the battle of peleliu | Teen Ink

the battle of peleliu

By dylanovert11, dexter, Michigan
dylanovert11, Dexter, Michigan

Author's note:

one of a kind and i like war stories 

William Edwards journal

When I joined the marines I had no idea that it was going to be this difficult. By the time we got off the bus we were already getting yelled at. But after the first two weeks it started to get easier, The running slowed down along with the yelling now we mostly just shoot and practice survival. We asked why we need these skills and are drill sergeant told us that we would be going into the jungles of the islands in the pacific. He said that those island’s
Have hundreds of ways to get killed like poisonous plants, dangerous animals the weather and the bugs. So we trained for 14 weeks and finally we go deployed. The told us we would be heading into a terrible island in the middle of nowhere. To take a small airfield, we were never told it was going to be bad. They just told us that it would only take a day to push through the small island. But for some reason I thought they were lying, and I was right.
They woke us up told us we would be sending the boats forward to scout and that we would need to be ready by 0700. Then the alarm went off the japs sent bombers and kamikaze pilots to try and take us out. But they had no idea that we had air support on the aircraft carrier 2 clicks behind us. The ship captain sent a alert to the carrier and they sent 13 planes right away. They mad all of us come up and watch the japs get ambushed as they came at us. The 13 planes demolished the 20 jap bombers and all of the kamikazes retreated back to the airstrip. We are told that we would be attacking now so we began to arm up i had my rifle until my srg came by telling me that i'm now the squads radio man. That means that now i'm calling in bombing runs from the planes then artillery from the ships. So we got ready to load up on the higgins boats. Aka landing boats, we began to load up when our ships just started opening fire of the japanese positions.it was constant fire until our light to go whent green and we deployed we had men puking everywhere then we began to have artillery fire on us. Bombs where dropping left and right one was so close that it made everyone's ears ring so badly we could hear a goddamn thing. Then the boat driver screams “30 seconds, god be with ya”. We didn't know whether the japs bunkers on the beach where even occupied because the air force bombed them for 8 hours straight. So we got ready and the gat on the front of the boat dropped and 5 guys immediately dropped dead from machine gun fire. I jumped out of the side of the boat into the water but I didn't realize that the water was so deep we all swam 15 feet before we could walk. It was even harder with bullets whizzing past and bombs exploding right next to us. We finally made it to the beach my srg said that we needed to get to the treeline.The air force bombed little bunkers in front  for us to hide in so that's where we needed to go. So we did we would wait for the machine guns to reload then we would move. By the time we got to the bunkers we had already lost 40 men. But we got there and the japs had men hiding in there so we decided just to bomb the bunkers and when the smoke makes it hard for the japs beyond the bunkers to see we would charge them and take the second row of bunkers. So they threw the smoke on top of one of the bunkers and the bombers just completely flattened the area and as soon as the smoke came up we charged they had no idea that we were coming. Until we were right on top of them we had our bayonets on and we jumped into the trenches. I was first one in they weren't there, but that's what they wanted us to think they waited till we were in the trenches and they charged. We were outnumbered 15 to 1 and just as they got to us our tankes came. Ripping them to shreds there was 15 of our tanks just putting all they had into the japs. They finally started to retreat and our tanks could not follow them into the jungle. We followed them and shot them down then we followed the last one all the way to the airfield and we had to stop. There was so many japanese soldiers that we weren't even going to try to attack them without support. So we waited

Joseph blazkowicz journal                    
I joined the united states navy after my parents kicked me out. My parents hated me, I would never help them with the illegal drugs that they sold to the local . When they got caught selling the drugs they blamed it all on me that ended me up in prison for 6 years. And when I got out I couldn't find a job anywhere because of my criminal background. So I decided to join the navy, I didn't understand that joining the navy was going to so difficult. When wh got to the damn base it was hot and humid They told us thaT the climate here was the same as on the islands in the pacific and we instantly knew this was going to suck. Are training started with 4 weeks of conditioning, followed by months of classroom work and learning how ships work. Then they told me that i was going to be stationed at pearl harbor. My new job at pearl harbor was to clean and fix the the battery cannons. Those things where big enough to shoot out a 2700 lb shell miles from the ship. And my job was to make sure they were cleaned and ready to fire. But when the time came my job was to take the coordinates from our men on the ground and shoot at those coordinates. So basically my job was to drop warheads on foreheads. I woke up to the sounds of planes flying over. Everybody said that it was the air force practicing but I looked out the window and saw zeros bombing our ships in the harbor we all jumped up and started freaking out we had no idea what to do until they said over the pa “ this is not a drill we are being attacked this is not a drill” that's when we knew for sure this was no joke. We all scrambled into are stations i had no choice but to man the aa gun and shoot these a-holes out of the sky. I had no idea how to shoot the aa gun i was taught Ijust

I was only 18 when I shot down my first jap. It was during the battle of pearl harbor I shot down 4 zeros before the attack was over. And i will never forget that day I lost three of my best friends. That's when I knew that we were going to go to war with japan. I was told that i was going to be put on the biggest aircraft carrier that the united states has. They said that we wouldn't fight a lot of jap planes. But we would take a lot of attacks from flack guns and anti air. None of us liked the sound of that because we were taught that anti air can be more dangerous. We knew for a fact that one out of the thirty of us would be shot down, at the least. And alot of us knew we would be used in bombing runs. We knew that it wasn't going to be fun. We just got orders from the general and he surprised us when he said that we are attacking japan now. And told that we would be shipping out tonight for the island of peleliu.
So we began to get ready we grabbed our things and began to pack. we had no idea how long we would be gone for. So we packed everything, until the srg cam in and told us one bag only and we could even fit half of our things in one bag. So I packed all of my clothes and my rifle. I didn't  think I would need my rifle but if i get shot down i'm gonna need it. We got there and immediately we were told to load the plans and go on a bombing run and my job was to protect those bombers and that's what we did those planes bombed the s*** out of the jap bunkers so our boys could charge. But then we saw hundreds of them running into the jungle before our boys started their charge we tried to let them know but we couldn't. And they charged into the enemy bunkers but they wherent there