "Hello". I grabbed my phone and turned on the flashlight. I delicately got out of the little hut i made trying not to hit any thing or break it. It was pretty sturdy but i didn't know how much, I also didn't want to find out. I looked around but say nothing, I waited. All of a sudden a figure appeared.

"Hello." I said.

"Hey." A voice called it, definitely a girl.

As she stepped closer i saw she had Hair black at the top fading to blonde as it went down. She was tall and had brown eyes. I asked her what her name was. She replied with a soft.

"Charlotte what's yours." It almost sounded like she was whispering. I replied and said

"Archie, Are you hiding from something?"

"No, I'm just really scared and cold. Did you build this." Pointing at my fort.
I replied with a quite, "yes why".

"Just wondering."

I noticed her staring at the fort. I asked if she would like to stay in it for the night. She replied with a energetic loud

"yeah, thank you so much."

I asked her what she was doing out here and she told the story exactly like mine with the bomb. It was then i realized that she went to my school. It was hard to see with the phone light but i had started a fire with the emergency lighter from the car. When it got bright enough to see i said.

"Charlotte? Charlotte Parker?"

"yeah how'd you know my last name?" She looked up and said.

"ARCHIE!" She had recognized me we have a lot of classes together we got tired after talking for a while and decided to go to sleep.

When i woke up i stepped outside it was really weird looking. The sun had to be up because rays of light shone through all the green smoke. I could not believe it was still here. Since i was in the middle of nowhere and had no clue even about where i was i decided i should look for some food. But i didn't know what to do if i got lost. I looked at the ground an realized it was all dirt. I grabbed a stick and right before i left I wrote in the sandy dirt stuff BRB getting food. Trying to keep it as short as possible. I dragged the stick behind me so it would make a trail i could follow back.
It felt like i was walking for forever but finally i must have been at the edge of and apple farm I was trying to decide weather to look for the house or just take them but after a while i decided to just take a couple. I grabbed a few and made a basket with my sweatshirt and followed the trail back. I saw a faint light by the fort and assumed
Charlotte had started a fire, as i got closer I saw I was right.
I poured the apples out and asked her if she wanted one.
“No thanks.” She replied
“ suit yourself I'm starving.” I said
“Since when did you have black hair?” She energetically said.
“I don't, it must just be the smoke. My hair is brown remember we are in all the Same classes and you don't even know what i look like?” I said sarcastically with
a chuckle.
“No its like you said it's just the smoke.” She said sounding a little mad.
“I was just kidding.” I replied like it was historical.
“WAIT WHERE'S MY SWEATSHIRT!?” I frantically yelled. “ IT MEANS EVERYTHING TO ME!” Getting louder with every word. I turned around and saw it sitting right there perfectly fine and breathed a sigh of relief.
“ Why is it so important to you?” She said
“It's my all time favorite band and i love it.” She replied with a puzzled look.
“BRING ME THE HORIZON IS YOUR FAQVORITE? MINE TO” She yelled screamed so loud I wouldn't be surprised if people in Russia heard it. We talked on and on about other stuff we liked and munched on apples.

It's getting later and it's really hot out I also have no idea if we are going to ge anything else to eat besides apples. And some water would be super nice i’d cook it over the fire let it sit overnight and cool and then drink it I'd swim in it if it were a big enough source. I grabbed the same stick from earlier and returned to they farm to see if there was a well or something but when i found one not only did I find a wellialsofound its source. A huge pond. I was so excited but then i saw something weird move. I ducked behind a tree peaking out to see what it was. It came close. I could see what is was. It looked like a hazard suit from a video game my friend had. I could see his eyes through the goggle holes. He didn't see me through the fog.but then another one came, I heard them talking and stayed still as I could listening.

“See anyone” a deep grunty voice said.
“No” this time it was really shallow and I'm sure it was a girl.
“Well presidents orders are to not let anyone out.” The guy said in a grumpy annoyed voice.

Let no one out. Why ? how were we supposed to survive?

I walked back to the camp and told Charlotte about what I heard.

She was scared. She asked the same questions I asked myself.

I replied with a quite I don't know.