SINGH AND CO: Lion Ring | Teen Ink

SINGH AND CO: Lion Ring

By swishinghoshst3, Ann Arbor, Michigan
swishinghoshst3, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Author's note:

I was inspired by the game of boxing which is an intense game to write this piece with several plot twists.

The crowd chanted my name. I threw my boxing gloves out into the stands. Some fans tried catching it. I am a boxer, one of the best, or no the best in the whole world. Even better than the legendary, Muhammad Ali. The guy I faced was probably one of the best I had ever faced but I treated him like a piece of cake. I had knocked him out with a straight jab right at the nose.
He got up slowly and said, “Good game.”
“Good game?” I snickered. “Even though you were better than the others, you’re still no match for me.

The crowd died down. The announcer said as loud as he could, “AND THE WINNER OF THIS YEAR’S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS FOR THE TENTH TIME IN A ROW…. ADITYA SINGH, OF DUBAI, UAE!”
The crowd screamed and lifted banners my most famous quote, “Singh is King.” Flashes of white blinded  me. The whole stadium was chanting my name, Aditya. The judges brought in the World Championships Trophy. I shook my hand and took the trophy. Another trophy to add up in my house, I thought to myself. I felt pity for the kid who just lost so I just gave him the trophy with a fake-smile.
“Thanks”. The words came out of his sore mouth. I just rolled my eyes and left the stadium.
On the drive home back to Dubai from Abu Dhabi, I got a call from my grandpa who complimented me for winning the championship again. I replied with a “ Yes we won again, but I really wish I could get a real challenge.” “That will come one day” said my grandpa with a hopeful voice. When I approached Sheikh Zayed Road (highway) I ended the call. I closed the windows and turned on the cold, chill AC.
It took me a good 30 minutes to arrive home at the Palm Jumeirah(tree shaped island). After I parked my car, I was astonished to see my family eagerly waiting for me on threshold while holding a cake for me to cut. Some sweets for me to relish. I cut the cake. The cake was a chocolate flavour, my favorite. I entered home and described how  I crushed my opponent who was sponsored by a group called DOJO.
“I hit some jabs, and then one on the nose and he was out, just like that” I said.
“So tomorrow back to business huh?” asked my Uncle.
I replied with a quick ecstatic yes. Along with being a boxer I was a businessman. I worked in the family business. Our company was the most popular in the whole world, called KINGH. I established this business at the age of 13 after dropping out of high school in Dubai to help support my family's income for daily life. After the formation of the most successful business in the world, my family stepped in to help on the day the company was made. In the first two years our company reached a high peak and from then on it has never stumbled.  Within the next 5 years the company was already making millions and our family had moved from Bur Dubai(old and poorer part of Dubai) to the Palm Jumeirah(richer part of Dubai). Millions of people invest in our stock and have never been ripped off. For the next 10 years I have been working as the CEO of our business and as a boxer. SINGH has been a company that has helped several companies rise higher such as Emirates Airlines, Apple and Samsung.
My mom, grandma, and aunt made some really good Indian dishes like paneer, dosa, doi mach and my favorite appetizer, pakora. I savored the delightful taste of the Indian food after just drinking water throughout the whole competition. My uncle and I played some FIFA on the PS4 and League to relax after a hard day’s work.
At 11:30 PM, I just jumped into my bed. My whole body was sore, but the softness of the mattress would dissipate the pain into thin air. I was snoring so loudly that my mom had to barge into my room and tell me that my snoring was waking everyone up. My eyes got big and in shame I said sorry.

Bzzz!! “Grr!” I woke up to the sharp, annoying sound of the alarm clock. I quickly brushed my teeth and went downstairs to eat some breakfast. I had the plain old OJ and peanut butter sandwich.
“So Adi, you’re going to the doctor’s today right?” said my dad.
“Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me dad” I replied.
My dad nodded his head. I had to go to the doctor’s since my whole body was sore from getting beat up by the boxing gloves.
I opened our enormous garage where we had about 6 cars. I took out my Nissan GTR since I didn’t want the Lambo to get scratched up in downtown Dubai. I had an appointment with DOJO’s Doctorry. This new company DOJO is getting really famous now. I parked my car in the terminal. I had my appointment with Dr. Zigger who was apparently a “renowned” doctor of the DOJO’s Doctorry. I signed my name on the clipboard and was called in for checkup. I was 6’ 6” and 185 lbs. The nurse told me to wait in the room for about 5 minutes.  I didn’t want to be late for the meeting with Etihad Airlines at KINGH. Dr. Zigger came in. He was a tall man, well built with his biceps popping out his shirt, and well dressed. He was wearing the new limited edition Yeezys that Kanye made. I thought I was the only one who afford those shoes.   

“Well hello there Mr. Singh, I hear you won last night.” Dr. Zigger said.
“Yup, you’re right bout that.” I said.
He explained the norms for the checkup. After he checked my blood pressure he said he would give an injection so I wouldn’t feel sore anymore. I brought my arm forward and he instantly gave me the shot. Pain shot up my arm, but I knew it was for the best of me. “Nice meeting you Zigger.” I said. Dr. Zigger replied with an uneasy smile. I checked out and drove to KINGH Industries for the meeting. On the drive to the meeting with Etihad Airways, Dr. Zigger’s smile kept showing up in my eyes. That uneasy smile did not give a assurance that my body would not be sore anymore. I felt as if Dr. Zigger had done something wrong which could affect me in the future regarding my health. I shrugged off that thought after a couple of minutes and focused on my main goal today which was to finalize a business deal with Etihad.
After a long day of work, I drove back home to practice my boxing on the punching bag. I went into the gym room and got my bloody red gloves. I punched the punching bag and right after I gave a jab to the bag I felt like I pinched a nerve in my arm. I tried jabbing with my other arm and I had the same backlash.
“I have gone through much worse boxing, then why does this time it hurt so much!!” I said to myself in anger and agony.

I couldn’t box anymore. I could do any other physical work except boxing. I had devoted myself to the business after I couldn’t box anymore. While going out the groceries, a well built man called out to me. I turned my neck and pointed at myself like I was saying Me? The man nodded. I walked toward him. He was tall and had noticeable muscles.
“Come with me to my house” he said.
I got into the GTR and drove while listening to some music. “It’s Everyday Bro, It’s Everyday Bro, It’s Everyday Bro…” My favorite song was being played on the radio. A few minutes later we arrived at the guy’s house. My instinct inside of me told me that this man had something more inside of himself that was to be known than meets the eye. He had this weird aura of wisdom which captured my attention. “Welcome to my house.” the man said. I entered his house. It was charming.
“So let's introduce each other.” I said so we could start communicating.
“I am Aditya.”
“Yes, I have heard of you.” he replied. “My name is Gupta from Tech Support.” said Gupta.
“Dang your body is well built even though you just work in the Tech Support.” I said.
He replied by saying, “People say that to me all the time.”
“Have you heard of the company DOJO?” asked Gupta.
“Yeah that popular business company.” I said.
“DOJO is not the company you might not know about.” 
“DOJO tries to harm the people to make them cripple at what they are very best at like being a boxer, businessman etc.” “They aim at the people that are the very best at their job.”
“That’s what they did to Muhammad Ali so he got Parkinson’s and they recently just attacked another very good athlete, you.”
“Me?!”, I said in shock.
“I know that you haven’t been in form after you met Dr. Zigger and that’s because you haven’t been in boxing.” Gupta said.
“The injection is the Deroxoicliclipu Shot. It is a magic shot that drained you of all your boxing powers and is why it hurts you whenever you try boxing.” Gupta said so he could explain the situation.
“No wonder it hurts whenever I try to box.” I said. 
“To help you I will put a chip known as the reginator in your body so that you can regain part of your boxing powers.” Gupta said.
I said thank you. Gupta slit my skin my an antiseptic knife and put an electronic chip in my arm where I had got the injection. “Don’t press the button on the chip or else you might be harmed and won’t be able to box anymore in your career and have to retire like Praveen Sharma who was one of the best until he retired 3 years ago due to DOJO’s doings.” Gupta warned.
“All right.” I said.
When walking back to the Camry, I reminded myself of Praveen Sharma. I had heard of him being one of the best boxers until one day when he held a press conference to decide he would leave he world of boxing at the age of 20. It’s been three years and no one person has seen him, including his grieving family who think he is up in the heavens.
I could be the boxer that I was 3 months ago until I temporarily retired due to DOJO. I just hate Dr. Zigger!! Why did he have to do this to me? I missed the invitationals for the Internationals Cup due to him!! “Hopefully this chip will help me attain my powers again!! But the real question is why is Gupta helping me? Is he part of DOJO as well?  Does Gupta want me to be forever cripple as well?
While driving back home I saw a sign that read “ HOSTING THE FIRST EVER DOJOS’ INTERNATIONAL BOXING CUP FOR THE BEST INTERNATIONAL BOXERS IN
DOHA!!, DATE: JULY 2-JULY 10, WHERE: MOJO DOJO, CALL US AT 888-555-9458 TO SIGN UP!!”. Hmm that’s probably a good place to get revenge against DOJO. Obviously the best DOJO boxer is going to be in the finals. With this chip I can regenerate my power and crush them all like a piece of apple(not cake) since I haven’t reached my full power. Once I got home I didn’t say a word and just walked calmly to the Gym room and started practicing my boxing. When I lifted up my gloves from the chest I stored them in, I felt like I was back in the world in which I actually lived. A few punches on the punching bag just made me feel like I was ready for the DOJO International Cup.
“Nobody can stop me now!!” I yelled.
One hour of training made me real sore. Normally 3 hours made me sore, but the chip in a few days will take effect.
“So Aditya, back to boxing huh? Asked my cousin Jhilmil.
“Yea, can you bring some milk since I need to rebuild the strength I lost? I asked.
Jhilmil nodded. I was sweating like crazy. My whole face was wet. Jhilmil came in with the warm milk. I gulped it down my throat at one go.  Milk was my favorite drink. It really helped me get my strength for all the years I have been boxing.
“So you’re going to participate in the MOJO DOJO whatever cup right.” Jhilmil asked.
“Yeah, but how did you know?” I asked.
“Dude we know what that deceitful Dr. Zigger did.” she said.
“Oh, when did I tell you what Dr. Zigger did to me?” I said.
Let me just say you airdropped the notes of the competition to the whole family group chat on WhatsApp.”  Jhilmil said.
I realized right then that instead of sending pictures of business meeting in Los Angeles, I accidently sent my notes on the group chat.So now my family members are in this too. I didn’t want them to know. I shouldn’t have left them in the shade from such a serious matter.

July 1st, tomorrow is competition day. I did more training to get boosted up for the DOJO Cup. No one can stop me now. I decided after doing 3 hours of training that I would spend the rest of the day with myself playing League of Legends with my brother Praneeth. I was playing as my favorite champion, Miss  Fortune while my brother was playing as Ashe. Who knows what might happen in the DOJO Cup. I smirked at a comment I made, “They going to be very surprised to see the lion back in the ring.”
July 2nd: I woke up at 3:00 AM. Our flight was at 6:00 AM. We had to arrive at the Dubai International Airport, Terminal 3 by 4:00 AM. I wore my tuxedo and fancy dress shoes to prepare for the short but fun flight. We would be flying on the first class premiere plane, Emirates to the beautiful city of Doha, Qatar. When our boarding was over, I stepped into the luxurious cubicle room for me on the plane. When I sat down on my seat, I remembered when I was a child living in Dubai and not being able afford these sorts of amenities for family until I started to box alongside forming KINGH Business Corporation. Throughout the whole flight, I enjoyed the Arab food
while watching some movies.  My game was at 5:00 PM. My whole family was going to Doha for the Cup. When we arrived at the Doha Airport, we waited for good hour for my uncle to rent a trailer for us to reside in. “Grandma, what’s on the menu?” I asked. Since we were going by a luxury trailer we had our own rooms and a kitchen. My dad was driving. “Aditya since it's going to be long day let's have some Indian Style Crepes”. My grandma made the best crepes I have ever had. At 3:00 PM we arrived at the MOJO DOJO in Doha. Just looking at the logo of DOJO made me livid. Dojo prepare to be crumbled to pieces by the lion!!

I checked in at 4:45 PM. Game Time is in 15 minutes. My first opponent is from Brazil. His name is Ricardo Flores. He seems like he can be handled very easily. “AND NOW FOLKS WE HAVE OUR COMPETITORS….. RICARDO FROM BRAZIL AND THE REIGNING CHAMPION OF THE EMIRATES….. ADITYA SINGH.”I could hear the fans saying ADITYA, ADITYA, ADITYA like they did 3 months ago until….
“STEP IN!!, AND GET READY TO RUMBLE!!” The countdown was starting. “3,2,1, GO!!” Hopefully this chip from Gupta will help. Dang Ricardo is big. I can see the ripped muscles. I can beat him with just a few hits and he can’t even get a scratch on me.  I lunged forward and punched him down low on his bony thighs and then a quick jab on his face. He was in immense pain right away. Ricardo had no time to recover from those shocking hits after I handed him a deathly shot at the face. The shutters of his eyes were closed. What type of boxer is he if he can’t even handle that pain? To finish out the match, I jabbed him right in the nose and he blacked out. Game Over, just like that. I lifted my arms up to show that the lion was the winner.
“Hey Aditya, nice match.” said my Aunt.
“Thanks.” I said.
I was in the quarter-finals against a Spanish boxer named Toro or Bull. This guy seems like he can be a heck of a challenge than that Brazilian.  My next match is on the 5th so I can get some rest and have some boisterous time with family. “Let’s have some Mexican Food tonight, okay.” Grandpa said. “You don’t have any other work other than eating don’t you.” my Grandma replied. My Grandma indeed did make some Mexican food. My Uncle, Dad, Grandpa, Brother and I had a FIFA Tournament while eating. Before we went to sleep I pressed a button on the trailer so nobody would notice that we were in the DOJO parking lot. The trailer itself became invisible so no one could hear us or see us in the trailer. It was as if we were secluded from the world, like I was when DOJO crippled me.  
Brrr. I woke up promptly after the alarm rang. Right after I woke up I got a call from a strange number from Doha. “
I hear you won, Aditya.” the voice said.
“Who are you?” I asked.
“Gupta!!”
Now I recognized the ecstatic voice. “You have accomplished the 1st level but there are more to come, be prepared.” Beep, Beep. The line cut.
My uncle and I decided to check out together. The malls were alluring  especially downtown Doha. They had a huge food court. The bay area was buzzing with people anticipating who would would the DOJO Finals. Despite being the top person to win the whole competition, I doubted myself. I knew that in at least one fight, I would not be able to take down my opponent since the chip could backlash against me at anytime. Despite having the thought of facing one of DOJO’s top boxers I still had the determination that the Lion is always the king of the jungle and that Singh is Always King. inside of me would be active all the time
Game Day, July 5. If I win this game I going straight to the Semis. I am going to take this match with ease. “STEP IN CONTESTANTS AND GET READY TO...UM… DESTROY EACH OTHER???” Ha, the PA wasn’t even sure what he was going to say. Toro seems like a guy I can handle. I punched Toro right in the gut and you could tell he was in pain and by pain he was in serious pain. I was getting bored, both of my opponents were easily knocked out in just one hit. I am probably getting my strength back.  “AND WE HAVE OUR WINNER…. ADITYA SIIINGH!!” “SINGH IS KING, SINGH IS KING, SINGH IS KING, SINGH IS KING” the crowd chanted.
That win was easy and now I am going to the semis. DOJO you are going down to the ground. My next match is against the “feared” Ryan Higa from Japan. Hopefully this a challenge.
Right after I woke up on July 7th, I noticed that the chip on my arm was no longer there. Where is it? I need it to win!!  Right then I noticed that the chip was on the floor. I had no idea on how to put the chip back in my body. My arm was bleeding but that was no issue for me. The real issue was that I most probably lost all my strength that was being brought back into my body. “Well it looks like a loss for me.” I muttered to myself. At 5:00 PM I entered the ring not at all sanguine about this game. Higa was in a perfect boxing stance while I just stood. Higa might as well be the first person to knock me out after 10 years from when I started at the age of 10. Higa jabbed me in the gut, then the face, and lastly the nose. Right before I was to be knocked out I heard a familiar voice out of all of the fans that said Go Adi!! It was Gupta. Gupta’s voice made me get over the pain and vent all my anger onto Higa. A couple of jabs at the nose took out Higa. I looked up to see Gupta, who was no longer in the stands….

On the board I was in the finals against a boxer from the USA named Rago Zigger and he was sponsored by none other than DOJO. What a nice way to get revenge on the person who made me not able to box for 3 months huh?
For the 2 days there weren’t any boxing games I was training to beat the crap out of Zigger. That fraud made me cripple, CRIPPLE!! “Come on Adi eat.” said my mom. “No not yet, not until I beat Zigger.”
July 10th was the biggest day of my life. Media came in asking me questions before the match. Right before the media came I told Mr. Fake(Zigger) look who’s “back mah boi, the Lion”. Mr. Fake just smiled. Ten minutes before the match started Gupta called me.
“Adi, crucial fact.” “Zigger is going to cheat so he can win.”
“ But how?”
“Zigger uses a machine called Arrangement System made by DOJO.” The machine helps fully reveal a person's powers.”
“So he is going to cheat?” I asked. “
Ya, and good luck.” Beep, Beep. Cheaters, cheaters, everywhere.
“Oh, say can you see..” I listened calmly to the national anthem of the United States before the match. The fans were chanting my name and Mr. Fake’s. I was a one point favorite than Zigger. “MAY THE BOXERS STEP IN, AND MAY THE BEST WIN!!” I can beat this punk in a couple of hits. He has artificial strength not real boxing power, then again can’t be over confident. Zigger struck first. I sidestepped and he fell splat top the ground. I took advantage of that fall and punched him on the back but that made him mad and by mad I mean furious. He got up and beat me up. All I could see was bloodshed all over my body and a purple aura surrounding Zigger. I felt as if I was to be paralyzed. Zigger had unlocked his true potential of the Arrangement System. I have no way to beat him, he reached his true potential. But… Gupta’s voice keeps on ringing in my head. I must do this for Gupta, Praveen and myself. Zigger had ruined me, he had ruined me!! All of sudden a golden aura surrounded. My true potential, I have unlocked it!! I got mad and punched Zigger wherever I could have thought it would hurt and lastly right at the heart. Zigger was on the ground unconscious. I had won. “AND FOLKS WE HAVE OUR WINNER… ADITYA SINGH!!!” Aditya, Aditya, Aditya. I won, I really did!!

DING DONG!! Ah my cup of tea and cookies is ready. After winning the Gold in the Dubai Summer Olympics I think I deserve this much!! RING RING Ugh what is it this time? I pulled out my phone and saw my brother Praneeth(New President of UAE) calling me. What could be so important to have my brother the president calling me?
“Hello Adi this Praneeth and I have an offer of 10 million dirhams per year and working in the UAE State Security that is headquartered in Dubai itself.” he said.
Praneeth is my brother and I can’t reject such a good offer from him. I had to call him back after several hours after discussing this new job offer to my family. My whole family supported me and I decided to take this job but what really concerned me was the judgement of the fans about my decision at tomorrows press conference and meet and greet with fans.
About a couple hours later I called Praneeth to inform him about my decision. This was indeed a hard decision but I just couldn’t get risked from getting injured anymore from boxing and it was the time for someone else to get their time in this exciting sport I clicked on Praneeth’s contact name and at that point I knew what I had to say .“Uh Praneeth, I accept this job offer.”
“Thanks for coming here but I have an important announcement.” I said. “It took me a long time to think about this but I have decided to….DRUMROLL… retire from boxing at the age of 23. The crowd was yelling at me but I had no choice. “I have got another job offer which I have accepted but one thing, thank you for being the best fans in the whole world.” And there I left from my boxing career to continue working in the family business as well as the UAE State Security. BEEP, BEEP. Text from Gupta.
“Dear Singh, I have something important to tell you.” “I am not really
Gupta, I am Praveen, Praveen Sharma the boxer.” “I have decided to return to boxing.” “Hope your time after retirement goes well!” So Gupta was Praveen. I have retired as the best boxer to play the game. Even better than Ali. I have retired at such a low age. But no complaints. I always had a feeling that Gupta was a little strange. Nevertheless it’s great to see another Lion back in the ring.

OJ and peanut butter. I am ready for work after all that hassle in training. “Aditya there’s call for you.” said my mom.
“Coming.” I replied. “
“Mr. Singh we have reports of a rich man, Rhiju Sahu trying to build a wall between Dubai and the Abu Dhabi and we need you now in King Khalifa’s Palace to debrief.” said my assistant Ricky
“Send me the data.” I said.
“Coming right up on your phone.” he said.
I cut the line and got my special Spy Coat. Why did my friend Rhiju have to be involved in this?? Just why Rhiju??  But then again after a year, some action comes my way!!