City of Gilde | Teen Ink

City of Gilde

February 5, 2018
By Anonymous

Author's note:

I was reading a few other things at the time that had made me start writing this. After that it became a school project for something. 

The author's comments:

This didn't really have any chapters. Its all one long thing but maybe at some point I might split it up. I also might change the title, I'm not sure yet. 

The perfect place. Everyone's the same. It kind of makes me laugh, honestly, then again I don’t live inside the “prefect city.” if the people inside that wall ever met me they wouldn’t like me all that much. Not that I care about what they would think about me. At least I'm not…..

“Jake!” Luke's voice calls.

“Hmm,” I hum, “Whats up?”

“Deer! There are some deer!” answers the blonde next to me.

“You messing with me?” I ask. He shakes his head quickly as he grabs my shoulder and turns me to look. No way, there haven’t been deer in years. I shift slightly to get a better look. A frown comes to my face as I watch the thin deer. My partner starts to reach for the knife on his hip, I catch his wrist before it gets too far. The deer bolts into the woods.

“Hey, what was that for? you scared it away!” he says angrily.

“ I didn’t do anything, you did.”  I reply.

“What, how?” He demands.

My reply is slow. “Ah, animals are very good at sensing bad intentions. When you looked at the deer like it was dinner it knew.”

His brow just kind of furrows. My words not really making any sense to him. Ah, that's fine I guess. He is still learning after all. “Let's go Luke.” I order lightly. He nods. His blond hair bobbing around his olive shaped face. He’s a fairly pale guy, and has got beautiful baby blue eyes. He isn’t as tall as me yet but Luke is getting there, after all he's is still young.

I head toward my tent as we get to our camp. “Mom” I hear Luke call as he runs to meet the woman he so much looks like with the blonde hair and blue eyes. I could feel her glare on my back as I slipped into my tent paying her little mind. Very few people in this camp like me anyways so it’s not much of bother. She's being doing it since she met me anyway.

Camp is moving out in the morning. I lay down on my blanket that covers the ground. I shift lightly as the ground digs into my back. Having a real bed would be nice, although I doubt I’d be able to fall asleep on it. I’ve been sleeping on the ground to long.

I roll over closing my eyes trying to get some sleep. All that happens though is bad memories came back.

Mom, Dad! I yell. We need to grab the kids and go! Now! please!
We’re coming hold on! Mom shouts back.

There isn’t any time to hold on! We need to go right now!”I say in a panic as I grab her hand and pull. Trying my hardest to get her to move. She wouldn’t budge as she waited for dad. I look around in paranoia, I look back at her.

Mom, come on! I yell. She turns to me and gives me a sad smile. It makes her look years older than she really is. I make a surprised sound in the back of my throat as she shoves me, tripping over my own feet I stare at her in betrayal as she runs back for my father. Why? She’ll die if she goes back there. I stand up slowly as the sky darkens with what looks like black clouds. I turn and make a break for it.

I wake with a start, panting lightly. I turn toward my tents opening. That's weird. I frown slightly as I stand. I raise my arms above my head in a stretch. I push the tent open and stare at the big empty lot in front of me.  You have got to be kidding me. They just ditched their best hunter. Thats’ a laugh and a half. Whatever I guess, might as well pack up and head out. I turn a yawn passing my lips. I enter my tent paying little mind to what's happening around me as I start to fold and stuff things into my bag. I roll my blanket filled with holes, shoving the fabric into my bag I head back outside of my tent. I glance around quickly before I start to pull my makeshift tent down. I roll the old blanket up as well before tying either end of the shabby fabric so it doesn’t unroll.

I stand up still holding the makeshift tent, leaving the wood I used to build it on the ground. I grab my bag moving to tie my tent to it. Dragging my fingers through my hair I look around again thinking about which way I want to head. Before I can really make up my mind I hear screaming for my right in the way I really don’t want to head. Now the question is should I help them? I don’t particularly want to get that close to the wall. I did warn them that would not be a wise decision. I told them that they would get attacked.

I guess I don’t have much choice in the matter. I head toward the screaming and yelling.

Moving through the foliage at a fairly fast pace. Avoiding tree branches and somewhat thorny thick brush. It a good twenty to thirty minutes before I come to a clearing where there are bodies lying about like they are asleep or resting. I grimace loosely these people didn’t deserve this. Even if they weren’t the best people themselves, after all in this world it's kill or be killed. Nobody really trusts anybody, every man for themselves.

I start looking for a mop of blonde hair. I catch a flash of blonde out of the corner of my eye, turning I walk toward the body. Crouching down beside the bundle I lightly grip its shoulder turning it over. A sigh leaves my mouth, not Luke then.

“Good, that's good. I hope anyway.” I say to myself. If they took him inside that wall then that's not a good thing. That's never a good thing, being inside that wall. Even if they did he should be fine they have a soft spot for blondes and anyone with rare eyes. Blue, green, red, silver, grey, purple, and amber, anything like that and they would normally treat you like your are the most special thing ever. Anyways time to go, I wasn’t really friends with any of these people anyway I was just a meal ticket.

I turn and head back the way I came. Once I’m back to the clearing I came from I keep heading straight before turning left and heading that way. I keep walking until the sky started to darken. I’ll have to stop in the next clear spot I find. I pause for a second, I have this feeling that something or someone is falling me. I look around as I start walking again. I swear somebody's following me. I push through some bushes, suddenly stumbling into a clearing. Just what I was looking for.

I set my backpack on the ground look around for some y shaped tree limbs, four or five feet long each. It seems to be my lucky day because I find another tree limb about 6 feet long.

“That should work.” I mutter to myself. “ Yeah, real sign of sanity there Jake!”. Man I need to stop talking to myself.

I start heading back to the clearing I found earlier. Digging deep narrow holes about five and a half feet apart, grabbing the two y shaped sticks. I shove them into the two holes I dug covering the bottom of the stick in the ground, grabbing the 6 feet long stick putting it in the “y” of the other sticks. Making it look like an enlong gated triangle. I drag my backpack closer to me and grab the blanket off the top of my backpack where I had tied it earlier. Unrolling it I start to pull the blanket over the stick foundation.

I slip into my tent pulling my bag with me. After about twenty minutes I lay down to try to sleep, or at least make it look that way. I relax, making my breathing even out, faking sleep. After about another twenty or so minutes I hear shuffling outside my makeshift tent. I keep my eyes closed even as I hear the shuffling of my tent being opened.

“Hmmm. You know you seem a little too smart for your own good.” mutters the mystery guy. What the hell is he talking about? I haven’t even done anything yet all I did was make a tent. Oh, maybe from when I stopped earlier? That doesn’t mean anything thing though. I keep my eyes closed as he leans a little ways into my tent.

“Do me a favor? Do not go anywhere kid, I will be back soon,” he says.

Oh boy, just what I want! I keep up my charade of sleep as he walks off. I hear him pushing through the underbrush as he leaves. Maybe I can get out of here now. I gather all my stuff as fast as possible before moving in a completely different direction than before, hoping to keep him of my trail.

My luck stays around for a few days, which honestly isn’t that great seeing as barely two days later they are back on my tail. Lucky me it's the middle of the day and all my stuff is packed up, letting me make a good break for it when I hear them smash through the underbrush. Real stealthy. I know I can’t out run them forever. I’m only a few hours ahead of them if even that.

“Come on kid you can not run forever, we will get you sooner or later!” he calls out.

“Mmmm doesn’t sound creepy at all buddy.” I say sarcastically.

Honestly though I’m surprised that they haven’t given up yet. I mean it's almost been five days. I know for sure they normally would have given up by now, it doesn’t make any sense. I’m not anything special so I really don’t get it. Anyways I don’t think I’m going to stop for the night. The chance of them getting me is way too high. Although with the things that are out here it might not be the smartest thing to do. Monster or man, hard choice honestly. I think I would take monsters any day though, including when it come to humans. 

I shake my head lightly, “Let's not go there Jake.” I say to myself.

Making up my mind I decide to travel through the night. Not the best idea on my part seeing as I have slept through most of the day. Which mean any progress I made during the night has been lost. Great. Just what I need. I sit up looking at the dead trees that surround me. I tense as I hear footsteps behind me. I turn my head slowly, my eyes locking with a man who looks to be around six foot or taller, dark skin, and glowing amber eyes. He wore a long light blue tunic that was without sleeves and white baggy pants. Well that's not good.

“Hey kid, thought I told you not to move.” I notice that his voice is deep but surprisingly soft. Huh didn’t notice that before. He gives me a surprisingly gentle smile. Is that normal?  

“Well, I don’t think you talking to people who are sleeping is going to work.” I say in a snarky way.

“Sarcastic thing, are you not?” he says back. I just stare at him.

“Well if you don’t mind  I should really get going,” I say after a minute or so.

I slowly start to back away, leaning over to grab my bag. I really don’t want to fight this guy. I’ve never been much of a fighter anyways. He just stands there watching me, good enough, I turn and bolt. I hear him chase after me. Damn, why won’t the just leave me alone. I can hear him catching up, I barely managed to dodge as a Bo files over where my head was. I roll away from him and his Bo. I have the worst luck, honestly. We both check each other for weapons he only seems to have his ridiculous stick.

“No weapons?” he asks.

“That's better than a glorified stick” I snap back.

He shuffles closer.

“I see. I never got your name.” he replies, no anger in his voice. “ I am Arlin,” giving a small bow.
  
“Jake.” I say back, “ Look, I’m not interested in a fight, just let me leave.”

“I’m not looking for a fight either, just want to talk is all,” he replies.

“So that's why you and your people have been following me for the last half week right?” I ask.

He has a mildly surprised look on his face. Yup, totally noticed that buddy. We continue to stare each other down. He steps closer to me again, I move back a step. He keeps it up and eventually my back hits a tree. Arlin is about a step away from me when he stops.

“I just want to talk to you about joining our city.” Arlin finally says.

I can’t help the laugh that spills out of my mouth. “Your kidding, right!”

He stares at me for a second “Is that so hard to believe?”

“Very.” I reply, my face suddenly blank. “I’m not interested even if you are being honest so I’m gonna go now.”

I side step around him and start to walk away. I really don’t want anything to do with that city. It's one of the worst places to be. Like I said I’d take monsters over them anyday. I make a surprised sound as Arlin swings that stupid stick at me again. I duck and roll away. I look up at him from my crouched position as glare pulling at my face.

“Sorry, I can not take no for an answer,” he says.

“Yeah? Why's that?” I ask as I jump away from another swing aimed for my stomach. It’s not a surprise when he doesn't answer me. Instead he just keeps swinging at me, pushing me back. Kind of like he's leading somewhere. Alrin seem completely confused when I suddenly stop for the next swing of his weapon. I bring my arms up to defend my head. It connects hard and I grunt in pain, before he can regain his composure I grab the end of the Bo closest to me and pull.

“I told you I didn’t wanna fight!” I say a glare on my face as I without warning shove on my end of the Bo. I watch with mild satisfaction as if smacks into his face. I know his people are close so I turn and head deeper into the woods. Before I even get two steps away I feel a stinging sensation on the side of my neck. I reach up and pull a small dart out of my neck, really that's not even fair. I go to walk forward but another hits me in the leg. I pull it out to, my vision being eaten away by black dots. It will either kill me or knock me out.  I fall to my hands and knees. I end up on my back, I’m not sure how I got there. I tilt my head and can barely see Arlin walking toward me. My consciousness leaves me.

Slowly I blink my eyes open. I just lay there for a few minutes to get my bearings. I finally look around the room I’m in, seems to be a hospital or medical room. Ah they really did drag me back into the city. I don’t know how I’m going to get out of this one, I’ll have to think on it I guess. I move to push myself in a sitting position, My hands barely move apart. Come on! Why did they have to shackle me.

Finally, I manage to get into a seated position. I hear someone make a startled sound, turning I see a woman dressed in all white with red hair and purplish eyes staring.

“Y...You're awake!” she stutters. “I'll be back in a moment please don’t move!”

I watch after he as she hurries out of the room. Um, ok then. I wait a moment before I stand up, my world tilts dangerously. It take another few moments before the wave of dizziness passes. Wondering around the room seems like a good Idea so that's what I start to do. They have all sort of goodies, gauze, medical tape, casts, rubbing alcohol, antibiotics, and things for surgery. They really are…

“That's not possible, he shouldn’t be awake with that amount of tranquilizers in his bloodstream.”  Somebody says, I vaguely realize it as Arlin.

“Be that as it may he who ever he is awake!” The woman says in annoyances.  The door opens and they both step into the room.

“I told you not to move sir!” She says as she moves over to check on me. She reaches out to touch me but i step back.

“Don’t touch me! Please... Also don’t call me sir I’m not that old” I snip at her. She jerks away from my nasty tone.

“No need to be rude’’ States Arlin. I glare at him.

I raise my hands, “Mind?” I ask, he stares at me, “Come on. I’m already here it’s not like I'm going anywhere.”

Alrin just stand and looks at me, “I’m afraid I can’t do that.”

Of course he can’t, whatever I don’t care anymore. I stalk back the the bed I had been placed on and sat down. I flop onto my back and the roll to where I’m facing the wall and not the people behind me. I fall back into a restless sleep.

*****

I do not understand why I am being sent outside the wall to find the enemy. He was seen outside the wall and the Prince demand that he be recruited and brought inside the wall. Walking these woods at night isn’t safe, yet the prince forced me to drag my men out here. I myself am not a good tracker, however I do have a few men on my team that are. Tracking this man was surprisingly easy. We did have an unfair advantage, the men guarding the wall saw the way he was headed.  It had been almost five days when I get up close with the guy.

I had my men stay back a different clearing. I find him sleeping on his side in his hand made tent. I crouch beside the tent looking in at him.

“Do me a favor? Do not go anywhere kid, I will be back soon.” I say. Not that he can hear me, he’s asleep. I stand up, turn and head back to camp. I gather my men and lead them back to the clearing I was just at. It couldn’t have took more than a hour to get to my camp and then back here. He must have been awake. I glance around the empty cleaning.

“Alice.” I call out. Immediately I hear soft footsteps coming my way.

“Yeah?” she asks.

“Have the group head back. I’ll need you to come with me, do not leave with them.” I replied without looking at her. She nods her head before moving off to do as I told her. When Alice rejoins me I start to follow the fresh footprints the kid left behind. He does not seem like he is trying to hide the direction he has gone. It takes a few more days before I see him again. He is working on taking down his tent.

“Is that him?” asks Alice. I nod as I watch him. “Maybe you should try talking to him before we do anything to crazy.” I nod again. I stay in place as my second in command moves to a high vantage point. I finally move forward as he puts the last of his things into his bag. I make sure I am loud enough that he hears me. He swivels around as soon as he hears me. An electric blue eyes stares at me, the other is cover by pitch black hair that reaches past his shoulders. Thing get a little out of hand when he continues to try and run.

A quiets sigh leaves my lips as I stare at the now unconscious kid. I fold my Bo backup and slide it into its holster on my lower back. The trip back to the city is not going to be easy with an unconscious body. I hear Alice moving around in the underbrush trying to make her way to me. I crouch and roll the teenager over, I pull his arm over my shoulder and pull him up. Well he is lighter than he looks, concerningly so.   

It doesn’t take long getting back to the city. I take him to the medical center. 

I was surprised when the nurse came to fetch me a day after I brought the kid in. I walked beside her calmly as she talked about his condition. I told her there is no way he should be awake. Alice used large amounts of tranquilizer on him. I open the door, my eyes meet a cold electric blue one. He glares at me the whole time I stand in the room. Until he lays down and turns away. He is odd.

****
I slowly blink my eyes open again, looking around the room. I notice the white clothes sitting in the chair next to the bed, a grimace pulls at my face. I roll onto my back, staring at the roof. Turning my head as I look at the door that slides open. The nurse seems surprised I’m awake again.

“I’m not going to wear those clothes.” I tell her. She just stares at me. I sit up and she blinks rapidly. “Where are my clothes?” I ask.

“I I, they are being thrown away.” She stutters out. Oh no they aren’t.

“Get me my clothes before I do something everyone regrets!” I snap. She scrambles out of the room rather quickly. When she returns she is holding my clothes. I stay where I am, I lift a brow at her. Slowly she walks closer, she finally hands me my old worn black clothes.

I pull on my shirt, “Thank you.”, I say. The nurse or doctor whatever she is make a surprised sound behind me.

“What? Don’t think I have manners?” I ask as I turn to look at her. She's staring at me again.

“I… Yes actually that is exactly what I thought.” she answers. I glare at her. Well then aren't you just a peach. I finally stand up fully dressed a yawn passing my dry lips. I glance at the door. Mmm can I make a run for it. Ah man I don’t think so.

“I was talking to you!” a voice says. I turn my head to look at the lady.

“Huh oh I was lost in thought.” I say. She glares at me the soft edges of her face sharpening with her displeasure.

“My name is Ava, nice to meet you.” she says.

“Names Jake, same to ya.” I reply.

I glance at the door again. I look back at her she seems to have noticed my train of thought.

“Please stay here wehile I go get Arlin.” she says. I sigh, I don’t want to talk to him. I walk over to the window look out of it. There is a large courtyard within stands a fountain of an angle with its face covered by it hands. Cracks cover run along his forearms to his shoulders, they disappear under his gown. The white wings are missing pieces and are covered in cracks to. My eyes travel over the pillars that help hold up the second floor. Most of the pillars have a mix of red and white rose running up and down them. There are people milling about the round courtyard with moss covered cobblestone. I turn faster than I mean to when I hear the door open.

Arlin stood in the doorway with Ava, looking at me like I might bite.

“You are awake.” Arlin says. I lift a brow.

“Thank you for stating the obvious!” I reply.

“The prince wishes to meet you.” He says. I grumble to myself. Pros and cons Jake, what would they be. Pro if I go peacefully I would get to know the new layout of the city. Con if I fight I'll still have to meet this prince. What to do, what to do. Tough choice, but I guess either way I can't avoid this meeting.

“Alright fine, I'll meet your prince.” I snap sarcastically.

“This way then” replies Arlin a cold look in his unusual eyes. I glare back at him, he turns and heads out the door. I follow on silent feet, he turns to see if I’m following, I almost walk into him. He keeps walking, I keep following.

This hospital because that's what it is, is way bigger than I thought. The halls are fairly long. The walls are warm cream colors that blend together well. It makes the place feel welcoming and safe, It makes me more tense. They aren’t many people here though. There are doctors and nurses scattered around though. They are a few patients but I only see four or five all together.

The light is bright when we make it outside, I cover my eyes squinting. I’m aware of Arlin stopping a few feet in front of me well while my eyes adjust.I bring my hand away from my face and look around.Wow…… There are way more people here then I remember there being. Then again….

“Ready to move?” Arlin asks. I glance at him before nodding. He started walking again. The whole city is alive with people. A surprising mix of bright, dull, and colorful clothes. They are people bickering and others joking smiles on their faces, it put a scowl on my own. Shops lined the streets sale or trading a variety of things. Fabric, clothes, paint, pencils, foods, and much more. It’s fairly easy to tell when we grow closer to the Castle? Is that a castle?

I guess.

More people start filling the streets. I move closer to Arlin because at least I know what to expect of him so far, beside he doesn’t seem like a liar and the others all have to stare at the outsider. I twitch, I hate being stared at, makes me uncomfortable.

The Halls of the castle are just as beautiful as everything else in this city. White marble, and gold cover a lot of the walls and pillars. Paints hang on the walls. I really don't wanna be here.

There are guards at the large engraved double doors. They glance at us but pay little mind to us otherwise. Arlin pushes the doors open. I tense even more as we move into the throne room. In here is just as pretty as the halls outside.

“I honestly thought I would never see you again.” a voice says.

“Yeah well that's kinda what I was going for” I snap back.

“Come now Jake you don’t have to be so mean” he replies.

“I’m hoping if I’m mean enough that you won’t try to brainwash me.” I say. He just smiles at me. Arlin is looking at me, a confused look on his face.

“I don’t know what you are talking about. Come here though, your family misses you.” He replies. Nope not happening.

“Nah I'ma stay right here.” I say back

I’m well aware of a beautiful blonde women coming into the room from a side door with a man who has the same color of hair as do all of their children. I refuse to look at them.

“Come now my darling son.” The beautiful blond woman says. I stand there for a second before I turn and make a break for one of the large open windows. Everyone's a little to surprised to try and stop me. I stumble out of the curtain onto a balcony.

“Jake!” Arlin says “Stop!”

I glance over my shoulder at him. Sorry man. I jump on the balcony and look at a roof under me. I jump right as a hand cuts through where I had skid to a halt. I land on the roof in a crouch, looking up at Arlin, I give a half-hearted wave. I stand running and jumping to the next roof.

Honestly it's a pain trying to run from a bunch of guards, but I’m very adamant about not hanging out in this city for longer than I have to.

It takes me way too long to realize my mistake.

I should have expected this. I glare at the large industrial looking building in front of me. I glance over my shoulder to the people following me. Might as well get it over with. I bush one of the doors open. It takes me a second to notice that all of the colors on the walls are the same as the hospital.

I wonder down the hall. I don't dare push the door lining the halls, I don't wanna know what's behind them. There aren't any numbers or sing say where I am. I turn a corner slowly glancing all around me, no one. Creepy. If I go back though I know they're outside the doors.

I find a dead end, I spin in a circle a sigh leaving my mouth. I head back the way I came, finding a pair of double doors. I take a deep breathe, just get it over with Jake! C`mon wouldn't be anything you have seen here before.

I push the doors open and immediately regret it. The smell of sickness and pain is incredibly strong but that doesn't bother me as much as what lines the walls. Tubes filled with purples, blue, reds, and greens. I grimes with distaste and a slight hate. In a few bodies float. Eyes closed in a peaceful sleep.
I can hear them coming.
Pushing through the next set of door I break into a run. I find some stairs leading to the roof. I make it but slide to a halt, clever. Arlin stands on the roof his Bo resting in his hands. They tricked me into coming up here.

“Let's make this easy on everyone, give up.” Arlin says.

“Do you even know what's happening here?” I ask.

He glares a questioning look on his face. Alright, I'll show him. I back track, he follows. I hide in one of the side rooms waiting. I hear his  footsteps coming closer, others start mixing with his. Arlin goes to pass by me but I grab his arm and yank him toward me. I slap my hand over his mouth, his eyes widen. The other footsteps pass us.

I drag him out of the corner and back toward the room with all the tubes. A startled noise passes his lips when we get there.

“What is this?” He asks.

I stare at him, “You honestly don’t have clue do you.” I say back. He honestly looks so very confused. So he really don’t know what they do down here.

“I’m surprised that Amir wouldn’t tell you. Man that's a good one.” I laugh.

“Our king has nothing to lie about!” Arlin snaps.

“Really then why don’t you know about his pet project .” I greature around. “He’s a liar and a manipulator. He’ll brainwash everyone that come into these walls. You, me and every women, man, and child. Amir doesn’t care about any of us. We’re all a means to an end. I was like the rest of you once. I had everything I wanted to. The perfect life. I also had what I wanted most, my family. I thought they had died. One thing I’ve learned though Arlin is that perfect, perfect is too good to be true.”

“No you are lying!” Arlin says.

“What do I get but lying to you?” I ask, “I don’t have anything thing to lose man. I’ve already lost everything. It's up to you if you believe me or not. I’ll still leaving this city one way or another! If you won’t help me get out of my way!”

“Explain this to me then.” He say gesturing to the room, “Then we’ll see what happens.” I sigh, alright fine have it your way.

I explain it to him. How everyone in these walls are being controlled by the properties of a really strong plant. When it's broken down it can make people easier to control, make them more compliant to their leader's whims. How when this city was first made it was complete chaos centered in one place, a place for human. The best way they could get it to settle was by using this odd plant. It only started to grow after the war had happen. The radiation leaving oddities behind.

They glowed in different colors.

“Don’t you think it's weird how people just disappear, or how there are mandatory shots for no reason? Why those shots are glowing bright miss colored liquids? Isn’t it weird how nobody questions anything ever? You don’t have to believe me Arlin, but like I said, I will leave this city dead or alive.” I say. I make a annoyed noise in my throat when a needle slides into my neck. I grab the nurse lady by her arm and tug her in front of me.

“Move.” I say something dark in my tone.
“You do not have a weapon.” Arlins replies as he pulls his weapon.

“Do I really look like I need one?” I ask. Our eyes lock over her shoulder. I pull the needle out of my neck. I glance down at it. A mix of color swirls in it. Red, purple, blue and green.

“Let me go Jake.” The nurse lady says. I grimace as my muscles try to loosen on me.

No, no way.

I tighten my hold. Sorry but it ain’t happening. I look back up at Arlin, our eyes locked. It take me a second to notice he's completely relaxed.  He may have his weapon out but he doesn’t want to fight me. I shift pulling her along in front of me. She’s tenses realizing I’m not gonna let her go. I move us until I’m in front of the door, Arlin opposite to us. A group shoves through the door behind him. I grin as he steps closer. I shove the body in front of me into him. He catches her, both go tumbling. I turn and book it through the door and it a cat and mouse game again.

It take me a few to realize it but they aren’t on my trail. It takes me even longer to realize why they haven’t found me. It appears he took my words to heart. Arlin lead them astray. he doesn’t bother looking for me.

I don’t do the same thing I did to get out last time instead I stay in the city, acting as a civilian. It takes a few day but I walk out the front gate with a group that's going out to scavenge.

It's dark when I slip away into the inky blackness surrounding us.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.