In to the light | Teen Ink

In to the light

Author's note:

My class

Claire arrived quite early at Chipotle. She had been planning on meeting her friends at 6, but she got hungry and went ahead. As she always said, “you gotta do what you gotta do”. So, she placed her books down on the metal table and walked to the line. It was rather long because of the Halloween deal, “3 dollar burrito or bowl”, but she didn’t mind because she enjoyed seeing everyone’s costume. She purchased a burrito obviously. “More bang for your buck,” she thought to herself as she walked back to her stuff. She ate her meal rather quickly, scrolling through memes to pass the time, as she had another 20 minutes before her friends arrived.
With ten minutes left, she went to the bathroom. Occupied. “S***,” she mumbled under her breath. But at the same time, the door opened. Out walked a man who was at least 6’5.  Despite the black mask on his face, he looked as if he had just come from work. He was wearing a navy blue suit and tie, with a formal pair of dress shoes. “Sorry,” Claire mumbled. She forced a fake smile as she tried to walk around the giant to use the restroom. As she passed he said,
“QE-10.”
The words hit Claire like a truck. She froze as if she was a dear in headlights. Her mind was racing. “Did he say QE? No. I must of heard it wrong. Who is this man? How did he know I was here?”. Millions of questions flowed through her mind, but she knew they all had a link. Her mind returned to the same point each time, “Alberta.” She unfroze, not more than a couple seconds had passed, but she knew what she had to do. Claire looked up at the man who stood in front of her, and threw a punch. She was sure it would hit him, and when it did, she would run. She wasn’t safe here anymore. But she could sense something was up. “Why hasn’t he reacted yet.” Her fist was nearing his face, but the man didn’t seem to flinch at all. Not even a flutter of his eyelids under that black mask. The instant before Claire’s fist made contact with his face, he disappeared.
“What?” She could think of nothing. It all didn’t make sense. “Did he teleport,” Claire thought to herself as she stopped herself from the momentum of the punch. “NO.” She had realized too late; she could sense him behind her. “He’s that fast? That shouldn’t be possible.” She stood still, knowing it was over. She could feel the enormous pressure he was giving off. She wasn’t escaping this time. She closed her eye.
“Heaven’s Light: Scathe”
In an instant, the restaurant became incredibly hot. But it wasn’t her who got hit. She turned around as quickly as possible. “What the f***”. It was the only thing she could think of. Standing to the left of where the man was, was a different man. He was tall and blonde. His arm was out straight, and in front a gigantic beam of light was coming out in the direction of where man in the black mask was. Everything hit by light was instantly disintegrated. Claire stood still, trying to piece together what happened. “Light, palm. Did the man in the black mask get hit? He could have dodged it? No he would have shown himself by now. Is he alive then? Hope not, man tried to kill me. So did blondie save me?” Her mind was still racing when the light stopped coming. She looked at the destruction it caused. 10 holes appeared where the light struck buildings. At the end, she could see the black masked man starting to stand. “Man can’t he just die, like-“  Her thought was interrupted because the blond man grabbed her.
“Come on,” he said, “we’re leaving.” They raced out of the store and in to the street. They hid in the crowd, moving slowly forward. She stayed silent as she followed him, “better than being killed,” she thought. Eventually they reached a jet black car. Something you would transport a president in.
“In” he said.
“Yeah no, I think I’ll pass,” Claire said.
“You can come with us, or you can face black mask guy again. I promise to explain in the car.”
“Fine,” Claire said getting in. He was right, she didn’t want to see black mask man. Her chances of survival were better with him.
“I’m surprised, I thought it would take more convincing to get you to come” he said as he got in to the back. She concluded that there must be someone else driving in the front. “After QE attacked I thought my job would become a lot harder. You’re pretty trusting- “
“If you wanted to kill me you could have done it easily. I doubt I would have survived that blast. Similarly, if you wanted to simply kidnap me, knocking me out and taking me by force would be easier than trying to convince me to like you. For you it would have been easy. It’s clear that you need me alive and right now that’s good enough for me.” Claire said cutting him off. Hearing QE always put her on edge.
“Well I should get started,” He said. “My names Alex Reiner, nice to meet you” he said putting his arm out for a hand shake. She took his and shook it as he continued. “There’s a government program, ‘CP’, that is used to fight against domestic and international threats, like the man you saw today. He’s from QE, which I already mentioned. I can’t go in to details to what they are about, since its classified, but if you join us you’ll learn more about them.”
“CP? I’ve only heard about it in conspiracy threads. Some elite group that works for the government and had been stated to have ‘magical powers’.” She hated to admit it but he did have the magic, or something. “Join?” she asked.
“Every year the 5th year cadets, me, are sent out to go recruit potential agents. We get the information about who from higher ups, and then we attempt to recruit them. Most join since, the higher ups make sure each candidate has a high likely hood of saying yes.”
“Woah. They’ve looked in to me. Do they know about Alberta.” She thought as the tires screeched to a stop. He opened the door. “Are we here” she thought.
“Well I can’t take you any farther without knowing if you’ll join. So, you can leave and potentially run or you could come with us and learn how to fight,” he said.
Claire paused. Today was strange. Everything happened so quickly that she hadn’t had any time to think. The idea of having powers excited her and she could use her influence later the find out more about what happened leading up to Alberta. But she wasn’t sure she wanted to fight. She had faced death earlier and wasn’t sure she wanted to do it again. She closed her eyes once more and slammed the door shut. “I’ll join” she said.
“Good.” Alex said. “Well you heard the lady, let’s go back to D.C.” he said. The car started rolling again. She looked out the window and saw the city pass by.
“Good Bye” She thought to herself as she fell asleep.